General Event Questions & Queries

I hope autographs arent the usual £15-£20

I dont mind paying this much at Collectormanias or LFACC, as they dont have an entry fee.

But as Eclipse has tickets priced between £78 and £195, I'd like to think autos would be £10 like other organisers conventions with entry fees

LFCC has an entry fee, as does Collectormania Gmex and the new Glasgow event, and the autographs are still the same price as at the free entry events. The conventions I've been to in the past have charged between £10 and £20 for an autograph.

Without naming names, a convention in the US coming up shortly is charging $50 per autograph for the main guests (and another $60 for photos with them), and that's on top of exorbitant convention tickets.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont mind paying this much at Collectormanias or LFACC, as they dont have an entry fee.

But as Eclipse has tickets priced between £78 and £195, I'd like to think autos would be £10 like other organisers conventions with entry fees

LFCC has an entry fee, as does Collectormania Gmex and the new Glasgow event

yes it has an entrance fee of £5 or £10 not a con ticket price of £78 ~ £195 :firedevil:

yes it has an entrance fee of £5 or £10 not a con ticket price of £78 ~ £195 :rolleyes:

you're right, but you simply can't compare a convention with a signing event, they're very different kinds of events.

yes it has an entrance fee of £5 or £10 not a con ticket price of £78 ~ £195 :rolleyes:

you're right, but you simply can't compare a convention with a signing event, they're very different kinds of events.

I thought that was the point that was being made anyway.

yes it has an entrance fee of £5 or £10 not a con ticket price of £78 ~ £195 :thumbup:

they are very different. but this is a convention not a signing so i think people were expecting con price autographs not signing price autos :YAHOO:

I agree with this viewpoint. Usually, at residential weekend conventions, where the ticket price is now typically £80+, a 10 by 8 - including getting it signed - is £10. Unless it's a really "big" name, like a famous movie star or something like that.

I can't wait to find out what 10 by 8s will cost at Eclipse!

Just wondering, will all the guests be signing in one room in the autograph sessions? I can't afford a hotel so I'm planning on coming up for just one day, and I know some organisers put all the guests in one room (IMO a better and quicker option), but some split the guests between two rooms and have them signing different numbers.

Thanks,

Jo

I agree with this viewpoint. Usually, at residential weekend conventions, where the ticket price is now typically £80+, a 10 by 8 - including getting it signed - is £10. Unless it's a really "big" name, like a famous movie star or something like that.

I think the difference at this event is that they've said in another thread that you can bring your own photos for the personal item. So at least you know that you can organise your own photos and get one signed by each guest for free. I won't be particularly impressed though if additional autographs are £20 each - it would make this an extremely expensive event when you've already paid £80 to get in and would set Eclipse apart from the rest of the convention marketr in the UK....and not in a good way! Signing event prices are fine at signing events but a convention is a whole different ball game and requires a different approach to pricing.

I think the difference at this event is that they've said in another thread that you can bring your own photos for the personal item.

You can do that at all other weekend conventions across the UK that charge £65 - £90 for entry fees and offer free autographs for all guests. There is ONE convention company that will only let you have your own 10x8s signed if they have an official show logo, but you can still get them signed as your personal item. The extra 10x8s at these events (and all others) are still only £10.

Jo

I think the difference at this event is that they've said in another thread that you can bring your own photos for the personal item. So at least you know that you can organise your own photos and get one signed by each guest for free.

And there's the point - at a signing event you would be paying £15 at least for Noah, and I'd be surprised if Zachary was less than £20, given that he's not only Heroes, but now also Spock. So a free autograph off of each one of them is already worth £35. If you then factor in say three other Heroes guests (and I wouldn't expect many if any Heroes guests to come in at less than £15 per autograph normally), then you are looking at £80 worth of free autographs vs. the £78 entrance fee, and that's before you factor in what you feel the value of the talks and parties are. The higher entrance fee is offset against the fact that most people attending will want an autograph off each guest attending. But we've got people here suggesting that if they then price EXTRA autographs, above and beyond the FREE ones, at the same price they'd be if you met these guests at a signing show, then somehow this is overpriced?

