QUESTION: If a guest is having a photo opp does that mean...

nicky

i'm really not a fan of photo ops they just look fake to me i'm a big fan of photos at the table plus it's the money thing i personally can't justify spending another £10-20 on a photo.

I remember going to another event a couple of years ago and thinking i'm so glad showmasters don't have photo shoots but i guess it was always something that was going to happen cause you get double the money as business wise it makes total sense but as a fan photo ops only means the same as no photos to me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe it's more that they're getting better guests that are more popular and so they dont have time to take photos and chat for ages to everyone that wants it.

But they have time to meet all those people a second time for a photo-opp?

QUESTION #2:

Do photo opps take priority over people who didn't manage to get a VT cos they all ran out?

Eg. James Masters usually has a photo opp and VTs. If the VTs run out and stop at say 1500 (even though there is still demand to meet him) and he still does a photo opp then doesn't that mean he has sacrificed meeting more fans for the sake of having a photo opp instead?

If photo opps do take priority over VTs:

Autos and photo opps are the same price anyway I think so maybe it makes no difference to the guest cos they are still making the same money even though they're meeting less individual fans. I know if you missed a VT you could still get a photo-opp but I prefer the auto rather than get a photo with someone that doesn't have time to talk to me and yet pretend to look chummy. I know some genius here will tell me to get there and queue early. Well guess what, that still doesnt change the fact that other fans who want an auto will miss out just cos the guest is doing a photo opp instead of more VTs.

I fail to see your point. So because you think autographs are more important, therefore they must be? I don't want an autograph, I want a photo opp. Are you saying you want me to miss out on what I want so that other people can get autographs instead? They can get through a photo opp faster than they can go through autos.

What does it matter if you don't like them? Evidently there are hundreds who do. I really don't want a photo leaning over the table unless there's no photo opp available.

Yeah, that sounds fair and I understand that...However, it seems silly that you can get a photo with some of the guests at their desks but others you must get a photo opp instead. If all guests are allowed to have photos with fans at the desk then it eliminates the necessity of a photo opp and thus saves time to sign and have photo simultaneously. It's quicker, easier, more practical and more fans get through.

Actually, that's not true. It takes longer for someone to get out their camera, set it up, hand it to someone to take, lean forward, get the guest to lean over, and wait for an amatuer photographer to take it than it does to stand next to someone, smile, and walk away.

Edited by Psychosis

I don't want an autograph, I want a photo opp. Are you saying you want me to miss out on what I want so that other people can get autographs instead? I really don't want a photo leaning over the table unless there's no photo opp available.
No disrespect meant, Psychosis. I see your point. Each to their own - some people prefer autos and some prefer photos.

Either way if you have a photo opp or not, someone might miss out whether its cos they wanted to allow time for photo opps or cos they wanted allow time for more fans to get autos. It's a thought out decision I'm sure.

Exactly. This way there's opportunity for everyone to get what they want. If you take away one, there's only opportunity for some people to get what they want.

i think there is two ways of looking at the photos ops and the over the tabel issue.

the photos at the table i reckon should be allowed as with kate mulgrew, she uickly posed as photos were taken depite the fact the queue was massive. note i said a quick snap not 3 hours getting someone to use your camera. i find it also very useful if you have someone who can take your pics for you.

The other issue witht he over the table photos is that if the celeb is having a photo shoot, i would accept that no posed pics to be taken as obviously if you are having a photo shoot done you as a celeb are trying to make as much money as possible.

however i have been to loads of shows where there has been a no posed photos sign up and have been able to get a posed photo. it is simply by asking the person signing if i could pop back when they are less busy. most of the time they just say is your camera ready and i have it then and there. i have gone back to others towards the end of the day to get a photo. its all in the apprioach. as long as your willing to comprimise with the person, there doesnt seem to be much of an issue.

i have seen however at some shows such a horrible trend of people expecting a photo. I can understand why some celebs are stopping posed shots. i alway respect a persons opinion. it is their right. The wost one i ever saw was with David Carradine at a different event where this big bloke pulled Davi to his feet and TOLD him to smile, david just said no and sat down. I was next in the queue and spent a few mins talking to David and he posed for a great photo with me.

as i said its all about the approach and respect.

Mike

i find it also very useful if you have someone who can take your pics for you.

For the more popular guests in particular isn't there always a crew member or assistant standing by to do that? If pics are allowed and its a big queue there's usually a crew member telling people to get cameras ready.

• Showmasters Admin

I believe it is quite crap how you pay all that money to get a signed item from a guest, then you are told you cant have a photograph with the guest, unless you buy a photo-op ticket.

Whilst I understand autograph shows/events are run by businesses, this whole photo-op thing is just getting ridiculous because now it seems as though the only way to get a photo with the guest is to buy a photo-op ticket . . . what a con!!!

PLEASE SOMEONE AGREE WITH ME!!!

Ad

No one should agree with you just becous you tell them to

listen we do not make guests not allow photos at the table it is up to the guest and it will always be down to them

ln fact i would prefer guests did take photos at the table as it takes only a little more tim, and if the guests are not crazy busy then it really does not make much of a difference at all

and the photos at the table are not the same as the pro photo shoot as all the people that have paid for them thay are so much better and something so cool to keep and put on your wall

photos at the table are good for proving you meet the actor but not much else

i hope people see were i am comming from

jason

Also, some people travel miles and miles to meet these guests, and being told you have to buy a photo-op ticket is like being kicked in the teeth.

Speaking as somebody who has played a fair bit of rugby I can only say that you, sir, have a lot to learn about being kicked in the teeth...

Speaking as somebody who has trained with World Karate Champions, I can only say that you, Sir, have a lot to learn about being kicked continually in the head, body, and legs, as well as being thrown to the floor.

Maybe's next time you make a comment like that you should think before you speak, as you dont know who you are talking to in terms of what a person does in their leisure time . . .

Ad

Also, some people travel miles and miles to meet these guests, and being told you have to buy a photo-op ticket is like being kicked in the teeth.

Speaking as somebody who has played a fair bit of rugby I can only say that you, sir, have a lot to learn about being kicked in the teeth...

Speaking as somebody who has trained with World Karate Champions, I can only say that you, Sir, have a lot to learn about being kicked continually in the head, body, and legs, as well as being thrown to the floor.

Maybe's next time you make a comment like that you should think before you speak, as you dont know who you are talking to in terms of what a person does in their leisure time . . .

Ad

put your hand bag's away ladies....

Jason,

I never told anyone to agree with me.

I said "Please someone agree with me".

There are people who agree with me and disagree with me, but not once did I attempt to tell anyone to agree with me.

Ad

Ad

Already have lol.

Was just making a point.

• Showmasters Admin

one other thing the photo ops brings in more income for the guests which helps us bring in bigger names

and i can also say this has "definitely" been the case

so photo ops helps us get some of the bigger guests

so it must be a good thing

jason

Jason,

I never told anyone to agree with me.

I said "Please someone agree with me".

There are people who agree with me and disagree with me, but not once did I attempt to tell anyone to agree with me.

Ad

Ad

Already have lol.

Was just making a point.

ok thats fine

i think you just came across a bit agressive mate

sorry for that

lets all chill and remeber its supposed to be fun

we cool ?

jason

• Showmasters Admin

I believe it is quite crap how you pay all that money to get a signed item from a guest, then you are told you cant have a photograph with the guest, unless you buy a photo-op ticket.

Whilst I understand autograph shows/events are run by businesses, this whole photo-op thing is just getting ridiculous because now it seems as though the only way to get a photo with the guest is to buy a photo-op ticket . . . what a con!!!

Ad

No one should agree with you just becous you tell them to

listen we do not make guests not allow photos at the table it is up to the guest and it will always be down to them

ln fact i would prefer guests did take photos at the table as it takes only a little more tim, and if the guests are not crazy busy then it really does not make much of a difference at all

and the photos at the table are not the same as the pro photo shoot as all the people that have paid for them thay are so much better and something so cool to keep and put on your wall

photos at the table are good for proving you meet the actor but not much else

i hope people see were i am comming from

jason

Oh lighten up. :D I wasn't the one making any comparisons about how something feels to getting kicked in various parts of the body. And yes, I've no idea how you get your jollies, but I note that you don't specifically mention getting kicked in the teeth. The point that I was trying to make was that being told that you can't get over-the-table photos with the guest *probably* doesn't hurt as much as getting smacked in the kisser with a sturdy rugby boot on the end of a 17 stone prop on the hoof. You'll certainly spend less time at A&E, I can assure you.

Maybe you just have a huge threshold to physical pain, combined with an rather sensitive soul, but I thought that your comparison was hyperbolic and verging on the ridiculous.

Put another way - if at the show there is a big sign saying "No photos with the guest" with a big bloke wearing hobnail boots standing next to it, with small print on the sign saying "you can actually however get a photo over the table, however you'll then need to kneel in front of this bloke here whilst he kicks you hard in the teeth. And you'll need to sign a waiver saying that this is all consensual." how many people do you think are going to opt for the pain of a kick in the teeth, rather than the pain of no photo or paying for a photoshoot? I can't see Captain Boot the Kicker being very busy, can you?

