Patrick Stewart experience

lone gunman

The guys running the queues you mention did a great job under difficult conditions, alot of attendees were just lingering in that area waiting for their ticket numbers to come up, when they should have vacated the area for the time being.

The crew tried to convey this message several times, but they were not being listened to by attendees

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys running the queues you mention did a great job under difficult conditions, alot of attendees were just lingering in that area waiting for their ticket numbers to come up, when they should have vacated the area for the time being.

The crew tried to convey this message several times, but they were not being listened to by attendees

I believe the problem was that people didn't KNOW when their number was up, because to see the numbers you had to get to the front of the queue to begin with.

I understand the staff had a hard time but that does not give anyone the right to man handle me and generally treat people like dirt. I've been doing these and other events for years and know how annoying lingering people can be for both staff and attendees. I was NOT lingering, my ticket HAD been called and I was actually IN a queue. 99% of the staff/stewards I spoke to this weekend were nothing but helpful... two in particular went out of their way to help me.

And did you take this up with one of the SM staff at the organisers booth, such as Andrea or even one of the pitboss's? Im betting you didnt.

This may or may not have happened, but so far you seem to be the only person this has happened too, are you sure your not just over reacting a bit? I know how these days merely being touched can be called manhandled, and some of the crew were 'guiding' people to stand in a particular place, but nothing bad that I thought.

And did you take this up with one of the SM staff at the organisers booth, such as Andrea or even one of the pitboss's? Im betting you didnt.

This may or may not have happened, but so far you seem to be the only person this has happened too, are you sure your not just over reacting a bit? I know how these days merely being touched can be called manhandled, and some of the crew were 'guiding' people to stand in a particular place, but nothing bad that I thought.

Yes this did happen, no I'm not overreacting... in fact it was the same guy who did the same thing to me and my friends in the Dom queue Saturday. I meant to bring it up when I spoke to Jason today but after the numerous other things I wanted to discuss, that happened later in the day, it slipped my mind. I will be sending an email regarding the matter though.

I don't want to lump this guy in with the rest of the staff/stewards, who were nothing but courteous and helpful. The pit boss in that particular area was awesome and he will have my undying thanks for a long, long time.

Edited by meivocis

Meeting Patrick was simply unbelievable for me :)

He was the main reason I flew to London and he was worth every penny. He looked up and said hi, asked me how I was, I asked him, he told me very well, I thanked him for coming to the show today and he thanked me for showing up and getting his autograph. He smiled at me more the once and I have to admit, my knees got weaker every second :chair: Love him! :YAHOO:

Strange that he said he had to catch a flight at 3.10pm when I walked past him chatting to his look a like at 4.30pm !!!

Yes, because it's exactly what you saw: a look-alike.

Chatted with the guy and he was LOVELY!!

My experience was good:) I was fearing a "Janeway" experience.. but no.

He looked at me, smiled, thanked me, even asked me if the silver color suited me for the signing!!

I'm definitly happy that i got a gold pass!! Was 3rd in line :)

I was lucky enough to at the front of the Dominic line when Patrick entered his auto area, so I managed to see him, which was great for me.

I felt sorry for those who had made special journeys to see Patrick only to find out he was there for only 3 hours, I would have been gutted.

I was lucky enough to be in the first 50. When I got to Patrick I was awestruck and eventually managed to say how lovely it was to meet him, to which he looked up and smiled, said thank you and asked me how I was, I melted into a profusion of thankyous, Im very well thankyous and more thankyous. He was lovely.

Strange that he said he had to catch a flight at 3.10pm when I walked past him chatting to his look a like at 4.30pm !!!

Yes, because it's exactly what you saw: a look-alike.

Chatted with the guy and he was LOVELY!!

My experience was good:) I was fearing a "Janeway" experience.. but no.

He looked at me, smiled, thanked me, even asked me if the silver color suited me for the signing!!

I'm definitly happy that i got a gold pass!! Was 3rd in line :)

Hi Cookie,

I take it you got home alright then! I enjoyed our little chats over the weekend

Hi Cookie,

I take it you got home alright then! I enjoyed our little chats over the weekend

Yes i'm back in one piece.. exhausted, and my legs are all crampy (was almost crying in the train yesterday, with the pain!), but i'm home..

I'm looking forward seeing you around next time:)

Met Patrick for the first time yesterday and thought he was quite nice and he loved the litho I got him to sign. Bought a gold ticket for the first time and I have to say it was a good choice. My wife had some pi$$ed off people who had a good at her saying 'its alright for the likes of you' but they could of paid for a gold ticket same as us.

Anyway back to Patrick nice bloke and a pleasure to meet.

I was talking with MOH last night, and we've agreed that if Patrick ever does one of these again, we're going to invest in Gold Programmes. I'd be devestated to miss out a second time.

Well this is the second time my husband has met him and today we spent 75.00 on his signatures. He didn't look up, didn't acknowledge anyone in the queue, just signed and pushed things on. There were absolutely no photos, not even just walking down the queue. This is the 2nd and last time we would ever go to see him. It ruins the experience after such a good day with all other guests. The no photos at all is unfair, I can understand no posed photos but if you are just in the queue waiting, why can't you take a photo. It was rushed and uncomfortable and very disappointing.

The above comment simply does not come close to reflecting my experience and pleasure of meeting Mr Stewart on Sunday.

Having previously survived the JCB-controlled 'Shatner Experience' in Milton Keynes, it was more than obvious that SM were adopting the same procedure, which I felt was acceptable on this occasion given the limited time available for signing. Having been herded through the conveyer belt system to the signing table, I expected nothing more than the three in-person autographs I had requested. I was therefore delighted when, after signing the first piece he stopped, looked up and asked how I was. That provided the opportunity to open up an albeit brief and limited chat on the success of his recent Shakesperean roles and the resulting move of the production to the West End, all ending in smiles and encouragement to go and see the play(s). I found him extremely friendly, good-natured and more than happy to engage in a brief conversation.

It may have been that he was simply resting his hand but for me it was a fantastic and unexpected experience, all the more special for having been prompted by the man himself. My apologies to the people around me in the queue who may not have been so successful but I left completely happy and satisfied with the experience.

I would just like to say a huge thank you to the guy who was looking after Patrick Stewart's queue. I believe his name was John. If you're reading this I'm the girl who realised that I'd lost my ticket/receipt for my autographs just before I got to Patrick's signing table around 1.40pm. After being told to speak to you, you had the decency to allow me to re-enter the queue and get my autographs.

You could have just turned me away as at that time of day for Patrick's queue - it was manic. You didn't. For that you're a star. I tried to say thank you to you on my way out but you were in the middle of what you'd been doing all day - handling the maddest craziest queue intelligently, professionally and with common sense. Afterwards my boyfriend and I managed to find the receipt at the bottom of my handbag at 2.30ish and handed it back in as we were aware you guys needed it for accounts purposes.

Finally, good call for shouting out the current VQ numbers to the crowd as most people couldn't even see the board and if I manage to bump into you at Collectormania 12 I'll buy you a beer! Sorry for causing you and the other staff in Patrick's queue grief!

:help: Top bloke! :king:

-

As for Patrick - he was sweet, asking me if I'd managed to find my ticket and signed both of my books. With both him and Nana Visitor being there the DS9 relaunch book Avatar was proving a popular choice. Would have been gutted if I didn't get his autograph on that to go with Nana's....

Edited by Victoria_B

It may have been that he was simply resting his hand but for me it was a fantastic and unexpected experience, all the more special for having been prompted by the man himself. My apologies to the people around me in the queue who may not have been so successful but I left completely happy and satisfied with the experience.
You made it sound like sexual innuendo. :help:

I didn't go to LFCC cos Patrick was announced for just one day - I just didnt think I'd stand a chance at meeting him let alone finding out later he was there to sign for just 3 or 4 hrs.

Edited by nicky

These two guys are lovely. Brad has often seen them at Collectormania in MK and has always wanted to have a photo with the two of them together. They were very accomodating and i think he started all the attendees in the cafe wondering whether it was the real PS.

It didn't help when he started chatting to them about Macbeth because Patrick had told him earlier in the day that he was old enough now to appreciate Shakespeare and to come along and see it.

I do agree that they are both very good lookalikes but, more importantly, are just as gentlemanly as the real thing. Its only a shame the neither has the voice!!

I can honestly say that, of course, yesterday was manic and really hard work. Not as relaxing an event as before and we got very few coffee stops. However, we knew this would be like this. We got there at 6am and spent several hours with some very nice people drinking coffee and eating chocolate brioches on a very mild morning (Thanks and Happy Birthday to Kevin - Brad's blocker to the end zone and Hi to Paul for making the 4 hour wait fly by). Needless to say arriving at that time meant that we were not disappointed but were too tired at the end of the day to say our usual goodbyes and thank everyone at SM for their hard work and sincere dedication.

In fairness to everyone at SM - they all gave 100% and did everything in their power to help everyone that needed it. I have to admit I did notice an awful lot of new attendees this time and even found myself explaining the VT system to several people who thought they all had to wait for their number to be called and that everyone would be called according to number order.

There were also an awful lot of disarray. Queues were merging into each other and rather than find the end of a queue people were starting a new one. It's no surprise that various people felt aggrieved by what they thought was queue jumping and unfair allocation of tickets.

I agree that putting all of these heavy hitters together was not the best possible scenario. However, with Fridays last minute cancellations and new guest announcements along with the new hall assignment and all the Health & Safety to look into, I think SM did the best that they could on such short notice.

This was not a fiasco just hard work. I've been to a fiasco (namely the as featured on Watchdog David Boreanaz event). That was awful. Brad has attended all SM events since C1 and, honestly, I would consider SM the best at what they do. Lets hope the next one leaves time for more coffee breaks - I was in caffeine withdrawl last night!

Big hugs to everyone and see you in October

I was expecting to run its course like some people have said, that it would be a rush. Sure it was exactly like that but he did say 'your welcome' after signing my autograph after i said thanks and he did look up and smile at me so i have no complants about meeting him, it was a pleasant meeting for me.

I can assure you that Meivocis was NOT the only person this happened to. I left the event feeling very disappointed with the cattle market atmosphere - and I've been to every SM event in the last few years. Patrick, however, was a very pleasant guest. Manhandling in any situation (and it happened more than once yesterday) is totally uncalled for.

1) If Patrick knew he couldn't commit to the whole day, he shouldn't have bothered coming unless he'd made that very clear before hand, and given Showmasters time to publicise that fact.

So you would prefer that if Patrick got work late in the day which restricted his available hours at the show, that he should have turned around and said "Hmm. If I put myself out and cut it fine getting to the plane on time I could still see some of the fans, or I could just take the easy option for myself and cancel completely so that all of them miss out. Yes, that's the best route; let everyone down."

2) If Showmasters knew he wasn't going to commit to the whole day, some sort of warning would have been nice. Surely this was known before 8.am this morning, when I last checked the site?

Not necessarily - actors can get work at very short notice. Plus updating the website can be difficult to do if everyone is at the show working.

3) Keeping his signs up all afternoon despite his having buggered off hours previously just made things worse.

Most venues frown on people working with power tools on stands while the show is open to the public.

Did anyone manage to get pictures of the crowds?

Here ya go, here's a piccy of the crowd on Sunday at the autograph stand when they first let everyone in, ya can see the peeps handing out tickets kinda surrounded at the front :D

p9020113hy7.jpg

Suzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiii!! :wub:

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Patrick was always going to be a hugely popular guest and I arrived at 6.20am to be about 20th in the queue. Some people had been there since before 4am!

It was 4.20 AM, and that person was me. :wub:

I had decided to play safe as I can't run very fast and ended up with ticket 104 in the end, but I got to meet Patrick and all Heroes guests, so the night shift was definitely worth it.

That was really scary when the escalator suddenly stopped moving. I thought I'd get trampled, and I am no small girl by any means.

Patrick was lovely though. He looked up, said hi and at least made an effort to have something like a short conversation. I think a certain someone at the MSPG stall was pretty amused when I was all beaming: "It was better than I thought, he actually looked at me." LOL

Edited by Queen_Sindel