postal strike!

sam1974

really so how much have you lost today as a result of the strikes,how much are you out of pocket...apart from the phone bill what are the knock on effects for you?

I think that's uncalled for. I do sympathise with the issues raised by the strike, however, I might end up jobless because of it. The company I work for is a fledgling online retailer of party goods. Halloween is the busiest time of year in the party industry by far, and yet our company has had a total of 3 sales in the last week.

Speaking to some of our colleagues in the industry this is an industry-wide problem, and it's because people are not ordering their usual costumes etc online because they dont have confidence in receiving them in time. Halloween itself is a few weeks away but with half-term approaching, lots of schools are having their halloween parties etc next week (like my daughter's). We are relying on the income due to be generated this month to pay our salaries. If the orders dont come in we can't get paid, and therefore our jobs (and possibly the business as a whole) are in danger.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really so how much have you lost today as a result of the strikes,how much are you out of pocket...apart from the phone bill what are the knock on effects for you?

I think that's uncalled for. I do sympathise with the issues raised by the strike, however, I might end up jobless because of it. The company I work for is a fledgling online retailer of party goods. Halloween is the busiest time of year in the party industry by far, and yet our company has had a total of 3 sales in the last week.

Speaking to some of our colleagues in the industry this is an industry-wide problem, and it's because people are not ordering their usual costumes etc online because they dont have confidence in receiving them in time. Halloween itself is a few weeks away but with half-term approaching, lots of schools are having their halloween parties etc next week (like my daughter's). We are relying on the income due to be generated this month to pay our salaries. If the orders dont come in we can't get paid, and therefore our jobs (and possibly the business as a whole) are in danger.

i apologise...but as you can guess...feelings are high at the moment,if people understood that posties do give a damn about their customers...striking is the last thing we want to do...there is just no getting through to people in thier opinion we strike,that makes us bad people....tell people not to take it out on us...royal mail management and the government are not as lilly white as you think...they couldn't give a fluck about the little guy!

Edited by Dr Evil

That's exactly what I'm referring to. Honestly, can you live with the fact that you're getting a bit of extra cash by destroying people's lives and jobs, and effectively taking it from those who have no choice?

You say that RM don't give a crap about the little guy, but you're just as bad by doing this - obviously you don't give a crap about anyone who's not a postman either. Can't you see that it's EXACTLY the same thing? They don't care about you. They don't give you what you want. They only care about getting their own money. You only care about getting your own money too, so you don't care about anyone else in the country and you don't give us what we need.

Edited by Psychosis

I'm sure you're a nice guy, even if you do call yourself Dr Evil :D but right now, as far as I'm honestly concerned, I wish that strikes were illegal and that those who do it would get sacked and replaced with people who are desperate for jobs and would do anything to work.

Nobody is saying the government are lillywhite. I work in the NHS (non clinical), and do you see the nurses striking because they still don't have the 1% pay rise (that's right ONE PER CENT) that was due in April? No, you don't. They get on with their work and the union negotiates while they do so. And call me strange, but dealing with bodily fluids or, in the case of the nurses I work alongside, calming people who have severe mental illnesses who are threatening them with knives, DESERVES a pay rise, and a bit more than 1%. The pensions have also been mucked about with, before you say that the strike is primarily about pensions.

I personally haven't been financially affected by the strike (mainly because I've been getting post throughout - solidarity's great :D ) but to say someone hasn't been affected except by having their phone cut off is trite tripe. Of course they have - we all have. It's costing business £5million a day, and where is that going to be recovered from? Us. Prices will go up, and we'll have to pay them, ergo we're all affected by the strike. And the CWU obviously can't see the long term effect of this which is to loase business to couriers, thereby necessitating job cuts and pay freezes, which will upset the union, who will strike...See where I'm going with this?

Mods, apologies for the long and ranty nature of this. Feel free to wipe it - I just feel better for having typed it :chair:

rnt they going on bloody strike agan soon!?

See my post earlier today - yes, different group every day next week.

I'm just angry that everyone else in the country is being made to suffer because of it. There must be more civilised ways to work these things out than basically holding the country to ransom.

even if we did work to rule...people wouldn't happy....that would result in posties cutting out and bringing mail back at end of duty...because we would no longer come into work upto one hour before our start.we would start taking our breaks,we wouldn't use our cars...we wouldn't overload our bags...things that management have turned a blind eye in the past because the work got done...now they want to increase our deliveries!

I'm sure you're a nice guy, even if you do call yourself Dr Evil :lol: but right now, as far as I'm honestly concerned, I wish that strikes were illegal and that those who do it would get sacked and replaced with people who are desperate for jobs and would do anything to work.

"desperate for jobs and would do anything to work"....but thats going backwards not forward....do we really want a society where people are so desparate they would work for pittance....sounds very Victorian!

its not pittance is it? you still get a decent wage. I however am working for minimum wage while the company I work for gets off the ground, and because of this strike, it may never get the chance and so I'll be earning absolutely nothing. Forgive me if I'm angry.

Honestly, I know someone who is head of a delivery office (before that a PO) and he says that (at least on his end), his men brought it upon themselves. They would run home as soon as they finished working, and any time extra came in after, they'd have to reach out and pay wages for a second person to come in and take care of it because the first person went home early. He says that's the reason they've had to cut jobs and worry about salaries in his, and that he suspects it's the same elsewhere.

its not pittance is it? you still get a decent wage. I however am working for minimum wage while the company I work for gets off the ground, and because of this strike, it may never get the chance and so I'll be earning absolutely nothing. Forgive me if I'm angry.

but as you said if people were desparate enough for work...whats stopping bosses from taking advantage of that....and i don't earn a decent wage....i have to account for every pound i earn....i guess we will just have to agree to dissagree!

We still have high unemployment in this country, and there are plenty of people that would be prepared to work for the postal service, even without any pensions etc. Ok so maybe they would get paid less than you do, but I dont see that as a bad thing to be honest, it looks like the current postal workers, unions etc, are just being greedy. And I'm not the only one to have that opinion.

I believe that unions should be banned. People should work for what they're paid for, and if they dont like it, they should leave and find something else, just like in every other private industry. Striking is simply unacceptable!

Honestly, I know someone who is head of a delivery office (before that a PO) and he says that (at least on his end), his men brought it upon themselves. They would run home as soon as they finished working, and any time extra came in after, they'd have to reach out and pay wages for a second person to come in and take care of it because the first person went home early. He says that's the reason they've had to cut jobs and worry about salaries in his, and that he suspects it's the same elsewhere.

did he also tell you alot of postman start sometimes an hour before they are suppose to,did he tell you they work through their meal breaks,use their cars...just to get the job done quickly and the mail delivered early...we stop doing that most of us would be out till 2 in the afternoon...but come in extra early,work through your meal break...you finish early...where is the harm in that?

We still have high unemployment in this country, and there are plenty of people that would be prepared to work for the postal service, even without any pensions etc. Ok so maybe they would get paid less than you do, but I dont see that as a bad thing to be honest, it looks like the current postal workers, unions etc, are just being greedy. And I'm not the only one to have that opinion.

I believe that unions should be banned. People should work for what they're paid for, and if they dont like it, they should leave and find something else, just like in every other private industry. Striking is simply unacceptable!

your not a facist by any chance are you?

lol, no I'm not facist, but I do believe that if you arent happy with the job you're doing or the pay and benefits you're receiving, you should find something else. It's how most of the world works! You're not being forced to stay there.

lol, no I'm not facist, but I do believe that if you arent happy with the job you're doing or the pay and benefits you're receiving, you should find something else. It's how most of the world works! You're not being forced to stay there.

i have thought about it quite alot...leaving that is...paying into the pension scheme that was one of the factors for sticking with it.

The people like Jael001 are losing out just because ur not getting what u want, i mean if ur not happy leave, can u really see ur self working them all ur life??? i mean even if i worked there i would still work no way would i strike and lose money.

"sigh's".....of course you would still work....."walks off shaking his head"

Nobody is saying the government are lillywhite. I work in the NHS (non clinical), and do you see the nurses striking because they still don't have the 1% pay rise (that's right ONE PER CENT) that was due in April? No, you don't. They get on with their work and the union negotiates while they do so. And call me strange, but dealing with bodily fluids or, in the case of the nurses I work alongside, calming people who have severe mental illnesses who are threatening them with knives, DESERVES a pay rise, and a bit more than 1%. The pensions have also been mucked about with, before you say that the strike is primarily about pensions.

It was 1.5% in April. And supposedly another 1% in October. Or that's what we were offered (NHS scientists.)

Don't get me started on the NHS pensions either...tis ridiculous.

Anyway for a lot of NHS staff (clinical at least) it's actually illegal for us to strike. I'd be fired for it.

Though I actually don't have a problem working with body parts. :lol:

There is a strong anti-Royal Mail feeling, and to a certain degree, I can understand. But I feel that some of it is a tad selfish. The wages offered for Postal Workers isn't great, and barely borders on good.

Although I feel that striking is rarely the best choice, how bad do you think it must get before someone has to consider going without money in order to secure one's future.

