Future of RingCon

showmasters

Dont really want to get into anything with you but i feel that i am entitled to my opinon... LFACC that just happened unfortunately didnt have the same atmosphere never mind the lights etc its all about the feeling for me.. i just wasnt excited...

This is taking all the enjoyment out of it for me and i'm sorry to say but it does come across that money is the crux of this situation... I know its a fine line but at the end of the day SM have my money for this event already and they arent delivering and i doubt that this event can get off the ground without stacks of cash despite the fans so what can you do...

Just refund or give it 1000% effort... either way i have no choice in the matter so why ask us should they cancel?!

thanks for the squish hun need it today... family funeral! :D(((

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say that the 2 guests listed wouldnt be enough for me to travel down from Scotland.

As much as I love meeting JRD and hearing him on stage, and also would love a photo with David Wenham, when the poll was started earlier this year, and it was said that all of the guests were obtainable, i was kind of hoping for the likes of sean bean, ian holm, and a few of the really big stars like christopher lee, viggo or orlando. And with being the week after G-Mex, which I already plan on meeting nearly all the guests announced, I just couldnt manage this event.

• Showmasters Admin

Well said Rosie...

Lets hope SM just make a decision soon cause I'm getting really fed up with coming on the forum to check..

Much more important things to be getting on with... I must say that after my disappointment with LFACC the other week and this dragging on, unless someone comes up with an answer soon i will be put off most if not all of SM events...

Sorry thats just how i feel...

I just feel that they are taking too much on and not delivering because they are spreading themselves too thin..

Someone at SM said its not about the money but surely if you wont get a big name due to cost then its obv all about the money and slightly about the fans..

JUST MY OPINION so dont go flaming me!

Veasse xx

Err... Veasse, the only guest I said was a lot of money was Orlando and the amount I was quoted may have been to put me off asking his people again; for every other guest was down to if they were interested in coming to an event or that they were not around at the right time to attend the event.

So I am sorry Veasse but it is NOT about money, and I do think I have proven myself lots of times in the past on this point, so please do not try to make me out as a money grabbing person, as the people that know me well on here will tell you otherwise.

One last thing. We are trying to make this happen but things like this really make me sad.

We only talked about the issues we are having to be up front and fair to you all, but whatever we do we seem to get attacked, and nothing we do is going to make all of you happy.

So I am now going to push the guests we are negotiating with one last time and we will let you know what we are going to do about this event soon.

Its ironic. When thing are going well everyone wants to be a part of it, but when things are not going well many people run like rats leaving a sinking ship or turn on you. I will talk more after we decide what we plan to do. If we go for it we will be committed; if we decide to call it a day then we will make a statement to clear things up and you will be refunded for your tickets.

and Veasse sorry to here of you loss , i just had one as well, its very hard to deal with and it changes you i think

well on with the battle ground of anger and upset makes me think twice some times as to why we do it, but when we got the 3 hobbits together back at c4 we made so meny people happy and some of them will remeber that day for the rest of there lives so we did make a difrence that day

well we can not get it right all of the time i gess

we will get back to you all soon on this, it will not be long eather way

Jason

Thanks for the update Jason. I was at C4 and yes it was an exciting (although chaotic!) day - kinda like beatlemania, but in a shopping mall :)

I hope this comes off.... I've been to many SM events for the LOTR stars, beginning at C3. I had an awesome time at FF2, due to it being my daughters 10th birthday, and have been looking forward to an SM attempt at that style of event ever since it was mooted.

Even if it doesn't happen, thanks for all you've done over the years. It's certainly made my life that little bit brighter.

Just to summarise my stance on the guests talked about so far:

AS+JRD+DW = 2 days tickets should they become available

AS+JRD+DW+(??? e.g tall fellowship members or some who went to FF1 - Karl Urban, Bernard Hill) = 1 silver and 1 day ticket.

Get one of the big female stars and perhaps make that silver a gold :)

I'll await further info with baited breath.

TFG

Err... Veasse, the only guest I said was a lot of money was Orlando and the amount I was quoted may have been to put me off asking his people again; for every other guest was down to if they were interested in coming to an event or that they were not around at the right time to attend the event.

So I am sorry Veasse but it is NOT about money, and I do think I have proven myself lots of times in the past on this point, so please do not try to make me out as a money grabbing person, as the people that know me well on here will tell you otherwise.

One last thing. We are trying to make this happen but things like this really make me sad.

We only talked about the issues we are having to be up front and fair to you all, but whatever we do we seem to get attacked, and nothing we do is going to make all of you happy.

So I am now going to push the guests we are negotiating with one last time and we will let you know what we are going to do about this event soon.

Its ironic. When thing are going well everyone wants to be a part of it, but when things are not going well many people run like rats leaving a sinking ship or turn on you. I will talk more after we decide what we plan to do. If we go for it we will be committed; if we decide to call it a day then we will make a statement to clear things up and you will be refunded for your tickets.

and Veasse sorry to here of you loss , i just had one as well, its very hard to deal with and it changes you i think

well on with the battle ground of anger and upset makes me think twice some times as to why we do it, but when we got the 3 hobbits together back at c4 we made so meny people happy and some of them will remeber that day for the rest of there lives so we did make a difrence that day

well we can not get it right all of the time i gess

we will get back to you all soon on this, it will not be long eather way

Jason

Do try to see that there are also quite a few supporting you! :D

Good Luck and hope to hear some posivite announcemnets soon! :D

Well said Rosie...

Lets hope SM just make a decision soon cause I'm getting really fed up with coming on the forum to check..

Much more important things to be getting on with... I must say that after my disappointment with LFACC the other week and this dragging on, unless someone comes up with an answer soon i will be put off most if not all of SM events...

Sorry thats just how i feel...

I just feel that they are taking too much on and not delivering because they are spreading themselves too thin..

Someone at SM said its not about the money but surely if you wont get a big name due to cost then its obv all about the money and slightly about the fans..

JUST MY OPINION so dont go flaming me!

Veasse xx

and Veasse sorry to hear of your loss , i just had one as well, its very hard to deal with and it changes you i think

well on with the battle ground of anger and upset makes me think twice some times as to why we do it, but when we got the 3 hobbits together back at c4 we made so many people happy and some of them will remember that day for the rest of their lives so we did make a difference that day

well we can not get it right all of the time i guess

we will get back to you all soon on this, it will not be long either way

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the reply but it seems that you only reply when someone hits a chord... My intention wasnt to ATTACK you however if you feel that way i'm sorry.

I thought my feelings and opinon was important and i think i'm entitled to them i have sat every night and have read every post...

I'm passionate about conventions and i was also at C4 in fact i've been to most of your events...

I look forward to finding out the outcome of this and i think i will leave it for a few days before returning to check because i'm getting extremely anxious and its not good for my health!

Please also note i went to a particularly awful con in Manchester where there was a complete uproar and i do not want a repeat of that event... Its no fun for the guests and despite being some fun for attendees I hated seeing the guests put through such a traumatic situation.

Veasse

The Showmasters Team

IN SUMMARY: What we need to know - if we add David Wenham and John Rhys Davies, then will those of you out there who haven't yet booked do so?

If you were to get David Wenham I would definitely seriously consider attending this year. It would be hard to pass up that opportunity!

SM, it looks like you may have a winner with that suggestion. :YAHOO::thumbup:

I will buy a ticket for the another show, if David will come. David is my preciousssssss. :dance:

I haven't met David and even though I have met Andy and JRD many times, I LOVE THEM BOTH!!!! They are true stars! I'm happy with the three, very happy!

I'd probably go, although I've met all three before - Andy three times. If day tickets became available I'd also bring my daughter for 1 day, since she's desparate to meet JRD. I'd need somebody I haven't met in order to make the probably a definite for the weekend. 2 day tickets would be a definite.

