Gold Pass Goody Bags

Fry

My word there are quite a few backlashes this year after Earls Court. tut tut :D

I was someone who bought a gold pass this year. ive bought one the year before also and i probably will buy one again. as much as i was a little disgruntled when i arrived to london not to recieve a goody bag it was purely accidental as to why we havent had them.

other point being as well is that there will be plenty more people buying gold passes if the people in here complaining, dont buy them again. the advantage of advancing into any queue or front of photo shoot queues is such a plus for alot of people they wont care if one year there was a slight mistake on a goody bag which is worth next to nothing anyways. i had like 2 things in it last year. the main part of the prize is the autograph pack. which then again i was less than pleased with also this year but it comes down to preference of actors i guess too...

On the other side of the coin though I cant see many other companies pulling in half the names that SM manage to do so you have to give them some credit.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing is, there is a postal strike this Thursday and basically finishes next Wednesday!

And no, you cannot blame Royal Mail, its the CWU who are to blame!

Edited by Fry

The best thing is, there is a postal strike this Thursday and basically finishes next Wednesday!

The CWU are not to blame....trust me the strike is a valid one...jobs and working conditions depend on it!

Zebredy you seem to be going around a lot lately jumping in on every negative Showmasters discussion and encouraging everyone. There's no need for it really, especially if doesn't effect you.

Dr Evil, I certainly wouldn't blame the postal service for EVERYTHING - of course it's no-ones fault the bags got left behind, but the delivery service has been notoriously bad in recent times unfortunately.

we provide one of the best postal services in the world...its a shame its ruined by management happy to waste money paying agency staff to do deliveries rather then on trained postman instead!

The CWU are not to blame....trust me the strike is a valid one...jobs and working conditions depend on it!

Zebredy you seem to be going around a lot lately jumping in on every negative Showmasters discussion and encouraging everyone. There's no need for it really, especially if doesn't effect you.

Dr Evil, I certainly wouldn't blame the postal service for EVERYTHING - of course it's no-ones fault the bags got left behind, but the delivery service has been notoriously bad in recent times unfortunately.

we provide one of the best postal services in the world...its a shame its ruined by management happy to waste money paying agency staff to do deliveries rather then on trained postman instead!

How can the CWU not be to blame. They are the Union representing the post office workers and those negotiating with the Execs at Royal Mail. They are also the ones who call for the strike who their members (post office workers) vote on.

A funny story involivng the CWU is that I worked for a company that did their IT training. We had to send them the training manuals and they complained that they arrived late. We had to remind them that there was a postal strike on that they arranged!

How can the CWU not be to blame. They are the Union representing the post office workers and those negotiating with the Execs at Royal Mail. They are also the ones who call for the strike who their members (post office workers) vote on.

A funny story involivng the CWU is that I worked for a company that did their IT training. We had to send them the training manuals and they complained that they arrived late. We had to remind them that there was a postal strike on that they arranged!

Royal Mail excecs have backed the CWU and its members into a corner that they cannot get out of...with its unfair proposals....i can't afford to go on strike....but i can't afford not too...the future of our jobs and pensions depend on it...

Another one? You have got to be kidding me. It's ridiculous.

the strike days are this Friday and Saturday...and Monday and Tuesday....the union does not do this lightly...it could make or break its members....

the strike days are this Friday and Saturday...and Monday and Tuesday....the union does not do this lightly...it could make or break its members....

The Oxford postal system is cr*p enough anyway. (I've yet to see a 1st class letter get anywhere around here in less than 3 days). This is NOT helping.

The Oxford postal system is cr*p enough anyway. (I've yet to see a 1st class letter get anywhere around here in less than 3 days). This is NOT helping.

take it up with your MP....

An update. Some Goody bags have been sent out, but I'm guessing the post is still erratic after the strikes. We are working on getting all the others out in the next couple of days.

I don't think that the postal strikes are to blame; postal strikes were suspended on 9th August, and certainly postal deliveries to my home and my office have been good for several weeks. (Granted it might not be the same throughout the country, but generally I thought recovery from the strikes was taking less than a fortnight).

Unfortunately both Royal Mail and CWU have confirmed that there is a postal strike starting noon on Thursday for 48 hours, and another starting at 3am Monday for 48 hours. (http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=1000002&mediaId=51600692 http://www.cwu.org/news.asp?step=3&NID=1821) With a strike starting Thursday lunchtime into the weekend, and another running very early Monday to very early Wednesday, you would have to figure that anything in the post that doesn't arrive by this Thursday is unlikely to arrive before next Thursday.

That said, bad news aside, I hope people appreciate your apology and your update.

It is amazing how this topic has gone from Goody Bags to Postal Strike Reasons. Lets hope it all works out as my regular Postie is a diamond. I won't give you his opinions on the strikes, but lets all hope that everyone gets their Goody Bags.

Mind you, according to family in Australia, you do get mail when you should over there. If that happened over here we would all be in shock as we couldn't tell someone that "it is in the mail" :dance:

Edited by AJ Jones

The problem with the CWU is the same as the problem with any union - they expect to have jobs for life, regardless of their level of competence, in a society where the concept of rewarding mediocrity was (rightly) left behind 20 years ago. They're relics of the 1970s.

To be perfectly frank, if I were CEO of Royal Mail (and critically if legislation allowed me to) I'd sack the lot of them, without exception, and employ workers who didn't expect that the world owed them a living. I'd take the same attitude with the transport union - it sickens me that they permitted to cause absolute havoc by striking for no reason whatsoever and get rewarded for it, where there are nurses (for example) working 12 hours a day for a relative pittance. Train Drivers earn on average around 36k a year. Pretty unskilled job - sorry but it's true. It requires no education, no real training. A nurse earns on average in the early 20s. Appalling.

The problem with the CWU is the same as the problem with any union - they expect to have jobs for life, regardless of their level of competence, in a society where the concept of rewarding mediocrity was (rightly) left behind 20 years ago. They're relics of the 1970s.

To be perfectly frank, if I were CEO of Royal Mail (and critically if legislation allowed me to) I'd sack the lot of them, without exception, and employ workers who didn't expect that the world owed them a living. I'd take the same attitude with the transport union - it sickens me that they permitted to cause absolute havoc by striking for no reason whatsoever and get rewarded for it, where there are nurses (for example) working 12 hours a day for a relative pittance. Train Drivers earn on average around 36k a year. Pretty unskilled job - sorry but it's true. It requires no education, no real training. A nurse earns on average in the early 20s. Appalling.

Hey MikeDonovan..one thing I found out recently which shocked me was that people employed in the Government Owned/Run sector (Public I think most people call it) can and often retire aged 55 (my Father worked for the old Government owned/ran British Rail and was pensioned off at 55) because those of us in the business sector (Private I think most people refer to it as) fund this possibility through out taxes and national insurance contributions. On the flipside of the coin, more and more private sector workers are working until 60 and beyond in order to secure a reasonable pension. So, without wanting to get into any sort of debate on here about this subject, I personally find this terrible for private sector workers as they often find themselves in a position of no long term security from a financial position. I am sure that someone will rebuttle this, but the Pension issue is one that was recently brought up due to the transport and postal worker strikes by Government Officials. Maybe this is why it could be changing for workers in Government owned/ran businesses like the Royal Mail and similar organisations?

Anyway, keep the faith people. Some things are worth the wait. Roll on CM12.

As regards the lack of training for Train Drivers...I can definitely agree on that. I worked for British Rail during the tail end of the 80s, and some of the drivers didn't know their ar*e from their elbow. It amazed me how some of them got or kept their jobs...

36k? Jesus. I make 14. (Should be 15k this year, but have the NHS organised a payrise...course not.) Even qualified with a masters degree it'll be ten years plus before I'm up to 30k.

*shrugs* To me, striking is unprofessional. If you sign up for a job, on the salary and the demands of it, you can't really start not coming to work if they don't change it.

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the bar-room wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yes sir, the check is in the mail."

- Kurt Russell as "Jack Burton" - Big Trouble In Little China (1986)

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the bar-room wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yes sir, the check is in the mail."

- Kurt Russell as "Jack Burton" - Big Trouble In Little China (1986)

And Jack was told...you must be nuts..have you heard about the strikes? I won't see that check for years..if at all!! :thumbup::YAHOO:

well your not in charge thank god....i've paid into the pension fund for the last twenty years...i was lead to believe that when i retire at 60 i would get my company pension...i've now been told today i won't get it now till i'm 65...that now leaves me no choice but to continue working until i'm 65...alright for Royal Mail to move the goal posts...not ok for us to to strike for their unfair proposals!....by the way our ceo earns over £1,000,000 a year and he is part time!

Actually Gold pass and post office bashing.

I hate the post office too. Looking forward to the full removal of their monopoly so I can actually get my ebay items to the buyers.

Hey ,

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Not CWU & Post Office Bashing .....

Gav

Hey ,

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gav

Yeah, good call.

Seeing as there is basically no post until next Wednesday, thats nearly 6 weeks waiting (5weeks and 3days to be exact) and only one of those weeks can be blamed on the postal strike.

So that leaves 4 weeks and 3 days without the elusive goody bag and from what I have read so far its not SM's fault but the postal service.

The big question is out of those that have been sent, did anyone here receive one? So far I dont know anyone that has. Oh right, sorry, problem with the post again!

Hey ,

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gold Pass Goody Bags

Gav

Yeah, good call.

Seeing as there is basically no post until next Wednesday, thats nearly 6 weeks waiting (5weeks and 3days to be exact) and only one of those weeks can be blamed on the postal strike.

So that leaves 4 weeks and 3 days without the elusive goody bag and from what I have read so far its not SM's fault but the postal service.

The big question is out of those that have been sent, did anyone here receive one? So far I dont know anyone that has. Oh right, sorry, problem with the post again!

Well Said .

I doubt they will ever arrive and if they do they will most prbs be pants anyway .

Gav

well your not in charge thank god....i've paid into the pension fund for the last twenty years...i was lead to believe that when i retire at 60 i would get my company pension...i've now been told today i won't get it now till i'm 65...that now leaves me no choice but to continue working until i'm 65...alright for Royal Mail to move the goal posts...not ok for us to to strike for their unfair proposals!....by the way our ceo earns over £1,000,000 a year and he is part time!

I'm sorry to hear about your pension. However I will say this - the stark reality is that Royal Mail is not in a good monetary position right now. They are facing extreme competition from without, and extreme resistance to change from within. Any attempt at change by Adam Crozier is viciously resisted, often for little or no reason, by the CWU - who punish the entire country for their own shortsightedness by striking (just as with the TGWU). There are many professions (mine being one of them) that have no unions, yet outperform unionized environments on almost every metric, relying only on market forces and resource liquidity to do so.

If the unions don't start working *with* the management, the entire organization will implode. The only organizations that can grow and survive in todays economy are those that embrace change - a very good example of one that did just that (despite being a highly public sector, unionized environment prior to their privatization) is BT. Royal Mail need to follow that template IMHO.

PS Regarding Adam Crozier's salary, the economic reality is that if Royal Mail offered £50k salary for their CEO post no-one would ever take the role.... :poki:

According to my postie, there will be a delivery tomorrow as the strike is from midday. There will also be a delivery on Saturday morning, and then back to normal next Wednesday.

Edited by AJ Jones

PS Regarding Adam Crozier's salary, the economic reality is that if Royal Mail offered £50k salary for their CEO post no-one would ever take the role.... :YAHOO:

for a part time £50,000 a year....i'd take it!.....and remember he's also the man that gave Sven Goran Erikson the england managers job...need i say anymore more!