B)

I think both photos over the table and photo opps can be really great. I guess it does depend on how busy the guests are. If taking photos over the table slows down a very long queue I would get a bit impatient I think.

I was a bit surprised at LFCC that William Mapother didn't do any photos over the table. But after reading the explanation (that he thought it unfair to those people who had paid for a photoshoot) I can see his point.

At the end of the day I think it's a bit presumptuous to expect a photo over the table. After all you pay for the autograph and that's what you get...Everything else is just the icing on the cake. :D

OT>>> Don't know if this has been answered elsewhere already, but I couldn't find it and I was really wondering why at the recent LFCC people were strongly discouraged from taking photos of people like Dominic Monaghan, Hayden Panettiere and the other Heroes guests from the queue?B)

I don't really understand the 'not taking pictures in the queue' thing either. It's not holding anyone up and as it's not directly in their faces, they shouldn't be affected by any flashes. It does seem a strange rule.

I don't really understand the 'not taking pictures in the queue' thing either. It's not holding anyone up and as it's not directly in their faces, they shouldn't be affected by any flashes. It does seem a strange rule.

Maybe its just because sometimes it can be a bit off putting, people trying to take photos of you and flashing lights in your direction. Ok so the actor probably arn't looking stright at the cameras of the people in the ques who are taking pics of them, but they must be able to tell people are taking pics of them, and be able to see the flash going off out of the corner of there eyes occasionally?

B)

LLAP :D

Ad

I totally agree with you (although I can see the other side of the argument). Luckily the problem does not often arise for me. :)

QUOTE(Adz931 @ Sep 30 2007, 01:07 AM)

Ad

I totally agree with you (although I can see the other side of the argument). Luckily the problem does not often arise for me. :)

I completely agree and have been quite vocal about this. It seems to be the trend all the major shows are following.

QUOTE(Adz931 @ Sep 30 2007, 01:07 AM)

Ad

I completely agree and have been quite vocal about this. It seems to be the trend all the major shows are following.

What I want to know, is whats so different about a signing event to a covention other then guest talks and parties?

I mean the only conventions I go to, you get for your money a photo with a guest which is given back to you signed, why do they not do this at signing events? Is it just because of the time involved.

Because you don't get it back signed at signing events its one reason why I prefer over the table photos..

I go and get them developed myself then get the guest to sign them, either that day or the next day, at I think its more worth it to me...

I have always thought photo shoots at a signing event, were a bit of a con, but if people are willing to pay xxx amount for them, then who am I to argue...

B)

• Moderators

What I want to know, is whats so different about a signing event to a covention other then guest talks and parties?

I mean the only conventions I go to, you get for your money a photo with a guest which is given back to you signed, why do they not do this at signing events? Is it just because of the time involved.

Because you don't get it back signed at signing events its one reason why I prefer over the table photos..

I go and get them developed myself then get the guest to sign them, either that day or the next day, at I think its more worth it to me...

I have always thought photo shoots at a signing event, were a bit of a con, but if people are willing to pay xxx amount for them, then who am I to argue...

Well, as stupid as this is going to sound, the difference is quite simple - a signing event is a signing event, and a convention is a convention.

The pricing structures are completely different because they are different things. You can't expect to get the same thing at each one because they're not the same.

Short example - you can buy the same thing in different shops, or in different restaurants etc, but you wouldn't expect EXACTLY the same pricing in all of the places would you? Not at all.

Why do they not do it at signing events? Because that's what they've chosen to do. They're under no obligation to let you do so just because conventions do. Surely that's easy to understand? Different companies provide different services for different prices. That's the way the world works.

I don't see why a signing event would want to give away a bunch of free autographs on photos - that wouldn't make good business sense to be fair.

Well, as stupid as this is going to sound, the difference is quite simple - a signing event is a signing event, and a convention is a convention.

The pricing structures are completely different because they are different things. You can't expect to get the same thing at each one because they're not the same.

Short example - you can buy the same thing in different shops, or in different restaurants etc, but you wouldn't expect EXACTLY the same pricing in all of the places would you? Not at all.

Why do they not do it at signing events? Because that's what they've chosen to do. They're under no obligation to let you do so just because conventions do. Surely that's easy to understand? Different companies provide different services for different prices. That's the way the world works.

I don't see why a signing event would want to give away a bunch of free autographs on photos - that wouldn't make good business sense to be fair.

My questions were more rhetorical then anything, I kinda new the answers, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with them...

B)

Edited by zebredy