Future of RingCon

showmasters

• Moderators

I've been to check on the Heroes Event thread; this is being held in March and already there is information about photo-shoots etc. This sort of information along with a schedule of events should have been in place for another show by now!

Rosie x

I know this isn't any help to anyone in *this* topic and wanting to go to another show, but I do firmly believe this has been a strong learning experience for Showmasters in relation to running a different type of event, and so with Eclipse and Lockdown they're aiming to get things right immediately. Evidently mistakes have been made with this show, so a different (and hopefully greatly improved) approach is being taken with future events.

Like I said, I know that doesn't help at all with this event :D

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to a few LotR conventions and I've not yet seen JRD or Andy Serkis. I met David Wenham in Milton Keynes last year and found him to be, as I gathered autographs for several friends, unfailingly courteous and charming and good fun, but I'd love to have the time to ask him questions and have the opportunity to have a photograph taken with him.

I'm a bit puzzzled by the "I've already met him so wouldn't bother buying a ticket to see him again" school of thought. To me, it's a bit like saying, "No, I'm not going to see Manchester United play again: I've already been to one of their matches." :D I've heard John Noble speak four times and there are still questions that I want to ask him that I've heard no one else ask him. Yes, you might have heard many of the LotR stories but the actors and people from WETA are not one-trick ponies: they have done things before and after LotR. I am going to another show in Germany BECAUSE I've met many of the actors before and I know them to be good value.

RingConUK is very expensive and it has a long, long way to go before it becomes good value for money. I sincerely hope it succeeds, but I'm not very hopeful.

Hi everyone!

Firstly, apologies for the lack of information on another show recently. We have had several other events over the past few weeks that have taken a lot of our time, but we have still been pushing hard to move things along with another show. This has proved very hard though, as the main stars of the trilogy are extremely busy these days, limiting when they are available, and along with all sorts of other factors, this has really curtailed our ability to come back to you with any concrete information. This problem isn't limited to us: another show in Germany has suffered from the same problem, and has changed to a multi-media con due to lack of guest availability!

We know that the long wait for news has been frustrating and we really do appreciate how patient you have been. We now have some solid information that we can give you so that we can move forward, and have decided that the best thing to do is to ask you all what you think, as ultimately our decisions affect you and we want to do what will work best for those of you who have always supported us.

SO,

We have the option of securing David Wenham and John Rhys Davies for another show UK. We feel that both are great guests and would be fantastic in a convention setting. However, we need to know that they are the type of guests that not only you want to see, but that would encourage those of you who have not already done so to book for the event!

Currently we only have about 70 tickets sold. We are well aware that may just simply be because of the lack of announcements. However, if we are to proceed with booking more high calibre guests then we need to know that there are people out there who still want to book, and that the people we are looking at will help make them do that. Would the addition of David and John encourage enough of you who haven't already booked to do so? To make this a decent event for the fans, we need at least 300 attendees; is there enough fan support still out there for that?

Obviously David and John are not the only guests we are working on, but they are the two major names who we confidantly feel we can swiftly confirm at this point, and with the show two months away, we need to make a decision now as to whether this event is viable for you and for us.

Clearly if we do not go ahead with another show then everyone who has paid will get a full refund. However, we much prefer to run the event and hope that the comments in this thread will show that that is what you all want too! :D

Thanks for sticking with us on this, and we hope that we will be able to push the event forward with the new guests we have mentioned, and others, very soon!

The Showmasters Team

IN SUMMARY: What we need to know - if we add David Wenham and John Rhys Davies, then will those of you out there who haven't yet booked do so?

In other words - I take it its not financially worth booking the guests if no more than 70 people are going to come, thats what you are really saying.

I would book if these were announced but in all honesty this is you're business and you take the gamble so if it doesnt sell dont blame us. I think you are safe with this one but we arnt organising it and I do realise how much a guest (or his agent) asks to appear at these things.

This event is not cheap and with only one guest announced of course people have been sceptical about booking. We havnt had much news for a while. People just like to know.

The more guests added, the more people will come, to me thats not a gamble really but enough to make a worth while profit is for you to decide.

Quote rich5wolves:

I would book if these were announced but in all honesty this is you're business and you take the gamble so if it doesnt sell dont blame us.

