through the mail

indio

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best TTM one I ever got was from Frank Oz which was a letter saying that he no longer signs through the mail but please find enclosed your signed picture!! - and it was dedicated.

I used to get alot of success but lately not so much. The last reply I got was from Christopher Lee's agent returning my unsigned picture as it was already signed by several others and they didn't want to ruin it by stamping a signature onto it and that Mr Lee would send me one in time (2 years later still waiting!).

Alot of post can be sent to the BBC and gets forwarded on from there. That's where my David Jason and Anthony Hopkins ones came from. Ewan McGregor is a good TTM signer and so is Al Pacino (although I was convinced it was autopen but have been told otherwise!)

Hope this helps abit.

Darren

PS - always include letter about THEM not just bog standard and an SAE and some dollars if sending abroad.

I got a signed pic recently for my work from Ian McKellen and he had written the envelope out as well!!

has anyone got any addresses where i can write off for autographs for my son. he has recently become obsessed with star wars and he would love to start collecting autographs. seeing i cant afford to fund my geek obsession and his i was hoping to start his collection by writing away for them ..... thanx :blush:

lynn.xx

i have never sent fanmail or autograph requests before but i would really love to send one for greys anatomy i have found to address but was wondering apart from a letter what to you send ie do you supply the photo, stamps for them to send it back (not sure with it being airmail) any help would be welcome thanks.

• Moderators

You can send your own items to be signed (photo, dvd cover etc), but there's no guarantee you'll get them signed or even get them back, so don't send anything valuable to you.

Most people will have an agency photo, or a show promo like from Grey's, so I wouldn't worry too much unless there's something very specific you'd like to have signed. Sometimes they'll send yours back unsigned, and send their own.

And yes, you'd have more chance of a reply if you pay for return postage - either get US stamps, International Reply Coupons, or just put a few $$$ in with an addressed envelope.

Edited by DavidB

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the bigger american shows (and some UK ones) have mass produced pre printed autographed photos which they'll send out. They're okay but not really ones for autograph collectors.

Most UK TV shows you can send autograph requests to the TV channel and occassionally the production company.

*edited - please don't post addresses on here, thank you*

Darren

Edited by DavidB

• Moderators

A lot of forums and collector sites do actually try to compile various lists of KNOWN secretarials and pre-prints etc, so it's quite useful. But it is known that many actors/actresses do definitely do their own fanmail, and it's not too risky.

I'll only ever get 8x10s signed - I wouldn't risk anything overly important.

A lot of forums and collector sites do actually try to compile various lists of KNOWN secretarials and pre-prints etc, so it's quite useful. But it is known that many actors/actresses do definitely do their own fanmail, and it's not too risky.

I'll only ever get 8x10s signed - I wouldn't risk anything overly important.

Oi Mister, found that address yet? lol

Ive never done this before but I would like to try it so can anyone tell me whats the best way to write the letter? :thumbup:

Be polite and brief - don't say that you collect autographs but praise the celeb in some way and be sure to mention some of their work. Enclose the cost of postage or an SAE and if possible something for them to sign even if it's an index card. Then stand back and wait...and wait and wait etc. Some people never reply, some reply within days and some take years. Try and put a return address on the outside of the envelope especially if writing via US agents as these change quite alot so your item will be returned to you with a reason normally printed on it. (normally not at this address!)

Bog standard letter from me for example would be..

Dear...........

I appreciate that you are very busy but thought I would write and tell you what a huge fan I am of you and your work. I particularly like..................(put some detail in here as to why you like it also) I'm looking forward to your next work............... (shows you are a fan of them rather than 1 thing they have done) Please can you spare the time to sign the enclosed item for me (please personalise it to me if you can). Thanks again and keep up the good work

Yours Faithfully etc etc

Hope this helps

Darren

Well I haven't got any recently through the post, but I'm still waiting for an autograph from Eva Longoria (from desperate housewives) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get something back. But if you're sending to another country it is best if you send International Reply Coupons to make it more likely of getting something back.