Guest Cancellation - Bill Nighy

showmasters

Oh SH!T, I was really looking forward to meeting him, first it was Michael Biehn, now it's Bill Nighy. As the Pet Shop Boy's song goes, (What Have I done To Deserve This), AHHHHHHHHHH, it's just so annoying. Still at least i'm not the only one who's mad, lets just hope that they can a great guest to replace him. :blush:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh SH!T, I was really looking forward to meeting him, first it was Michael Biehn, now it's Bill Nighy. As the Pet Shop Boy's song goes, (What Have I done To Deserve This), AHHHHHHHHHH, it's just so annoying. Still at least i'm not the only one who's mad, lets just hope that they can a great guest to replace him. :blush:

Why are you mad ? and who are you mad at ?

Surely you can't blame Showmasters for him cancelling.. or do you blame the guest themselves.. "how dare they go and find work" type of thing ?

$hit happens im afraid.. it cant be helped.. move on.. it's not the end of the world !!

I don't think he was ever going to attend as his publicist denied him coming months ago.sm waited until people had spent money on tickets for him then announced his'cancellation'and pretending they only just found out about it...I also became suspicious when I saw he did not have an alloted day/days!

I don't think he was ever going to attend as his publicist denied him coming months ago.sm waited until people had spent money on tickets for him then announced his'cancellation'and pretending they only just found out about it...I also became suspicious when I saw he did not have an alloted day/days!

Seriously? That's quite an allegation. Do you have anything to back that up apart from your opinion? Showmasters have a lot of great guests for this event, I doubt very much that they would need to stoop to those levels. Maybe they thought he (or his publicist) could be convinced. They must have had a signed contract before announcing him, so how could his publicist have denied him coming if a contract was signed.

Hmmm, now lets not let this decend into anarchy and chaos.

I'm sure Showmasters had their reasons for waiting till now to announce this. They clearly wouldn't want to write him off the bill without complete confirmation that he couldn't attend.

And as for them wanting the money first, I'm sure there is a good percentage of people who go for more than one guest. If however it is only the one guest they go for and they pull out I suggest they still come along for a great day out with like minded people and even the possibility of making new friends!

I wondered how long it would take for someone to use this as an excuse.

A publicist wouldn't necessarily know about his appearance. It would have been arranged through his manager or agent.

And before anyone gets into the age old of argument of "yes they would have known" as thats what a publicist does then i suggest you actually read up on what the job entails. You will find many stars publicists do not arrange or have anything to do with shows such as this, they are more concerned with arranging interviews, making statements on their behalf etc. Therefore stands to reason his publicist DIDNT know anything about this.

As for announceing him with the intention of never attending.. do you honestly think that would be good business for Showmasters, not to mention the legal implications it could have?

• Moderators

Sometimes guests themselves aren't aware of what they're doing in terms of signing events etc. While someone like Dave Prowse might make a living out of these appearances, others are still working all the time and so they don't know every little detail of their schedule. I've talked to a few in the past that weren't aware of their appearances.

And yes, with a lineup like this, there's not exactly any need for the organiser to lie about some guest to bring people in.

the general feeling is "meh" as this is the best line up for a con EVER! and they'd need at least another like 6 cancellations for it to be at the same level as most other cons. they aim big time, they gotta expect a few cancels...and bill nighly is ALWAYS in things...so it was always likely he'd be filming.

saying that..if mads drops out i shall grow my hair long and start wearing black for the rest of me days

People have scoffed at this accusation and I am not in a position to comment whether or not I think its true or untrue. What I would say though is there are some of you that have said that you are not suprised at this cancellation. This would indicate some peoples feelings are that they were not fully expecting him to attend anyway which seems a bit dubious.

I dont really care, id love to have met him but at the same time i have not spent money on tickets as yet. I can see who is attending and make a decision later.

• Moderators

People have scoffed at this accusation and I am not in a position to comment whether or not I think its true or untrue. What I would say though is there are some of you that have said that you are not suprised at this cancellation. This would indicate some peoples feelings are that they were not fully expecting him to attend anyway which seems a bit dubious.

Yes, they were not surprised due to the publicist stuff etc.

Howie suggests Showmasters waited for people to buy tickets before announcing a Nighy cancellation, but how would they know who is buying an entry ticket based on Nighy's attendance exactly? :YAHOO:

While a late confirmation of dates sometimes means a guest might be unable to make it, all it really says for certain is that the guest hasn't gotten back to Showmasters about their schedule yet. Guests who are trying to sort out a conflicting schedule to figure out what days they can attend, or if new committments are going to prevent it, often get their days confirmed late. Look at Hayden, who had to wait until she knew what was happening with the Heroes tour.

As for the publicist, I recall when another guest's agent was telling people their client was not coming to Collectormania, no way, no how. The agent made it clear they didn't know anything about the show, and that their client was not attending. That was Elijah Wood's agent shortly before Collectormania 4. Agents and publicists don't always know every deal their clients have agreed to.

Yes, they were not surprised due to the publicist stuff etc.

Howie suggests Showmasters waited for people to buy tickets before announcing a Nighy cancellation, but how would they know who is buying an entry ticket based on Nighy's attendance exactly? :headscratch:

Entirely my point.................?