Future of RingCon

showmasters

I would love for this event to happen because my friends had planned on going since we have never seen Andy Serkis and Germanwings has a great deal going on with flights.

I think we need to rethink a few things now. We'll see.

@yeltz-lass: Mine too. LOL. We have not so good medicine here but the UK should have good stuff.

Edited by Schullehrer

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Swan: You are not impressed by what? That a group with a reputation to uphold and many fans in Germany who love them decided not to supporter an organiser who decides 2 months before an event to get in touch with its patrons?

I have also attended Ring Con Germany which was fantastic, and it was because they were going to be participating in bringing Ring Con to the UK, that I booked my ticket.

So yeah, I'm not impressed.

well we were joint partners on running this event up till 2 days ago when thay pulled out of any responsabilaty for the event so thay will not be helping run it nore be responsable for any losses

so that did not help much :unsure:

So could questions about it in this forum be removed then, please? It just strikes me as a tad insensitive. :blush:

I have also attended Ring Con Germany which was fantastic, and it was because they were going to be participating in bringing Ring Con to the UK, that I booked my ticket.

Ditto, having heard very good things about RC Germany.

I would love for this event to happen because my friends had planned on going since we have never seen

Andy Serkis and Germanwings has a great deal going on with flights. I think we need to rethink a few things now. We'll see.

Andy's a brilliant guest - sure, I'm biased, :blush: but he's definitely worth meeting. :thumbup:

@yeltz-lass: Mine too. LOL. We have not so good medicine here but the UK should have good stuff.

What - with our poor beleaguered NHS?! :poki: I wish... :thumbup:

So yeah, I'm not impressed.

Yeah I have to agree with that. There was me thinking that a combined efford of SM and another show Germany couldn't really go wrong. :thumbup:

So I've been reading all the posts but haven't actually said anything, as I had booked my ticket several months ago and so I couldn't really help with the matter of ticket sales.

I can only repeat what some others have already mentioned. A lot more tickets would have been sold if the website had been updated on a regular basis. Even the smallest anouncement of people from the Tolkien Society coming in or whatever would a made a huge difference. I know that some of my friends didn't book because they were waiting for ANYTHING to happen on the website.

You can't expect people to read through all the stuff on the board here... a lot of people don't even know about it.

Well still hoping that the event will go ahead...

@Psychosis

I agree with you in your opinion, BUT Dirk couldn`t get in contact with Jason for weeks, and he wrote that a few months ago somewhere her ein this forum. His post concerning that had been deleted sometime later, by whom , and honestly I don`t care.

All I see is that my inbox is still waiting for a response from Showmasters, concerning my mail from January where I asked them if our help is wanted.

Since then.... nothing at all, not even an automatic reply.

I`m doing cons now for 12 years, and have beem involved in RC Germany from the beginning, and if there is one thing I know then it is that you can`t get such an event running in only 2 months.

It pains me to say that, because I WANTED RC-UK to be like RC Germany, I fear that it will be nothing like that.

I hope I`m wrong and RC UK will take place and hopefully will be a blast. :)

You can't expect people to read through all the stuff on the board here... a lot of people don't even know about it.

*nods*

Especially if there's nothing more going on than people attacking each over.....

@Psychosis

I agree with you in your opinion, BUT Dirk couldn`t get in contact with Jason for weeks, and he wrote that a few months ago somewhere her ein this forum. His post concerning that had been deleted sometime later, by whom , and honestly I don`t care.

:thumbup: Deleted? I thought he was a partner? Why would you delete posts from a partner. Maybe Dirk asked for it to be deleted? Sorry to hear all of this is going on. I so wanted to see England again and my husband gave me a huge thumbs up when I had heard that the German group was going to be a part of RCUK.

This doesn't sound right. :thumbup:

Hello,

yes it is true, i posted some in the past, and it gets deleted - don´t know why.

Jason and I have tried to work out our partnership with little success. Why the minor attack against me, I'm not sure. We have both decided that it would be best if my organization was not involved. I'm sorry if this has hurt the fans in the UK but business decisions are made based on available information and we were having a hard time communicating.

another show is based on a couple of entertainment values, decoration, artwork, convention merchandise, lectures, workshop, parties, concerts and so forth.

My idea was, to do the same at another show UK but all my attempts to work together with SM failed. Even the smallest suggestions and hints were ignored.

Okay, it is their company, and they are doing an awful lot of shows and are very busy throughout the year. Jason told me to wait, because he is doing one show at a time. That is his good right, because it is his country and his company. So i won´t argue with that.

But as the time comes closer to the event, there was still not a single meeting between us to work on the show. And because we are providing a certain level of entertainment and show value, i knew, that we were not able to meet the german another show standards. So this all let to my final decision.

I hope, we still can work together and stay friends, which we are in fact for almost 20 years.

Edited by DirkFedCon

Achso! Well Dirk I am sure you have tried and sometimes people do things with regrets later. I'm sure Jason's a fine person with all of the events he puts on. It is a tad bit much tho. How can we fans aford so many?

Anyway, that makes up my mind and I plan to stay in Deustchland. The Germany another show gives me what I need and a guest should never determine whether a person wants to drool or be entertained all day.

Maybe this should all be postponed til next year. Seems the intelligent thing to do and my hubby can come along too. :)

Hello,

yes it is true, i posted some in the past, and it gets deleted - don´t know why.

Jason and I have tried to work out our partnership with little success. Why the minor attack against me, I'm not sure. We have both decided that it would be best if my organization was not involved. I'm sorry if this has hurt the fans in the UK but business decisions are made based on available information and we were having a hard time communicating.

another show is based on a couple of entertainment values, decoration, artwork, convention merchandise, lectures, workshop, parties, concerts and so forth.

My idea was, to do the same at another show UK but all my attempts to work together with SM failed. Even the smallest suggestions and hints were ignored.

Okay, it is their company, and they are doing an awful lot of shows and are very busy throughout the year. Jason told me to wait, because he is doing one show at a time. That is his good right, because it is his country and his company. So i won´t argue with that.

But as the time comes closer to the event, there was still not a single meeting between us to work on the show. And because we are providing a certain level of entertainment and show value, i knew, that we were not able to meet the german another show standards. So this all let to my final decision.

I hope, we still can work together and stay friends, which we are in fact for almost 20 years.

Thanks for that Dirk. This makes me so angry :chair: We kept being told that another show was being worked on. A friend of mine was banned from here for voicing her opinion about the con and that nothing had been done about it, and was told that it WAS being worked on and details were imminent, and this was months ago. Clearly that was a lie, and nothing of the sort was happening. :blink:

Showmasters, just admit defeat and give us our money back please! The stress of this is making me ill, like I now have headaches and can't sleep because of it. It's not fair to us to keep us waiting and waiting.

I can only repeat what some others have already mentioned. A lot more tickets would have been sold if the website had been updated on a regular basis. Even the smallest anouncement of people from the Tolkien Society coming in or whatever would a made a huge difference. I know that some of my friends didn't book because they were waiting for ANYTHING to happen on the website.

This, above all, is what's been really pissing off myself and others about the whole affair. :grump: Even if there wasn't much to tell us, the occasional thing would've helped. :chair:

Same here!!! :blink::YAHOO:

• Moderators

I don't really think the point of this topic was to have people 'choose sides' etc - and I'm quite disappointed that it has gone that way.

Obviously not everyone is doing it, but it's not going to help anything.

I don't really think the point of this topic was to have people 'choose sides' etc - and I'm quite disappointed that it has gone that way.

Obviously not everyone is doing it, but it's not going to help anything.

I dont want to choose sides David, I wanted Showmasters to have been honest from the beginning. My friend was really upset at the time at being banned for voicing her concerns (and ok not necessarily in the most tactful way) and Stuart I think it was telling her that it was being worked on, that plans were underfoot etc, when clearly nothing of the sort was happening. Lying to your paying customers isn't the best way to do business. If Jason had come here and posted earlier on about the difficulties getting guests (and I'm guessing that leaving it so late doesnt help with their availability) then some of the members here who have contacts, may have been able to help too. I'm sure there's lots we could all have done to promote and get word out about the event, but we have been left in the dark so much, no wonder so many of us are wanting to jump ship (enough cliches in there? lol)

@David B - my dear there are loads of true Lord of the Rings fans who feel let down. It's difficult for some to attend overseas events and this was a chance to have it bought to them. It isn't an autograph collecting session, it's about a "real love" of Tolkien. To have something taken away which you hold deep in your heart hurts. Possibly this is why the posts have the feel that some are taking sides?? To most however, Germany is out of the question and if they are a little angry then so be it, it's understandable :blink:

Germany is certainly out of the question for me. I've never considered going, because I'm a single mum and can't easily go away (2 days at a UK con is easier), and :chair: because I don't actually have a passport. Mine expired 2 years ago and since I couldnt afford to go away anyway, I never renewed it. The idea of having another show here where I live, has always been the perfect solution for me.

Edited by jael001

I think one of the problems here might be that SM are used to running signing events, not cons. A signing event is relatively easy to put up (to be very basic, you need names, a room and some tables!), whereas a con takes months and months of everyday planning; putting a schedule together, which alone is h***, and all those other things that you don't really need to have signings.

Tell me about it... I emailed Jason offering to help as I actually run a purely LOTR museum and he didn't even respond!

If they were indeed joint partners, then surely it is equally RC Germany's responsibility to help organise it and get guests? They can't expect to have Showmasters do 100% of the work yet be associated with its success regardless.

From what I have heard from some people behind RC Germany, it was mostly the named that was lent to RC UK, not much else. It was supposed to be SM's event to run.

.................................~~............................................ :(

*sigh*

Like everyone here, I was looking forward to RCUK so much.

Now all I feel like doing whenever I think about it is: :D:grump::crying:

To Jael100 re the stress thing - if it's any comfort to you at all, you're not on your own there, sweetheart.

For those of you who have booked hotels, I've just spoken to Endsleigh (insurance company) and your hotel is covered if the event is cancelled apparently! it was £12 for me and my partner.

I know it sounds grim and negative but its good to have all angles covered :crying::D

Edited by GondorGirl

Wow, there is way too much to read in this thread lol. Thou I liked the movies I never had any intention to go to this event but I do hope it happens for all the people on here that want it so much.

So to lighten the mood a bit …

frodo3hqeg4.gif

I think one of the problems here might be that SM are used to running signing events, not cons. A signing event is relatively easy to put up (to be very basic, you need names, a room and some tables!), whereas a con takes months and months of everyday planning; putting a schedule together, which alone is h***, and all those other things that you don't really need to have signings.

Don't even go there :D that's one of the reasons my friend got banned from here, for questioning Showmasters ability to run an event like this.

I've just done a search and found the whole thread where all this was discussed back in May http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=31954 and although I'm embarrassed by what my friend said as some things are pretty bad :crying: and it's painful reading, she did have some good points to make and those points are still valid now 4 months later.

Don't even go there :D that's one of the reasons my friend got banned from here, for questioning Showmasters ability to run an event like this.

I've just done a search and found the whole thread where all this was discussed back in May http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=31954 and although I'm embarrassed by what my friend said as some things are pretty bad :crying: and it's painful reading, she did have some good points to make and those points are still valid now 4 months later.

As one of the main people involved in that thread I think I can safely say it was closed for a good reason and doesn't need to be brought up again.

Not having a go at you though, just giving some friendly advice :grump:

I agree, it was closed for a good reason, I was just wanting to point out that we've already been told that Showmasters staff have got experience in running conventions, not just signing events. I'm wondering though, Stuart was the one involved in that 'discussion' but he's not been posting recently. Is he still involved in this event?