SPORTSMANIA ZONE AT LFACC

• Showmasters Admin

Hi everyone,

Following on from the success of our first dedicated Sportmania event in Milton Keynes at the end of June we have now added a Sportsmania zone at The London Film and Comic Con! :hathor:

We have some great guests to announce, and there will also be a varied selection of Sports dealers too!

We hope that many of you will enjoy this addition to the show, and look forward to seeing you there.

Mark :borg:

Hi everyone,

Following on from the success of our first dedicated Sportmania event in Milton Keynes at the end of June we have now added a Sportsmania zone at The London Film and Comic Con! :YAHOO:

We have some great guests to announce, and there will also be a varied selection of Sports dealers too!

We hope that many of you will enjoy this addition to the show, and look forward to seeing you there.

Mark :D

I'm confused. With Sportsmania only just passed, what is the link between these sporting celebrities and either Films or Comics?

• Moderators

It's an addition to the show, and they shouldn't feel the need to be restricted by the words FILM and COMIC - after all, for example, half of the guests are probably television ones anyway right? They're always popular!

We're simply seeing SMs expand LFACC every time, and it's a good opportunity to advertise Sportsmania to people that may not have considered going to a sports-only event, but could do in the future!

I know I'm still a relative newbie to the forums but I've been going to SM events for years. I'm not that happy about this latest development to be absolutely honest. These events are so different, I really dont see the appropriateness of having these guests or this event piggybacked onto LFCC. At least Television is actually associated with Film, since the stars are often in both, but sports is a completely different thing, which attracts a different sort of fan.

Obviously I'm biased because I have no interest whatsoever in sports but mixing Musicmania with LFCC may have been a better option (especially considering how few guests they have for Milton Keynes) because at least there is some correlation between music and movies.

Just my opinion.

but sports is a completely different thing, which attracts a different sort of fan.

Each paying up to a tenner a head to get in ......

I get your point, but that makes it good for SM but not necessarily good for the fans.

I don't think its a good idea because there is already so much going on, and people arn't made of money you know.

Who is going to be able to afford all these new sports guests that are going to be announced?

In my oppinion its just getting rediculus now. Yes I think sometimes you can have to much of a good thing.

As others have said, sportsmania has only just past and so what was the point of having a seperate sports event if your going to have a sportsmania section at LFACC?

:P

LLAP ;)

• Moderators

It's just an additional section though - you're getting something extra for your entrance money, and if you want to meet the sports guests then you can. You're not being forced to pay for something you don't want. People can budget for additional guests now as they always do.

Some fans may not have been able to go to Sportsmania, or couldn't afford everything they wanted if they did go etc. There's plenty of reasons why it's a good idea.

I don't see what negative effect it's going to have on anyone already attending for the other stuff. It's not comparable to another show with sports guests, as they've always had focus on sports and stalls etc, while LFACC has a VERY strong core guest lineup already. Same with the Star Wars stuff, none of it is being added at the expense of the usual things you'd expect.

As for suggesting MusicMania would be more appropriate? Not if it's the same/similar guests as the event itself - the Cheeky Girls are hardly any more relevant.

I`m extremely happy with this news. There is only one reason for my sister to go so far, Mark Wingett, which doesn`t justify the £20-40 we`re going to have to pay on bus and train fare getting there. You have to admit there`s no point paying that sort of money when there`s no-one you really want to meet, Mark Wingett is only a "maybe if she feels like it". So if this new zone were to include let`s say Wrestlers, mainly current or ex WWE ones, then she would have a real reason for wanting to go.

For example:

Rhyno

Edge

The Undertaker

Shawn Michaels

Billy Kidman

Brian Kendrick

Paul London

Any of these would be totally AWESOME!!!

Not sure about this, LFACC is packed enough as it is, without adding another 'zone'.

Why not concentrate on extending the comic part of it and have a 'comic zone'. It's always been lacking in that department anyway.

I know it gets a different type of fan through the door, but wasn't that what they were doing at Sportsmania? Catering for a different type of fan?

I'm not saying it's going to be awful and please don't flame me for my opinion, but I think the resource going into this could be much better directed towards a more t.v, film and comic theme.

Phi :firedevil:

I don't think its a good idea because there is already so much going on, and people arn't made of money you know.

Who is going to be able to afford all these new sports guests that are going to be announced?

Speak for yourself. If its too expensive for you that's not a reason why others in a better situation cant enjoy it. I dont agree with the sports addition either but I wouldnt say SM arent allowed to keep adding guests just cos I cant afford them all but yes, adding sports guests is a bit much. Edited by nicky

You can argue from now until doomsday as to whether this is a good addition, if it's being done for the money, whether film fans are different to sports fans but I personally do not like the idea and can not see any advantage of adding a sports section to an already succesful show, especially when, as the name suggests, it is a film and comic convention.

I, like many of you, attended the sportsmania event in MK and thoroughly enjoyed the laid back relaxed atmosphere and thought, whether rightly or wrongly only Mark will know, that for a first show that it was a great success.

Looking at the line up, from films and TV, that there would only be about four or five guests that I would like to see at this event which is unusual as normally there is only one or two max, where as at MK I met at least a dozen guests.

Who knows the reasoning behind this zone, but, hopefully it does not mean that this is going to be the way things go from now on, I prefer to have a totally seperate show dedicated to sports.

Mark can you please confirm that there will still be a seperate sports show, and that it will not be cobbled on to either LFCC or CM

Edited by lallen

I for one have no interest in sports (well except for icehockey :dance:) and sports guests (except maybe a few Vancouver Canucks players ;):borg:) but I guess maybe alot of people who come to the event as a family or with their son/daughter (as a taxi? :dance:) might be interested and it gives them summat ta do while waiting for family members who meet sci fi and tv/film/comic people :YAHOO:

sounds like an interesting addition but, as some one has said, I hope it won't become too much like Brum :hathor:

surfy sah xx

There's more Sports guests than Comic guests now, maybe it should be renamed London Film & Sports Con.

Hope you don't have a problem with this, I though you were all for sports guest being at the event. Though yes they are taking over a bit...

:D

LLAP :P

I though you were all for sports guest being at the event. Though yes they are taking over a bit...
No, it was that I'm all for SM announcing even more guests even if some people cant afford it as I'm sure there are others that can. It's only about 9 sports guests but then having a dedicated area i think is a bit much is all and out of place at a Film & Comic Con.