Future of RingCon

showmasters

Obviously if the event lost money/went bust, was a financial rip off,

Err, no. A ripoff is deliberate. A bankrupcy is not. I think any good dictionary would tell you as much...

they're not going to try to emulate that at another show.

Oh, you mean they won't actually try to lose money? Dang... so that's where TFF went wrong!

Either way, whatever reason or term, money was lost. If they can see reasons to avoid that, they're going to avoid it. There's nothing wrong with that, except in the eyes of those who think that the 500% enjoyment of the attendees is more important than whether a business goes bankrupt.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Rosie and FLM:

*huggles all round* :D

Wyvern several posts up has said much the same as I have about how it's the passion everyone on this thread and board has for LOTR which is making us feel the way we do. We want it to happen, we are all on the same side, and while infighting's not helpful, again I think it's an indication of the strength of feeling.

Edited by yeltz-lass

I seem to remember Andy Serkis and David Wenham being second and third in the 'second choice of who do you want to hang out with' poll.

Considering some of the first choice names on offer look like hard to get people, what with popularity and the fact they are not known for doing cons...I reckon the 3 guests listed so far are pretty bang on.

I'm not complaining at all..I just want this to happen like the rest of you, and the guests announced/suggested so far are okay by me :)

To Rosie and FLM:

*huggles all round* :unsure:

Wyvern several posts up has said much the same as I have about how it's the passion everyone on this thread and board has for LOTR which is making us feel the way we do. We want it to happen, we are all on the same side, and while infighting's not helpful, again I think it's an indication of the strength of feeling.

*huggles returned in abundance* :wub:

Absolutely, totally agree with you 100% on this. Unfortunately I do turn into a right mardy old cow..which isn't good...:D

Rosie - definitely, definitely *definitely* going now.... xxx

Either way, whatever reason or term, money was lost. If they can see reasons to avoid that, they're going to avoid it. There's nothing wrong with that, except in the eyes of those who think that the 500% enjoyment of the attendees is more important than whether a business goes bankrupt.

Oh, you mean someone here actually thought so? Can you quote that part for me (I can't find it - neither the figures you mention nor the post saying that finances doesn't matter at all.)

Ok, instead of helping us try to save the event it seems that a small group of you just want to blame us for trying to run a another show in the UK in the first place.

And if you think that we are starting to give up, well after reading some of the posts on here then yes I do feel like that. Instead of all the fans grouping together to help make it happen we get a small number of people trying to lay blame.

Now you can attack us and say that this or that is our fault, but I think it's unfair to blame us for trying and it's certainly not productive. We put a lot of time and effort into our work and don't organise these events then cancel them just for the fun of it! So attack us if you want, but it will not save the event which was the only reasion I decided to put this thread up here in the first place.

Rich5wolfs: Do not give me this "it's your business" crap. Yes it is, and you should know that Showmasters is not run purely for profit. Why? Because I love running events and DO NOT do it simply to make money. However I do not intend to run an event which needs around 400 to 500 people to make it work if only 70 people want to actually come. Sorry mate, but it's about putting on a good show and it now looks like this event is not popular enough to make it work.

I think that we should take a good look at the problems with this event which may be stopping people booking tickets:

For those of you who have already bought tickets and have tried to help, I thank you for trying with us.

And for those of you that want to take a chunk out of us for failing, then go for it if it makes you feel better.

Jason

So your lack of communication is OUR FAULT? And your probably cancelling the event because so many of us have met John Rhys Davis is OUR FAULT? Oh, that's all right then. Silly me. Sorry, but this is a farce. I don't ask for Orlando or Viggo. Elijah would have made me fork out 75 quid or more without hesitation but that's just my weakness. But to get angry at US for being frustrated - grow up. Some of us have real problems in the real world.

Kinda regretting getting a gold pass now at £400

I can see that the event wont attract a whole load of new attendees, 70 sold so far is that correct?

TOTALLY wished I had waited before getting a GOLD, can't see what benefits gold passes will get with just a few attendees there.

Still want to go, but a regular weekend pass would have been my option now.

We ARE still trying to make this convention happen and I still have several guests I am waiting to hear back from. There is not a huge chance that they will be available, but we will wait and see. If one of them is, then the convention will probably go ahead as they are good guests and should satisfy those fans still waiting to book their tickets

Now, if one of those guests happened to be Elijah Wood, and he was confirmed - I would book up in a heartbeat. Viggo or Orli ? No thanks, not for me. Only Elijah would do it. Yes, I do realise that meeting a specific actor should not be the sole reason for attending a con - but since you recognise that many people do only attend for that reason - would it not be somehow possible to decide on which actor(s) you want to aim for (eg Elijah!!) and then try to stage the event to fit in with their schedule? Ok, I know that wouldn't be possible for this year, and would probably be too difficult to arrange anyway, but it was just a thought.

Also, I do agree with those who can't understand people not wanting to see a guest more than once. If you have a favourite, you can't see them too many times, surely!!

I'd love to know if Elijah has been approached for this event - I know he was due to attend another show, Germany last year but sadly had to cancel.

• Showmasters Admin

So your lack of communication is OUR FAULT? And your probably cancelling the event because so many of us have met John Rhys Davis is OUR FAULT? Oh, that's all right then. Silly me. Sorry, but this is a farce. I don't ask for Orlando or Viggo. Elijah would have made me fork out 75 quid or more without hesitation but that's just my weakness. But to get angry at US for being frustrated - grow up. Some of us have real problems in the real world.

NO i am not getting angry i am just telling you how it is and we are not blaming anybody

jason

• Showmasters Admin

'Kumo' post

"Second, funny though how that con got so many good reviews (here, as well) even though there was someone - interestingly enough with the same horrid spelling as I've seen in some posts here - who kept spreading lies about it,"

"horrid spelling" i am dyslexic its a disabilaty i am not proud of it i am what i am :blink:

and as to spreading lies about TFF if we had of wanted to tell what we had herd from the guests we could have told the fans alot more that got out but it would not have helped the guests that did not get paid so what was the point of saying anything

"Kumo" what was your involment with TFF ? you seem to have a lot of missinfomation for a fan ?

jason

pps have you ever thourt that a word for a speling disorder should be easer to spell than "dyslexic" :D

NO i am not getting angry i am just telling you how it is and we are not blaming anybody

jason

Apologies, Jason. I was "tired and emotional".

Orlando's management want a large fee, more than all the guests we have had in the past, making him completely unfeasible to get as a convention guest.

I was thinking about this and remembered a conversation I had with 10th Planet employees about guest signings. I was informed that when they had Kate O'Mara, the appearance fee they paid her meant that they made a loss on the signing event, but they justified it on the basis that it resulted in lots of people coming to the store and giving them follow-on sales which meant that in the long run they made back what they had paid out. If you got Orlando for this event I know at least two fangirls who would sign up for another show in a flash. If they enjoyed the event I reckon they would then come to future SM events.

As to the guy who is bashing Showmasters, if I understand you correctly you don't seem to care that your favourite actors did not get paid for appearing at an event. All you seem to care about is that you had fun. How shallow.

Please help me out here. I wanted to buy a ticket to another show UK but because my country (Finland) is NOT listed I can't even register to buy a ticket!! :blink:

Just out a name of a country that is on the list in for your details, and then put the correct address in the comments field. All orders are processed manually, so you are not doing anything wrong. :D

'Kumo' post

"horrid spelling" i am dyslexic its a disabilaty i am not proud of it i am what i am :huh:

Ehm, I haven't said a word about your particular spelling. All I said was that, ironically, there is someone on this board with the exact same pattern of "speech" and the exact same spelling mistakes as the person who went on and posted some rather untrue things about TFF. Unless that is you, you shouldn't have to feel particularly touched by that.

"Kumo" what was your involment with TFF ? you seem to have a lot of missinfomation for a fan ?

I wasn't in the financial team, thank God. :YAHOO:

But I was very much involved, and so I think you can take it from me that what you call "misinformation" is, actually, the truth. I know exactly what went on "behind" the even and what didn't - I was there all the way through. So before you claim that what I say is false, perhaps you should ask yourself how much you know for a fact yourself.

pps have you ever thourt that a word for a speling disorder should be easer to spell than "dyslexic" :angry:

Well, at least it's a word even non-dyslexics have problems spelling...

Please help me out here. I wanted to buy a ticket to another show UK but because my country (Finland) is NOT listed I can't even register to buy a ticket!! :huh:

Just out a name of a country that is on the list in for your details, and then put the correct address in the comments field. All orders are processed manually, so you are not doing anything wrong. :YAHOO:

Oh thanks a lot for the advice! I'll go over and buy a ticket, then, and just HOPE the another show will happen! :angry:

(editing 5 minuets later... *head desk* They had Finland there but as Suomi in Finnish ... I never thought it would be there in Finnish so I that's why I couldn't find it ;-) )

Edited by Bellis