Make Most Of It! First & Last Scotland Show?

PowerZ

• Moderators

The fact that you put that quote from me in your sig would suggest you have a slightly different agenda to just expressing 'your opinion' on this forum.

No-one has a problem with discussion or debate on here, but why do something like that if you're just here to offer an opinion? You can't be surprised if you agitate people when you've clearly done something like that to get a reaction.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a GREAT time today. Talked with JRD & Drew Galloway for a long time so that was good. Was suprised that so many people turned up ! Talks were great, photo sessions were great, stalls were great. Collectormania Glasgow was FANTASTIC ! THANK YOU SHOWMASTERS !

Just back from the Event - the verdict REALLY GOOD!

Really hope they got enough interest to warrant coming next year bigger & better, the venue was okay looked bit funny as it is an arena with arena seating and not the best of lighting.

Good venue from point of view hundreds of shoppers around that may just have noticed it is on & come into it. Would imagine SECC charge far more to hire a hall from them.

Guest list not great but Robert Englund, Anthony Head, John Rhys Davies - big queues for them. And all really nice people, especially Robert Englund!

Left just before 11am queued up before 9am to get in, so didn't see how busy it got later? But hope they got the interest needed and will do Sun. also.

Collectormania did a really good job for first time in Scotland .

Next Year :-

Double the Guest List & bigger names.

• Moderators

I had a GREAT time today. Talked with JRD & Drew Galloway for a long time so that was good. Was suprised that so many people turned up ! Talks were great, photo sessions were great, stalls were great. Collectormania Glasgow was FANTASTIC ! THANK YOU SHOWMASTERS !

What did you talk to Drew about? :YAHOO: I definitely would've met him if I went ^_^

Ross Owen I am a true fan of one thing and one thing only...my happiness and enjoyment. I am loyal to no single events/convetion organisation and have openly voiced my opinions of Showmasters to them directly if needed. I do not need to do it in the way it has been done here. Harkness has moaned throughout his/her stay here, and that has been brief. You yourself have taken a partial quote from DavidB and put it in your signature to make him look a prat. By his history on this board alone he is a loyal hardworking volunteer..something I admire in anyone who does something to help others as well as themselves (the perks of beign an assistant etc are known). One thing I do detest is bullying, and in my opininon that has gone on through derision and put downs during certain person's posts. I am not naming who as I am non confrontational across a board as it makes for bad atmosphere. These comments that I make now are generalised and made in extreme calmness before going out for the evening.

You can be any type of fan on these OPEN forums, and have opinions etc. However, if people like Harkness want to post rather agressive posts and not think that they will be addressed or replied to then he/she has another thing comign. I am a man who is not a child, teenager or twenty something. I am someone who has been around the block a bit and I will not stand for someone being picked on, which I consider to have happened to both DavidB and anyone else who has voiced opinions against Harkness. He/She started the name calling and agressiveness, and it is wrong. This is a friendly place, not a school yard. I wonder if Harkness woudl be so agressive face to face. Or is it a case of from behind a PC monitor he/she is a different person?

By the way Ross Owen, very little has been directed at you bar the signature quote. The source of the antagonism is Harkness. Opinions are a right. Bullying is not. As a Samaritan trained individual, I can see/smell bullying a mile off and will not stand for it. However, your remarks are not in that category. So, please do not take comments made to others as to you. I will tell you to your face/monitor.

Edited by Arkham

It was a good event. It was busier than I maybe expected, so I'd be shocked if there wasn't another glasgow event. Even at 3-4pm there were still healthy queues to see Anthony, John and Robert.

Oh, and there was NO lack of seats to plonk yourself on to rest the legs :)

I think it was a wise move to shift this event to the braehead. It was a smallish area when you think about gmex or whatnot, but for a first event showmasters did a really fine job.

As regards comparions made to GMEX and LFACC with Collectormania Glasgow, let us be realistic here. Manchester and London are two of the biggest and most travel friendly areas to a much bigger portion of the UK. If you look at the poulations of Scotland and England (including Wales due to it's locality and travel network), you will see from a business stand point that Glasgow was always going to be a bit of a punt in the dark. You have a much much much better chance of WALK UP attendees who come at the last minute who are in Manchester/London or visiting than you would in Glasgow. In order to get Glasgow up to a MK, London or Manchester level, you, or rather Showmasters, have to tread carefully. The numbers simply do not add up to go in all guns blazing and expect to run further events. Remember that one bad event can hurt all other events.

DSC00477.jpg

It was an enjoyable day indeed, with a great turnout of attendees. The talks certainly were well attended!

DSC00480.jpg

I've attempted to go for a wide view shot here to try and give everyone an idea of the layout and how many people were there today, I apologize now for my camera skills!!

Roll on a Collectormania Glasgow 2 event next year, it was at times busy in some of the aisles, and were being jostled around just like either being at MK or Earls Court.

Granted, it was a little weird to be holding it in the sports arena, but it worked very well actually, and one benefit that it had compared to either GMEX or LFCC , was that there was plenty of seating for attendees, and not just on the concrete floor ala GMEX or LFCC!

The fact that you put that quote from me in your sig would suggest you have a slightly different agenda to just expressing 'your opinion' on this forum.

Nonsense

No-one has a problem with discussion or debate on here, but why do something like that if you're just here to offer an opinion? You can't be surprised if you agitate people when you've clearly done something like that to get a reaction.

You need to get a sense of humour David. So I posted your quote in my sig? and whats the big deal? You said it didn't you!!! Don't blame me mate. I made my point about being disappointed in the lineup - if you or anyone else doesn't like me having that opinion then tough. As a potential paying customer I have every right to expect value for money.

I am not naming who as I am non confrontational across a board as it makes for bad atmosphere, however, if people like Harkness want to post rather agressive posts and not think that they will be addressed or replied to then he/she has another thing comign. I am a man who is not a child, teenager or twenty something. I am someone who has been around the block a bit and I will not stand for someone being picked on, which I consider to have happened to both DavidB and anyone else who has voiced opinions against Harkness. He/She started the name calling and agressiveness, and it is wrong. This is a friendly place, not a school yard. I wonder if Harkness woudl be so agressive face to face. Or is it a case of from behind a PC monitor he/she is a different person?

Why are you directing these comments about another person to me? I've no interest. And for someone who doesn't want to mention any names - you just did! Lighten up man and I hope you are not for one second suggesting that I am a bully for having an opinion. I'm no kid either buddy.

Point 1: I am not your buddy - term or no term

Point 2: You involved yourself with other people's comments, so your lack of interest shows that you want to get involved yet not take the fallout. Your own comments bordered on rude and aggressive, and someone with me who does not frequent the forum made the same sort of opinion without my help.

Point 3: If you are going to quote me, do the decent thing of quoting the whole post as you try and make things sound like something they are not. The non naming of names was put in the following passage

One thing I do detest is bullying, and in my opininon that has gone on through derision and put downs during certain person's posts. I am not naming who as I am non confrontational across a board as it makes for bad atmosphere. These comments that I make now are generalised and made in extreme calmness before going out for the evening.

Therefore, you once again misquote somone as you did "jokingly" with David B's so called quote in the signature you used/still use. I never intimatrf taht you were a kiddie, so do not put words into my mouth. You try and make people, namely DavidB and Myself, out to say something that we haven't in the way you try to portrey. I find that sad and immature. For someone who isn't a kiddie, oen needs to grow up and accept it when people disagree with you. You are highly offensive, and to be perfectly honest, no longer worth the time I spend replyng. So, before you come back and quote me in some immature way, the next time you quote me I will just ignore your attempts at baiting me. If the quotes get personal, I will just go the route available to me.

And Ross Owen comes in and alters his post to remove comments about me. Childish. I guess it was lucky I had already quoted you Ross Owen. Why create tension and aggrevation? Why not just be friendly?

Edited by Arkham

I am left with no option but to break my promise of ignoring your comments as I need to make two sensible ones without having you try and twist them again:

1. There are bullies on here, and I am in the middle of reporting them. I find bullying distasteful and unacceptable. It exists and people who stick their heads in the sand about it are as responsible as those who do it.

2. From my point of view, if I feel comments are out of order I will say so. If I am corrected then I will accept said correction. However, when someone tries to talk their way out of a hole when times, dates and quotes prove otherwise, I feel obliged to myself to say something. For someone who comments about others who cannot take criticism or comments, you do the same yourself.

Far from deleting, but modifying and adding. I have a life, but I will not be made to feel like I cannot have an opinion by someone who heralds opinion. I guess this is one time in our lives that we will have to disagree. I hope you find your convention experiences as enjoyable as you wish them to be. I guess I am obsessive when it comes to bullying. I don't see it as a fault. That is all that matters. Good night. It is late.

• Moderators

Nonsense!

You need to get a sense of humour. So I posted your quote in my sig? whats the big deal? You said it... I only quoted it!!! Don't blame me mate.

All this because I made it known that I am disappointed in the guest lineup - if you or anyone else doesn't like me having that opinion then tough. As a potential paying customer I have every right to expect value for money.

Well evidently all this stuff is getting out of hand, so I'd hope you and Arkham can bring it to an end soon - it's unfortunately moving away from the original point of the discussion.

As for what I said - it's not nonsense. I have a good memory, and I know the way you've reacted to me in other topics too - you've deleted posts there before when I've corrected you about something I've done etc, so I'm not going into this blind.

Opinions are fine, disappointment is fine, and expressing all of it is fine too. However, there's always a fair way of expressing it without being antagonising, rude, or derogatory.

'Don't blame me mate'? 'Nonsense'? You clearly have no intention of ever owning up to being wrong, and you'll blame everyone else, and tell ME I need a sense of humour? Yeah, it's not funny, so that'd be the problem.

You've given me nothing but attitude since you joined here - I've had my 'tone' criticised, I've been told not to tell you what to do etc. Show me a bit of respect, and you'll get the same back. My first ever post to you was a friendly request, and it's been downhill from there. A lot of people are capable of having discussion with opposing views without it resulting in something like this page has!

Now maybe you want to start with a clean slate - remove the signature, and stop this argument, and we'll go from there. Sometimes people do start on the wrong foot after all, and I have no intention of feeling like I can't reply to you in the future - but I'd like to do so without it resulting in arguments every time.

I don't think that Arkham, alias Simon Du Kamp, should be criticising others for bulling.

Not after spending 2 years in prison for credit card fraud.

Stealing other fans credit card details while at conventions and then using them to purchase tons of online goods it pretty low.

I don't think that Arkham, alias Simon Du Kamp, should be criticising others for bulling.

Not after spending 2 years in prison for credit card fraud.

Stealing other fans credit card details while at conventions and then using them to purchase tons of online goods it pretty low.

In response:

1. Get your facts straight about why I was in prison. Don't forget the fact that I was blackmailed into what I did, put in hospital twice and lost two years of my life.

2. You need to listen to fact and not rumour instigated by those who jumped on a bandwagon that had nothing to do with them. I trusted someone with my plight, and they turned it on me.

3. My name hasn't been Simon du Kamp for many years Akira. A name change was forced upon me to protect me from the blackmailer who put me in hospital. I live each day with one eye over my shoulder because I told the Police everything.

4. As regards bullying, I have been the victim of bullying.

5. Get the crime correct as well. It wasn't credit card fraud, and I personally never stole details. It was obtaining goods, service and/or monies by misrepresentation. Something that I live with every day of my life when I look in the mirror. I did what I did to protect my family from harm, and I was repaid with the loss of 632 days of my life. And if you want to talk about low...how about the people, and I know who they are, who found out that I was viciously assaulted in prison and spread it around like it was some sort of fun thing to talk about.

I live with that every second and every breath of my life. You want me to suffer for what I did Akira? Well, I fight that day by day with help from no one as no one can understand what I go through. I do not ask for pity, just ot be left alone. You come on here and attack me for something you know nothing about. What was printed in the newspaper and online was 99% wrong. How do I know? Because I lived it. The amount of so called friends who told the Police that I did this and that was amazing. Yet, what they said was wrong. I know what I did. I know what I didn't do. So, get the facts correct if you want to slate me properly. Or be like the people who mock the fact that I was viciously assaulted in prison at 6.46pm on December 5th 2006...sad, lonely and with nothing better to do than hit out. And what makes it worse..someone could have stopped it, but didn't. That good enough for you, or do you want my blood?

So, if you are going to slate me off..at least get the facts straight. I am not proud of what I did, but it protected my Parents, Brother and Nephew from harm. Harm that I took many times. If I could sit down and tell every person how sorry I was then I would. So, if you want to attack me..then go ahead. You won't chase me off.

William Simon Jones

Formerly Simon Mark du Kamp

P.S. The next time you or one of your group go to Showmasters at LFACC and tell them lies, don't ruin my friends day out like you do a few years ago. That is low.

Since typing the above message this afternoon I had time to reflect on what I told people. I was most upset at the flipant and quite vicious way Akira anonymously had a go at me with falsehoods and rumours. I have no problem explaining to anyone privately what happened, but everything I experienced during the blackmail and what happened to me in December just gone made me very upset. To anyone upset themselves by what I revealed had happened to me..I apologise. I also apologise to Showmasters for venting my frustrations at Akira. I also apologise to both Harkness and Ross Owen for chipping in with comments, but my previous Samaritan training kicked in when I thought it was out of order what was being said. I should have kept my thoughts to myself.

I cannot change what I did that got me sent to prison. I can only repent on a daily basis to the good lord above. If you choose to dislike me or judge me on thay, then so be it. If you have any questions, then e-mail me on the address in my profile. Thankyou.

Wil Jones

Edited by Arkham

• Moderators

If that can be the last mention of that situation, that'd be great :coolthumb:

'Arkham' has already brought his 'real' name etc to our attention before, so we are aware of it.

And Ross Owen, I did ask you to remove that from your sig, but you seem to have ignored that part, along with the majority of my post. I don't want to have to bother Showmasters with it - they've got far more important things to be doing than messing around with something ridiculous like that.

Edited by DavidB

I've been following this thread for the last few days with dismay at the attitude of people on here and I'm just going to butt in here for a moment.

Arkham, I think you should remove your post with the details of what did or didnt happen to you. There are a number of very young people who use this forum (at least 2 I know of are aged 10 and 12), and you don't have to be registered to read the posts, so I don't think it's appropriate for this forum. I understand that what you went through is very difficult and painful, but there is a time and a place for discussing it and I personally don't think a convention forum is the place or the time for it.

Edited by jael001

I've been following this thread for the last few days with dismay at the attitude of people on here and I'm just going to butt in here for a moment.

Arkham, I think you should remove your post with the details of what did or didnt happen to you. There are a number of very young people who use this forum (at least 2 I know of are aged 10 and 12), and you don't have to be registered to read the posts, so I don't think it's appropriate for this forum. I understand that what you went through is very difficult and painful, but there is a time and a place for discussing it and I personally don't think a convention forum is the place or the time for it.

After great consideration I have reworded my comments. However, if I remove them all then I look like what certain posters want me to look like. I have never asked for for my past to be brought up, but someone did so and walked away. I cannot change the views of other posters, I can just get on with my life. However, I will not stand by and be attacked without defending myself. People need to know the facts before they make judgments or comments otherwise they become what they accuse others of. I deceived no one, did not commit fraud as Akira stated, but was forced to commit financial crimes with fear for the safety of others dear to me. It is not an excuse, it is the facts. Facts that are in public domain in statements etc. I will now leave this subject peacefully and double check all posts to make sure inappropriate comments are not in them. I am not claiming to be a nice guy, a bad guy or anything else apart from me.

What happened to the customers always right?

Just randomly chipping in here and deviating slightly from what everyones arguing about but regards to the above comment..

B*****KS! The customer is rarely ever right, they just like to think they are because most are stuck up and stupid.

Sorry but it just really gets my back up whenever someone mentions that line. All it is is a line someone invented long ago to keep people happy, but instead it turned them into rude arrogant gits. Im not calling anyone here that, but I am calling customers in general that!

This is from an irate customer service assistant who gets abuse off customers all the time due to that stupid phrase.

Arkham / William Simon Jones / Simon Du Kamp -

I only brought up your past crimes because you were constantly criticising and judging other people on this thread. You of all people have no right to judge anybody considering your past.

I did not bring up your alleged rape, or said I thought you needed to be punished. I brought up your past crime as an indication that you should not so piously criticise other members of this forum.

I am not attacking you, as you were attacking Ross Owen, repeatedly. Merely showing you that you had no right to do so.

As for you wanting to apologise, well. I'm a victim of your crime. I suffered a period of financial hardship because of you. My family suffered because of your actions. Were is our apology?

A.