Other Horror Guests

Mike The Monkey

We are talking whole of ‘horror’ here – that’s a hell of a lot of movies!. You’re telling me that it’s almost impossible to get a handful of any characters, from any horror film shot in the US?.

It’s funny that ‘other show’ never seems to have a problem. For example they have yet another Hostal guest is listed for their show!.

We’ve got Hellraiser again!, and theirs isn’t even a ‘horror themed event’.

/

David I don’t have grievances with Showmasters.

I just expected more horror guests than we have at the moment.

How many people do I have to row with on here, before anybody will at least see my point.

/

It's no difference to any other advertising we see all day

This board is impossible – this line basically says ‘well everybody else is using false advertising, so I don’t see why this company can’t mislead me too’.

AAAAAAAAAAAGH!.

I can definitely see where you are coming from, but mentioning that another show has a Hostel guest is a tad pointless. The reason I say this is that certain agents will only work with certain event organisers. I am sure that Showmasters have come up against this problem, and I know that events I ahev worked on in my home town have come up against a brick wall due to agents involvement.

Another you need to remember is that not all actors etc want to do signing events. I know of numerous actig talent who would draw lines around the block and then some, thus making them alot fo money, but simply do not want to do such events.

As I have said in my thread "A Genuine Suggestion", expectations can be a downfall for us all. I suggested that we "hope for the best" but "prepare for the worst".

You have been unfortunate in that there are many "new posters" who have joined this forum "just to moan". So, you have that stigma to contend with. Do not bite at people who disagree with you as other people might jump on it. State your case and let others moan at you. It is easier to get noticed with nice polite suggestions, rather than aggressive ones.

Just my two cents...not having a go..

P.S. As regards advertising, marketing is a funny old game. Unless it states something specific, then ask questions. Some people may see it as spin, but do not let that comment(s) impact on your point.

Edited by AJ Jones

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading some old threads and this reminds me of a couple of other people who signed up and continually insisted that anyone who supports showmasters is an evil idiot who just won't listen. Everyone is listening, most just don't agree, that's all.

I have no idea if for example Hostal guests are linked to the other show, and are out of reach. You know more about that than me.

But I respect what you’re saying – I just find it hard to believe that these are the ONLY horror guests that we can find for this weekend. That just sounds absolutely crazy.

If you use potentially ‘misleading’ advertising, is it not surprising that there are so many complaints here. How about we just go back to being honest with our customers again please?.

It seems I for one expected more ‘horror’ than I’m clearly going to get – and once again I’m annoyed I’ve fallen again for these stupid tricks again.

/

I haven’t called anybody who defends Showmasters evil.

I have stated that anybody who encourages ‘false advertising’ is a bit crazy.

I have also got frustrated, with others for arguing for arguing sake.

I have no idea if for example Hostal guests are linked to the other show, and are out of reach. You know more about that than me.

But I respect what you’re saying – I just find it hard to believe that these are the ONLY horror guests that we can find for this weekend. That just sounds absolutely crazy.

If you use potentially ‘misleading’ advertising, is it not surprising that there are so many complaints here. How about we just go back to being honest with our customers again please?.

It seems I for one expected more ‘horror’ than I’m clearly going to get – and once again I’m annoyed I’ve fallen again for these stupid tricks again.

/

I haven’t called anybody who defends Showmasters evil.

I have stated that anybody who encourages ‘false advertising’ is a bit crazy.

I have also got frustrated, with others for arguing for arguing sake.

Also take into account that there are a few weeks to go until the event, and you would be surprised how many guests confirm at the last minute. Filming is hot at the moment as the new season is underway and mid season shows are being done etc...so finding guests can be hard at the best of times. Horror is in a big purple patch at the moment, and if you check what films are being made you will see that alot of horror flicks are in production. But, I will remind you that there are a lot of stars who do not want to do events. We have to live with that.

