Make Most Of It! First & Last Scotland Show?

PowerZ

Really hoping this event is big success , and it gets the support necessary to do future events in Scotland! But I'm sceptical.

The Collectables group that do shows in Birmingham, etc stopped coming to Scotland because they no longer had enough support , not enough people attending & not enough stuff sold from stalls to ensure dealers kept coming.

Collectormania are in my opinion much better than the Collectables group , but the one absolutely crucial thing they failed on was a strong guest list!

*** Robert England - Freddy Kreuger in Elm Street Films around 20 years ago. And he is main Guest!

*** Paul McGann - nobody much remembers him as Doctor Who in the movie or in much else , apart from die hard Doctor Who fans and probably few of them there, most new fans like the new series mainly and are younger.

*** Ian Whyte - anyone even know what he looks like outside the suit? They could bring in somebody off the street to sign, and few if anyone would be any the wiser.

*** Nicholas Briggs - Dalek voice??? Why not get someone that pushed the daleks around the BBC set or made tea & coffee for the people in them?

*** Jimmy Vee - who will recognise him outside the alien costume.

*** Devon Murray , very minor Harry Potter role.

*** Drew Galloway , never heard of him, asked others that are into wrestling they hadn't heard of him either.

etc.

Overall a WEAK line up, if only 10 or so guests why not 10 really good well known ones - especially including some current ones (from current shows or movies - Heroes, etc)?

Meet the Stars? Would love too , but where are they?

Really hope sincerely this event will do well, I'll be there with several friends to support it, but a great line up would have brought in far more people I'm sure! Many go for the dealers of course, but the stars are a big attraction and help bring the people in, so unfortunate there are few here and amongst them Dalek voices, etc.

I know Collectormania are 'testing the waters' to see how an event goes then increase in size & amount of guests , etc next time if it does well, but really good guest list would have ensured it did well, now it is open to chance how much people it attracts.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I don't know if you've been to any other Showmasters events yourself or not, but Robert Englund is one of the most popular guests they've ever had, and that's at every event he attends. So yes, NOES may have been a while ago, but he's constantly popular.

Anyway I could say stuff about each guest and debunk what you've said, but in the end if the list isn't to yours or someone elses particular taste then that's fair enough.

The debate about how Showmasters are going ahead with this show has taken place in another topic, and their stance isn't going to change on that.

People will choose to support it or not. If they don't, then there likely won't be another show, so the quality/quantity of guest won't increase. In the end, it'll be everyone up there that misses out on a potentially better show.

People will choose to support it or not. If they don't, then there likely won't be another show

Exactly - this is the part that makes we wonder why bother supporting it at all. The current guestlist isn't going to attract big numbers outside those who use this forum.

Even by supporting the event it doesn't guarantee it will do any good.... except for those who will profit from what looks like is going to be a 'one off' event. You are putting us (the paying public) into a catch 22 situation.

This one is not for me and that is solely because of the guest list. The OP in this thread is spot on with his comments and sums up maybe not all of us but how most of us feel.

The majority of the guests attending this Glasgow event make Z listers look like A listers

But how many of the show attendees frequent these boards?

• Moderators

Even by supporting the event it doesn't guarantee it will do any good.... except for those who will profit from what looks like is going to be a 'one off' event.

It doesn't guarantee anything, of course not, but as Collectormania in MK has proven - if something can start steadily, and grow based on primary success and proven demand, then both quality and quantity will increase.

This Glasgow event evidently hasn't been made to be a huge profit-spinner, but I'm sure they'll be able to gauge interest in future events. They'll know that attendance will be down compared to what it'd be like if there were a lot of big-hitters a la LFACC. But then LFACC will have a lot more expenditure. They'd be crazy to do something on a similar level at Glasgow right now, especially with the timing.

I'm sure we all hope there's enough of a turnout to suggest running future events would be viable.

It doesn't have to be a massive success, just enough support to show something solid to build on. Even if people just attend and look round the dealers etc, they'd obviously spend more if the guests were better etc. It's all workable I'm sure :smile:

Any business, event or concert etc is made successful long term by ensuring that you do not get greedy at the start. Taking small bits here and there can help build a wonderful reputation. I remember MK Events way back when, as well as other event organisers, and they played it safe with a tinge of adventure. All of the ones I know of are going great guns with great reputations. You cannot please everyone all of the time. But pleaseing some some of the time can lead to great things. Give North of the Border a chance.

Any business, event or concert etc is made successful long term by ensuring that you do not get greedy at the start. Taking small bits here and there can help build a wonderful reputation. I remember MK Events way back when, as well as other event organisers, and they played it safe with a tinge of adventure. All of the ones I know of are going great guns with great reputations. You cannot please everyone all of the time. But pleaseing some some of the time can lead to great things. Give North of the Border a chance.

Arkham: Hear Hear!

Your last 3 sentences sums it up nicely! yes the event has to start small and grow from there, so here's hoping it gets a good turnout of people

It disappoints me when people expect miracles. If you big and go bust, then no more events. People will still moan. So, go with smaller events until they get the following to grow. A few moans here and there can only envigorate Showmasters, or any event organiser, to keep going.

I run a club night that started small and has gradually grown month by month. It isn't big, but it is going in the right direction. Size does matter, but in a totally different way.

The Collectables group that do shows in Birmingham, etc stopped coming to Scotland because they no longer had enough support , not enough people attending & not enough stuff sold from stalls to ensure dealers kept coming.

----

Overall a WEAK line up, if only 10 or so guests why not 10 really good well known ones - especially including some current ones (from current shows or movies - Heroes, etc)?

Meet the Stars? Would love too , but where are they?

Sorry to correct you but the Glasgow Memorabilias were considered successes. The only reason that they stopped using Glasgow as a venue was because Showmasters pre-advertised their event more than 18 months in advacne.

So all that time to organise and what do we get North of the Border. A lacklustre list of only about ten guests. All of whom are either repeat attendees or are going to be at LFACC the following weekend. Given the choice what would you do pay £5/10 for 10 guests or go to a little more expence of travel and pay the same price to get into an event with over fifty guests.

A word to all those (supporters? lackeys?)that are saying that "it has to start somewhere". Yes it does but the first events of CM Milton Keynes, Manchester and London Film and Comic Con did not have as poor a showing as this.

With a bit more effort this may have been a success, at the moment it seems like a damp squib. Can't help feeling that Scotland is drawing the short straw, and I can't understand why they haven't tried even a little bit harder. Wasted opportunity?!?!?!? The only success was in Showmasters managed to scare off the already successful competition.

Just my point of view, mind. A poor show all round. But I stand to be corrected.

• Moderators

Collectormania 1: Colin Baker, David Barclay, Doug Bradley, Craig Charles, Paul Darrow, Robert Englund, Uri Geller, Alan Harris, Mat Irvine, Louise Jameson, Sylvester McCoy, Caroline Munro, Jacqueline Pearce and Shane Rimmer.

Not exactly star-studded, and at least half the size of what's being offered these days. The majority are from this country, so they were easy to get at the time.

The target market of the Glasgow show evidently isn't the same as Collectormania, GMEX and LFACC. It's a smaller scale show, and I'd say the guest list, while not spectacular, is solid enough with a few guests that are always popular.

Maybe there'll be a second Glasgow event, hopefully timed better than a week before LFACC, and they can grow from there. If I were an organiser, I certainly wouldn't put as much into this show as LFACC, as no-one could afford 2 shows of that quality in such a short space of time.

As for the successes and failures of another company, and the reasons behind them, that's not really something to be discussed here.

Collectormania 1: Colin Baker, David Barclay, Doug Bradley, Craig Charles, Paul Darrow, Robert Englund, Uri Geller, Alan Harris, Mat Irvine, Louise Jameson, Sylvester McCoy, Caroline Munro, Jacqueline Pearce and Shane Rimmer.

Thanks! Should have guessed who would get back to me first on this!! The line-up you state looks quite impressive compared to Glasgow#1(let's be optimistic),at least they are guests you can recognise outside of a costume.

As usual the comments coming back are a little blinkered, at best, CM1 was Showmaster's first event ever of this kind. So your argument (for that one example)stands well. However the line-up for the first Manchester and London Film and Comic Con's were much bigger for first time venues. Simply because you had a reputation, were established AND experienced. Glasgow should be no different from Manchester or London. So why not the same effort made with it.

As for the successes and failures of another company, and the reasons behind them, that's not really something to be discussed here.

All that is, apart from Showmasters and related interested parties.

EDITED: For grammar.

Edited by harkness

Harkness - Just a quicky. I have no allegiance or connection to Showmasters or people who work/volunteer for them. I attend them when I can, as many other events all over the UK. So, I have to remove myself from the lackey comment. And the blinkered one for that matter. But hey, we are all allowed our opinions after all. :(

DavidB - I sincerely apologise for generalising the events market, but I had hoped the non mentioning of names was sufficient. I was just trying to get a point across about business in general. My bad.

Arkham

Edited by Arkham

• Moderators

I sincerely apologise for generalising the events market, but I had hoped the non mentioning of names was sufficient. I was just trying to get a point across about business in general. My bad.

