A thought about no photos allowed...

BN7

fair enough so i assume when i paid £20 to get dom's autograpth that also included photos? No it didn't, if i wanted photos than i purchase photos with the man! Stop expecting more than you pay for!

Grawlix, before i repsond to your point, can i ask did you pay for an autograph at LFCC? if yes than surely that means that YOU see them as different because you wouldn't pay me �20 to get my autograph!

Now who's being personal?!?!?! :D

Please I wasn’t being personal.

I was merely inferring that some here seem to be putting them on special pedestals because they are ‘celebrities’.

Why do the rules suddenly change if they’ve been in a film?. I’m sure you would find most of the British public would happily sit and have their picture taken for two days in exchange for tens of thousands of pounds.

If we can do it, why can’t they?, aren’t we the same after all?.

I do get what you mean and trust me, I personally don't put them on a pedestal. I do like meeting actors from shows I like but hate the whole love celebritary culture - I do not hang on everything they do :D

Here is a test to all those who don't care, sit in a chair and get a friend to take flash photo's of you every few seconds for 6/7 hours for 2 days and see how you feel after that

If they gave me tens of thousands of pounds for doing it - I’d do it with a smile, and probably dance to the bank on Monday. :thumbup:

That's assuming of course that they get "tens of thousands of pounds" for doing it, a comment you've made twice now, and which is something you are guessing at and don't actually know.

If it's promotional work on behalf of the show they are on they might not even get paid anything special, it may be in their contracts that they have to engage in a certain amount of promo's to promoe the show.

Those were my thoughts.

A star like Robert Englund with not much going on at the moment is more likely to get a fee than say any of the Heroes cast who might find themselves tied into events like this as part of their contract to promote their current work.

This is speculation on my part of course :P

*edit* sorry, just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, I wanted it to go in the "who gets the gravy" thread. Sorry!

Edited by BN7

Over the weekend the "No Photos" rule only seemed applied to the Bigger stars and the signs were only behind the heads of the Heroes Guests, I didn't see any signs behind Patrick or Dominic, This could be because they had just finished a 5 day tour through Munich, Paris and London, whenever Adrian wasn't signing or having photos taken he had some rather large glasses on. the lighting in there has already been criticized for how dim it was and he still felt the need to wear sunglasses. and as one of the guys sitting with those guests has already posted, towards the end they said themselves dont worry about no photo's so I'm sure it was the guests who decided weather or not to allow it and after seeing Adrian wearing glasses I'm sure he had a valid reason.

Perhaps if this was the case a sign saying "no flash photography" would have been better, again if this was the case.

although Robert Englund had a sign up saying no "posed" photos he still too the opportunity to pose with his hand in a claw shape whenever he saw a camera. so who put that sign up? if Robert was OK with posing did sm enforce the no photos rule due to him having a photoshoot?

If there is anyone from SM reading please let us know who's decision is it to allow photos yours or the guests or is it a culmination of both of you. i can understand you don't want the guests giving free photo opportunities if you are selling photo ops, also can you answer why the guests chose "No Photos" was it because of their eye strain or again did you deside you wanted to capitalise on their photo sessions?

• Moderators

although Robert Englund had a sign up saying no "posed" photos he still too the opportunity to pose with his hand in a claw shape whenever he saw a camera. so who put that sign up? if Robert was OK with posing did sm enforce the no photos rule due to him having a photoshoot?

That would be no posed photos with people, and there were plenty that he didn't have them with.

That would be no posed photos with people, and there were plenty that he didn't have them with.

As I was queuing 3 people had posed photos with him. I was going to ask myself but my girlfriend ran off with the camera.

[WHISPER] and I was scared to ask [/WHISPER]

Well there's a difference between your queuing time, and me managing the queue all day lol so I can honestly say that it wasn't a huge amount of people that got them.

So since you are part of the team can you tell me who's decision it is to allow or not allow photos?

I totally understand if you slow the queue but my plan for this event was to have me get a shot of my girlfriend as she gets her autograph's and she would take a photo of me as i get mine. I feel confident that as this was my 1st event i had made prior plans so that i did not slow down queues or get in anyone's way, I don't want to be tarnished with the same brush that describes the people with VQT 1200+ waiting by Hayden's queue when they were only queueing up to ticket 500, just for future reference what do i have to bare in mind regarding these rules. why are they in place is it for teh actors or for financial/time constraints.

• Moderators

It has been stated elsewhere - not quite sure where - that some guests have chosen to not allow photos themselves (apparently) because they feel it's unfair on those who are 'paying' for the shoots .. or something along those lines.

And I believe Robert was one of those, but I'm only going on what I read elsewhere. I'll try to find where it was.

*edit*

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1109529

^^ that's it.

Edited by DavidB

It has been stated elsewhere - not quite sure where - that some guests have chosen to not allow photos themselves (apparently) because they feel it's unfair on those who are 'paying' for the shoots .. or something along those lines.

And I believe Robert was one of those, but I'm only going on what I read elsewhere. I'll try to find where it was.

*edit*

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....t&p=1109529

^^ that's it.

Thanks for the link to that thread I skipped that one compleately, Its pretty much everything I wanted to know (why we weren't allowed). Its good reading and goes hand in hand with what i though was up and that was, they were knackered.

tens of thousands is a stupid estimation to make. The majority of the money goes to the show! That's why I've been to conventions before where the guests have signed for free even though they were supposed to be charging!

And for the Heroes guests - photos would be pointless, and not fair on the people who paid for the photoshoots if some people paid an extra £15 to get a photo with them, and then another 20 for autographs, only for someone to get both for £20?

And people do get tired, and cranky. Hayden got through over 1000 autographs - imagine every one of those people wanted a photo of her.

Edited by JennJenn

It's not fair on the people who paid for the photoshoots if some people paid an extra £15 to get a photo with them, and then another 20 for autographs, only for someone to get both for £20?

The photoshoots I had with them were completely different to photos of a signing. I paid for my photoshoot because i wanted a "professional" picture of me with the guest, So that it is good enough quality to get signed and mount on my wall at home. the reason i wanted a signing photo, (or in my case I was going to take a pic of my girlfriend getting her items signed and vice versa, so as not to hold up the queue) is so I could remember that part of the day. It lasts about 5 seconds 15-20 if your lucky. the reason I take a photo is to help that memory last for my lifetime.

Its not about being fair the 2 different things are 2 different things, I can understand "No Posed Photo's" as that is the same but getting a photo of a guest signing or you partner standing with the guest who is signing is neither the same setop nor is it of teh same quality of the professional shots.

Edited by Deap

• Moderators

CELEBS should know what is going to happen when they go to a con,i think its to make more money from the photoshoots,if i pay £20 for an auto which is rediculous in the first place i want a photo if it says no photos then i wont bother

It's not 'ridiculous' when there's a hell of a lot of costs to cover, and obviously being a business it's nice to get a bit of profit too.

There are plenty of people that don't like paying for autographs, so they don't go to events like these and instead do TTM or theatres etc. That's perfectly fine, but if Showmasters are paying god knows what out for these events I think £20 for an authentic in-person autograph is perfectly respectable - especially compared to what dealers charge etc.

And really, 'CELEBS' don't know every single thing about everything unfortunately.

There are plenty of people that don't like paying for autographs, so they don't go to events like these and instead do TTM or theatres etc. That's perfectly fine, but if Showmasters are paying god knows what out for these events I think £20 for an authentic in-person autograph is perfectly respectable - especially compared to what dealers charge etc.

Agreed, if you don't like paying £20 for a signature then do some more research and find out where they will be in person, I worked my *rse off on-line to find here the cast would be as part of their world tour and we met them outside of the This Morning studio in london on Saturday. Milo and Adrian weren't asking for anything for a signature and even thanked me for buying the DVD.

And it is perfectly acceptable for show masters to want to make money. they aren't a charity they are a business. the problem I have seen however is when you pay £20 to join a cash flow production line and the guest just signs. I didn't think that was what I was paying for, I expected for the guest to at least look at me so i can say thankyou, Jack Coleman even tried to steal my pen!!!

I think a couple of changes need to be made on showmasters behalf so that next year they have plans as to how many people "can" get through and put some limitations on handing out tickets 1000 people was too much for Hayden to do between the hours of 10am-5pm, so next year make limitations of say 750 and everyone gets 30-60seconds and if you are behind quota after an hour, drop the time to catch up. as for no photos, specify no posed photos or no flash photos or only photos whilst you are queuing or if a partner is taking the photo. the data from this year needs to be processed and a guide for the guys working teh desks needs to be produced.

know your limits SM plese, it just makes it fairer for everyone.

Edited by Deap

Hmm, someone suggest that Anthony Daniels didn't give a crap about his autograph? Have you been to his site recently? Heck just to get him to a show you have to provide his people (or him) with expected footfall, marketing budgets etc etc etc.. And as for his autograph? he has a section on his site busting fraudulent sigs on Ebay. He seems to be one of those that gives a flying F about his reputation to the collector. Hence all the posts about well dodgy autographs.

Perhaps a look at http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/22107/ might help convention goer and 'celeb'. It's former Star Trek member Wil Wheatons guide to attending conventions. He seems quite fan friendly (and elsewhere not a great fan of William F*(%£*g Shatner) and if SM got him over, he might, given half a chance, show the rest we like to grouch about (like William F&$(£&$g Shatner) how to get the money in, and make the fans happy, which is one of the reasons to do these things..