a 'star's view of cons

jael001

I've taken out all mentions of other conventions but this can be read in full here if anyone wants/needs

Last weekend, I went to Las Vegas for [cut] extravaganza. [cut]

As I’ve written before, I’ve been attending cons since I was a kid, and I’ve spent almost as much time standing in line to get autographs as I’ve spent sitting behind the table signing them. It’s given me a lot of perspective on why we go to cons, what makes cons good, what makes cons bad, and inspires me to do my very best to be a good guest when I’m invited.

I don’t go to nearly as many cons as I once did, but this summer I’ve appeared at more than usual, so making the convention experience awesome for fans has been on my mind. Here’s an incomplete list of things that have been on my mind this year:

Rule One: Conventions would not exist without fans.

I don’t know why this simple fact is so difficult for so many promoters and celebrity guests to understand: these people pay your fees and keep you in business. Jonathan Frakes bought his first house with money he earned at conventions. I’m putting my son through college the same way (well, first semester, anyway, we’ll do this one year at a time.) I know countless vendors who drive all over the country to sell their collectibles and crap (yes, there’s crap, and to suggest otherwise is, at best, disingenuous) to fans. We all have to understand that, without the fans who endure great expense and effort to come to the con, there is no con. Period.

Pay attention, promoters: you have no business without the fans who come to your shows. Don’t ever forget that, and respect them. I’ve personally watched promoters figure out that they could do something awesome for fans and earn nothing but goodwill for it, or alienate, exploit, and **** off fans to earn a dollar. Time and again, these people choose to earn the single dollar.

Rule Two: Conventions can not function without volunteers.

When you see a volunteer, thank them. They’re paying to be there just like you are, but they’re also volunteering their time to help make the convention run smoothly. Yes, some of them are power hungry jerks, but most of them are freely giving their time because they love the con and want to give something back to the community. They’re almost certainly being exploited by the convention promoter. They know this, and they do it anyway. The least we can do is thank them.

Rule Three: Respect your fellow fans.

Treat your fellow fans with kindness and respect, especially when you’re in line. Keep a deck of cards, some dice, or this awesome game called Pieces of Eight, and use them to make new friends. I had a lot of fun at [cut] this year while I waited in different lines (even the 90 minutes I waited to get into the [cut] panel, only to get cut off by about 40 people) because the people around me were so awesome, especially when we saw the kid dressed up as Link with his MILFtastic mom who was dressed up in a skin-tight spandex Poison Ivy costume and riffed on it:

“Hey, Danny, we’re having a costume party this weekend!â€

“Oh? Cool! Can I come?â€

“Actually, we were just going to invite your mom.â€

speaking of waiting in line, here is the most important note I can ever give my fellow fans: Take a pleasureing shower every day. If you get hot and sweaty in your costume (excuse me, uh, “uniformâ€) and it’s stinky, guess what? You don’t get to wear it until you’ve had it cleaned. If we can see the stink lines coming off of you when you walk into the con, we shouldn’t have to endure standing next to you for two hours while we wait in an autograph line.

Rule Four: A memo to celebrity guests who sign autographs.

If someone waits in line to meet you and get your autograph, give them a moment of your undivided attention, listen to what they have to say, and honor them. If you’re not willing to seriously interact with the people who are paying outrageous sums of money to see you, do us all a favor and don’t go. When I was at the [cut] last weekend, I heard horror story after horror story about people I consider close friends who simply didn’t treat fans well. I heard from one fan who waited in line for over an hour to meet a particular actor. When he finally got to the head of the line, this particular actor took a call on his/her/its cell phone, carelessly scrawled his/her/its signature with one hand, and didn’t even make eye contact with this fan who: waited in line forever, paid money to get into the con, and paid money for the autograph! As I’ve written before: It’s never about the autograph; it’s about the interaction. If you don’t get that, you shouldn’t be there. If you do get that and you still treat fans like they are nobodies on an assembly line, you’re an ass.

If you doubt how memorable and wonderful the autograph thing can be, witness this experience I had in Vegas while I signed autographs on Thursday:

A woman walked up to my table and carefully set down a cast photo from season three. Everyone else had signed it, even Patrick and Brent, who are incredibly difficult signatures to get.

"You're the last one," she said, eyes gleaming. "I've been carrying this around for ten years to all these conventions, and I can't believe I'm going to finally finish it!"

I signed it as carefully as I've ever signed anything, and when I finished, I looked up at her. Tears fell from her eyes.

"Thank you so much!" She said.

"Thank you," I said, "I'm honored that I got to be part of this moment."

It wasn't about the autograph, really. That 8x10, covered with eight different signatures in black and silver and gold ink represented a journey for her. I don't know what happened on the journey, but I was there for the end of it, and it was awesome.

Rule Five: Don’t be a d**k.

This one is for fans and promoters and celebrities alike. If you’re a promoter and you’re just doing whatever you can to separate the fans from their money, you’re a d**k. If you’re a guest and and you’re just there to take whatever money you can from the fans without giving them any of your time or energy, you’re a d**k. If you’re a fan, and you’re determined to be unhappy no matter what happens at the show, you’re also a d**k. There are always fans at conventions who will not be happy no matter what happens, and we’ve all seen them. I will never understand why someone will spend the time and money to go to a show just to be miserable and complain the entire time they are there, but they are certainly a square on convention bingo.

There was a time when the majority of conventions were essentially huge organized parties where fans could gather together, take over a hotel for a weekend, and celebrate the thing they loved, whether it was Star Trek, gaming, or just science fiction and fantasy in general. Somewhere in the last fifteen years or so, though, that began to change. Screening rooms where you could watch everything from a bootleg third generation VHS copy of Akira without subtitles to a Prisoner marathon were phased out in favor of more vendor space. Fans became segregated into “gold†and “silver†and “general admission†groups, with each getting different treatment and levels of access. Celebrity guests refused to pose for photos, and wouldn’t personalize their autographs. (I was once guilty of this, and I deeply regret it. I blame my youth, and I’ve been working to make up for it ever since). It was around 2001 that I noticed that most cons (certainly the [cut] cons) had become giant autograph shows, which was great for collectors, but pretty disappointing for everyone else. I know I’m tilting at windmills here, but I’d like to see less gouging of fans and more celebrating with fans. I’d like to see more fan-run cons like [cut], with organizers who put the fans first and only invite celebrity guests who have the same philosophy.

It doesn’t have to be all about squeezing every last dollar out of every last fan. In fact, that’s not why these things were started in the first place. Remember that this is supposed to be fun. We’re all here because we love [star Trek | Gaming | Battlestar | Buffy | Dressing up like characters from Naruto | Comics] and we want to celebrate it with our fellow fans. If we can meet someone responsible for helping create the object of our affection, it’s that much better. But it’s a fragile ecosystem, and a finite economy. If we all of us – fans, guests, and promoters – play a small part to care for it, we’ll have conventions to attend for years.

I say....bravo Wil!!!!!!

I've heard i few horror stories from the convention in question, mostly its from how the organisers handle things. I haven't a clue how they run but from what i heard, especially from the Star trek cons, many people usually are dissapointed, perhaps it shows since most of the ST only ones they run are no longer trek only and are now inculding other franchises, perhaps to draw more people to them. Heck even the london one, from what i heard isn't like a con at all

:YAHOO: I actually had heard some dodgy stories about Wil Wheaton at cons, so it's good to see that he acknowledges what he's done and why he now realises the effect this has. Wouldn't it be nice if it actually sunk in with those who need to have it sink in? :YAHOO:

Wow, what a great thing to read.

I have to say though, I think Showmasters are pretty good at trying to get what the fans want and not fleecing them in the process. I'm not asskissing cos I'm as broke as the rest of you due to them! But they do try and cater for all sorts of fans.

And here here on the showering, it's a small request, and hey, you might even enjoy it!!! :YAHOO:

I totally agree with what's been said.

I went to a con in 1993 where the "Gouge the Fans" attitude was fairly evident.

The dealer room was packed to the brim with collectables and trading cards and a lot of emphasis was taken off things like viewing rooms and taking over the hotel for the weekend.

I was so hacked off with the general poor quality as a result that I left a day early. Needless to say up until earlier this year I hadn't went back to a con as a result.

I'd love to see a con in my area again where the focus is as much on having fun than anything else.

Bring back the half dozen viewing rooms showing everything and anything.

Having had the opportunity to meet Will a few years ago at an event in America, I can say he is genuine to his word and does take time to talk to you and make the experience a good one.

And he is quite right in identifying how things have changed over the last few years and become cash cows first and a celebration of a show or a genre second.

We've all heard the Horror stories from various Cons (and in many cases the word Con has a double meaning !).

Personally, in recent years I would take my meets at Premieres or Stage doors as bigger highlights, and not least because a lot of these guys and gals are never going to do a Con or a signing show, but I still can't help getting just a little excited when each event comes along.

And lastly, we all have a part to play in making the day enjoyable, constant moaning does no one any good, so when you meet the celeb be pleasant to them to, chat a little, but don't out stay your welcome either, remember we all want a chance to meet them.

Sounds like my kinda guy :lol:

I just wish that all " Stars " would just take a bit more time with you even if its just looking at the photo they are about to sign ! And choosing carefully were to sign ! Even what colour pen to use !

Well done Wil for taking the time to look at that Lady's photo 10 years is a long old time and definitely a labour of love.

This reminds me of the very first time I met Robert Englund he made me feel as if I was the first person he met that day and not the umpteenth. I bet he's fed up with people shaking his " Glove " hand and when I said I couldn't believe I was shaking his " Glove hand " he just gave me a warm and friendly smile and laughed like Freddy oh sent a shiver down my spine I can tell you.

Edited by maduncledai

I wasn't really a fan of his character in TNG but it seems like Wil is a very nice guy. I'd definitely meet him if he comes to a Showmasters event one day.

I agree with everything he said, I remember especially the quote "it's not about the autograph, it's about the experience". At least, that is completely true for me. That's why I will check how things happen with Patrick before spending £25.

thanks for the post i especially liked the bit about the woman and her "journey" to meet everyone from TNG. Im starting my own Heroes one soon just hope it doesnt take ten years to finish

I'm planning on doing the same thing. I've bought a Heroes poster and I plan to get everyone to sign it :D