Well said! :YAHOO:

Quote rich5wolves:

I think you are safe with this one but we arnt organising it and I do realise how much a guest (or his agent) asks to appear at these things. This event is not cheap and with only one guest announced of course people have been sceptical about booking. We havnt had much news for a while. People just like to know.

That's right, it does help if you know what's going on. It's been a Catch-22 situation, really - there hasn't been any news, so people don't book; people don't book, so there's not much to go on in terms of interest; no more is said, so people don't book...and so on.

The more guests added, the more people will come, to me thats not a gamble really but enough to make a worth while profit is for you to decide.

Again, I agree. :D

I have to say, that I don't really know what to say about this any more, so that's me for now - stop cheering at the back there! :blush:

I'm a bit puzzzled by the "I've already met him so wouldn't bother buying a ticket to see him again" school of thought. To me, it's a bit like saying, "No, I'm not going to see Manchester United play again: I've already been to one of their matches.":D I've heard John Noble speak four times and there are still questions that I want to ask him that I've heard no one else ask him. Yes, you might have heard many of the LotR stories but the actors and people from WETA are not one-trick ponies: they have done things before and after LotR. I am going to another show in Germany BECAUSE I've met many of the actors before and I know them to be good value.

I agree with you entirely about this Jenny; I can never understand that 'I've already met him, so I won't bother', but hey, each to their own and all that.

I could never tire of hearing Andy and there's still loads of questions both Lou and I want to ask and none of it is concerned with his work on LotR, but we are aware that there are people who haven't seen him or heard him speak and may want to ask him about LotR, so he is still great value. For us two, anyway! :YAHOO:

My main beef is the lack of information and organisation for an event of this size, that's all.

Anyway, like Lou - I've said all I'm going to say on the matter for the time being, so I'm outta here! :blush:

Rosie xx

Edited by RosiePosieDanderfluff

I know this isn't any help to anyone in *this* topic and wanting to go to another show, but I do firmly believe this has been a strong learning experience for Showmasters in relation to running a different type of event, and so with Eclipse and Lockdown they're aiming to get things right immediately. Evidently mistakes have been made with this show, so a different (and hopefully greatly improved) approach is being taken with future events.

Like I said, I know that doesn't help at all with this event :blush:

:D We still love you loads, though. :YAHOO:

I met David at Collectormania and I thought he was fairly unfriendly, certainly distant and to me didnt seem to be enjoying himself at all. I was very disappointed and have no real wish to meet him again.

JRD is always entertaining and interesting to meet, quite the opposite to David I found, hard to shut up where as David was hard to get taking to (and I'm not someone who's shy and has nothing to say to guests).

Gosh I HAVE already met David :LOL There's me saying I haven't twice!

That memorable was it? :D

Must have been :LOL

Come to think of it it wasn't very memorable, yes, he was nice but he was so busy and it was so rushed. So, that's why I thought I hadn't met him before, I totally forgot.

I met David at Collectormania and I thought he was fairly unfriendly, certainly distant and to me didnt seem to be enjoying himself at all. I was very disappointed and have no real wish to meet him again.

JRD is always entertaining and interesting to meet, quite the opposite to David I found, hard to shut up where as David was hard to get taking to (and I'm not someone who's shy and has nothing to say to guests).

huh ?

Me and my friend had the total opposite impression (at Collectormania as well). David was incredibly sweet, charming, talked and joked a lot with us.

And I saw clips from the ORC in California early this year, which he attented. His panel was hilarious, so funny. This guy has a talent not to take himself too serious!!!! I wish I would have been able to go there....but I had so many hopes for this UK event.

Edited by missdaisy

Seems almost impossible in 2 months....it's not just a collector's fair, is it? As has already been said by people who know, there's an incredible amount of organisation and hard work. Didn't AAevents start on the next TFF the very day after the first one ended? They kept people informed on the website righ from that moment too! That's the way to do it. I guess SM are concerned as TFF 3 never happened because TFF 2 did not sell enough tickets.

I go with the idea of maybe putting this back until next year so there's time to organise and, just as importantly, promote Ringconuk 2008! Contact some big name and small name guests, societies, etc. NOW and find out their provisional schedules for next year - then arrange a date. Refund the ticket holders and give them priority next time. Those who have paid hotel deposits and flight fares might not agree though!

Still, what do I know...I've never tried to do it! Just thinking common sense.....probably talking BS!

:wub:

I must have just gotten him at a bad time then :(

Seems almost impossible in 2 months....it's not just a collector's fair, is it? As has already been said by people who know, there's an incredible amount of organisation and hard work. Didn't AAevents start on the next TFF the very day after the first one ended? They kept people informed on the website righ from that moment too! That's the way to do it. I guess SM are concerned as TFF 3 never happened because TFF 2 did not sell enough tickets.

I go with the idea of maybe putting this back until next year so there's time to organise and, just as importantly, promote Ringconuk 2008! Contact some big name and small name guests, societies, etc. NOW and find out their provisional schedules for next year - then arrange a date. Refund the ticket holders and give them priority next time. Those who have paid hotel deposits and flight fares might not agree though!

Still, what do I know...I've never tried to do it! Just thinking common sense.....probably talking BS!

I think the problem is that this was postponed already once (or am I getting confused?) and it's not like they've only had 2 months to organise this, they've had the whole year pretty much, so making excuses about not enough time now isnt really cutting it with me. It seems to me they've gone about it completely the wrong way. They should have been announcing scholars etc all along, even some of the stunt guys etc, and THEN trying to get bigger guests. That way there wouldn't have been so many people annoyed by the lack of information, and even without bigger guests, they would certainly have sold more than the 70 tickets they've managed so far. Even as someone who has no interest in the scholarly side of the books, I can see that.

I didnt book a hotel, but if this event doesnt go ahead, there are going to be a lot of people out of pocket because they booked non-refundable hotels and/or flights/trains etc.

Yep....there was one postponement already. And before that I waited with baited breathe for ages for AAA to decide if TFF3 was going to happen.....seems I've been waiting a lllllllooooooooonnnnnnngggggg time!

By the way, I'm trying to post my Avatar which I've done on other boards including keeptothecode.com....but it's not working. Can anyone help? I have it in Photobucket as a jpg but the message says it's an incorrect file ext. Ta.

While I think of it...one thing that's confusing me about this whole situation, is that this was supposed to have been organised between Showmasters and the another show Germany people. Why havent the another show people been advising Showmasters about the right way to go about organising this event? Or have they and have they been ignored?

They're experienced in running a very successful convention for LOTR fans, at least as far as the fans I know who went to another show the last couple of years are concerned, so they should have had the main say in what was being done with this event.

I would say that in my opinon that since i have a silver pass i would expect there to be between 15 and 20 guests at least and five big names of which 2 would be new signers to most of us...

If you were expecting 15-20 guests from the film then you would have been disappointed. These events are only ever about 4-6 guests and of course they need not have been from the film.

I am one of the 70 who have ticket but do not expect this event to take place as the numbers are clearly too low.

Didnt say from the movie... didnt say actors... just total guestys including stuntys, artists, weta, tolkien society etc....

For me to pay for a silver pass or whateer i would expect a good selection of people..

DavidB i'm sorry i'm not going to respond to you... my own reaasons and i9 dont want a showdown...sorry!

Veasse x

Incidentally, when I met David at Collectormania at the end of September, he didn't know there was to be a another show in the UK, and at that point it was still going to be in Spring this year. When I told him about it, he said he might see me there.

I'd be quite interested to know when SM did contact his agent. :wub:

• Moderators

DavidB i'm sorry i'm not going to respond to you... my own reaasons and i9 dont want a showdown...sorry!

Veasse x

Well I was just curious. I thought it was a reasonable question, and I'm not quite sure why it'd cause a 'showdown' but ok if you say so! Shrug.gif

It's just interesting to read about different perspectives on the event from people - there's evidently a lot of expectations, but not all the same.

Edited by DavidB

Veasse x

Well I was just curious. I thought it was a reasonable question, and I'm not quite sure why it'd cause a 'showdown' but ok if you say so! Shrug.gif

It's just interesting to read about different perspectives on the event from people - there's evidently a lot of expectations, but not all the same.

Sorry David, Its just we've had words before and i didnt want to go there again! I have apid a lot of money and other LOTR cons have at least 30... i've been to a few... not all actors but you know a lot of tolkien stuff and weta etc.