Hey it's fine - it's the "so and so stopped doing events because ..." discussion I wanted to steer away from, as that's speculation really, and not really our place to be talking about here :(

I sincerely apologise for generalising the events market, but I had hoped the non mentioning of names was sufficient. I was just trying to get a point across about business in general. My bad.

Hey it's fine - it's the "so and so stopped doing events because ..." discussion I wanted to steer away from, as that's speculation really, and not really our place to be talking about here :(

I would agree, but I may be deemed your lacket=y! LOL

• Moderators

:( yeah well, you get used to that if you offer an opinion that might be supporting the organisers somewhat :dance:

I might be a moderator, but I'm still allowed opinions - I still attend the events, and spend money there! Some things work, some don't. It's never a case of blindly defending anything - it's just when you get to talk to the organisers, crew the events etc, you get a different understanding compared to just being a 'fan'.

I won't be attending Glasgow as it's just not worth the money this close to LFACC, but I certainly understand what they're doing with it, and I just hope it'll be fairly successful and encourage them to do another. I'd love to go up there in the future!

:( yeah well, you get used to that if you offer an opinion that might be supporting the organisers somewhat :dance:

I might be a moderator, but I'm still allowed opinions - I still attend the events, and spend money there! Some things work, some don't. It's never a case of blindly defending anything - it's just when you get to talk to the organisers, crew the events etc, you get a different understanding compared to just being a 'fan'.

I won't be attending Glasgow as it's just not worth the money this close to LFACC, but I certainly understand what they're doing with it, and I just hope it'll be fairly successful and encourage them to do another. I'd love to go up there in the future!

I freely admit that SM shows that I have been to could have improved here and there, but they only came up due to the actions of attendees or unforeseen circumstances. It's called life.

From Lackey Jr to Lackey Sr! lol

• Moderators

and the fact that youve quoted a forum member in your signature is just sad really lol get a grip mate

It comes with the territory I'm afraid - you always come across people like that on here, they come and go :smile:

Luckily there's some people capable of 'discussion' without resorting to pettyness :D

If Glasgow doesnt do as well, my thinking of why is for a number of reasons.

1) Not a great line up in the first place, but I may have been persuaded if not for

2) It Was always pretty close to lfcc to be a concern to start with, but when lfcc was moved to the week after, I think that was one of the main nails in glasgows coffin. A lot of people cant or wont do 2 events within as many weeks, especially at opposite ends of the uk. As someone who works weekends and has no holidays left, I can only pull sickies every now and then, so the choice was do I pull it for glasgow, or lfcc which is looking far better for me.

3) Us southerners are tight and lazy sods :smile: For a lot of people who arent stopped by lack of holidays/working weekends, it seems costs to get there and the travelling has put a lot off. While I know the scots regularly travel down south, does that mean their just dedicated? or totally mad lol.

I certainly hope it does well so we can get a collectormania cardiff/cia

• Moderators

A lot of what you've said is indeed true - especially in relation to the timescale etc, hence why this event is on a smaller scale and aimed at a more local audience I believe.

It's not there to get people to travel a huge distance - it's just trying to bring some popular guests from events down here up to a potentially new audience up there.

Will it ever get a chance to transform into something bigger and better? Who knows. I'd like to think so - but if it DOES, they'll have to jiggle the schedule around next year. I don't know if we have room for another event the size of the others.

Sorry this is my first post here i've only just discovered that the event was running but there's something I want to say.

I live about half an hour from Braehead and I couldn't be happier that ths event is running. There aren't alot that run here and if there's anyone else like me I can't afford to travel a great distance even if the guest line up is better. And for that matter I think the line up is good.

Robert Englund - the amount of people i've spoken to who are going just purely to meet "Freddie" is huge, he has amazing drawing power even for people who aren't normally into this sort of thing.

Andy Hallet - i've been luckly enough to meet him once before and he is one of the friendliest, nicest, most genuine guys you wll ever meet. I can't speak more highly of him.

Anthony Head - GILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! need I say more.

I don't really know any of the other guests but that's only because I don't really watch that much tv anymore etc but i'm pretty sure they have a huge fan base too and will attract many people.

The few events that i've actually managed to attend haven't had nearly as good a line up as this one and they've attracted huge numbers. I suppose only time will tell how popular it is but I have to say I for one am looking forward to it and i'm eternally grateful to showmasters for putting it on.

(PS it's my birthday tomorrow so it's a great present to have this coming up!!)

• Moderators

It's nice to hear some people are looking forward to it! :YAHOO: I think you're exactly the kinda person that Showmasters are aiming to attract to this event.

I hope you have a great time, and happy birthday for tomorrow :YAHOO: