Future of RingCon

showmasters

firstly let me say that it is very sad to hear that this event has been cancelled, for whatever the reason, i know the ppl behind these events work extremely hard and things must have been very dire to go ahead and cancel, obviously it is sad for us 'fans' but it must also be a blow to the organisers and so i would like to just say that although this hasnt worked out as you would have wanted, showmasters are still very good at what they do and i know it wasnt their intention to upset or let anyone down, its just one of those things!!

secondly the only other thing i would say is that even if things were not going to plan, it would have been nice to be informed, i think most ppl probably knew from lack of guests announced that all was not well but a simple post here and there just to let us know that would have been nice and not kept us all totally in the dark as i feel that is what most ppl were upset and annoyed about

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the only other thing i would say is that even if things were not going to plan, it would have been nice to be informed, i think most ppl probably knew from lack of guests announced that all was not well but a simple post here and there just to let us know that would have been nice and not kept us all totally in the dark as i feel that is what most ppl were upset and annoyed about

It's certainly what got to me the most, Narago. :crying:

Even though I was pretty much expecting this, I'm absolutely gutted this morning. :crying:

I am so upset Showmasters and its down to all the people on here who were so negative that if David Wenham happened to be reading this forum no WONDER he didn't want to come. I've never met Andy Serkis and would have gone just to see him cos its not fair of people to say he's been to loads of events anyway cos not everyone can get to all the events. I was really really hoping this would work out cos I was gonna meet some friends there too and it was gonna be an amazing thing to look forward to in November and I am so sad right now... :crying: BUT PLEASE SHOWMASTERS please do a another show in the future cos the events I've been to have been AMAZING and I've met people I never thought I ever would and had so much fun going to the events too and as a LOTR fan this meant such a lot and I cannot describe my disappointment.

To be honest the only reason myself and Yeltzy were going was to see Andy (we're fans of his first and foremost, and meeting other people involved/connected with LOTR would have been a bonus) again; to say we're gutted is an understatement. The result was expected, but there was some glimmer of hope that it might - just might - have been a go-er.

Rosie

:pyth:

I would like to thank Jason and the rest of the crew who have worked so hard to try and give us a LOTR convention. Whilst I am disappointed that it won't be going ahead I understand the reasons and it makes business sense to pull the plug now than on the eve of the convention. From a personal perspective it allows me to spend my money attending the GMEX show which is shaping up to be a corker!

Having over 15 years of adminstration experience myself I know how hard an event like this is to orgainise. There are so many factors that can go wrong thereby disappointing the attendees. To the attendees I would ask that you remember this when you next feel the need to lay into Showmasters on this forum. The majority of these problems are beyond their control. Most problems involve third parties who have minds (and wallets) of their own and will therefore act on what is best for them not us or Showmasters!

In my opinion I think that Showmasters should concentrate on making their LFCC and Collectormania shows a premier worldwide event. The shows already pull in fans from around the globe already. By sticking to perfecting their core shows I am sure that this will have influence on the 'A' listers we wish to meet.

Despite having attended every Collectormania show and LFCC, I bought my first gold pass for the recent LFCC show. Whilst there were a few problems (lighting, goody bags, door chaos), I really enjoyed the event especially as I got to meet one of my all time favourite actors Patrick Stewart.

If I was to ask Showmasters to look at some of the problems they would be these.

1) If Earl's Court continues to screw you over ... move! Remember your the customer and you have a reputation to protect.

2) Take care of your gold pass VIP's and early bird ticket buyers. Remember they should have priority. They have paid a premium and therefore should be treated as a priority. They are usually repeat attendees and if they don't come back the events will die.

3) Give your dealer's a break also. And I don't just mean the sponsor's. As a regular attendee I don't just attend these events for autographs. I also go to these events to shop. All my favourite shops under one roof! Needless to say I look forward to these events for more than just autographs I have noticed lately that the number of dealers is dropping. If the dealer's go chances are so will I.

4) There were too many people signing at the last event. Concentrate on quality not quanitity.

Right that's the bitching over with. Don't get me wrong I appreciate all your hard work in making these events happen. Please keep up the good work.

P.S. Any chance of getting Christopher Lee. You teased us last year. How about trying again. Or even better getting both Christopher Lee and Sir Ian McKellen at the same event. The lines would be around the block .... think about it!

I really feel for everyone that REALLY wanted this to happen........i did at the beginning when i first got my ticket.......

With any luck SM will have learnt some very valueble lessons in this affair, thus giving everyone high hopes for Lockdown and Eclipse.

The biggest lesson learnt i hope is....KEEP PEOPLE INFORMED !!!!

I am so upset Showmasters and its down to all the people on here who were so negative that if David Wenham happened to be reading this forum no WONDER he didn't want to come.

I think you've got your wires crossed here. David and John agreed to come, it was someone else that Jason was trying to get that wouldn't agree to do it, and Jason did say before that it was unlikely he'd get this person but he was going to try.

It's NOT because of the people here that this event isn't going ahead. That's unfair and not true!

I met David at Collectormania and I thought he was fairly unfriendly, certainly distant and to me didnt seem to be enjoying himself at all. I was very disappointed and have no real wish to meet him again.

JRD is always entertaining and interesting to meet, quite the opposite to David I found, hard to shut up where as David was hard to get taking to (and I'm not someone who's shy and has nothing to say to guests).

I have to agree with your David quote. I also thought he was unfriendly. In David's defence he didnt feel like he wanted to be there with his agent watching every move he made he probably felt uncomfortable, so i have say i felt sorry for him, but i dont think id meet him again.

I met JRD in Collectormania to i thought he was great, because im Welsh we had a great conversation about where he lived and my hubby talked about Indian Jones, i would probably meet him again.

:thumbup::smile:

If SM did do day tickets, or even tickets like at Collectomania. I would defintely come and possibly spend a bit of money getting Autos of LOTR stars that i dont have.

Like Orlando, Viggo, Ian, Christopher and many more I DONT REALLY MIND THEN WHO YOU GET.

I can then finish of my LOTR auto collection.

Please try and consider this for us LOTR fans i think this would be a popular choice with people who cannot afford or attend all weekend. ( like me with children and work committments).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SM

Lets not forget, us ringers ALWAYS want LOTR guests at all SM events including the repeat ones, never forget that. Its not ALL about the a listers, although obviously they help.

People like John Noble, Bruce Hopkins, Brad Douif, all portrayed great characters and hav'nt done a SM event for years, these would be great.

LOTR guests still get staggeringly great queues, (and always will) and I hope you will give us great memories for the future. I know we have enjoyed too many too mention in the past.

I would just like to say that's exactly how I feel about the whole thing.

Although I'm really sad another show UK is not going to happen, I trust in Showmasters to get really cool LotR actors for us to other events. I really loved meeting Dom at the London Film & Comic Con for example.

I'd buy a ticket to see Bruce Hopkins, Brad Douif, Karl Urban and all those other guys any time... as for the A-listers, I'd be there in a heart-beat.

Jo, and everyone else: There IS a LOTR party going on all the time. It's in the various Tolkien Societys of the world. TS's are not a bunch of dusty academics sitting around discussing whether balrogs had wings or not, refusing to see beyond the books. B)

They've seen the films, they attend cons, they know how to party like you wouldn't belive it. :D And the thread holding it all together is the professor's wonderful work. :wub:

And it's open for everyone to join. There's a TS in nearly every country, and in some countries in every major town. They visit each other for huge banquets/themed parties in which the costumes made during the year is proudly displayed, and "new" medieval recepies tried out on questing palates. In other words: Parties! :lol::P

We're going to "Mithlond" next weekend (that's a TS in Sweden) with this years themed party: "Mirkwood fall party - only the trees can hear you sing!". Yup, it's a three-day long musical! :( Cant' wait to see Thranduil's hills come alive. :DB)

Hey Jo,

Although I was really excited about another show, I can't say I was totally gutted about the cancellation because last weekend I attended my first "Oxonmoot" (the annual knees-up of the Tolkien Society) and I had the BEST time :YAHOO: . I was able to wear one of my costumes and everyone was so lovely and friendly.

So my advice is to join up and you're guaranteed a LOTR event at least once a year.

You might also be interesteed in the upcoming "Tolkien's Birmingham" residential weekend:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateConte...0&MENU_ID=0

Heather

Heather,

Well, that is what I have done. I have joined TS.

I have also given their website a good going over and the Ox Moot looks like fun. There does also appear to be a group based down here in the SouthFarthing.

I am a little daunted as I am not an intellectual please reassure me.

It would be great to meet up with you again.

I have plenty of costumes to wear!

Love

Jo

No need to worry at all. Most people seemed to be there to eat, drink and be merry. There were lectures going on (I only made it to one) but I don't think that Merry & Pippin's dance class could be considered intellectual :YAHOO:.

Heather

No need to worry at all. Most people seemed to be there to eat, drink and be merry. There were lectures going on (I only made it to one) but I don't think that Merry & Pippin's dance class could be considered intellectual :YAHOO:.

Heather

I have taken the plunge and joined today. (As an ex-librarian I feel slightly ashamed that I never joined before!)

:dance: Wonder where my nearest Smial will be?

Verity

:dance:

Sounds like a crack to me!!

I am going to join as soon as possible.

Thanks sooo much Kumo. You have restored some of my insanity!

Are you a member?

Love Jo

;)

Good on you. :D

You'll have a lot of fun, and restored insanity is indeed welcome.

I'm a member of Bree, the Copenhagen TS, and my wife is member in both that and a Swedish TS. As long as you're a member of one you're welcome to parties in them all.

And I'm not an intellectual either - I just love the stories, the films, the parties, the songs (oh man, the songs are a hoot: just wait till your first go at "High flies the Nazgul, O'").

You're welcome to write us at ethuil @ bree.dk if you want to know more about what goes on in our neck of middle-earth. Welcome to a guaranteed good time with likeminded Tolkien fans. :dance:

That goes for you too, Voronwe. :blush:

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself at Oxonmoot Lasergirl, and welcome along Voronwe and Elwyn! If people want a write up (from a biased source admittedly) there's one over at the HarperCollins forums. It's not all academics but a broad mix of people: and even some of the academics are into costume-making.

Double to the left ...

I've always thought Birmingham would be the best place for a RCUK type event, personally - relatively central, perhaps not as pricey as London, and there are loads of Tolkien sites to consider - the Edgabaston water tower, Perrott's Folly, Moseley Bog, Sarehole Mill, the Oratory on the Hagley Road, the Ivy Bush pub (which he based one of the LOTR pubs on), Sam Gamgee House, and so on. :D

Though I'm sad that the event has been cancelled, I do think that now is not the ideal time for a LOTR-themed event. It's several years since the films came out and people are into new things. I think when The Hobbit comes out (2009 if IMDB is to be believed) people will get back into the films and will want to go to an actual convention. Having said that, I would like to meet people from the films so I look forward to them attending future SM events.