A Genuine Suggestion

AJ Jones

I’d also like to raise some points about ‘moderating’.

Let’s start using a bit of common sense with our rules. In my now ‘infamous’ thread about the lack of horror guests – I posted a link to an American convention. Theses were removed.

In what way did that endanger Showmasters? – are you seriously worried I and many others are going to go there instead? – let’s get real!.

Two reasons I can think of:

One, as I've posted on another thread, and as somebody else has said here, is just simply as a matter of manners. We're here "enjoying" a resource provided for us by Showmasters; it behoves us to show a modicum of respect for that. As somebody who has enjoyed some corporate hospitality in my time, I can assure you that if, say, NotWest Bank took me along to a day out at the cricket and I spent the day spouting on about, say, Snarklays Bank... I would definitely be viewed as an unconscionable boor, and wouldn't be invited back (unless I was a hugely important mega customer).

Secondly, it's easier to issue and police an absolute rule, rather than get into a debate about "how much" impact another show may have. Granted a show in the US is likely to attract maybe single figures of SM's customers. Maybe one or two, if that. That said, if they have to spend £450 on travel, accommodation and expenditure at the show, it may curtail their expenditure at several future SM events. But let's say that's an inconsequential number. Once you've allowed a show because it won't have "much" of an effect, how do you calculate "much"? How about a show in say Vienna? Or Amsterdam? Or in some French port when a tabloid is doing £1 ferry crossings? Or how about one in Aberdeen that's six months before Collectormania Glasgow. You'll end up with people arguing that people who are going to Aberdeen will have plenty of time to "regenerate" their cash before Glasgow, and they wouldn't be going to any other SM events anyway because it's too far south, and so it doesn't really matter, and...

I think we're quite capable of finding stuff to argue about on here without giving ourselves another avenue to wander down - better to have a blanket ban.

From the perspective of a newbie (to the board) I'm quite surprised by the attitudes of some newbies towards the staff. I had to be one of THE most annoying ones when I joined. I couldn't think of enough questions per day to throw at them, I was vocal about things I disliked, and haven't shied away from that (e.g. the Eclipse seating thing a while back). I've never felt like people are trying to 'quash' me and was grateful for the perspective of people who do know better. Doesn't mean I'm wrong but the fact that they disagree doesn't mean they're trying to 'quash' me. In fact, I felt positively welcomed (David, Queen Sindel were both especially nice) despite being completely annoying. But if your first thing on the board is to plough full steam ahead with trying to eat the staff alive, of course it's not going to feel as welcoming.

So, hmm... that post didn't come across quite as positive as I was feeling! I just wanted to say thank you for doing what I see as a good job :headscratch:

Edited by Psychosis

From the perspective of a newbie (to the board) I'm quite surprised by the attitudes of some newbies towards the staff. I had to be one of THE most annoying ones when I joined. I couldn't think of enough questions per day to throw at them, I was vocal about things I disliked, and haven't shied away from that (e.g. the Eclipse seating thing a while back). I've never felt like people are trying to 'quash' me and was grateful for the perspective of people who do know better. Doesn't mean I'm wrong but the fact that they disagree doesn't mean they're trying to 'quash' me. In fact, I felt positively welcomed (David, Queen Sindel were both especially nice) despite being completely annoying. But if your first thing on the board is to plough full steam ahead with trying to eat the staff alive, of course it's not going to feel as welcoming.

So, hmm... that post didn't come across quite as positive as I was feeling! I just wanted to say thank you for doing what I see as a good job :chair:

Thank you Psychosis. :headscratch:

Two reasons I can think of:

One, as I've posted on another thread, and as somebody else has said here, is just simply as a matter of manners. We're here "enjoying" a resource provided for us by Showmasters; it behoves us to show a modicum of respect for that. As somebody who has enjoyed some corporate hospitality in my time, I can assure you that if, say, NotWest Bank took me along to a day out at the cricket and I spent the day spouting on about, say, Snarklays Bank... I would definitely be viewed as an unconscionable boor, and wouldn't be invited back (unless I was a hugely important mega customer).

Secondly, it's easier to issue and police an absolute rule, rather than get into a debate about "how much" impact another show may have. Granted a show in the US is likely to attract maybe single figures of SM's customers. Maybe one or two, if that. That said, if they have to spend £450 on travel, accommodation and expenditure at the show, it may curtail their expenditure at several future SM events. But let's say that's an inconsequential number. Once you've allowed a show because it won't have "much" of an effect, how do you calculate "much"? How about a show in say Vienna? Or Amsterdam? Or in some French port when a tabloid is doing £1 ferry crossings? Or how about one in Aberdeen that's six months before Collectormania Glasgow. You'll end up with people arguing that people who are going to Aberdeen will have plenty of time to "regenerate" their cash before Glasgow, and they wouldn't be going to any other SM events anyway because it's too far south, and so it doesn't really matter, and...

I was the one who deleted the links, and this has pretty much explains why I did it.

Thanks TommyT, you saved me lots of typing. :unsure:

• Moderators

So, hmm... that post didn't come across quite as positive as I was feeling! I just wanted to say thank you for doing what I see as a good job :D

Honestly it was a lot more positive than some stuff we get on here :D

Thanks though, we do appreciate it when people are respectful and realise we just volunteer to help and we do our best, and we have to put up with a lot of crap off people unnecessarily.

Everyone is more than happy to help, and I gotta say the people that try to stir stuff up on here are in the very very very small minority. It's just often more noticeable when people are arguing than when things are going happily lol

I agree some people can be nasty on-line, I have never experienced it directly on showmasters forum, but have on others.

I have always thought that showmasters have remained profesional whilst making there comments on the board. I know so many moderators who do not do that.

I agree some people can be nasty on-line, I have never experienced it directly on showmasters forum, but have on others.

The internet is an extention of the big bad world open to all sorts and sh!t will happen and people will go on for a laugh and tease, ridicule and be politically incorrect - you just need thick skin, not take it personally or too seriously and just have a laugh with it and be careful not to say anything silly as teasing is so easy.

I have always thought that showmasters have remained profesional whilst making there comments on the board.

I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate.

• Showmasters Admin

i am going to lock this thread as i think every one has had there say and i want to clean up the fourm a bit and have less threadfs were peopel are just getting at each other

lets just remeber we are all fans and go to the events to have fun which we come on here to talk about after the events

so lets all chill and try to meet new people on here that like the same thing

be exalent to each other "bill & ted"

jason