Someone said about people wanting jobs even without pensions. If you did a poll of the unemployed, and I count among that sector at the moment, there would be a massive majority who would want a pension or company contributions. In other words, future security.

I empathise with the person who works for a small business, but you may need to take your own advice and possibly look for another job that does not rely on the Postal Service. A saying of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" comes to mind.

To the person who says she would never strike. If you can say that you would never strike, even in the most extreme circumstances, then you are either a very unique person or someone who likes to be messed around.

All of the people striking have commitments and lives to live. All want to be able to provide for their families. All they want is a fair deal. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just fair.

Oh, and if all of the disgruntled posties left the service then you would moan as no mail would be delivered on time.

The Royal Mail is not a privately owned company like More Than or Direct Line. It has to comply to guidelines set down in law, in the same way the BBC does.

I think it is wrong to crucify Dr Evil for the whole strike, and many of you are, as the strike has been caused wholely by the senior management of the Royal Mail.

The Unions are a necessary evil, otherwise the whole country would return to times where workers had no rights, no paid holiday, no sick pay, simply nothing.

Think about that before you bitch at Dr Evil for standing up for his rights.

As regards the new strikes...the 24 hour strikes are being done in certain areas. So, collections will be missed one strike,a nd deliveries the next and sorting the next.

The staff striking are not greedy. Far from it. They could have done what the Fire Fighters did and strike longer. The Unions, albeit a necessary evil, are looking after their members rights.

You want the bad guys..then look at the senior management who have destroyed the reputation of the Royal Mail. There may be little pockets of footsoldiers who have "taken liberties", but you get that in any company/business.

Dr Evil..I may not like the strikes, but stand up for youself.

Oh, and my Father worked for the former British Rail before it was privatised. He worked there for 39 years until he retired 12 years ago. So, he worked for a company similar to the Royal Mail all of his life.

Edited by AJ Jones

I empathise with the person who works for a small business, but you may need to take your own advice and possibly look for another job that does not rely on the Postal Service. A saying of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" comes to mind.

Why should I look for another job? There's nothing wrong with the one I have. It's not our fault if people are unable to receive the goods they pay for because of the strike. We do offer a courier service, but if someone is buying a halloween costume for £10 for example, they are not prepared to an extra £10+ on top for a courier, particularly if they could normally get it by standard Royal Mail delivery for only £2 or £3 delivery cost.

The point is that we're a new company, this is our first year's trading, and our business plan etc has relied on the extra business usually generated at this time of year. We are competitive in our prices and everything else we offer, and yet we are unable to make sales at the moment. Our main supplier also supplies a large number of our competitors and have told us that sales are practically at a standstill, whereas this time last year, sales were in the many hundreds a day, not a mere handful. Everyone along the line is losing out. And this is just one small sector of the online retail industry. Many many businesses who rely on the Royal Mail to deliver their goods must be suffering.

Why should I look for another job? There's nothing wrong with the one I have. It's not our fault if people are unable to receive the goods they pay for because of the strike. We do offer a courier service, but if someone is buying a halloween costume for £10 for example, they are not prepared to an extra £10+ on top for a courier, particularly if they could normally get it by standard Royal Mail delivery for only £2 or £3 delivery cost.

The point is that we're a new company, this is our first year's trading, and our business plan etc has relied on the extra business usually generated at this time of year. We are competitive in our prices and everything else we offer, and yet we are unable to make sales at the moment. Our main supplier also supplies a large number of our competitors and have told us that sales are practically at a standstill, whereas this time last year, sales were in the many hundreds a day, not a mere handful. Everyone along the line is losing out. And this is just one small sector of the online retail industry. Many many businesses who rely on the Royal Mail to deliver their goods must be suffering.

You were the one who said it to Dr Evil, so I felt that it was only right that your comments warranted the same suggestion. There are many Posties who love their job, so why shouldn't they fight for it?

I am fully aware of small businesses and the ups and downs. So, I know full well how this strike action will impact all businesses and customers.

P.S. Out of respect for your company, I won't comment on the business plan you mentioned.

Edited by AJ Jones

It was 1.5% in April. And supposedly another 1% in October. Or that's what we were offered (NHS scientists.)

Don't get me started on the NHS pensions either...tis ridiculous.

Anyway for a lot of NHS staff (clinical at least) it's actually illegal for us to strike. I'd be fired for it.

Though I actually don't have a problem working with body parts. ;)

Sorry, wrong way round :P Still pants though, as a pay rise, and wrong that certain sectors can't 'express' themselves.

And parts, fine. Fluids? :D