Future of RingCon

showmasters

Like most LOTR fans i got my ticket well in advance...[like when they first came out]. But have been very disappointed by the lack of info over all the months.

Yes life does bite you on the bottom and in the family from time to time and thus even if another show goes ahead i will not be able to attend.

I have supported SM for years and think they do wonderful events........though i hate to say this....and remember it is only a thought.....maybe just maybe and sadly LOTRs has had its day.I love the films and have wondered all over UK going to Cons to meet various actors and behind the scence people from the films.

I have even made two costumes at great expense to wear to another show but alas it is not to be.

I hope that for everyone else it goes ahead but not for me.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I selfishly also would like a refund too, but that's because my best-friend from school's son is having his barmitzvah that weekend and I've been putting off giving her an answer as to whether I'll be there for months. For her I'd rather be there than at a convention I don't think will be worth the money I paid for a silver pass.

I do understand those of you who really want this to go ahead, but if those who're saying it are all people that have already booked, then it's not really of any help to Jason is it? It needs NEW people to be putting their money where their mouth is, and with only a "we have the chance to get these people" rather than a "we've booked these people" not many are going to be willing to part with their money.

I think sometimes the best guests are the smaller ones but we really need a hobbit someone else like that to pull the people in to go.

Events are like this about the film/books that's why I think people like Tolkien society would be good.

Edited by hobbitlover

*seconds what Orlandopassion said*

There are so many guests that can be booked that won't cost as much as Mr Bloom :) I would be just as happy seeing them as one of the main headlining guests! They have just as much to tell us as the main members of the fellowship :) If the bigger guests can't be booked then go for the smaller guests, extras, tech peeps and suchlike.

*holds up a banner saying 'support another show UK'*

Holds up a second banner - SAVE UK another show!!

Please guys, let's make it happen. Please SM, get another good guest. For my part they are ALL good guests. Elves, Orcs, Hobbits, Rohirrim, Uruk-Hai, Men, Women etc etc - I love meeting them. They are the bread and butter of all such gatherings and they remember fans. They are way more approachable, too, than some of the more successful headliners. You can have a laugh with them, long into the night, at times.

It's not too late. Not yet.

xx

I'm still crossing everything, holding my breath, praying this goes ahead, waiting for news.......

YL I love your idea of getting the stage show involved (even someone to talk about the costumes or stage mechanics). That would be a real coup. They made a great impact at the Children of Hurin book launch.

I selfishly also would like a refund too, ...

I do understand those of you who really want this to go ahead, but if those who're saying it are all people that have already booked, then it's not really of any help to Jason is it?

Noone's saying it's selfish to want a refund but it is selfish when people say they want the event this cancelled, it's a bit of a "f**k what anyone else wants attitude", whether intentional or not.

Jael001 - I do hope you are aware of the irony of telling people who have already booked not to say anything because it doesn't help Jason, when YOU'VE ALREADY BOOKED, kind of negates what you said. :D

Yeltz-Lass - No news is good news, they haven't cancelled anything yet! Let's stay positive :o:(:(:D:D:dance:;):dance:

Edited by GondorGirl

I do understand those of you who really want this to go ahead, but if those who're saying it are all people that have already booked, then it's not really of any help to Jason is it?

So maybe we should all shut up, then?:o

No of couse not, but it's not the 70 of us (plus the 3 who booked over the weekend) that are going to make it work or not work, it's the 200 other attendees that are needed to book and pay that in the end will decide if the event goes ahead or not from what Jason has said. We can beg and plead with our friends to book as much as we can, but if people wont part with their money until they know more then what can we do? Also Showmasters putting doubt in our minds as to whether it will go ahead or not is not exactly a selling point for people thinking they may book. Yes of course they'll get their money back if it doesnt go ahead, but if I'd not already booked, I definitely wouldn't be now on that basis alone.

I know some of you think I'm being overly negative. I don't think I am, I'm trying to be realistic. I went to the last FF and had a great time, I booked this back in February because I was excited about this event and paid for a Silver Pass because I knew it'd help me have an even more wonderful time, but *counts on fingers* 7 months later, I no longer care. I feel like I've wasted my time and effort and a large chunk of money on something that personally I feel hasn't been given the chance that it should have, by Showmasters not trying to organise the smaller guests and speakers first and then trying for the bigger guests. To not have a single scholar, stunt guy or other background person is unforgiveable to me this late in the game. The FF might only have had Billy as it's main guest, but it was people Craig and Mark, Jed Brophy, Sala Baker etc etc that made it work for me. Ok it was a financial disaster, I get that, but those of us attending didnt know that and we had a good time while we were there.

Expectations were high for this one and thats caused the disappointment.

I agree, expectations WERE high for this. Mine were high as it was linked with another show Germany and I'd heard so much about last year's event and how amazing it was, and I assumed that this one would be as good. Also, with the prices being charged, how could we NOT expect it to be amazing? Especially now that we've seen how much is being charged for other Showmasters conventions like Eclipse and Lockdown.

I think we might as well face it - another show is not going ahead is it?:D

I just hate this waiting for the axe to fall!:o

If it goes ahead it goes ahead if not then we still have other events on the scope.

That's the problem for me, though - none of the other events SM have up their collective sleeves have guests/cover shows etc that I personally am interested in. :(

I agree, expectations WERE high for this. Mine were high as it was linked with another show Germany and I'd heard so much about last year's event and how amazing it was, and I assumed that this one would be as good. Also, with the prices being charged, how could we NOT expect it to be amazing? Especially now that we've seen how much is being charged for other Showmasters conventions like Eclipse and Lockdown.

I agree for the above reasons expectations were high. But that does not mean that because it does not match people's expectations that the whole thing should be cancelled. We should hope that SM do their best & we can adjust our expectations accordingly, nothing is set in stone.

THIRD BANNER - another show CAN STILL BE GREAT :o

Edited by GondorGirl

I agree for the above reasons expectations were high. But that does not mean that because it does not match people's expectations that the whole thing should be cancelled. We should hope that SM do their best & we can adjust our expectations accordingly, nothing is set in stone.

THIRD BANNER - another show CAN STILL BE GREAT :YAHOO:

Yes! Agreement all round and i think i should add another banner - UK another show WILL ROCK!

So maybe we should all shut up, then?:YAHOO:

No of couse not, but it's not the 70 of us (plus the 3 who booked over the weekend) that are going to make it work or not work, it's the 200 other attendees that are needed to book and pay that in the end will decide if the event goes ahead or not from what Jason has said. We can beg and plead with our friends to book as much as we can, but if people wont part with their money until they know more then what can we do? Also Showmasters putting doubt in our minds as to whether it will go ahead or not is not exactly a selling point for people thinking they may book. Yes of course they'll get their money back if it doesnt go ahead, but if I'd not already booked, I definitely wouldn't be now on that basis alone.

I know some of you think I'm being overly negative. I don't think I am, I'm trying to be realistic. I went to the last FF and had a great time, I booked this back in February because I was excited about this event and paid for a Silver Pass because I knew it'd help me have an even more wonderful time, but *counts on fingers* 7 months later, I no longer care. I feel like I've wasted my time and effort and a large chunk of money on something that personally I feel hasn't been given the chance that it should have, by Showmasters not trying to organise the smaller guests and speakers first and then trying for the bigger guests. To not have a single scholar, stunt guy or other background person is unforgiveable to me this late in the game. The FF might only have had Billy as it's main guest, but it was people Craig and Mark, Jed Brophy, Sala Baker etc etc that made it work for me. Ok it was a financial disaster, I get that, but those of us attending didnt know that and we had a good time while we were there.

Actually, I'd like to applaud much of what you've said here - jael100, you've summed up a lot of what's bothered me about this event, such as the feeling that RCUK hasn't been given the chances it should've had and how it's going to be hard to attract any new people to attend when the organisers themselves seem to have shown so little faith in it, even if that's not been the case.

Edited by yeltz-lass

I know cons aren't all about guests it's about the event but I'm suprised that Tolkien Society isn't going to be invovled.

I would of thought these guys would be a perfect match for this event.

I've not posted yet, still been reading all the news and views on this thread, but I haven't seen anything that says the Tolkien Society have said they aren't coming.

That said though somebody waaaay back (somewhere in the early pages but I'm too tired to look now having just had a great weekend at Oxonmoot) said that people like John Howe, Alan Lee and the Tolkien Society didn't need as much warning to be booked - sorry but these guys all have lives and committments of their own so two months notice might not be enough.

Edited by D20

At first - it's goot to get new informations. I can understand that it is necessary to sell a number of tickets that this event will happen.

This threat was open to collect information who will aditionall come when David an Rys will come. Now it is far away from this apointment.

I can understand if some are angry about the less information but can't you open an one threat.

I belive to get more ticket sold and see what the reaktion is, it would be better to update the rincon webside an wait 2 weeks.

It would be good to know if we get this con or not until the first week of oktober so everyone has some the chance to book an other event if another show uk not das happen.

I know cons aren't all about guests it's about the event but I'm suprised that Tolkien Society isn't going to be invovled.

I've not posted yet, still been reading all the news and views on this thread, but I haven't seen anything that says the Tolkien Society have said they aren't coming.

That said though somebody waaaay back (somewhere in the early pages but I'm too tired to look now having just had a great weekend at Oxonmoot) said that people like John Howe, Alan Lee and the Tolkien Society didn't need as much warning to be booked - sorry but these guys all have lives and committments of their own so two months notice might not be enough.

It's not that they've said they're not coming, it's that they've not even been approached (yet).

as to the The Tolkein Society we did want to work with them as well as a lot of the people that are LOTR fandom but felt we should work on getting guests first and then look at content latter

It's not that they've said they're not coming, it's that they've not even been approached (yet).

as to the The Tolkein Society we did want to work with them as well as a lot of the people that are LOTR fandom but felt we should work on getting guests first and then look at content latter

Oh......... seems its not happening then............

I think that David and John need to be confirmed too to get the ball rolling on another show cos I want it to go ahead so badly and it seems like everything has gone against sm after postponing the event once and so I think they need as much support for another show as we can give them. Come on guys, if you love LOTR I'm sure you'd want this con to work and all the negativity on this forum hasn't helped and its got WAY to personal in some posts...and I don't want a bitter feeling hanging over another show. I brought my ticket when it was first announced and have been looking forward to it for so long cos I've never met Andy :YAHOO: and it would be so disappointing if it didn't go ahead. David Wenham is a great guest and so is John Rhys Davies and I just hope :D that it goes ahead...

I think that David and John need to be confirmed too to get the ball rolling on another show cos I want it to go ahead so badly and it seems like everything has gone against sm after postponing the event once and so I think they need as much support for another show as we can give them. Come on guys, if you love LOTR I'm sure you'd want this con to work and all the negativity on this forum hasn't helped and its got WAY to personal in some posts...and I don't want a bitter feeling hanging over another show. I brought my ticket when it was first announced and have been looking forward to it for so long cos I've never met Andy :dance: and it would be so disappointing if it didn't go ahead. David Wenham is a great guest and so is John Rhys Davies and I just hope :dance: that it goes ahead...

We mostly all want it to but time is getting very short now. I think what undid this event was the lack of news. People sprt of lost interest a bit.

not sure i truly agree with that seems there professional lives are dedicated to LOTR and Tolkien

We mostly all want it to but time is getting very short now. I think what undid this event was the lack of news. People sprt of lost interest a bit.

Yup! I think you hit the nail on the head, a lot of the posts I've read in the last month have indicated that people were keen but ....

And now time is very short for people to arrange weekends off work, or book travel, even if they have the money to come be they fans of the films, fans of the books (or both), or just autograph hunters. And that also applies to Alan, John and the TS bods.

We ARE still trying to make this convention happen and I still have several guests I am waiting to hear back from. There is not a huge chance that they will be available, but we will wait and see. If one of them is, then the convention will probably go ahead as they are good guests and should satisfy those fans still waiting to book their tickets

Now, if one of those guests happened to be Elijah Wood, and he was confirmed - I would book up in a heartbeat. Viggo or Orli ? No thanks, not for me. Only Elijah would do it. Yes, I do realise that meeting a specific actor should not be the sole reason for attending a con - but since you recognise that many people do only attend for that reason - would it not be somehow possible to decide on which actor(s) you want to aim for (eg Elijah!!) and then try to stage the event to fit in with their schedule? Ok, I know that wouldn't be possible for this year, and would probably be too difficult to arrange anyway, but it was just a thought.

Also, I do agree with those who can't understand people not wanting to see a guest more than once. If you have a favourite, you can't see them too many times, surely!!

I'd love to know if Elijah has been approached for this event - I know he was due to attend another show, Germany last year but sadly had to cancel.

I think the main answer to the 'how can you see your favourite too many times?' is MONEY. Many people cannot afford to keep meeting the same people time & again. I have my favourite actor (Elijah) who I would pay for numerous times (but however much I would want too I still couldn't justify going to another show just for elijah), but since I have met Andy numerous times, David twice & JRD once before, I couldn't justify paying out that amount of money to see them again!

It would have to be a good rare guest for me to be able to justify spending and I can understand showmasters dilema here, I imagine for most LOTR actors LOTR was a long time ago now and I imagine most of them have moved on!!