I won't be particularly impressed though if additional autographs are £20 each - it would make this an extremely expensive event when you've already paid £80 to get in and would set Eclipse apart from the rest of the convention marketr in the UK....and not in a good way! Signing event prices are fine at signing events but a convention is a whole different ball game and requires a different approach to pricing.

Yes, signing events are different from conventions. At a signing event the presumption is that the average attendee will only be interested in a small percentage of the overall guest line-up. Therefore you charge a minimal entry and charge for every single autograph, so that people are paying specifically and only for the people they personally want to meet. At a convention the presumption is that the average attendee is interested in most or all of the entire guest line-up. Therefore you charge a higher entrance, but can offset this against a set number of free autographs.

And there's the point - at a signing event you would be paying £15 at least for Noah, and I'd be surprised if Zachary was less than £20, given that he's not only Heroes, but now also Spock. So a free autograph off of each one of them is already worth £35. If you then factor in say three other Heroes guests (and I wouldn't expect many if any Heroes guests to come in at less than £15 per autograph normally), then you are looking at £80 worth of free autographs vs. the £78 entrance fee, and that's before you factor in what you feel the value of the talks and parties are. The higher entrance fee is offset against the fact that most people attending will want an autograph off each guest attending. But we've got people here suggesting that if they then price EXTRA autographs, above and beyond the FREE ones, at the same price they'd be if you met these guests at a signing show, then somehow this is overpriced?

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to what your point is? The comment about being overpriced comes when comparing the cost of additional autographs to those of other organisers. Normally (as has been said a few times) you can't compare other conventions with Showmasters events, because they aren't the same thing. Now, you can compare them, so if you pay more at Eclipse than you would at a rival, that would be a possible definition of over-priced.

Ultimately it comes down to basic supply and demand economics. If Showmasters put too high a price on additional autos, then fewer people will pay for them and they may get less revenue than if they charge a lower amount and EVERYONE gets another auto or two. From the comments that are being made, it seems like some people would be put off buying extra if the price was say £20.

Hi, this has probably already been answered but,

myself and my wife both would like to attend the event but would only want one set of autographs, would we still have to pay 2 full admission prices?

is there not a set price just for the entry?

Hi, this has probably already been answered but,

myself and my wife both would like to attend the event but would only want one set of autographs, would we still have to pay 2 full admission prices?

is there not a set price just for the entry?

no, you would still have to pay for 2 convention tickets? they might do a day ticket which would be cheaper, but i have'nt heard anything about it yet???

Yes, you will need to pay for two full admission tickets I'm afraid. At most full week end conventions like Eclipse (or Lockdown) the tickets automatically do come with the full set of autographs.

EDIT: As Lynn has said, some events do day tickets (but these often come with autographs as well) or economy tickets without autographs. But seeing Showmasters has only announced the two types of tickets (Gold and Standard) I kind of doubt that they will add more.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

From the comments that are being made, it seems like some people would be put off buying extra if the price was say £20.

Count me in on that. I'd be willing to get several additional autos from each guest if they're the standard convention rate of £10 per autograph, but I wouldn't get any if they were £20 a pop because I feel it's a rip off after paying £80 for a entry ticket. Instead I'd wait until they appeared at another event or place were I could get them free/cheaper.

It'd also put me off going to another convention run by the same group. I'd rather save my money and spend it on one of the other many conventions where I feel I'd get more value for my money.

£10 or £15, I hope we will be always so free to have an autograph on a real personnal item (personnal T-shirt, or personnal pictures). We have this liberty to do it at LFCC and Collectormania. But we have not always this liberty at some of conventions (i will not give example, not advertising !), where we can only have autograph on Official items... B)

I like so much the way sometimes i send messages... ;)