Other Horror Guests

Mike The Monkey

There was [and still is] this big billing of a ‘Horror Themed Event’.

But am I missing something?.

We’ve got the two directors – fantastic.

Then a few common Hellraiser guests [who probably share the same agent]

Then a couple from the fog.

It’s hardly what was billed is it?

/

The Americans are doing it so much better:

Edited by QS: links removed. Please do not mention other events on this forum. The rules do not allow this. Thanks. :WAVE:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

There's more horror guests than there'd usually be, and a Horror Ball too apparently.

I guess it depends on what your personal expectations are, but I wouldn't say it's 'hardly what was billed'.

Let’s just get some ‘basic’ facts sorted first.

• The majority of Showmasters customers are not registered to this site.
  • Those customers have every right to register and complain as much as those who are registered.
  • If you don’t like my thread, don’t read it – it was hardly rocket science from the title was it?.

Collectormania is primarily a Sci-fi/fantasy event, and I'm assuming a lot of the customers they've built up (myself included) are there for those, and so they are probably looking to please those too.

Plus, there are still several weeks until C12, and SM are very good at pulling amazing guests out at the last minute.

Have a little faith, and if the guests aren't your cup of tea, then don't go.

Edited by KrazyKid197

Let’s just get some ‘basic’ facts sorted first.

• The majority of Showmasters customers are not registered to this site.
  • Those customers have every right to register and complain as much as those who are registered.
  • If you don’t like my thread, don’t read it – it was hardly rocket science from the title was it?.

I am pretty new to this forum myself and I agree with your comments. In general I have found the forum to be very useful and the majority of the members very helpful and fairly laid back. However a small minority of what appears to be old hands seems to be rather impatient with new members complaining that they always ask the same questions or complain about how the events are run as though it is an act of high treason. Ignore them and their posts! In my experience there are plenty of other people willing to respond positively. Why bother to have a forum if you can't complain or make suggestions as Showmasters will never know what people really think or want.

In response to the original thread, I don't think it is quite what you might expect from a horror themed event. I would have hoped for a few more big horror actors to be present or for all the actors involved to have been in a horror movie or tv series. However the guest list isn't bad at all.

• Moderators

In response to the original thread, I don't think it is quite what you might expect from a horror themed event. I would have hoped for a few more big horror actors to be present or for all the actors involved to have been in a horror movie or tv series. However the guest list isn't bad at all.

I'm sorry, but that's a totally unrealistic hope/expectation. There was no way that it was ever going to be like that - it'd alienate WAY too many attendees, after all Collectormania isn't a convention so there's not one specific 'thing' that it'll cover.

As has been said before, there are likely more horror guests here than usual, and it just depends on who is available etc. Plus the 'horror theme' isn't exactly plastered all over the website or anything as the main selling point.

As for what else you said - people are as patient as they can be, but it doesn't take much time for people to read pre-existing topics/answers/etc. We all help as much as possible, but it's fair enough to expect others (new or otherwise) to make the effort as well. There's no point in making similar topics for stuff that has been covered already on numerous occasions. Opinions and suggestions are fine, but there'll always be those that are just looking to stir things up.

What David has posted about sums it up.

"Horror themed event" means not that C12 will totally focus on Horror guests.

At other prior shows you may have noticed special "reunions" - James Bond, Batman, Red Dwarf or themes like this. Basically the "horror theme" is C12's "reunion". I guess Showmasters wanted to go for a broader scope of horror and not just focus on one movie, plus of course the close date to Halloween added up the Horror Ball idea.

For the reunions it's usually anywhere from 5 to 20 guests, so the Horror theme is really not covered that bad in comparison to other prior themes. :D

Edited by Queen_Sindel

At least we’re in agreement that the ‘advertising of a horror themed event’ exists.

I accept that there are a few weeks to go, but as it currently stands – there is a distinct lack of horror guests.

People will question / highlight / complain [see this thread] and then Showmasters will get all arsey, and announce it’s probably yet another conspiracy. The cycle just continues.

All we wanted was what they advertised. I don’t expect a ‘horror themed’ event to be every guest – but I expect it to be more than it is at the moment.

/

I think you’re trying to humour me with the ‘reunion’ idea QS, as this clearly currently a bit limp.

• Moderators

But was it advertised as a higher number of Horror guests than what we've currently got? No.

You can't say there's a 'lack' of horror guests as that's just your opinion. Same as your own PERSONAL 'expectation' about it being 'more than it is at the moment'.

They've not failed to do anything really. There's just not as much as YOU would like. We don't all get exactly what we want I'm afraid.

At least we’re in agreement that the ‘advertising of a horror themed event’ exists.

Of course it exists - it's on the flyers and on the website. :poki:

People will question / highlight / complain [see this thread] and then Showmasters will get all arsey, and announce it’s probably yet another conspiracy. The cycle just continues.

I can't really see where Showmasters got arsey in their statements. About the conspiracy... we're having so many suspected conspiracies on the forum here meanwhile, I am really losing track. :poki:

All we wanted was what they advertised. I don’t expect a ‘horror themed’ event to be every guest – but I expect it to be more than it is at the moment.

I think you’re trying to humour me with the ‘reunion’ idea QS, as this clearly currently a bit limp.

No, I am actually being completely serious.

From what I understand it the problem is that you understand the wording "horror themed" differently than others and that the event is not coming up to your expectations.

That's why I brought up the reunions, to give you some examples. You said that you're a long time reader on the forum, but even long time readers miss things sometimes.

Of course there are some stronger and some weaker reunions.

I am not that much a horror fan, so I can't really comment on the "quality" of the guests that you do seem to have an issue with. However, they are not doing bad quantity-wise.

I see 8 Horror focussed guests on the website, plus a couple of more guests have appeared in Horror movies too, such as Robert Picardo. That isn't too bad seeing the usual number of guests is around 30, and I absolutely see the "Horror theme" here.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

Honestly you two, with those responses, you clearly must love arguing for the sake of it.

So with your logic, we could also advertise this show as a Star Wars themed event [4 cast members], or a Hero’s themed event [4 cast members] too.

There are after all ‘more than usual’ – what a complete load of tosh!

If you label it and advertise it as horror theme, you should put some extra effort in, that or just not label it anything.

/

Now we've got to a point where we’re sniffing around other confirmed actors trying in hope, to find if they’ve ever played a bit part in anything vaguely horror like.

Actually there aren't more Heroes or Star Wars guests than usual. I remember there being a huge flurry of Star Wars guests at LFCC, and four MAIN cast members were at LFCC from Heroes.

Honestly, George A Romero being here makes it a damn sight more horror themed than most cons. Brilliant!

Edited by Psychosis

horrorbanner.jpg

I think that they have lived up to this so far, especially with about 3 weeks still to go...

Thanks - I was doing a post with the same banner and lost the will to live half way through! I don't see anywhere there that says the event is horror themed, just that there will be horror guests (there are) and spooky themed events (could be apple bobbing for all we know). And if the counter argument is 'it's called horror themed on the forum', remember that the majority of SMs customers don't even come here :dance:

• Moderators

People can be accused of 'sniffing around' or whatever, but it's simply a case of showing that Showmasters are delivering what they said they would, and proving that this is simply a case of someone (or some people) wanting more more more.

Going on the website ..

Clearly advertised Horror guests

TOBE HOOPER - Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc.

GEORGE A. ROMERO - Night of the Living Dead etc.

SIMON BAMFORD - Hellraiser

NICHOLAS VINCE - Hellraiser

ANDREW TIERNAN - Interview with the Vampire

CLARE HIGGINS - Hellraiser 1&2

ASHLEY LAURENCE - Hellraiser

TOM ATKINS - The Fog, Creepshow

ADRIENNE BARBEAU - The Fog, Creepshow

MICHAEL J ANDERSON - Twin Peaks, Carnivale

ERICK AVARI - The Mummy

DANNY DYER - Severance

That's 12 out of 38, which nearly a third of the lineup.

Horror appearances for other guests (some, not all!)

IAN MCNEICE - From Hell

ROBERT PICARDO - Gremlins 2, 976EVIL, Masters of Horror

Cancelled guests

Catherine Hicks - Child's Play

Sure, there might not be 30 BIG NAMES from Horror, but I for one was never expecting that. I love horror, but I'm realistic in my expectations. It's not me or QS or anyone else arguing for the sake of it - it's simply people understanding what is happening with the event.

Some people do come on here who do have very little idea what to expect, so excuse me for trying to be friendly and trying to explain things. :dance:

There's more Horror guests confirmed than guests for any other show or movie. Usually we have 2, maybe three Horror guests per show, sometimes not even a single one. (Nicky can probably comment more on this, this is more his field of interest.)

I'm really sorry if this doesn't count as a theme for you personally, but the theme is there for me as a "non fan". I get it you are a really hardcore Horror fan, so I can kind of see where you're coming from though.

I realize that a statement like "Horror themed" is very much open to interpretation. But Collectormania does cater to a variety of shows and movies, so even with a "Horror theme" the focus will not be entirely on Horror movies.

I mentioned Robert Picardo because some people seemed to want to see him for the work he has done in Horror movies. As I have said previously, I do not consider myself a Horror fan and can not judge on this matter.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I see - it’s like this one?

bumblebeebanner.jpg

You could easily ‘accidentally’ think that this is the one from the movie?

photobutton.jpg

This one you think you’re going to get ‘professional photography’

horrorbanner.jpg

This one implies that effort is going to be made to get horror guests.

Not just ring up the Hellraiser agent and book what they’ve got.

It’s basically Showmasters spin.

/

Those people weren’t booked for their horror roles; they were booked for their primary role.

It's just lucky for you they also did a horror part sometime in their lives.

This is just crackers!.

There was [and still is] this big billing of a ‘Horror Themed Event’.

But am I missing something?.

We’ve got the two directors – fantastic.

Then a few common Hellraiser guests [who probably share the same agent]

Then a couple from the fog.

It’s hardly what was billed is it?

/

The Americans are doing it so much better:

Edited by QS: links removed. Please do not mention other events on this forum. The rules do not allow this. Thanks. :lol:

I think that you will find that USA based acting talent, directors etc are more amaible to attending USA based events than flying thousands of miles. The Americans have a bigger pool to fish in, then the UK Convention market as the majority of filming is done in the USA and Canada and thus allows flight sin and out to attend events. Flying into the UK is alot harder to accomodate in filming schedules.

It’s basically Showmasters spin.

Common sense is needed. It's no difference to any other advertising we see all day. And for all we know the 'Hellraiser agent' is the only one to confirm so far, not the only one called. It's too early to say that this is all they are able to get. I like sci-fi/fantasy, not horror, but I don't like all of the guests from those genres. Same as I'm sure, as a horror fan, that you don't like all horror films, so maybe it's best to wait and see what happens in a couple of weeks before you get too disappointed.

Edited by liamsgirl

• Moderators

I think I'll give this topic a rest now, simply for one reason.

You can usually tell the difference between someone with a genuine grievance, and someone who signs up to pick apart every last thing about Showmasters and their events.

Unfortunately, this topic is clearly going the way of the latter regardless of what anyone says, so it's fairly pointless anyone replying now.

I agree David, some people will moan just for the sake of it and wont listen to reason from any angle.

How about if I change the topic to...."too many bl**dy horror guests" since I could care less about any of them and I'd much rather their places were taken by people from tv shows or films I have actually seen!

See Mike the Monkey? It sounds ridiculous doesnt it? And that's what you sound!

We are talking whole of ‘horror’ here – that’s a hell of a lot of movies!. You’re telling me that it’s almost impossible to get a handful of any characters, from any horror film shot in the US?.

It’s funny that ‘other show’ never seems to have a problem. For example they have yet another Hostal guest is listed for their show!.

We’ve got Hellraiser again!, and theirs isn’t even a ‘horror themed event’.

/

David I don’t have grievances with Showmasters.

I just expected more horror guests than we have at the moment.

How many people do I have to row with on here, before anybody will at least see my point.

/

It's no difference to any other advertising we see all day

This board is impossible – this line basically says ‘well everybody else is using false advertising, so I don’t see why this company can’t mislead me too’.

AAAAAAAAAAAGH!.