:thumbup: Well I have not met David or JRD and I think they will be fantastic guests. I am one of those odd folks who don't mind if they have seen a guest before so any would do for me (I need something to justify my gold ticket!) and all the LOTR guests I have seen have been really entertaining, genuine and truly nice people. So as long as there is a good varied line-up I'll be happy. (but if you want more suggestions, Alan Lee, John Howe, Jed Brophy, Sandro Kopp.......)

:wub:...I must not ask for Viggo!...I must not ask for Viggo!...I must not ask for Viggo!...I must not ask for Viggo! :wub:

I haven't booked a ticket yet partly because I've been waiting to see who else would be announced, and partly because I spent a lot at LFACC so I don't have much spare cash at the moment. Each of these potential guests sounds good, though.

My husband and I would definitely attend if these 2 actors were going to be there - we've been thinking about it for a while but we're only really into the meeting the guests and collecting autographs - so we don't want to commit while it's just Andy Serkis (great guest though he may be of course!).

If David Wenham and John Rhys Davies are confirmed we'll certainly attend though - we'll be the nervous looking ones in the corner!

I'll go if they're announced :thumbup:

It seems everyone here at the boards are old hands at going to Ringcons, but I have NEVER been to one, and I'd gladly take whatever is on offer, especially DW and JRD and Andy Serkis too.

IF you want to attract new customers along with the ones who've seen it all I think there has to be the actors too. Because I believe they are the ones who can pull in new persons into the another show-thing, at least it works that way with me.

Lets get this show on the road, i'm now booking after this thread.

Mr Serkis, Wenham and Rhys Davies is a great start and Jason is right we HAVE TO SUPPORT HIM, hell, the guests we have had in the past have been unbelievable and I don't want him to forget us ringers for future SM events ie, this leaves a bad taste.

Thats me done - weekend ticket booked.

Roll on another show!!

I seem to remember Andy Serkis and David Wenham being second and third in the 'second choice of who do you want to hang out with' poll.

Considering some of the first choice names on offer look like hard to get people, what with popularity and the fact they are not known for doing cons...I reckon the 3 guests listed so far are pretty bang on.

I'm not complaining at all..I just want this to happen like the rest of you, and the guests announced/suggested so far are okay by me :)

This is a VERY SMALL selection of all the positive comments about this event so Jason stop focusing on the negative and start looking at all the positive comments about this event! Talk about selective hearing!! :YAHOO::dance::YAHOO:

GondorGirl, that is a great post but even though all those people are gladly supporting the event on here, Jason posted that only 3 people actually put their money where their mouths are and bought tickets.

If David and John were actually booked as guests, rather than Jason just saying he can get them if he wants/needs, then maybe more people would be happy to buy tickets. Also, if Jason announces details of day tickets, then more people may actually buy tickets. So far he's not even responded to that suggestion.

And in case anyone thinks I'm bashing this event again, I'm really not trying to be negative here, I'm trying to make positive suggestions.

Edited by jael001

I was one of them - and I was waiting to hear what further announcements were going to be made, and I have been to every SM event where there has been a LOTR guest from day 1.

I just thought bugger this, if everyone holds off we are screwed, having faith in SM is what counts, I appreciate it hasn't had the best prep, but God, has Jason delivered. Its not just about C4, getting Bernard Hill and Miranda Otto were highglights for everyone; and most events Jason serves us with great LOTR guests. We have been spoilt (and thats an understatement)

Just buy a ticket everyone - if you can go both days get a weekend pass, if not wait for the day tickets if these are going to be made available.

Thanks for the update Jason. I was at C4 and yes it was an exciting (although chaotic!) day - kinda like beatlemania, but in a shopping mall I'll await further info with baited breath.

TFG

I agree - C4 was a magical weekend in all; possibly the best that I've ever been to.

There is a saying that lightening never strikes in the same place twice - but that was said about Star Trek:The Next Generation and as I recall, that series and the other ST spin-offs all did rather well... :thumbup:

And in case anyone thinks I'm bashing this event again, I'm really not trying to be negative here, I'm trying to make positive suggestions.

You're right; just because someone makes supposedly "negative" comments or expresses frustration doesn't automatically mean that they don't support RCUK. The two things aren't mutually exclusive and you can say you're not happy about this aspect or that aspect whilst still being strongly committed. Also, the "rats deserting a sinking ship" analogy Jason used doesn't seem fair when, despite having a number of grumbles, most of us are still here. :thumbup: Er, not saying we're rats, there, btw...um...oh, just leave it... :thumbup:

Edited by yeltz-lass

:thumbup:

Blimey,

It has all gone mad!!

You have my support SM.

I have put my money where my mouth is and a lot more on costume making for the event.

I will continue with my costumes and will enjoy wearing them.

Knowing RKUK is happening has kept me going. I have focused fully on my costumes. (SM if you want a costume dispaly I have made too many to wear I do not mind showing them off somehow.)

We want this to happen. C'mon everyone where is the Fellowship Spirit.

Keep the faith.

Love Jo

:thumbup:

GondorGirl, that is a great post but even though all those people are gladly supporting the event on here, Jason posted that only 3 people actually put their money where their mouths are and bought tickets.

If David and John were actually booked as guests, rather than Jason just saying he can get them if he wants/needs, then maybe more people would be happy to buy tickets. Also, if Jason announces details of day tickets, then more people may actually buy tickets. So far he's not even responded to that suggestion.

Agreed Jael but lets not forget that this thread was opened NOT to sell more tix but to see who would buy if they were announced, the fact that 3 more tix have sold is just a bonus, at least another 20 have expressed that they would buy :D

GG - Great post, good to point out the positives,

I'm loving the new positive attitude people! Keep it up :dance:

I would go if other guests were announced but I have met JRD 3 times now and David Wenham is nice - but I speak - like I am sure others if you could get some other major characters like Hugo Weaving , Karl Urban , Ian Holm , Sean Bean or Bernard Hill again ... bookings would really go up

I know you said you cannot afford Orlando Bloom - but some of the names I just mentioned would get every LOTR fan interested to add to their collection.

But JRD / David Wenham doesnt tempt me at all now sorry.

I have booked silver pass and if possible would upgrade to gold, same goes for the two others who are going with me. if it would help to make this happen. So come on all you Doubting Thomas's get your fingers out. Book Now

Now that's what I call putting your money where your mouth is, morag - nice one! :D:smile:

but when we got the 3 hobbits together back at c4 we made so many people happy and some of them will remember that day for the rest of their lives, so we did make a difference that day

I will be eternally grateful to SM for that day. Before then, I was unaware of the existence of this type of event and never believed it would be possible to meet my beloved 'Frodo' in the flesh. Since then I have met him at other events in the US, at LF&CC, and even been an extra in Elijah's new film 'The Oxford Murders' - but CM4 was special because it was the first time and to see the wonderful cameraderie between the hobbits first-hand (sadly no Billy) was such a treat. I saw Elijah & Sean's Q&A session on both the Sat & Sun and it was just magic. I know I'm straying from the main topic here, but I just want to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to SM for making that happen. And, I may be a hopeless optimist, but I'd love to think that some time in the future, perhaps when various LOTR anniversaries come around, we may perhaps see them all together again at a similar event.

SM,

By all means, please hold another show UK - with the advantage of the day tickets for those of us who can't commit to the full weekend. Also, if more big names were scheduled to appear, such as Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen, Sir Ian McKellen etc ... then another show - bearing in mind the sort of event it is - would be a much safer bet than, say, a Collectormania event.

Not that I'm rubbishing any of SM's events - but from a point of safety and also the point of avoiding the chavs who would be likely to rush Orlando as he was in Pirates of the Caribbean if he or any of the other big names turned up to a standard free entry show like Collectormania.

Andy, JRD & David Wenham are good guests - but I think people may be wanting more of the big names (who haven't been to other SM events in the UK) - before myself & my fiancee would buy tickets. That's just economics on our side, nothing against the events themselves or the organisers.

Cheers,

Felice