Future of RingCon

showmasters

Davi...err, Daisy. Sure, very nice. Would like to meet him but would not buy a flight to London, hotel room and con tickets for him alone. Particularly not if JRD is the other "main" guest.

I had the displeasure of hearing him talk at the original another show in Germany, and a big part of his speach was so out of order; :D If people don't like muslims it's sorta their own problem, and I have no beef with it if they wail about it in private - or in public if they are politicians. But to use your platform as an actor, at a Lord of the Rings event, to complain that your granddaughters - who are not even born yet - could possibly some day be forced to wear a veil in public if the world continues on it's present course.... and so forth.

He's very entitled to his opinion, but in my book, he used the very worst forum to voice it in. :WINCE:

I went there to hear him speak about his experience making the films, and hopefully his love for Tolkien, but ended up hearing the joke "No, I don't have Orlando Bloom's phone number, but if I did I WOULD give it to you" seven times, plus the aforementioned, and so out of place, political speach about the fate of the western world. :huh: Again, don't get me wrong: if he doesn't like muslims, religious domination, and some of the terror born out of that fanatisicm I could totally agree with him. And I'd gladly participate in a debate about society today and the dangers facing it - like say... in a BBC themed evening. As long as it wasn't at all LOTR related. Consequently, I have avoided events that included him, so in my book he's a minus, not a plus. :unsure:

That said, I must agree with many of you that film actors do not a convention make. The costume makers, language experts, dance instructors, book experts, are the fabric that holds it together.

UK, my vote is thanks, but no thanks. :D I shall rather keep an eye on the developments in Germany and see if the "multi film" con prospect can be viable. That future could be fun too, as long as it keeps the format that another show Germany has managed so well over the years. :P

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I must agree with many of you that film actors do not a convention make. The costume makers, language experts, dance instructors, book experts, are the fabric that holds it together.

*shrugs* Depends what you're interested in. I think it needs the film actors and the costume makers and the language experts and the book experts and the make-up people, etc. Something for everyone! :unsure: I'm sorry, but I wouldn't attend if it was just the things you listed because I don't have a lot of disposable income and it wouldn't be something I'd be interested in.

Edited by yeltz-lass

*shrugs* Depends what you're interested in. I think it needs the film actors and the costume makers and the language experts and the book experts and the make-up people, etc. Something for everyone! :unsure: I'm sorry, but I wouldn't attend if it was just the things you listed because I don't have a lot of disposable income and it wouldn't be something I'd be interested in.

Same here - it needs to be a very diverse range of events to appeal to the wide range of people who may well be attending.

Remember not everyone will be familiar with the books and may have only read them either before, during or after the Trilogy; their knowledge/love of all things Tolkein may not be as committed as some of the other attendees. Some people may not have even read the books, and have just seen the films but want to support the event and have a good time with friends and have fun.

So yes, a diverse programme is essential; and not just academically driven either.

OK, you can all bugger off and ignore me again now... :D

Edited by RosiePosieDanderfluff

...it needs to be a very diverse range of events to appeal to the wide range of people who may well be attending. Remember not everyone will be familiar with the books and may have only read them either before, during or after the Trilogy; their knowledge/love of all things Tolkein may not be as committed as some of the other attendees. Some people may not have even read the books, and have just seen the films but want to support the event and have a good time with friends and have fun. So yes, a diverse programme is essential; and not just academically driven either.

And thereby attracting in a lot more attendees, if you ask me! :unsure:

...it needs to be a very diverse range of events to appeal to the wide range of people who may well be attending. Remember not everyone will be familiar with the books and may have only read them either before, during or after the Trilogy; their knowledge/love of all things Tolkein may not be as committed as some of the other attendees. Some people may not have even read the books, and have just seen the films but want to support the event and have a good time with friends and have fun. So yes, a diverse programme is essential; and not just academically driven either.

And thereby attracting in a lot more attendees, if you ask me! :unsure:

EXACTLY!!! :D

To Rosie Posie:

Ooo! For me! :D

Because if some people attend because they're interested in one particular aspect, and another one piques their interest during the weekend/whatever, then it's win/win all round! :unsure:

Absolutely!! Of course it may even encourage people to read the books who have felt it too daunting (like jael001) or perhaps feel inspired to try a spot of costuming.

Same here - it needs to be a very diverse range of events to appeal to the wide range of people who may well be attending.

Exactly what I'm saying. Actors alone don't cut it for an event like this. A bit of everything is needed to make a good convention and make everyone happy.

Sorry if you girls thought I meant that they didn't need to be their at all. They are the spice on the meat and po-ta-toes which is the professors story. But you will never make a proper meal of it if you forget where the story came from to begin with (and no, I'm not a member of the British Tolkien Society :D )

Exactly what I'm saying. Actors alone don't cut it for an event like this. A bit of everything is needed to make a good convention and make everyone happy.

Sorry if you girls thought I meant that they didn't need to be their at all. They are the spice on the meat and po-ta-toes which is the professors story. But you will never make a proper meal of it if you forget where the story came from to begin with (and no, I'm not a member of the British Tolkien Society :P )

No problem, Kumo. :D In fact, you know, I think we and you are definitely singing from the same hymn sheet here! :D

I'm sure the costumers are happy, but what about talks/discussion panels revolving around the actual books themselves? Yes it would be nice to get some of the 'backroom' boys and girls on board, but surely this event isn't just about the films, but the books themselves too. I've not read LOTR or The Hobbit for about 25-26 years, but it would be nice to focus not just on the films. Why haven't The Tolkein Society been approached to take part in this much heralded first UK another show?

Rosie

YES!! Someone to back me up with The Tolkien Society - I feel exactly the same as you on this.

I've been having a think about this and this is my theory....A lot of people have moved on from LOTR fandom into other fandoms and are no longer prepared to pay this sort of money to go to these conventions anymore, hence another show Germany having to diversify into other fandoms to attract people.

Also, having another show UK and another show Germany so close together is just silly I think. There simply aren't enough people to go to both I think. If another show Germany, a well-established and well-thought of convention, can't attract enough punters, then to be honest, what hope has another show UK got? Especially when the die-hard fans will I think prefer to go to the more established event.

If this event had been promoted better from the beginning, guests had been announced little by little, even smaller guests, and more interest drummed up, then maybe it would have a chance at being a success, but I think with the way things have gone on, no news etc, and this being such a late date now, that people have lost confidence in the event, have booked for Germany or have decided not to bother at all.

It's a real shame, but business-wise this has been very badly handled I think. Sorry :D

I've been having a think about this and this is my theory....A lot of people have moved on from LOTR fandom into other fandoms and are no longer prepared to pay this sort of money to go to these conventions anymore, hence another show Germany having to diversify into other fandoms to attract people.

Also, having another show UK and another show Germany so close together is just silly I think. There simply aren't enough people to go to both I think. If another show Germany, a well-established and well-thought of convention, can't attract enough punters, then to be honest, what hope has another show UK got? Especially when the die-hard fans will I think prefer to go to the more established event.

If this event had been promoted better from the beginning, guests had been announced little by little, even smaller guests, and more interest drummed up, then maybe it would have a chance at being a success, but I think with the way things have gone on, no news etc, and this being such a late date now, that people have lost confidence in the event, have booked for Germany or have decided not to bother at all.

It's a real shame, but business-wise this has been very badly handled I think. Sorry :D

I have to disagree with the closeness of these two events being a bad thing. I am a massive LOTR fan & have been to all the UK LOTR fan events but I could certainly not afford flights, hotel, etc. to go to Germany so having the UK event is excellent. :D

This event can attract enough people in the UK I think so long as there is enough advertising. Perhaps SM could confirm the guests then place an ad in a national newspaper like they did for LFCC. I know it is expensive but you would be spreading the word & generating more interest. It's like a certain recent huge Star Wars event, I only went because I saw it advertised in the paper I didn't intentionally trawl websites looking for Star Wars cons.

Also I appreciate that you are not going, I think we all get that, so there's no need to continue your negative posts. The point of this forum is not to REPEATEDLY moan about SM. They have accepted their shortcomings in their original post & are simply asking for people to register their interest in booking - nothing more!

Ok, my ten pence worth:

I fully understand that SM's are having difficulty getting actors over for this. I think that David Wenham & JRD are great guests, though it's frustrating that they've done an event before, and both of them fairly recently.

Has anyone thought about the fact that Alan Lee and John Howe haven't even apparently been approached about this?!!! Come on show of hands who wouldn't love to meet them?!!!

What about other people involved in the technical or art side if things, and as previously mentioned why on earth have the Tolkien Society not been approached for involvement?

I may be wrong, and I'm happy to step back if Showmasters say that they're going to approach some more people but at this point in time it's just not enough.

And asking if there is still enough love in the Lord of the Rings fan event is not good, not when you've left the fans hanging for this long and they're beggining to lose interest. That's really not their fault.

Obviously David and John are not the only guests we are working on,

The Showmasters Team

IN SUMMARY: What we need to know - if we add David Wenham and John Rhys Davies, then will those of you out there who haven't yet booked do so?

Hopefully that sets your mind at ease regarding other potential guests. I agree, of course, that Alan Lee & John Howe should be invited as well as Tolkien Society members but I think they require less notice than bigger stars which is hopefully why they haven't been informed just yet. :D

Also I appreciate that you are not going, I think we all get that, so there's no need to continue your negative posts. The point of this forum is not to REPEATEDLY moan about SM. They have accepted their shortcomings in their original post & are simply asking for people to register their interest in booking - nothing more!

Excuse me? Surely everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if they aren't the same as yours.

And actually, for your information, I bought a silver ticket for this back in February when the event was announced, so I think I have as much of a right to discuss this event as anyone, especially since I don't think it wont be worth the money I paid for it for the 2 actors they're discussing.

I'd actually completely forgotten that I'd bought the ticket, since it was so long ago, I'm not sure what possessed me to buy it so early, but I was checking my emails last night and found the confirmation and I have paid out £150-whatever it was to go to this event.

I would say that in my opinon that since i have a silver pass i would expect there to be between 15 and 20 guests at least and five big names of which 2 would be new signers to most of us...

That would be appealing but we have 3 guests a few months before and no sign of any further guests so far... thats of course if we the fans agree John and Daisy would bring us.

TBH the thrill for me is the organisers wetting my apetite leading up to the event and me not having to decide whether it gets cancelled or not. Thats really upsetting and very disappointing... I understand you need feedback but to ask should you cancel the event takes the thrill for me...

Shame i have already bought a ticket but if you get the 15-20 i would be overjoyed... if this is a flop it would perhaps stop me from attending other conventions.

Sorry if this is harsh but i mean it as constructive and not even criticism, more of this is how i'm feeling at the moment and really you need to make a decision and come back to all of the 70 that have paid for a ticket asap with something tangible!

Thanks

Veasse x

Those 2 are great guests but like whats been said before they have been to previous signings that I have been to, we need people like Sarah Mcleod, Karl Urban, Peter Tait, even small names that appeared in the films like Elizabeth Moody, Ian Mune, John Bach etc. Big names like Ian Holm, Ian Mckellen etc probs wouldnt ever go to an event as alot of the big names dont do signings. All im saying is that its quite an expensive event to get into and with the same guests being announced, not many people are gonne pay for the tickets! The reason I havent brought a ticket yet is becasue I am waiting for some people that I havnt met before, otherwise its a waste of money ( Although you have announced 3 great names )!!

I would say that in my opinon that since i have a silver pass i would expect there to be between 15 and 20 guests at least and five big names of which 2 would be new signers to most of us...

If you were expecting 15-20 guests from the film then you would have been disappointed. These events are only ever about 4-6 guests and of course they need not have been from the film.

I am one of the 70 who have ticket but do not expect this event to take place as the numbers are clearly too low.

I'm sure the costumers are happy, but what about talks/discussion panels revolving around the actual books themselves? Yes it would be nice to get some of the 'backroom' boys and girls on board, but surely this event isn't just about the films, but the books themselves too. I've not read LOTR or The Hobbit for about 25-26 years, but it would be nice to focus not just on the films. Why haven't The Tolkein Society been approached to take part in this much heralded first UK another show?

Rosie

YES!! Someone to back me up with The Tolkien Society - I feel exactly the same as you on this.

Thirding The Tolkien Society, Rosie and BrandinsChick. :smile:

• Moderators

Can I just ask why you expected there to be that many guests? I'm not quite sure what you're basing that expectation on? :smile:

Having got my tickets when another show was first announced I desperately want it to go ahead not only cos of meeting Andy :smile: but because it is a LOTR con. David wenham is a great guest and I reckon someone who wouldn't do many conventions so if he's gonna be on board I'm sure that will encourage more people to come and the events planned like the Hobbit dancing sound really fun but the main thing for me is the guests cos I've gone to Collectormanias in tha past and sometimes just met a couple of people cos they're from LOTR and I thought this convention would be a chance to meet a lot of people from the LOTR films plus the artists, writers etc at one convention so it would be great if more people eg Billy Boyd, Miranda Otto, Phillipa Boyens, Alan Lee, and Dom :jason: as we don't all get to go to the London con and I think it would be better to get people from the films cos I'd rather know who I was meeting as the films are what have made LOTR popular again in the past few years (no disrespect to the Tolkien society) but I wouldn't want it to be like a book club!!!! :P But thanx for the update Showmasters, I really hope that another show goes ahead and Faramir - my mums so pleased!!!!!!!!!!! :chair:

:smile: Interesting question, actually, David.

Not sure what I was expecting, personally. I suppose I assumed another show was going to be like an SM event, but with the added bonuses (bonusii?) of workshops and t'ing. :jason:

Noddy's comment that there are usually about 4-6 guests from various aspects of the fandom at these events was helpful, I thought - because if that's the kind of number SM are aiming for, we're already a good way there...which isn't meant to **** off anyone who doesn't want the event to be totally aimed at fans of the film, just that it's possibly going to be easier (I assume) to attract guests from other fields in the time left available.

Or maybe I'm just babbling and need another coffee... :chair: