A message for the complainers

dufresne

Have you noticed how people who complain because they didn't get what they wanted, when they wanted, how they wanted. This is ShowMasters - not Burger King :no:

Things are done the way they are for a reason - and the vast majority of the time, they work fantastically well. The event was busy - whatcha gonna do ? If you want the big guests, you have to put up with this kind of thing.

Unfortunately (or not) the popularity of Heroes seemed to bring in scores of SM (if not con) virgins, who's lack of understanding of the system seemed to cause issues along the way. Like the group who wouldn't move from Hayden's area in case they missed her - even though they were a few hundred away from their VT number :P

We really have enough threads now saying that it was a dark, badly laid out hall, or that the food was expensive, or it was packed - let's agree to agree on all that type of stuff. Most of the other stuff is just the toys being thrown out of the pram because people want more than they can reasonably expect, or didn't persue what they wanted in the appropriate manner.

The photoshoots are JUST that - click, move, click, move, click, move ..... anyone going in expecting chats, hugs or any sort of "quality time" will always be disappointed - and that is PERFECTLY REASONABLE. take a bit of responsibility for your actions people !

Wanting the on the day early birds admitted after pre-paid early birds (which you just happen to have) is an unreasonable request.

Complaining that you didn't meet Milo, but someone with a gold pass got their friend a lower VQT and they met him ? Unreasonable.

Screaming generally how someone you don't know got something you awanted ... by whatever means .... is unreasonable !

and expecting anything more than a photo from a photoshoot, or an autograph from a signing is .... guess what .... unreasonable B)

Having said that, the possible improvements we all posted after last years show were ignored.

Some tables at which to re-gather your freshly signed item(s) ? - NO!

Somewhere to sit other than the talk area ? - NO

Reasonably priced food of better quality ? - erm no !

I can't find that thread from last year just now, but these were some of the suggestions made. There certainly seemed to be enough room to provide such things ....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I didn't really have any big complaints like some people on here, just there were a few things that I (and others noticed) that made me think, hang on have SMs really been doing events this long. There were quite a few kinks that needed to be ironed out, and I thought have done events as long as they have they should ironed out most of these kinks.

It felt to me like going to an event that was run by someone who was running there second ever event or something.

I got all the autos I wanted, found some Enterprise cards, (40th anniversary ones) which were only £1 so got a few of them, got some mags for 50p to help me complete my SFX collection (onl;y need a few more :clap: ) and met some friends, and also saw LOTNA (sci-fi group), a friendly bunch of people, and took some pictures with a car and some Klingons. So over all I had a good time.

But talks were not to good, they could have been better, and I would have thought by now that SM's could have improved on them not actually made them worse then last years talks, and the fact that some people were not informed about Torri cancelling (though yes it was last minute) was annoying as I over heard someoen mentioning this, and it was only after I enquired with a pit boss (higher up crew member) that other crew members finally got informed about this. Poor management if you ask me.

Some complaints on here do seem a little OTT but actually some are reasonable, this is the worst LFACC I have ever been to, and I have been to them all.

;)

LLAP :thumbup:

Special thanks to the cosplay booth people for thinking about putting food and drinks at the disposal of the costumed people (not that I could drink or eat while in costume, but nice thought!!)...

It's true that some sitting areas would be neat (my legs are all crampy, still and my lower back is threatening to sue me)....

I've been to conventions far worse than this one, believe me!

I didn't go to the show with the sole purpose of getting Heroes autographs but I still went home very disappointed and full of complaints. So yes, some will vent anger because they didn't get certain autographs but people will also vent anger because the show was just plain bad, simple as that.

I'll be posting my thoughts in the appropiate thread in a jiff, but just thought I'd let you know it's not just those who went home empty handed who are disappointed and upset with the show, although I quite agree people shouldn't rip into SM just for that. A balanced argument is always best :)

I agree, some peoples complaints are unreasonable and they are moaning cos they didn't get a smile from their favoured guest (get over it people!) but I do think way too much was asked from the guests and they were put under too much pressure to do too much. Yes all I expected from a photo shoot was a photo, but Milo was saying after how the constast flashing was awful for so long and again yes they signed up to do photo sessions, but I think everyone was under the impression there would be limited numbers and a reasonable time to do it in, not everyone grab what they can even though the poor buggers have been standing there for an hour and a half with constant flashing in their eyes and people not even saying thank you and then moaning they were greated with hugs & kisses from the stars!

Again people are moaning Hayden didn't show them love but all she was doing was trying her best to get all 1250 autographs signed which she did do and she should be applauded for that, not moaned about. Again if only 500 autographs were sold, she may have chatted more, but her priority was to give everyone something and good on her for delivering.

I think some people expected to come away having made friends with guests, but really, it's never gonna happen! You paid for an autograph and a photo and if that's what you got - great, if you got chat / a smile etc, even better.

• Moderators

It's a tricky situation really.

Stuff like the lighting etc was just as disappointed for the organisers and those working there as it was for the attendees, so I think EVERYONE is hoping to return to the other venue.

Other things like guests signing too fast, or signing too slow, or not smiling at you etc is a matter of personal taste, and you'll never please everyone.

At the end of the day it is an autograph signing event, and that's something we have to try and remember. It's ££ per autograph - not per smile/hug/chat. Yes, it's really great when you get the chance to have something extra with a guest, but realistically it's not going to happen with every one.

I worked with Christopher Malcolm from Star Wars on the Saturday - it was his first signing, and many people got posters signed etc. Some chatted to him, some simply had an autograph then walked away even though he wasn't busy and probably could have talked for ages. That simply shows that some don't even WANT that 'experience' with a guest.

Some suggestions/improvements definitely could be implemented at future events, but there are other things that could be changed and annoy as many people as they'd please.

Do you take longer to sign to give people a chat, then have more miss out at the end of the day? Or do you sign faster, get through everyone, but leave some disappointed at their 'experience'? Who knows. I personally think giving something to everyone is the best way - after all, you get what you pay for, and that's an autograph.

Edited by DavidB

I agree as well with some of the parts mentioned above. I was lucky enough to meet all heroes guests and patrick stewart but I had to queue from 6am sunday morning which meant leaving my house at 4. I am not moaning about that though because i understoond how busy this was going to be and prepared. People seem more angry at themselves for not etting up early enough and getting down there and are now angr at everything because the place was busy. BIG SHOCK GUYS!

Look on the bright side

1) they didnt try and hold all those guests and all the public in mk - NOW THAT WOULD BE HELL!

2) That they got the guests at all and if they attended once there is always a chance they will again

3) That you survived the day.

I do agree with the layout, the lighting, the venue itself and the fact that it was monumentally busy but if you wanted to meet them, what was to say the rest of world didnt want to as well! Plus, if the official heroes tour had done signings over here like in other countries except LFCC, then perhaps it would have been calmer.

I do understand as well that you all feel they should have been split up but from my point of view, splitting them up would have caused chaos as we would have been running all over to find people, plus there really wasnt another spot in that venue suitable for patricks queue as it almost went from end to end at one stage!

My opinions on SM have been stated following previous con's and it is no secret i have a slight personal history with them, however, on this occassion fair play for getting the guests you did and with just a ilittle better queue managment, the rest was out of your hands really.

I was actually really disappointed with LFCC this year and the reason was not because it was busy, but because the facilities for people with disabilities was appalling. I've never complained about an SM event before and I'm sorry I have to. But the way me and my friend were treated cannot be justified. Why should people with disabilities be penalised? I was hoping it would be ok, because the people outside were very helpful and showed us to the disabled entrance - so I was expecting similar help inside. But no, the staff inside that I spoke to (not all of them) were not at all helpful or considerate. When we went to get tickets for myself and my friend for Milo Ventimiglia I was told I could only get one for myself - not for my friend, who is in a wheelchair. I cannot walk properly and found it very difficult to queue, so in the end I only got a vq ticket for Milo and Adrian. I wouldnt have minded if I hadn't been told on the forum before hand that my carer would be able to get me a Virtual Queue ticket.

Also, there was next to no seating, unless you wanted to pay for food to sit in the cafe. At other conventions I've been to there have been designated seating areas for people with disabilities.

I don't think my complaints are unreasonable. Do people think we enjoy being disabled?!

Good guests, good stalls, not so good pr!

Wanting the on the day early birds admitted after pre-paid early birds (which you just happen to have) is an unreasonable request.

yes, people gripe, but this one is a genuine one. Saturday they let in the pre paid e/b's first, it SHOULD have happened on sunday as well. Its like loyalty goes out of the window, and you dont want to alienate the loyal supporters of showmaster events. I was okay-ish, being about 200 or so in the pre bought tickets in getting there at 8.15am, but i'm sure i wouldnt be best pleased if i was nearer the back of that queue knowing people who turned up on the day, got in before me, and got to meet the guest i came for before me, or even saw them when i didnt, say Patrick Stewart, who cleared off early.

I just said that if the size of the event stays the same, some of the above mentionned problem should be considered for little improvements.

There were a fair few ‘big’ guests that cancelled as well, can you image what it would have been like if they all turned up!!! :lol:

• Moderators

Edit : this is actually an answer to DavidB's message, not to you Lucy.

A quick look and hi doesn't kill anyone either and I don't think it would have slowed down the autograph session ;)

But for the problem, I was more referring to the queues near the big guests, to the board missing, to autograph sessions starting on time, to parallel autograph sessions and things like this. I completely understand it's a huge event to organize and I don't really complain about Showmasters, I just said that if the size of the event stays the same, some of the above mentionned problem should be considered for little improvements. But as you said, with so many big guests and so many people attending, it's impossible to please everyone.

:lol: don't worry, I'm not specifically talking at anyone in particular, and I'd never say there's no room for improvements, there always WILL be no matter what event it is! However I just think from reading through all the 'complaints', it perfectly illustrates how so many people attend for different things - whether it's different guests, or different reasons for meeting them etc, and so there'll always be someone unhappy.

A quick look and hi would be nice, but you can bet you'd get someone come on and post "well all I got was a quick look and hi, I was disappointed!" :D

yes, people gripe, but this one is a genuine one. Saturday they let in the pre paid e/b's first, it SHOULD have happened on sunday as well. Its like loyalty goes out of the window, and you dont want to alienate the loyal supporters of showmaster events. I was okay-ish, being about 200 or so in the pre bought tickets in getting there at 8.15am, but i'm sure i wouldnt be best pleased if i was nearer the back of that queue knowing people who turned up on the day, got in before me, and got to meet the guest i came for before me, or even saw them when i didnt, say Patrick Stewart, who cleared off early.

I’m a loyal customer but I didn’t bother with getting a pre-booked early bird ticket just turned up early at the event (7.15am – about 10th in line) for the ticket on the day, so got in extremely early and got my Heroes VQ tickets in the low 100’s.

If the pre-booked did have an advantage :-

= lot more people would be getting them

= a lot more people would be trying to get there earlier to get to the front of the queue

= the queue would be huge

= arriving at 8.15am in the morning you’d be a mile down the road and get in no earlier than you did anyhow.

The day was not a disaster for me...i got what i want...but the Sunday lacked a little common sense from the organisers!...was there a cut off for the amount of tickets sold for the photoshoots?...if there was it obviously was too high and needs to be lowered...learn from Sunday's mess!...running the event the way it was on the day will scare the guests off...you will not get the bigger guests for future events,they will just believe the grief isn't worth it...just look how stressed some of the Heroes guest's were,i don't think we will ever see some of them again at an event and i won't be surprised if the warn some of the other Hero actors aswell!

Edited by Dr Evil

A message for the complainers, Sorry they couldn't tailor the show exactly for all of you !

If I had the time I would trawl through your older posts refering to shows when gold passes didnt exist and paste them on here.

I think criticism is good as long as its constructive and taken on board for the future, thats the whole point of forums like this, is it not? No show is ever going to be perfect, but how else are the organisers going to improve without feedback, sorry "complaining." :lol:

My main gripe is with the Hall, not SM. (I have mini other moans, but I've already siad them) No space, no light, no chairs, no 'real' food, no cheap food. Car park bloody far away... I have a bad foot, but do disabled sticker... but I didn't see any of those spaces nearer even? Stupid Earls court.

I think we'd all agree the main prob was that. I hope SM realise that aswell, and consider somewhere more like wembley next time. The hall was TOO big, foor upstairs, guests in a section behind the stalls, car park not too far away.....

I can't really complain too much about my experience at the LFCC. I only went to see Dominic and I got an auto, my photoshoot & i even asked a question at the talk so I can't really say that I wasn't happy with that.

However I must jump on the bandwagon about the facilities. My mum came with me and she is disabled and has to walk with a stick. The lack of seating was awful and I really think they should have provided seating for people who are disabled.

Having said that I always have fun and these events and I will certainly be going again.

I only had one photo session and that was with Hayden, isn't she so cute. Having done photo shoots before I knew exactly what was gonna happen and what to do (even to the point of the Max Factor powder puff for the last second shine remover). Hayden was lovely and smiley and said 'hi' put her arm around me and I did same, click of camera and many smiley thankyous to Hayden, photographer and even the girl handing out the ticket. Politeness is a total essential. This is my second showmasters attendance and after all the faux pas I made in the first one (the politeness is something that comes as standard) I managed to have a day where I could talk to and be with a guest and not melt into a wobbly jelly goo. A photo is good, an autograph on the photo is really good and the bonus is when they say just how lovely the photo is, that really makes the day special.

I just said that if the size of the event stays the same, some of the above mentionned problem should be considered for little improvements.

There were a fair few ‘big’ guests that cancelled as well, can you image what it would have been like if they all turned up!!! :D

Exactly I imagined what would have happened with say Mary Mc Donnell, Michael Biehn, Andy Hallett and a few others in addition :jason:

But I'm not sure Milo & Adrian would have been there then ? :lol:

your joking Milo & Adrian would have still been there if none of the other guests had not cancelled, showmasters aint gonna turn down probably the only chance to get them for quite a while.

The genuine complaints about the layout and lighting is fair enough - i mean like i said to my freind i bet showmaster where a little peeved at the lighting situation etc.

The only problem i found was because Heroes has more than just a cult following you got alot of convention vergins and it would be handy to have something for them as comming into the event. (tho i know it was all in the program) I came in and thought oh its busy but didn't bother me till i went up to where the heroes guys where and it was just like MAYHEM! ques seperate from the actual ques for virtual ticket holders might have helped (you can always try and see how it works out. somewhere near where you came in) then the ques would be away from the guests.

As for the complaints about autographs being rushed etc not getting to chat. well it kinda goes both ways. If you have something to say to the guests it often helps be engaging dont just expect them to talk to you. I saw Hayden after number 1200 and below where announced and she was getting threw autographs very quickly - so i said what i had to say while she was signing my dvd and got a fantastic reaction - she totaly lit up and got excited and was full of energy as if i was the first person. Made my day.

the signings are what you make of them.

yeah it was uncomfortably busy but c'mon... We got to meet the heroes guys!!!

if i had a complaint, tbh it would be directed at the bloody vergin trains! i ended up being three hours late for the event thanks to, engeniring on the track, them having to change/remove the desiel engine and then there was sheep on the line. yeah thats right SHEEP! WTF? so by the time i got there i missed one photo shoot, and thought there was no chance of getting any autographs let alone the three i managed to get. tho i must admit i was lucky and got spare vertual tickets of people who didn't use theres.

I came away with 3 of the 4 autographs i wanted and got a photo to look forward to getting.

thanks Showmaster! despite the mayhem i had a blast!

Edited by Jinx

Hi

I'm one of the "complainers" (I'd guess) as I listed a number of items that caused problems for us. On the whole it was an okay day in that (on the whole) we had a good time but many small issues (that could be avoided) caused major grief for us.

I'm now finding this whole thing a bit amusing as I attended two events within a week - Collectormania Glasgow and LFACC.

Before the Glasgow event, many were writing it off (I wasn't but was disappointed by the lack of guests with a month to go). Before the LFACC event, many were saying it was the best thing ever.

Now that both events have finished, there's been heaps of praise levied on the Glasgow event and many people on here having issues with the LFACC event. I'm aware many people loved LFACC (I loved sections of it) but there's definitely a trend in here and not all because some people never saw all the guests they wanted to.

We travelled 800 miles there and back and spent over £250 at the event. As such, I feel I'm entitled to give positive and negative feedback.

Surely it's down to the fans/customers to say what they liked or didn't like without topics like this addressing the complainers as many of the points listed in the other "complaint" threads haven't even been touched on in this one.

I'll stress this again, the VT distribution needs to be better - 1 day there will be a serious injury (my son and partner were injured yeseterday) and the consequences will be dire for future events.

As a first suggestion, why not sell the first 500 numbers for each of the six top guests online with fans allowed to make one payment of £10 to hold (only) three numbers. By my calculations this would earn showmasters another £10k and prevent the fighting and chaos that went on yesterday. If the folk turning up on the day aren't happy then tell them to register on here and pay in advance like the rest of us.

As a second suggestion, distribute the VT's nearer the entrance (not in the queue) and make sure there's plenty of space for the hubbub.

As a third suggestion, ensure all crew follow the same routine; i.e. only 1 ticket per fan, everyone knows whether vt's are allowed for kids or not, crew don't get delayed answering stupid questions, etc.

Just my opinion - I'm not wanting to start complaining about those that are complaining about the complainers.

Steve

Hi

Sorry for adding another post so soon after the last one but I went back and re-read everything from the start. We attend these events to meet the stars and get autographs - we NEVER spend long with them but wanted to raise a few points from yesterday:

Hayden signing - we paid £25, fought for our VT and later in the day only spent about 5 second with her. I don't want to make pals with her but she didn't look up and didn't even write her surname. People are praising her for getting through everyone, but if her photoshoot wasn't so busy or less time was spent in the first few hours with fans drooling over her or chatting for ever then everyone could have had an equal amount of time with her. Another 5 seconds may have gotten us a surname and a hello. We only had 20 seconds with each of the Patrelli brothers but was delighted as they wrote their full name and acknowledged us. Someone should have been ensuring the Hayden queue was moving quicker earlier in the day.

Patrelli brothers photo-op - I don't want to chat to them or become their pals, but we queued for 40+ minutes, paid £30 and both looked like their cat had just died. I witnessed this as I was behind the camera trying to make my son look straight forward. We were in and out in 10 seconds which I don't mind. If you don't believe me, I'll post the photo when it comes through the mail.

Dom signing - At 4pm, we were assured he would personalise the auto when we paid but were then told a few yards further that he couldn't when we approached him (after taking our money of course). He could have written my sons name in a fraction of the time that he wrote a message over the photo - just plain daft. Earlier in the day I witnessed people spilling their life history to the guy.

Don't think everyone in here commenting wants to chat to the fans forever or be their pals. We are chuffed with a quick hello, surname and (usually) my sons name on the photograph as it makes it more personal for him.

Also, I'm fine with "no posed photos" but what's so life threatening about taking a few shots while they are signing. It's never such an issue at other events - unless of course Showmasters realise that preventing anyone taking any shots will boost the cash taken at the photo-op opportunities

Steve

• Moderators

Also, I'm fine with "no posed photos" but what's so life threatening about taking a few shots while they are signing. It's never such an issue at other events - unless of course Showmasters realise that preventing anyone taking any shots will boost the cash taken at the photo-op opportunities

What makes you assume it's Showmasters that have had that thought and not a guest?

Just throwing that one out there :D

Have you noticed how people who complain because they didn't get what they wanted, when they wanted, how they wanted. This is ShowMasters - not Burger King :D

Things are done the way they are for a reason - and the vast majority of the time, they work fantastically well. The event was busy - whatcha gonna do ? If you want the big guests, you have to put up with this kind of thing.

Unfortunately (or not) the popularity of Heroes seemed to bring in scores of SM (if not con) virgins, who's lack of understanding of the system seemed to cause issues along the way. Like the group who wouldn't move from Hayden's area in case they missed her - even though they were a few hundred away from their VT number :pyth:

We really have enough threads now saying that it was a dark, badly laid out hall, or that the food was expensive, or it was packed - let's agree to agree on all that type of stuff. Most of the other stuff is just the toys being thrown out of the pram because people want more than they can reasonably expect, or didn't persue what they wanted in the appropriate manner.

The photoshoots are JUST that - click, move, click, move, click, move ..... anyone going in expecting chats, hugs or any sort of "quality time" will always be disappointed - and that is PERFECTLY REASONABLE. take a bit of responsibility for your actions people !

Complaining that you didn't meet Milo, but someone with a gold pass got their friend a lower VQT and they met him ? Unreasonable.

Screaming generally how someone you don't know got something you awanted ... by whatever means .... is unreasonable !

and expecting anything more than a photo from a photoshoot, or an autograph from a signing is .... guess what .... unreasonable :whistling:

Having said that, the possible improvements we all posted after last years show were ignored.

Some tables at which to re-gather your freshly signed item(s) ? - NO!

Somewhere to sit other than the talk area ? - NO

Reasonably priced food of better quality ? - erm no !

I can't find that thread from last year just now, but these were some of the suggestions made. There certainly seemed to be enough room to provide such things ....

will it be like that in all collectormanias for heroes guests? because i wasn't there