Future of RingCon

showmasters

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it was closed for a good reason, I was just wanting to point out that we've already been told that Showmasters staff have got experience in running conventions, not just signing events. I'm wondering though, Stuart was the one involved in that 'discussion' but he's not been posting recently. Is he still involved in this event?

Hey, maybe he's the one doing all the donkey work and so doesn't have time to post! ;)

Try not to let yourself get too stressed about this, though - there are several of us who know what it's like for you at the mo'. :unsure:

I agree, it was closed for a good reason, I was just wanting to point out that we've already been told that Showmasters staff have got experience in running conventions, not just signing events. I'm wondering though, Stuart was the one involved in that 'discussion' but he's not been posting recently. Is he still involved in this event?

Hey, maybe he's the one doing all the donkey work and so doesn't have time to post! :D

Try not to let yourself get too stressed about this, though - there are several of us who know what it's like for you at the mo'. :D

good point, I'd not thought of that ;)

I think I'm going to relax with a stiff drink tonight, try to calm my nerves. My daughter's off to her dad's for the weekend so I can hopefully just chill. Maybe I need to stop coming on here every 5 minutes to check for news :unsure: that probably doesnt help lol.

Hey, maybe he's the one doing all the donkey work and so doesn't have time to post! :D

Try not to let yourself get too stressed about this, though - there are several of us who know what it's like for you at the mo'. ;)

Yeah I like that although stress will always be part of being a LOTR fan i've found!

GG - Totally agree, and anyway every point said in that thread has be repeated in this thread in, ahem, much more appropriate ways.

Stobbs - thanks for that :unsure:

I don't really think the point of this topic was to have people 'choose sides' etc - and I'm quite disappointed that it has gone that way.

Obviously not everyone is doing it, but it's not going to help anything.

I have continued to read this string from the start and find it a tad judgemental of some people to blame one side or the other. Dirk has said one thing, and Jason the other. Only they know the 100% truth and should now concentrate on their own business and we should support who we wish to.

However, I am disappointed that some posters who have taken issue with people supporting Jason and Showmasters have then turned around and done exactly what they were taking issue with.

Can't we all just accept what has happened, go to the events we choose, and enjoy them. Too much aggrevation could scupper future events and partnerships.

Please remember that guests do pop onto event forums for feedback. It could scare off potential guests.

Peace.

AJ

Edited by AJ Jones

Hello,

yes it is true, i posted some in the past, and it gets deleted - don´t know why.

Thanks for that Dirk. This makes me so angry <_< We kept being told that another show was being worked on. A friend of mine was banned from here for voicing her opinion about the con and that nothing had been done about it, and was told that it WAS being worked on and details were imminent, and this was months ago. Clearly that was a lie, and nothing of the sort was happening.

Purely in the interests of truth and objectivity (because I don't think anybody is wholly in the right here)

* a number of threads and their posts were lost in a server crash a couple of months ago; this could be the source of the "deleted post" situation

* I can also see a couple of posts from Dirk citing communication problems, which I would think reinforces the "accidental deletion" theory; if somebody was trying to re-write history one would think that they would have deleted those posts as well

* the banning incident was towards the end of the first half of the year, IIRC; there were a number of program announcements subsequently made, at the start of August, so to say that nothing at all was happening is seemingly untrue. One may not be happy with what was announced, but to say that nothing at all has happened since May and allege that somebody was lying in that regard is incorrect, as well as inflammatory.

I'm all for reasoned debate, and can understand people being passionate, but think that it would be better if people were a little more objective and a little less speculative.

On a separate note, one presumes this is also puts the final kibosh on another show UK...?

Hello,

yes it is true, i posted some in the past, and it gets deleted - don´t know why.

Thanks for that Dirk. This makes me so angry <_< We kept being told that another show was being worked on. A friend of mine was banned from here for voicing her opinion about the con and that nothing had been done about it, and was told that it WAS being worked on and details were imminent, and this was months ago. Clearly that was a lie, and nothing of the sort was happening.

Purely in the interests of truth and objectivity (because I don't think anybody is wholly in the right here)

* a number of threads and their posts were lost in a server crash a couple of months ago; this could be the source of the "deleted post" situation

* I can also see a couple of posts from Dirk citing communication problems, which I would think reinforces the "accidental deletion" theory; if somebody was trying to re-write history one would think that they would have deleted those posts as well

* the banning incident was towards the end of the first half of the year, IIRC; there were a number of program announcements subsequently made, at the start of August, so to say that nothing at all was happening is seemingly untrue. One may not be happy with what was announced, but to say that nothing at all has happened since May and allege that somebody was lying in that regard is incorrect, as well as inflammatory.

I'm all for reasoned debate, and can understand people being passionate, but think that it would be better if people were a little more objective and a little less speculative.

On a separate note, one presumes this is also puts the final kibosh on another show UK...?

Yes you're right, I apologise, there were programming announcements, although to be honest, its fairly easy to post threads with announcements of programming that doesn't require any guests (apart from Andy). The only one I can see that required anyone from outside (ie. not attendees) was the make-up demonstration. It's all a great idea, but personally, I didn't pay in order to provide the entertainment or content of the event myself.

What's another show UK?

Just re-read this...I apologise to everyone, I'm even starting to p**s myself off now. I'm tired and grouchy and just want a definitive answer to what's going on.

Edited by jael001

• Showmasters Admin

For those of you who have booked hotels, I've just spoken to Endsleigh (insurance company) and your hotel is covered if the event is cancelled apparently! it was £12 for me and my partner.

I know it sounds grim and negative but its good to have all angles covered

:poki::whistling:

Well, I have not read every single post but will do soon - it will take some time but I do want to say something, as we keep being accused of not letting people say what they want to on here.

Well, what is this thread about then ?

Freedom of speech seems to be here but what good it is doing I do not know as all it is doing is damaging any possibility of running this event.

As to Dirk’s post I do think he is a friend but is desperate to distance himself from this event because of fear of damaging his new events. If so, that is up to him.

As to working together, we both had jobs to do to make another show work.

For various reasons, it started to go bad. If he was so concerned about the event months ago why leave it to 3 days ago to pull out? He kept in because he thought it would work if we got a big guest, but as it started to look bad and it was getting hard to get guests for the show he pulled out before the event was dead to save his reputation

Sorry Dirk, I cannot see it any way other than this mate.

And as soon as you did that Marc Lee put up on his site about how bad we are at running events to put the knife in the wound. Marc Lee was unhappy that we were working together as I think he felt threatened by my involvement with Dirk.

Well this freedom of speech has not helped the event nor us or the fans but it is here like it or not.

Now down to the event.

We have had an answer from the agents and it is a NO so we have not had any luck with getting a big guest for this show.

And as it is now looking like people are trying to save their skin I think it is time to give in to the fact that it is not going to happen.

RING CON has been cancelled.

I managed to talk to the hotel today and there is no problem with anyone that has booked into the hotel cancelling their rooms. They will not be charged – the hotel has said that includes those who booked discounted, non-refundable rooms.

Next tickets will be refunded to all of you who did book.

We are sorry for trying to bring you all an amazing event that was just not meant to be.

I hope you can understand what we were trying to do and know we only tried for the right reasons, and as we are the only left out of the original partnership it is up to us to say sorry, and that we did really try to pull this off. You only have our word on this but think about it: we wanted to run this event as much as you wanted it to happen.

We hope that some day there will be a LOTR convention again in the country. It will not be us as we have tried at great lengths to make this happen and I do not want to go through all this again. It has aged me.

We are the organisers of the event and we failed to bring it to you. There are many reasons for it but I do think that no one person or action was to blame, it was just circumstances

I do not want there to be any animosity towards anyone for the failure of this event. It’s not another show Germany’s fault, nor the fans as they have really tried to save this event, especially in the last few days.

One last thing, just to try to stop people taking sides. You do not have to. Things sometimes do not work but I must say below is the original plan for another show written up by Dirk back in April. We were partners on this and now you can see what parts we were supposed to play

Business Meeting another show / Showmasters

another show UK, April 13-15, 2007

Responsibilities:

Jason / Showmasters

Bank Account

Registration

Security

Dealers

Volunteers

Guests

Dirk / another show GmbH

Dealers

Main Staff

Entertainment

Merchandise

Decoration

Guests

Webpage

I will order the tickets to be refunded on Monday. Give a couple of days, and if you have any probloms with anything do contact us on the email address info@showmastersonline.com

One last thing

We hope that one day LOTRs fandom manages to run an event in the UK and we wish them all the luck helping keep LOTRs alive for years to come.

We will now turn our attentions to getting LOTR guests for our other events in the future and hope to talk some of the elusive a list guests into attending an event where the fans can meet them

Thank you for reading this

Yours very sincerely

Jason

Thanks for letting us know Jason, I'm relieved to have a definitive answer on this, even if it's not a positive one. I can feel what a heavy heart you have making this announcement, I can almost picture your shoulders all hunched over :chair: *pets*

I look forward to meeting some more LOTR guests at your other events (Karl Urban? please?). I think the chances of getting them at more general events is high because they can promote their current or recent projects, not only LOTR (like Dom did at LFCC), I know some of the guests are more interested in moving on from LOTR, even if we're not so keen for them to do it.

I will be spending my refund on a gold pass for Lockdown so you will still have my money :YAHOO:

Edited by jael001

I don't know what to say, never mind type, gutted.....

Thanks for the statement Jason...

Lets not forget, us ringers ALWAYS want LOTR guests at all SM events including the repeat ones, never forget that. Its not ALL about the a listers, although obviously they help.

People like John Noble, Bruce Hopkins, Brad Douif, all portrayed great characters and hav'nt done a SM event for years, these would be great.

LOTR guests still get staggeringly great queues, (and always will) and I hope you will give us great memories for the future. I know we have enjoyed too many too mention in the past.

Right, I'm off to drown my sorrows.....and look on the sunny side.

I hope GMEX will be kind!!

Aww..that just plain sucks..if ever I needed an excuse to drink more..this was it :P

I don't know what to do now..although the hotel will be refunded, unfortunately the cost of my flight, x 2), won't be...do I bite the bullet and make a weekend of it anyway..and book a hotel nearer the city..or cut my losses...I need another drink.

Thanks for the info Jason..at least we know..not what we wanted to hear, but a conclusion nonetheless.

damn

Oh well. At least now we know.

I do hope we get lots of LOTR guests at future events.

Thank you everyone for the fascinating thread this past few days! It was like X Factor meets Shameless at times, but never less than interesting :)

Jason, I'm so sorry about all of this. Thank you for trying, and I hope that things will look up for you soon. It's sad that another show UK won't happen this year, but maybe there will be something like it in the future. If there is, I hope that you have the chance to be involved in a way that works for you and causes you less stress.

Cheers,

Catherine

:crying:

I too will miss all you guys.

May be one day there will be a LOTR con for us. I think we LOTR fans have had it a bit hard. Sob.

To say I am sad would be an understatement. Astonished maybe. sob.

Would any one be interested in a LOTR themed party? Just something small so we can all get together and talk LOTR and stuff and have a good time? It would be a shame to loose touch with you all. If we can keep this going it may increase the chances of something good coming out of this.

Please!

Love Jo