We're Getting Screwed By The Heroes DVD

gregmss

Not really to do with the con but I thought I should bring it up, has anyone else heard that they are going to have the region 2 Heroes box set split up, now I know they are doing this a lot lately but I don't get it, it seems like we are getting screwed by these DVD releases because they always end up costing more than they should, part 1 of heroes is set to sell at £35.99, now thats what I'm hoping to buy it for at LFCC this weekend (if I can't I'l just go and get it off playusa), seriously why do we get it split up? It's the whole Grindhouse thing again, it seems that we are being milked for money, anyone else angry about this?

Not really to do with the con but I thought I should bring it up, has anyone else heard that they are going to have the region 2 Heroes box set split up, now I know they are doing this a lot lately but I don't get it, it seems like we are getting screwed by these DVD releases because they always end up costing more than they should, part 1 of heroes is set to sell at £35.99, now thats what I'm hoping to buy it for at LFCC this weekend (if I can't I'l just go and get it off playusa), seriously why do we get it split up? It's the whole Grindhouse thing again, it seems that we are being milked for money, anyone else angry about this?

This is Great Britain what else could we expect.

I think the reason for doing this is something to do with licensing I think though I may be wrong....

It's certainly nothing new for US shows released in the UK to be split in to two part box sets, LOST & CSI to name two shows (afetr S1 of CSI: Vegas I stopped buying R2 and went R1)

I'm wondering how much the R1 box set is going to be if it's on sale at the Con. Playusa have it for £34.99 delivered but I was in the Cinema Store on Wednesday (who are norotiously expensive!) and they had it for a pound or two shy of £60.00!!!

If you're a fan of a USTV show and it's gets a UK DVD release, it makes more sense to splash out on the R1 if you have the ability to play them (hardly any UK DVD players don't have R1 playability now anyways). I guess the only other reason they get split into two box sets is purely to make more cash from those jumping the gun and being a little eager.

I guess the only other reason they get split into two box sets is purely to make more cash from those jumping the gun and being a little eager.

If you ask me, it's the ONLY reason period! BSG, Supernatural, Torchwood, Prison Break etc etc all end up like this. It's another way to stiff the fans.

I never buy split ones.

I don't think it's to shaft us on purpose. I think the reason it's split is because they want to make money on it as fast as possible, while it's still hot and in the mind of the public. They can't sell the whole series now, because it's still showing on the BBC and they probably have a deal where it's not available to buy until the series has been completely shown.

To be honest, you can blame UK TV channels for this problem, if Sky had aired it like they normally do (ie under a week from US broadcast), then the whole series would have aired and it would probably be released whole. (That could be why series like 24, Buffy, BSG, Las Vegas, etc get released whole.)

Firstly, the R2 DVD release of Heroes Part 1 is October 1st. This coming Monday sees the release of the first episode on DVD. Quite why they feel the need to do a world-wide DVD release tour considering most countires wont actually be getting the entire series released is beyond me, but that's marketing people for ya!

Secondly, I think, as someone else pointed out, it's more to do with licensing then ripping people off. Even though the whole series has aired on Sci-Fi, the BBC wouldn't be pleased if the DVDs were released before they had the chance to show them all first, so that's where the problem lies and depends what contracts have been signed between the Beeb and NBC.

And finally, Grindhouse is a completely different issue and more to do with it being a box office disaster in the US. Not to mention Tarintino falsely portraying what Grindhouse actually means.

My advice, buy it on R1 or wait until the 10th of December when the season 1 boxset is released.

I don't think it's to shaft us on purpose. I think the reason it's split is because they want to make money on it as fast as possible, while it's still hot and in the mind of the public. They can't sell the whole series now, because it's still showing on the BBC and they probably have a deal where it's not available to buy until the series has been completely shown.

To be honest, you can blame UK TV channels for this problem, if Sky had aired it like they normally do (ie under a week from US broadcast), then the whole series would have aired and it would probably be released whole. (That could be why series like 24, Buffy, BSG, Las Vegas, etc get released whole.)

What?! This is news to me, since when are they aired in line? And Buffy was always released in halves, btw. I know because I have all the halves.

So why were the first BSGs done as 1.1 etc?

Total ripo imo - especially when there are no extras of note either.

As many have previosuly posted, this is something that has gone on in the UK for years. But, on the positive side, if you shop aroud you will find a price war between Virgin, WH Smith, HMV, Sainsbury and Asda. I managed to pick up part 2 of Prison break Season 2 for £22.97 at Sainsbury.

One thing of note is that the US retailers/distrbuters are doing it now. They recently did it with 24 amongst other shows. It isn't great to have to buy it in two parts, but shop around (or phone) and you may save money.

it really annoys me when people whinge about the price of DVD's or they are splitting the season...no one is putting a gun to your head and say "buy it"...you want to send a clear message to these companies ,its simple really don't buy it....and it won't be too long before you get to pick up a complete season for probably £20.00....like i did with Supernatural...they eventually come down in price if they don't sell aswell first time round....and it sends a clear message to keep the price down for the next season!

to true dr evil (great name!) with prison break i purposly didnt buy it from the uk and got it half price on playusa, the price of half a season for the lot. i'd never buy to halves...your only encouraging them.

supernatural i got for like £30 for all of it after about a month of it being out.

i never buy boxsets in two halves have got a region free dvd player recently so know will get them from the US cheaper plus you get them a lot sooner and often more extras win win win hehe

Both Virgin and WH Smith have a sale on at the moment with TV Box Sets. I picked up Season 2 of BSG for £20 the other week. They have all mainstream American and British shows on sale.

Col. Jack - I am hoping to go the way of HD TV etc when I get a job and squirrel some savings. A family member has recently secured HD TV Flatscreen Plasma jobby with HD DVD and it is the Squirrels nuts.. You are very lucky...

Don't go to HMV then. They have advertised that they are going to release each episode seperatly on a DVD for £3.99 each. 1st Episode is out September 3rd

My local HMV have it listed for half price for first week only, and £2.99 after that.

It also has a lot of extra stuff on it as well.