When is an Autograph, an Autograph?

riversidejon

Dear Fans, Autograph Traders and well everybody.

When I have had autographs in the past it has always been the full name of the star on the picture, which I have always considered as being an official "Autograph", for which I have paid £10-25 pounds for. I went and got an Autograph from Hayden ;) , who just wrote I think "Hayden" on mine, and from this forum I have seen examples of her sig which have kisses and her full name on them. :(

When you look on autograph sites and some webpages, the stars autographs is always the full name, for that is their "Autograph" unique to them, a trade mark and recognised as being from them.

If I went to purchase someones Autograph, I would not buy one with just the first name or an abreviation of the name, for it would look to me as a bit dodgy. Granted if a picture of that autograph being signed, is presented with the Autograph then thats different, however, with "no photos" being allowed at the signings how could I prove that I did not just "fake it" and that it really did come from the star not me. At the moment I am keeping all my autos, but several years down the road I may want to sell them.

I went late in the day to Hayden around 4pm, and the signing was over quicker than I could blink and after reading other comments about Haydens queue and the others which stated that she was tired(understandably with the number of people), I do feel though, that no matter how tired the stars are, they have a job/responsability to the fans and should commit themselves like a marathon runner would, taking no shortcuts, especially when we are paying £20 for an "Autograph".

So to finally get to the point, the question I would like to have answered is, what constitues as being a ligitimate Autograph, does a part of an actors name count as being a ligitimate autograph, are there rules etc. :WINCE:

Discuss.....

If the actor signs it its an autograph! Doesn't matter whether it doesn't say their full name. I have various autographs from John Barrowman and sometimes he signs his full name and sometime when he's tired he signs "J Barrowman". I also have an autograph from indie actress Liili Taylor and she just signs "LT". Hyden doesn't need to sign her full name for it to be a "genuine" autograph.

If the actor signs it its an autograph! Doesn't matter whether it doesn't say their full name. I have various autographs from John Barrowman and sometimes he signs his full name and sometime when he's tired he signs "J Barrowman". I also have an autograph from indie actress Liili Taylor and she just signs "LT". Hyden doesn't need to sign her full name for it to be a "genuine" autograph.

Brad Pitt is the same. He normally only signs BP.

As for Hayden I was one of the first few so got the full name and kisses etc.

Dear Fans, Autograph Traders and well everybody.

When I have had autographs in the past it has always been the full name of the star on the picture, which I have always considered as being an official "Autograph", for which I have paid £10-25 pounds for. I went and got an Autograph from Hayden :wub: , who just wrote I think "Hayden" on mine, and from this forum I have seen examples of her sig which have kisses and her full name on them. :o

When you look on autograph sites and some webpages, the stars autographs is always the full name, for that is their "Autograph" unique to them, a trade mark and recognised as being from them.

If I went to purchase someones Autograph, I would not buy one with just the first name or an abreviation of the name, for it would look to me as a bit dodgy. Granted if a picture of that autograph being signed, is presented with the Autograph then thats different, however, with "no photos" being allowed at the signings how could I prove that I did not just "fake it" and that it really did come from the star not me. At the moment I am keeping all my autos, but several years down the road I may want to sell them.

I went late in the day to Hayden around 4pm, and the signing was over quicker than I could blink and after reading other comments about Haydens queue and the others which stated that she was tired(understandably with the number of people), I do feel though, that no matter how tired the stars are, they have a job/responsability to the fans and should commit themselves like a marathon runner would, taking no shortcuts, especially when we are paying £20 for an "Autograph".

So to finally get to the point, the question I would like to have answered is, what constitues as being a ligitimate Autograph, does a part of an actors name count as being a ligitimate autograph, are there rules etc. :unsure:

Discuss.....

That like what I said in the other thread, which was what would people pay more money for, an autograph which just consisted of her first name, or one that consisted of her first and last name.

Would be nice to see what a dealer has to say on this.

:lol:

LLAP :borg:

Freema Ageyman signs "Freema x" - she hasn't signed her surname on any of the autographs I've seen and that doesn't affect the price or the quality of the autograph.

If an item is signed by an actor whether its their first name, initials or an unintelligible squiggle its an autograph.

Freema Ageyman signs "Freema x" - she hasn't signed her surname on any of the autographs I've seen and that doesn't affect the price or the quality of the autograph.

If an item is signed by an actor whether its their first name, initials or an unintelligible squiggle its an autograph.

You really can't count people who never sign there surname when doing autos, cause Hayden did do surnames in the morning, then stopped. If she had never done some autos with her surname on and other without then I don' think there would be as many people talking negetavly about her on here, as there are :borg:

:lol:

LLAP :unsure:

:lol: I define an autograph as the actors signature and I interprete a signature as whatever they would sign official documentation with.

Some of the actors have their official documentation signature and then an autograph signature. They don't necessarily have to be the same. The way I see it is that they are all autographs but in the interest of sales some of those will sell better than others ie a full name would be more desirable that initials.

Really people should be thankful they even got haydens first name.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the terrible scrawl you get from Orlando Bloom. A rather unlegible 'OB'

A friend of mine went to see his play on Friday and did indeed manage to get the "OB" scrawled on her programme - not the greatest, but it was free, and when you consider there were dealers at LFCC selling the exact same scribble for £90.00...

I got Hayden's auto at the London Eye and she signed "Hayd Patt"!

I look at it like this. If I was Hayden's best friend and she sent me a birthday card signed with her first name only and I then decided to cash in by selling the card, the value wouldn't be any less because it's only her first name. It's not like we pay per letter.

IMO as someone who doesn't want to sell the autograph I received, it doesn't matter what it says, I saw Hayden, saw her sign it and got it on a lovely photograph, the same with my Milo one.

If you wanted to sell it on, then yes, I think you would want her whole signature as it is on other "for sale" autographs.

Everyone is entitled to do what they wish, but I think the only people who would complain about the shortening of her signature are the people who are looking to make money by selling it, not the genuine fans who just wanted to meet her and have come away with a wonderful souvenir that they know is real and they will cherish.

Just my thoughts.

IMO as someone who doesn't want to sell the autograph I received, it doesn't matter what it says, I saw Hayden, saw her sign it and got it on a lovely photograph, the same with my Milo one.

If you wanted to sell it on, then yes, I think you would want her whole signature as it is on other "for sale" autographs.

Everyone is entitled to do what they wish, but I think the only people who would complain about the shortening of her signature are the people who are looking to make money by selling it, not the genuine fans who just wanted to meet her and have come away with a wonderful souvenir that they know is real and they will cherish.

Just my thoughts.

But if your a genuine fan why should you be deprived of something another fan has received. Some fans travelled from America/Europe just to see the Heroes Guest, and to know another fan got a better sig (as some may see it) i.e. her full name, when they didn't isn't really fair.

I don't sell my autos on, though have got rid of one or two extras I have had, in an auction where the money was going to charity, even so, I would be miffed as a fan if I paid the same as everyone else and didn't get the same for my money as them...

You can't make assumtions about people complaining about the shortened sig they are the people who are looking to make money off her autograph. If you think about it, (especially from reading the posts on here) from what you have said above, that would me a bloody lot of people as there are a bloody lot of people on this forum complaining about her sig, don't think so some how

;)

Edited by zebredy

Just my thoughts.

But if your a genuine fan why should you be deprived of something another fan has received. Some fans travelled from America/Europe just to see the Heroes Guest, and to know another fan got a better sig (as some may see it) i.e. her full name, when they didn't isn't really fair.

I don't sell my autos on, though have got rid of one or two extras I have had, in an auction where the money was going to charity, even so, I would be miffed as a fan if I paid the same as everyone else and didn't get the same for my money as them...

You can't make assumtions about people complaining about the shortened sig they are the people who are looking to make money off her autograph. If you think about it, (especially from reading the posts on here) from what you have said above, that would me a bloody lot of people as there are a bloody lot of people on this forum complaining about her sig, don't think so some how

:hathor:

LLAP ;)

OK fair enough, I am sorry to make assumptions, I was just speaking as my thoughts saw things and I guess cos I kept seeing "if you tried to sell it on", I assumed a lot of people were wanted to do that and just looking to make something. I guess everyone has different opinions and different thoughts. As someone who only got her first name, I don't feel in anyway like I am missing out from someone who got her full name, I am just grateful I got to get anything as if she was doing full names still, I probably wouldn't have.

As I say, just my opinion and I don't feel cheated or like I am missing out on anything. I will learn to get there earlier next time or get a gold pass so I can hope for a personalisation but if I didn't get one, again, I wouldn't be too upset.

Milo did random signatures too - some he just put "Milo V" whereas others got his full surname (my friend did, but then she had a large poster to fill up! Maybe that was the logic he used!). Now I would have loved to have had his full name, and it is kind of annoying that some people got that and others didn't but oh well - if that's the way he signs, that's the way he signs. I can just about control my jealousy (just about ;))

Just my thoughts.

:hathor:

OK fair enough, I am sorry to make assumptions, I was just speaking as my thoughts saw things and I guess cos I kept seeing "if you tried to sell it on", I assumed a lot of people were wanted to do that and just looking to make something. I guess everyone has different opinions and different thoughts. As someone who only got her first name, I don't feel in anyway like I am missing out from someone who got her full name, I am just grateful I got to get anything as if she was doing full names still, I probably wouldn't have.

As I say, just my opinion and I don't feel cheated or like I am missing out on anything. I will learn to get there earlier next time or get a gold pass so I can hope for a personalisation but if I didn't get one, again, I wouldn't be too upset.

Thats ok, I just hope I didn't sound like I was having a go at anyone, cause I didn't mean to if I was.

;)

Edited by zebredy

Thats ok, I just hope I didn't sound like I was having a go at anyone, cause I didn't mean to if I was.

;)

I didn't meant to sound as if I was having a go either - I think everyone just has different opinions and feel strongly about them - nothing wrong with that :borg:

I was just looking over ebay to see if people have put there autos up on there and yep some one has put her sig up for £50 and its only her frist name so it dose not matter full or not its worth money.

What a surprise!!! :dance:

I was just looking over ebay to see if people have put there autos up on there and yep some one has put her sig up for £50 and its only her frist name so it dose not matter full or not its worth money.

What a surprise!!! :borg:

I'm sure some mug out there will pay for it (though I sure hope not)

;)

An autograph to me is either the full name or first initial and surname. It doesn't take long to sign your name and the stars pretty much know what to expect when they appear at a convention anyway. So they should give the fans a decent signature. I would not consider initials as a proper signature but if it was free then i wouldn't be complaining :) If i had paid for it and they signed as initials, i would ask for my money back because they can't possibly be so pushed for time that they can't at least sign their last name and their first initial.

Interesting debate, ^_^

An example.

Three people go to an event and at various times during the day have a picture signed by a celeb, when they meet up at the end of the day something seems strange, each of the pictures have different signatures on, as follows:

Autograph 1) Just the first name

Autograph 2) The full name

Autograph 3) something strange written, i.e. like a Doctors signature

The three people paid eg £15-20 each for these, but they are all different so is it really an autograph you are getting or are you just paying for someone famous to write something on a picture of themselves. :P

It brings us back to the question what is an Autograph meant to be, a signature we use for a bank, credit cards, all have to be the same to identify who we are, the banks are not inclined to accept anything different, so I dont really see why it would be different for an autograph, when money is exchange.

Someone wrote if it is supposed to be the same all the time, then the signers might as well just have a stamp or something.???

You would not pay £3 for 1 sandwich, when the person in front had 2 sandwiches for the same price (bargain) you would want the same thing as described and therefore, to me if the main autograph (excludes personalized and requests if granted) changes from time to time, then this changes what it is you are in effect purchasing.

All in the detail, what is the first thing that you think of when I say eample the word "Fly". We all have various translations pop into our heads, some the bug, some to actually fly, others trouser fly, I guess it will always be the same with the word Autograph.

.... :D

Well thats enough moaning for now. :P:thumbup: