Future of RingCon

showmasters

Lets get this show on the road, i'm now booking after this thread.

Mr Serkis, Wenham and Rhys Davies is a great start and Jason is right we HAVE TO SUPPORT HIM, hell, the guests we have had in the past have been unbelievable and I don't want him to forget us ringers for future SM events ie, this leaves a bad taste.

Now that is what i'm talkin about! Nice going Ringsfan - Coz lets face it, if enough people book it will happen! :chair:

To the others - Book now! You know that SM always put on a great party!!!

Wenham fans (missdaisy gonna need your help here!) - he will only be confirmed if you book (and if it is cancelled you'll just get your money back anyway!!)

Edited by frankslittlemachine

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wenham fans - he will only be confirmed if you book (and if it is cancelled you'll just get your money back anyway!!)

But...but...given how many of them there seem to be, won't some sort of rota system have to be established so none of them are disappointed? :chair::chair:

Wenham fans (missdaisy gonna need your help here!) - he will only be confirmed if you book (and if it is cancelled you'll just get your money back anyway!!)

hmm....you have a point there! I can't do anything about the booking personally, since I already bought a gold ticket way back in time....

But I'll tell the others....you know, if there won't be any refund or an event without David, I wouldn't have any friends left afterwards.... :chair:

Edited by missdaisy

But I'll tell the others....you know, if there wouldn't be any refund or an event without David, I wouldn't have any friends left afterwards.... :chair:

No need to worry - if it's cancelled, there will certainly be a refund, missdaisy. :chair:

Thank you very much! And I don't think they would even mention a guest unless they were pretty dam sure of getting them! :chair:

Edited by frankslittlemachine

You know I really don't give a f*ck anymore whether this goes ahead or not now. :chair: I'm getting sick of it.

I've had to cancel other events during the year in order to be able to afford to go to this and the prospect of not having it at all is making me upset and angry.

Good luck with it.

Edited by RosiePosieDanderfluff

You know I really don't give a pleasure anymore whether this goes ahead or not now. :chair: I'm getting sick of it.

I had to cancel other events in order to be able to afford to go to this and the prospect of not having it at all isn't making me a happy bunny.

Good luck with it.

:chair: It's bloomin' frustrating! :chair:

You know I really don't give a pleasure anymore whether this goes ahead or not now. :chair: I'm getting sick of it.

I had to cancel other events in order to be able to afford to go to this and the prospect of not having it at all isn't making me a happy bunny.

Good luck with it.

C'mon people, negativity just breed negativity, we all feel this way, but THIS is not going to make the event happen, I suspect that SM may know how we feel so just leave it behind and move forward. With enough positive energy it may still happen...COME ON!! :chair:

You know I really don't give a f*ck anymore whether this goes ahead or not now. :chair: I'm getting sick of it.

That's putting it mildly! :chair:

C'mon people, negativity just breed negativity, we all feel this way, but THIS is not going to make the event happen, I suspect that SM may know how we feel so just leave it behind and move forward. With enough positive energy it may still happen...COME ON!! :chair:

Sorry kid, but I ain't in the f*cking mood right now, alright! :chair:

Than I suggest you take it somewhere else, this does not help getting this event get going! I'm sorry to say it but it is true. Imagine if you had just joined the forum and were wanting to book and read THAT!

Hi folks, please just calm down!

I'm quite sure that we all want the same...in the end....just suffering from different levels of frustration :chair:

But why not put every effort in making it work? What would we loose by that? some energy...okay....but is this so bad....

And Jason, you'll probably laugh at me...but what about some sponsors ?

Than I suggest you take it somewhere else, this does not help getting this event get going! I'm sorry to say it but it is true. Imagine if you had just joined the forum and were wanting to book and read THAT!

DON'T YOU DARE PATRONIZE ME!!!!!! I'm sorry to say it, but it's true.

OK, I may not be all light and fluffy like the rest of you lot. I'm not happy about the whole thing. I've made suggestions and some criticisms which I hope SMs will take notice.

I've waited all year for this - I want it to happen, but I'm getting worn down by this whole damned thing!!!

I'm leaving the forum for tonight. I'm far too angry to continue in a rational calm manner. Hopefully by tomorrow I will have calmed down and there might, just might be some good news! :chair:

Edited by RosiePosieDanderfluff

Yeah, but I also think it's the way more than a few people are feeling at the moment. :chair:

DON'T YOU DARE PATRONIZE ME!!!!!! Sorry to say tha, but it's true.

OK, I may not be all light and fluffy like the rest of you lot. I'm not happy about the whole thing. I've made suggestions and some criticisms which I hope SMs will take notice.

I've waited all year for this - I want it to happen, but I'm getting worn down by this whole damned thing!!!

Patronize? you called me a 'kid' without even knowing the first thing about me, that is patronizing.

I'm not happy either, but i'm just trying to keep it bottled for now in an attempt to help SM make this event happen. I have sacrificed as well for this event (more than i will tell) and because of this i will do everything in my power to achieve this con happening.

I know we both want the same thing!

:chair: Right, I think tempers are getting frayed and I will apologise for that, FLM.

I didn't like the tone of your post as you didn't like mine. So, lets bury the hatchet and start again tomorrow. Should be more careful what I post in the future, especially in the heat of the moment. This has given me more stress than is really good for me.

I want to be proved wrong, I want to see SMs pull this together in 2 months. If they can do it, then kudos all round.

Night all!

:chair: Right, I think tempers are getting frayed and I will apologise for that, FLM.

I didn't like the tone of your post as you didn't like mine. So, lets bury the hatchet and start again tomorrow. Should be more careful what I post in the future, especially in the heat of the moment. This has given me more stress than is really good for me.

I want to be proved wrong, I want to see SMs pull this together in 2 months. If they can do it, then kudos all round.

Night all!

Fair enough, please accept my apology too, look forward to tomorrow as well!

SM might want to see the positive in what looks like some pretty angry and negative posting here. TBH, I don't get to these boards very often as I usually access the internet at work and most forums don't get past our firewall for some reason (including this one) but obviously I'd been checking the Ring Con UK website and having seen it lie pretty much dormant for such a long time I'd pretty much thought that the convention wasn't happening.

Tonight I'm at home and my husband isn't hogging the computer so I thought I'd have a look-see, and found this thread. And to my surprise I see SM *are* still working on things for Ring Con, but that people are clearly frustrated with the lack of activity.

But this is where the positive comes in; if people are able to get this frustrated, hacked off and angry at the state of affairs, that is because they are still PASSIONATE about LOTR. And passion is what a convention needs to run.

I know there's been a postponement once already but if it was up to me, I would suggest SM consider postponing again - although this will lead to more frustration - because it simply isn't possible to organise a convention in 2 months. I know, I've been a convention runner locally for about 14 years, and even though the events we run are small - around 100 attendees - they're still hard work. What SM say they'd like to do here is a far bigger undertaking. However, the concern is that there isn't the market for it now.

Maybe there isn't. Maybe the more practical way forward is to make the event smaller (maybe aiming at around 250 attendees), more intimate and less costly and put the emphasis on fan activity. Of course, there would still be guests (it wouldn't work without them) and there would still be all the elements we look for in an event but I also think it would be prudent to recognise that the days of the huge LOTR events are most likely behind us now... at least unless the studio finally sorts out the mess around The Hobbit!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Wy x

Ok, instead of helping us try to save the event it seems that a small group of you just want to blame us for trying to run a another show in the UK in the first place.

Yes, obviously people sign up at the forum, pay for tickets, and spend night after night here debating simply to put some blame on some people they've never met.

That's some nice view you have of your fans, there.

Next, I know that some of you went to the another show, and many of you had a good time there. But that convention didn't work either. It went bust and lots of the guests and New Line itself never got paid, so not only did the event not work but lots of people were ripped off. So it may have been good for some of you but it was far from perfect,

Ah, nevermind that people had a good time while being there? Good idea; people going to a con really only go there because they're interested in the financial reports, not for the fun...

Second, funny though how that con got so many good reviews (here, as well) even though there was someone - interestingly enough with the same horrid spelling as I've seen in some posts here - who kept spreading lies about it, claiming it would never happen and that some of the guests had even signed contracts that they would never attend the con. Guests that, miraculously, showed up anyway... Life's funny that way, innit?

and it's certainly not how we want to run a convention. Maybe some the problems we are encountering now are the same problems the FF suffered from, not enough fans wanting to pay for tickets to see these guests in a convention setting rather than at a big event such as Collectormania.

Actually, the FF suffered more from the arena charging ridiculous amounts of money only to then not devlier what was promised; it suffered from not being able to set up proper decorations because the arena threatened to set everything on fire to make sure it was fire proof; the arena doing everything it could to make sure things got as unpractical as possible for the people working there (such as moving the stunt fight due to "security reasons" and then moving it to a far more dangerous place but allowing the hobbit dancing and make-up session to be held on a crowded balcony and yet demanding that there be an opening in the crowd (fire regulations) - and for all this, said event was charged so ridiculously much that not even twice as many attendees could have saved it.

I agree that the situation afterwards was, actually, not just handled badly but rather not handled at all, which is a shame. It could have gone down with more grace.

But as for getting attendees, there was no problem.

And for those of you that want to take a chunk out of us for failing, then go for it if it makes you feel better.

Once more, perhaps some work should be done on customer relations... telling possible paying customers to take their complaints and shove them won't sell you many tickets. Or hire you the Tolkien Society.

Ah, nevermind that people had a good time while being there? Good idea; people going to a con really only go there because they're interested in the financial reports, not for the fun...

Second, funny though how that con got so many good reviews (here, as well) even though there was someone - interestingly enough with the same horrid spelling as I've seen in some posts here - who kept spreading lies about it, claiming it would never happen and that some of the guests had even signed contracts that they would never attend the con. Guests that, miraculously, showed up anyway... Life's funny that way, innit?

Showmasters don't run a consistently funded charity. Obviously if the event lost money/went bust, was a financial rip off, and pissed off everyone financing and attending it, they're not going to try to emulate that at another show.

Quote: RosiePosieDanderfluff

Right, I think tempers are getting frayed and I will apologise for that, FLM. I didn't like the tone of your post as you didn't like mine. So, lets bury the hatchet and start again tomorrow. Should be more careful what I post in the future, especially in the heat of the moment. This has given me more stress than is really good for me. I want to be proved wrong, I want to see SMs pull this together in 2 months. If they can do it, then kudos all round.

Night all!

Quote: FranksLittleMachine

Fair enough, please accept my apology too, look forward to tomorrow as well!

:wub: I've gone all fluffy now! :wub: And no, I'm not being patronising...:D:unsure:

See, I think disagreements like this - and RPD and FLM, bear with me, please...there is a point to this... :P - just go to indicate the strength of feeling about this event.

...There will now be a pause as everyone else tells me I'm talking out of my bottom...:firedevil:

I think there is interest in another show, and like it or not I think people getting rattled and angry are all part of it in the sense that some of us are feeling helpless and powerless to do anything about getting it off and running, because we want to see it happen - even if it does seem to be a futile exercise now. Okay, so the interest isn't (as yet) translating into the kind of sales that Jason would like to see, but at least there seems to be a glimmer of hope, even with the short timescale we're looking at.

I still maintain, though, that one reason for feelings running so high is that we haven't had enough information fed through to us from SM, and there's resentment about being the feeling that we were all expected to leap like mad things when we finally do get to hear something when we've had deafening silence for so long.

When all's said and done, we're all pretty much on the same side, I reckon.

Edited by yeltz-lass

Obviously if the event lost money/went bust, was a financial rip off,

Err, no. A ripoff is deliberate. A bankrupcy is not. I think any good dictionary would tell you as much...

they're not going to try to emulate that at another show.

Oh, you mean they won't actually try to lose money? Dang... so that's where TFF went wrong!

:unsure: I've gone all fluffy now! :wub:

See, I think disagreements like this - and RPD and FLM, bear with me, please...there is a point to this... :P - just go to indicate the strength of feeling about this event.

...There will now be a pause as everyone else tells me I'm talking out of my bottom...:D

I think there is interest in another show, and like it or not I think people getting rattled and angry are all part of it in the sense that some of us are feeling helpless and powerless to do anything about getting it off and running, because we want to see it happen - even if it does seem to be a futile exercise now. Okay, so the interest isn't (as yet) translating into the kind of sales that Jason would like to see, but at least there seems to be a glimmer of hope, even with the short timescale we're looking at.

I still maintain, though, that one reason for feelings running so high is that we haven't had enough information fed through to us from SM, and there's resentment about being the feeling that we were all expected to leap like mad things when we finally do get to hear something when we've had deafening silence for so long.

When all's said and done, we're all pretty much on the same side, I reckon.

Well said, YL! This is why you are my best friend! :wub::P

Rosie x - definitely signing off now....