As regards peopel arguing for arguing sakes...I can see your point. But previous posters have made an uncomfortable bed for newbies who may have issues to rasie to lie on. Also, bringing up that another show has this or that star will generally start off long term posters on here who have had to put up with nongenuine posters stirring the pot. If you are the genuine poster you say you are, then keep with it. Don't disappear.

Mike I think you have made several valid points and argued your case well. I am sure that certain individuals deliberately enjoy jumping on anyone who makes comments they don't approve of, undermining their point by classing them as moaners especially if they are new.

I tend to do what AJ Jones recommends, place my comment and wait and see what responses I get and if a certain someone doesn't like it then tough. Your view is just as valid as theirs.

Simple: if you don't like the line-up or think you've been shafted over the proposed event.....don't go! It really is that easy! No-one is forcing anybody to a fan event where you don't think it fulfills what you desire and/or expect.

For my two cents, I'm really happy with the line-up, especially the horror guests.......can't wait to meet Romero again, get to see Hooper, have Barbeau and Atkins sign my copy of 'Escape From New York' but even more so I'd love it for Doug Bradley and Kenneth Cranham to be at C12 as that would just top the 'Hellraiser' reunion for me but I'm not going to start whining about the fact that they are not appearing (as of yet! :smile: ). Sure, this will only be my second Showmasters event but I think they've done a bang-up job so far.

Now, about Mr Bradley......

"Horror themed event" means not that C12 will totally focus on Horror guests.

Actually that would be exactly what it means; a theme is a unifying idea that is a recurrent element in a work or event. If it had been billed as a horror-themed event, then one could reasonably expect that the whole of the event would have a horror focus. Granted this would be an unrealistic way to run a CM event which is based on having a wide range of guests from a variety of genres, but if somebody actually said that it would be a "horror-themed event" then people could easily and understandably get the wrong end of the stick. Better to use a phrase such as "an element of horror", or something similar which doesn't give a suggestion of an exclusive or all-pervading feel.

There again, did anybody official ever use the phrase "horror-themed event" anyway?

I see - it’s like this one?

bumblebeebanner.jpg

You could easily ‘accidentally’ think that this is the one from the movie?

Not the finest example of advertising, I'll grant. I was far from impressed to find it wasn't the actual car.

horrorbanner.jpg

This one implies that effort is going to be made to get horror guests.

Indeed, and horror guests are what you have. Can one ask how many horror guests you were expecting? Given that if you have 30-40 guests from a single genre, there just won't be that many people interested with enough money between them to make the event financially viable. With that many guests you have to appeal to a wide variety (i.e. a large number) of people, just to drag in the expenditure. Otherwise you'll be relying on everybody seeing most of the guests, and assuming that most of your visitors have a budget of several hundred pounds is nonsense and business suicide.

Not just ring up the Hellraiser agent and book what they’ve got.

Oh come on,you've also got two iconic directors, a couple of people from The Fog; chuck in people from Interview With A Vampire and The Mummy, and it's not quite as bleak as you paint it. Granted one or two more guests with a horror element in their CV would be good, but I think that this lives up to the promise of "Horror Guests".

I don't disagree with the idea that a few more horror guests would be good; I disagree with your rather simplistic rubbishing of what's already on the menu.

I am also intrigued by the promise of "spooky themed events" - there is the promised party (although details of that are scant to date), but I'm wondering what the other spooky themed events will be; potentially it could be quite entertaining, but some more details would be nice.

Actually that would be exactly what it means; a theme is a unifying idea that is a recurrent element in a work or event. If it had been billed as a horror-themed event, then one could reasonably expect that the whole of the event would have a horror focus. Granted this would be an unrealistic way to run a CM event which is based on having a wide range of guests from a variety of genres, but if somebody actually said that it would be a "horror-themed event" then people could easily and understandably get the wrong end of the stick. Better to use a phrase such as "an element of horror", or something similar which doesn't give a suggestion of an exclusive or all-pervading feel.