To SM,

If this is going to be postponed again i want my money back.

I feel like someone else said you have had long enough, and are supposed to be doing this with another show germany.... they have an amazing show which is why i bought a ticket immediately as i thought that the amazing con they have would be the same in London. Seems that i have very high expectations.

I really think you should get back to us all quickly about what is happening...

Either decide you can get a great number of guests from all different areas or cancel. cause right now i dont like this feeling of hanging!

Sorry...

I hope you understand now how upset and angry i am about this and why i didnt want a conflab with you DB cause i might offend!

Cheers

V x

• Moderators

Sorry David, Its just we've had words before and i didnt want to go there again! I have apid a lot of money and other LOTR cons have at least 30... i've been to a few... not all actors but you know a lot of tolkien stuff and weta etc.

... I hope you understand now how upset and angry i am about this and why i didnt want a conflab with you DB cause i might offend!

Cheers

V x

Thank you for the reply.

I hope you can see that I've been perfectly reasonable with everyone else in this topic (and others in this section) in regards to their opinions on this event - I'm not totally evil, even if that may be your opinion of me :wub:

I just checked your previous posts just to see if I'd done anything to annoy you at some point, and I can only find something from like 2005 so if that's the problem here I'd suggest that it shouldn't be anymore!

Anyway obviously I don't want to get off-topic majorly, but I don't want anyone having a problem with me - I'm fully capable of discussing stuff, even if I don't agree sometimes. So maybe things can be ok now? You don't need to worry about offending or anything .. unless I'm the one that needs to worry? That's certainly not my aim.

Edited by DavidB

Hi everyone!

Firstly, apologies for the lack of information on another show recently. We have had several other events over the past few weeks that have taken a lot of our time, but we have still been pushing hard to move things along with another show. This has proved very hard though, as the main stars of the trilogy are extremely busy these days, limiting when they are available, and along with all sorts of other factors, this has really curtailed our ability to come back to you with any concrete information. This problem isn't limited to us: another show in Germany has suffered from the same problem, and has changed to a multi-media con due to lack of guest availability!

We know that the long wait for news has been frustrating and we really do appreciate how patient you have been. We now have some solid information that we can give you so that we can move forward, and have decided that the best thing to do is to ask you all what you think, as ultimately our decisions affect you and we want to do what will work best for those of you who have always supported us.

SO,

We have the option of securing David Wenham and John Rhys Davies for another show UK. We feel that both are great guests and would be fantastic in a convention setting. However, we need to know that they are the type of guests that not only you want to see, but that would encourage those of you who have not already done so to book for the event!

Currently we only have about 70 tickets sold. We are well aware that may just simply be because of the lack of announcements. However, if we are to proceed with booking more high calibre guests then we need to know that there are people out there who still want to book, and that the people we are looking at will help make them do that. Would the addition of David and John encourage enough of you who haven't already booked to do so? To make this a decent event for the fans, we need at least 300 attendees; is there enough fan support still out there for that?

Obviously David and John are not the only guests we are working on, but they are the two major names who we confidantly feel we can swiftly confirm at this point, and with the show two months away, we need to make a decision now as to whether this event is viable for you and for us.

Clearly if we do not go ahead with another show then everyone who has paid will get a full refund. However, we much prefer to run the event and hope that the comments in this thread will show that that is what you all want too! :wub:

Thanks for sticking with us on this, and we hope that we will be able to push the event forward with the new guests we have mentioned, and others, very soon!

The Showmasters Team

IN SUMMARY: What we need to know - if we add David Wenham and John Rhys Davies, then will those of you out there who haven't yet booked do so?

In other words - I take it its not financially worth booking the guests if no more than 70 people are going to come, thats what you are really saying.

I would book if these were announced but in all honesty this is you're business and you take the gamble so if it doesnt sell dont blame us. I think you are safe with this one but we arnt organising it and I do realise how much a guest (or his agent) asks to appear at these things.

This event is not cheap and with only one guest announced of course people have been sceptical about booking. We havnt had much news for a while. People just like to know.

Rich5wolves- could not agree more with all of this! Just had to say that!

SM - 120 replies and 1723 views in 28 hours i think shows the level of passion in this event!

IMO another big guest will not neccesarily make or break the event, these three guests plus all the content e.g tolkien society, WETA, stuntmen, talks, panels, costumes etc etc(i'm actually getting excited thinking about it!!) will make the event great and generate enough interest to be viable. Getting that one more guest and none of the above, I don't think will!

Edited by frankslittlemachine

SM - 120 replies and 1723 views in 28 hours i think shows the level of passion in this event!

Couldn't agree more. It may not seem like a lot to some, but just look at how many pages we're up to already - and with it being the weekend there are so many other claims on people's time. :chair:

IMO another big guest will not neccesarily make or break the event, these three guests plus all the content e.g tolkien society, WETA, stuntmen, talks, panels, costumes etc etc(i'm actually getting excited thinking about it!!) will make the event great and generate enough interest to be viable. Getting that one more guest and none of the above, I don't think will!

See, originally I wasn't too fussed about the content/costumes/panels, etc, but now I am - I blame you and the cosplayers here, personally... :chair: Yes, like you I'm getting excited thinking about the guests and all the other things that will be on offer because this could be such a lot of fun and I'd hate to think it wasn't going to happen.

Edited by yeltz-lass

• Showmasters Admin

Ok, instead of helping us try to save the event it seems that a small group of you just want to blame us for trying to run a another show in the UK in the first place.

And if you think that we are starting to give up, well after reading some of the posts on here then yes I do feel like that. Instead of all the fans grouping together to help make it happen we get a small number of people trying to lay blame.

Now you can attack us and say that this or that is our fault, but I think it's unfair to blame us for trying and it's certainly not productive. We put a lot of time and effort into our work and don't organise these events then cancel them just for the fun of it! So attack us if you want, but it will not save the event which was the only reasion I decided to put this thread up here in the first place.

I know it's your right to say what you think, but it does nothing to help us save the event. So let me answer some of your jabs at us:

1. We have been working on this event for months and right from the start laid out activities and fun things to do over the weekend, which we then added to later on. But these rely on people actually attending the event; A) to have enough people involved to make some of the activities work and :chair: to bring in enough revenue to pay for the guests, hotel rooms, etc.

Rich5wolfs: Do not give me this "it's your business" crap. Yes it is, and you should know that Showmasters is not run purely for profit. Why? Because I love running events and DO NOT do it simply to make money. However I do not intend to run an event which needs around 400 to 500 people to make it work if only 70 people want to actually come. Sorry mate, but it's about putting on a good show and it now looks like this event is not popular enough to make it work.

I think that we should take a good look at the problems with this event which may be stopping people booking tickets:

A lot of you have already met most of the guests from the film, so it's hard for us to get you a headliner who you haven't met yet. Of course it would be wonderful to bring you Orlando, Viggo, etc, but this really isn't viable.

If we could get Viggo then all the world's LOTR fans would be booking up and we would sell out the convention and have the income to do all the things we want to, but unfortunately he is not doing events. Orlando's management want a large fee, more than all the guests we have had in the past, making him completely unfeasible to get as a convention guest.

And so it goes on and on. There's no-one new that hasn't been to an event before which we can get, which it seems is what we need to bring you to make the convention work.

We have been able to bring you many stars from LOTR, and have brought you more guests than any other event in the world over the past 4 years. In comparison, in Germany they have had less opportunities to meet all the stars elsewhere so go to another show.

Now some of you talk about artists and background guests. That's fine and we would consider adding them to a more complete guest line-up, but they will only please the die hard fans and wouldn't encourage more attendees to sign up, and that's what we need at the moment. These sort of guests make a convention more interesting but don't help build up the numbers of fans attending.

Next, I know that some of you went to the another show, and many of you had a good time there. But that convention didn't work either. It went bust and lots of the guests and New Line itself never got paid, so not only did the event not work but lots of people were ripped off. So it may have been good for some of you but it was far from perfect, and it's certainly not how we want to run a convention. Maybe some the problems we are encountering now are the same problems the FF suffered from, not enough fans wanting to pay for tickets to see these guests in a convention setting rather than at a big event such as Collectormania.