There again, did anybody official ever use the phrase "horror-themed event" anyway?

The actual phrase used was "spooky themed", just like the advert on the website says. I have checked the first flyer handed out at C11 and nothing was changed from that layout.

I have already said that I understand where Mike is coming from as "spooky themes" or "horror themed" is really very much open to interpretation.

But as you say, focussing on one theme never was the way CM was run, and if one has been lurking here for a while tat really shouldn't come as a surprise. :huh: That's also why I used the phrase "not totally focussed" in my original post. :smile:

Thank you QS, and the others for seeing where I’m coming from.

This is the horror fans chance for guests, every other genre has had its chance – we’ve had Star Wars, Aliens, Lost, LOTR, Hero’s, Star Trek, etc, etc.

We finally get the announcement that this is going to be ‘spooky themed’ / ‘horror themed’ and we get this limp squid.

Don’t get me wrong, the directors are fabulous.

But the others:

If you search the internet for ‘top 100 horror movies’. The Fog isn’t mentioned in the majority of lists including the IMDB [the only ones I found had it ranked at roughly 85 and 55].

Hellraiser guests given it’s a UK film, are the equivalent of the common Star Wars characters.

/

But as you say there are a couple of weeks to go.

I just feel a bit let down given the advertising.

It seems they booked the directors, and then announced this idea but then from that point forgot all about it.

• If you don’t like my thread, don’t read it – it was hardly rocket science from the title was it?.

That is THE greatest comeback I've ever heard to the ever-so-repetitive "if you don't like it don't go!" LOL. :smile: There's always some clever-clogs who'll say that.

Oh come on,you've also got people from Interview With A Vampire and The Mummy,

I think that's Mike's idea of "sniffing around" hoping that the guests have done some horror to warrant their inclusion in the horror theme. They guy from Interview... was only an extra and Erik Avari was only in one scene in The Mummy and is more famous for Stargate anyway (i doubt anyone's gonna meet him purely just for The Mummy)

Usually we have 2, maybe three Horror guests per show, sometimes not even a single one. (Nicky can probably comment more on this, this is more his field of interest.)

I'd say that's true, usually we dont get this many horror guests but I have to agree with Mike in some way that it seems SM have stopped getting horror guests now. So far I'm just glad SM's idea of "horror" isn't Buffy/Scream or any of that teen stuff and is more of the old skool material.

Personally I wouldn't count The Mummy as Horror anyway, or is that just me? :headscratch:
It has horror elements but is more of a fantasy adventure that you could watch with the kids and is definately not a heavy-weight horror. The original Boris Karloff film was more horror.

hostal

Hostel. If by horror you mean Hostel (which I get the impression is what you think 'horror' is) they do have a Hostel guest - that little fella out of Harry Potter.

In my day (it wasn't that long ago), horror meant George Romero, John Carpenter, and Wes Craven. And we have Romero himself at C12, along with a couple of Carpenter related guests, so I don't think I'd call it a washout.

once again I’m annoyed I’ve fallen again for these stupid tricks again.

Yes - once again Showmasters have duped you with their nefarious plan. One day you'll learn, right? Kill Mr Bond. Just put a bullet in his head. Don't mess about with sharks with lazer beams, just throw him off a building. Done.

The trouble with your posts is that they smell like "I'm having a go at SM for vague and nebulous reasons that I myself can't entirely quantify'. What you seem to be saying is this : -

"I want more horror guests, because I like horror movies, and SM promised me some, and there's not enough"

Well, tough, to be honest. I want Courtney Cox to come to C12. But we all have to be realistic. I was quite dissapointed with MusicMania - there was only 1 credible guest in my view. But I'm looking forward to the next one - it will get better, and at some point "my time will come". It's alright to express dissappointment - but let's try to put a positive spin on it?

Ok let’s have a discussion of what is horror, and what isn’t.

Hostel is a current horror movie, granted it wasn’t very good, and certainly won’t make any top 100’s – but it’s popular. As is Saw, Halloween, etc etc.

The stars from these films are regularly at the American conventions as well as those from the top 100 films. [i did provide examples but they were removed]

Both are ‘horror guests’ I’ve mentioned in my posts.

/

We currently have ‘The Fog’ – which isn’t a ‘current horror movie’ or one that actually makes anybody’s ‘top 100’, and Hellraiser which scrapes in about number 50-30 [and I think I’m being generous there]. The sequels are largely forgotten.

/

I have no idea why you think I have some vendetta against Showmasters.

Is questioning the amount of horror, at the ‘horror themed event’ – really causing trouble? or just a fan having an opinion?

Yawn.

/

I’m not after Courteney Cox, or anything of the sort – who said anything about big names?.

Asking for that kind of unattainable star in my opinion, just fuels pressure on the organizers.

I just want horror guests! – is that too much to ask!. Sssssh!.

/

MusicMania = Collectormania 12 ‘Horror’

/

dissapointed = disappointed?!?!

lazer = Laser?!?!

I'm all confused Mike.

Forgive me for not highlighting the letters, my life is more interesting.

Yawn.

Ok let’s have a discussion of what is horror, and what isn’t.

Hostel is a current horror movie, granted it wasn’t very good, and certainly won’t make any top 100’s – but it’s popular. As is Saw, Halloween, etc etc.

The stars from these films are regularly at the American conventions as well as those from the top 100 films. [i did provide examples but they were removed]

Both are ‘horror guests’ I’ve mentioned in my posts.

/

We currently have ‘The Fog’ – which isn’t a ‘current horror movie’ or one that actually makes anybody’s ‘top 100’, and Hellraiser which scrapes in about number 50-30 [and I think I’m being generous there]. The sequels are largely forgotten.

/

I have no idea why you think I have some vendetta against Showmasters.

Is questioning the amount of horror, at the ‘horror themed event’ – really causing trouble? or just a fan having an opinion?

Yawn.

/

I’m not after Courteney Cox, or anything of the sort – who said anything about big names?.

Asking for that kind of unattainable star in my opinion, just fuels pressure on the organizers.

I just want horror guests! – is that too much to ask!. Sssssh!.

/

MusicMania = Collectormania 12 ‘Horror’

/

dissapointed = disappointed?!?!

lazer = Laser?!?!

I'm all confused Mike.

Forgive me for not highlighting the letters, my life is more interesting.

Yawn.

Dude, try and not let yourself get stressed. As I have said before, some people will be sarcastic in their replies if they think that you have just come on here to complain. It isn't fair if you are genuinely concerned abotu certain issues, but that is down to people who have come on here to complain and then disappear. No one is seriously saying, or I hoep that they are not, that you are here to damage Showmasters as there is nothing that I have seen than suggests that. But it is forum politeness, and on every other forum, to not mention the competition or put links in. It can be seen as a tad rude.

I can see where you are coming from, but the more you bite at some comments, the more some people will put another one out there for you.

Just try and chill a bit. Don't want you going on a mad killing spree at MK :jason: do we? That wouldn't be good for business or future events.. :P

But, as regards top 100's..these are down to personal tastes and I would rate Hostel I & II. But I guess that is my sadistic side :chair: .

Also, and I will say it again, getting guests isn't easy. Putting to one side the people who do not wish to attend such events in the UK - I am trying to remember the name of two stars who hate flying long haul too often - you have to factor in filming schedules, availability due to personal and/or family commitments such as children and agents who will or will not work with certain organisers.

One final thing Mike, and this isn't a personal dig but an observation, as someone who has worked in marketing/advertising for many years there is nothing in the Showmasters advertising that is misleading from a legal standpoint. I emphasise legal standpoint, as it is obvious that you thought that it would be a horror themed event - something that was not specifically worded. As I said, nto a personal attack on you, just an observation.

So my friend, smile and try and look forward to the event. You will find that someone will not liek yo uon the internet as it is easy to do. Hey, I know of 2 people on here who detest me for reasons that I won't go into on here. Try and do what I do..laugh and ignore them.

Wil.

Mike the Monkey.

I agree with you 100% on most of your points. As others have said on here before, there are several people on here who think they are a law unto themselves. Just have your opinions and let others moan about it. Don't ever take it personally as that will just fuel others ego.. The horror line up is ( in my humble opinion ) a little poor but thats just as they don't appeal to me. Im still hopeful for a couple of Michael myers actors HINT HINT..!!!! Nick castle to be precise. Keep smiling Mike.. :o:YAHOO:

We finally get the announcement that this is going to be ‘spooky themed’ / ‘horror themed’ and we get this limp squid.

As a self confessed Horror obsessive I have to disagree with your description of the current line up as a "limp squid"...

Let's take just a brief look at four of the guests' genre work...

Adrienne Barbeau - Romero's "Two Evil Eyes"

Romero's "Creepshow"

Carpenter's "The Fog"

Carpenter's "Someone's Watching Me!"

Tom Atkins - Romero's "Creepshow"

Romero's "Two Evil Eyes"

Romero's "Bruiser"

Carpenter's "The Fog"

"Halloween 3 Season Of The Witch"

"Night Of The Creeps"

"Maniac Cop"

Tobe Hooper - "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

"Eaten Alive"

"Salem's Lot"

"Funhouse"

"Poltergeist"

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2"

"Spontaneous Combustion"

"The Mangler"

"Toolbox Murders"

"Mortuary"

"Masters Of Horror" (2 Episodes)

George A. Romero - "Night Of The Living Dead"

"Martin"

"Dawn Of The Dead"

"Creepshow"

"Day Of The Dead"

"Monkey Shines"

"Two Evil Eyes"

"The Dark Half"

"Bruiser"

"Land Of The Dead"

"Diary Of The Dead"

I don't know about everyone else, but with the amount of movie m.emorabilia for those films that I own, it's going to be a big enough struggle deciding which items to get signed by each guest as it is, let alone if further horror guests of their calibre are announced.

I'd be happy if the ONLY guests whatsoever at C12 were those four - it's an amazing opportunity to meet them all in one day and Showmasters deserve MAJOR praise for getting them IMHO.

I'd be happy if the ONLY guests whatsoever at C12 were those four - it's an amazing opportunity to meet them all in one day and Showmasters deserve MAJOR praise for getting them IMHO.

Yeah, bro. They are my main reason for going and I campaigned for Barbeau for a while too. She and Atkins were also in John Carpenter's Escape From New York (1981) and although not horror is still one of the greatest cult and sf films ever.

Horror guests I'd like to see:

I'd like to see:

Sarah Michelle Gellar - The Grudge 1 & 2, The Return, I Know What You Did Last Summer & Scream 2 (also Buffy)

Evan Rachel Wood - American Gothic (also Thirteen)

Emily Bergl - The Rage - Carrie 2 (also Taken)

Michelle Trachtenberg - Black Christmas (also Buffy)

Lindley Booth - Dawn of the Dead, Wrong Turn & Cry Wolf (also 4400)

Heather Donahue - The Blair Witch Project (also Taken)

Emma Caulfield - Darkness Falls (also Buffy)

Ali Larter - Final Destination 1 & 2 (also Heroes)

Robin Tunney - End of Days, The Craft and The Zodiac (also Prison Break)

Sarah Polley - Dawn of the Dead

Kristy Wu - Cry Wolf (also Buffy)

Fairuza Balk - The Craft & Island of Dr Moreau

Thora Birch - The Hole & Hocus Pocus (also American Beauty)

Anna Faris - Scary Movie saga - do they count ? :P

Edited by Daniel