We ARE still trying to make this convention happen and I still have several guests I am waiting to hear back from. There is not a huge chance that they will be available, but we will wait and see. If one of them is, then the convention will probably go ahead as they are good guests and should satisfy those fans still waiting to book their tickets. If not, then I think we will have to call it a day and cancel the convention. Sorry, but that's the way it looks at the moment.

For those of you who have already bought tickets and have tried to help, I thank you for trying with us.

And for those of you that want to take a chunk out of us for failing, then go for it if it makes you feel better.

Jason

Ok, instead of helping us try to save the event it seems that a small group of you just want to blame us for trying to run a another show in the UK in the first place.

And if you think that we are starting to give up, well after reading some of the posts on here then yes I do feel like that. Instead of all the fans grouping together to help make it happen we get a small number of people trying to lay blame.

Now you can attack us and say that this or that is our fault, but I think it's unfair to blame us for trying and it's certainly not productive. We put a lot of time and effort into our work and don't organise these events then cancel them just for the fun of it! So attack us if you want, but it will not save the event which was the only reasion I decided to put this thread up here in the first place.

I know it's your right to say what you think, but it does nothing to help us save the event. So let me answer some of your jabs at us:

1. We have been working on this event for months and right from the start laid out activities and fun things to do over the weekend, which we then added to later on. But these rely on people actually attending the event; A) to have enough people involved to make some of the activities work and :chair: to bring in enough revenue to pay for the guests, hotel rooms, etc.

Rich5wolfs: Do not give me this "it's your business" crap. Yes it is, and you should know that Showmasters is not run purely for profit. Why? Because I love running events and DO NOT do it simply to make money. However I do not intend to run an event which needs around 400 to 500 people to make it work if only 70 people want to actually come. Sorry mate, but it's about putting on a good show and it now looks like this event is not popular enough to make it work.

I think that we should take a good look at the problems with this event which may be stopping people booking tickets:

A lot of you have already met most of the guests from the film, so it's hard for us to get you a headliner who you haven't met yet. Of course it would be wonderful to bring you Orlando, Viggo, etc, but this really isn't viable.

If we could get Viggo then all the world's LOTR fans would be booking up and we would sell out the convention and have the income to do all the things we want to, but unfortunately he is not doing events. Orlando's management want a large fee, more than all the guests we have had in the past, making him completely unfeasible to get as a convention guest.

And so it goes on and on. There's no-one new that hasn't been to an event before which we can get, which it seems is what we need to bring you to make the convention work.

We have been able to bring you many stars from LOTR, and have brought you more guests than any other event in the world over the past 4 years. In comparison, in Germany they have had less opportunities to meet all the stars elsewhere so go to another show.

Now some of you talk about artists and background guests. That's fine and we would consider adding them to a more complete guest line-up, but they will only please the die hard fans and wouldn't encourage more attendees to sign up, and that's what we need at the moment. These sort of guests make a convention more interesting but don't help build up the numbers of fans attending.

Next, I know that some of you went to the another show, and many of you had a good time there. But that convention didn't work either. It went bust and lots of the guests and New Line itself never got paid, so not only did the event not work but lots of people were ripped off. So it may have been good for some of you but it was far from perfect, and it's certainly not how we want to run a convention. Maybe some the problems we are encountering now are the same problems the FF suffered from, not enough fans wanting to pay for tickets to see these guests in a convention setting rather than at a big event such as Collectormania.

We ARE still trying to make this convention happen and I still have several guests I am waiting to hear back from. There is not a huge chance that they will be available, but we will wait and see. If one of them is, then the convention will probably go ahead as they are good guests and should satisfy those fans still waiting to book their tickets. If not, then I think we will have to call it a day and cancel the convention. Sorry, but that's the way it looks at the moment.

For those of you who have already bought tickets and have tried to help, I thank you for trying with us.

And for those of you that want to take a chunk out of us for failing, then go for it if it makes you feel better.

Jason

Hi jason,

Thank you for responding. Not to sound like a suck up but you have my full support in your efforts to make this con work...as you always have! PS i bought gold back in march!

Edited by frankslittlemachine

Lets get this show on the road, i'm now booking after this thread.

Mr Serkis, Wenham and Rhys Davies is a great start and Jason is right we HAVE TO SUPPORT HIM, hell, the guests we have had in the past have been unbelievable and I don't want him to forget us ringers for future SM events ie, this leaves a bad taste.