Too many Star Wars guests?

zebredy

hi guys,

I just want to say that I am a collector too, and if I thought that a guest was not who he said he was in the film I would go to the police as this would be fraud. Anybody trying this on is well out of order, and apart from the deceiving fans they would also be destroying any multi-signed items they autographed. So be assured that I would take very strong action against anybody trying this on at one of my shows.

I decided this year to go out and track down the Star Wars actors that people have been unable to find, and thanks to Graham, Mike and Dean we have been very succesful. Some of you may think "oh no, not another one", but I just want to say that most of these guests are getting older and most of them will only do one event. Remember, once upon a time people said this about Michael Sheard and John Hollis, and now sadly thay have pased on. Now there are many people out there who wished they could have see them. It's all a matter of time and opportunity.

So if you are ever going to care about meeting them then this is the time and the opportunity. Of course, if you do not care that's fine, but let those who do care be allowed to have these opportunities. The show is for everyone.

This year is a special year for Star Wars, and to spend it remembering the unknown and unacknowledged

people that helped make it happen is the right thing to do. And they enjoy themselves so much for one day talking to fans who appreciate the old stories thay have to tell and the contributions they made.

Well that's just my thoughts. I hope all of you have a good time.

Jason Joiner

Star Wars fan :hathor:

ps and the big guest we are still working on it its not dead :borg:

so we will see

jason

Well in terms of your point about fraud/going to the police, this rather assumes that you would have enough evidence to prove that they were not in one of the Star Wars films. The reality is that there are in some cases no actual documented proof publicly available to give a water-tight guarantee of their involvement in the films. There are even disputes between the extras/walk-on artistes about who actual played who in the various background scenes, which further adds complication to the debate.

Secondly, I think that it is extremely discourteous to their professional capabilities to compare the 'credited' performers Michael Sheard & John Hollis to those walk-on artistes hired for the show. Also, I'm sure that your guests are delighted at the fact that you wish them to attend your show because you and the fans want to get their autographs before they die.

Also, many of the walk-on artistes don't have any stories/details about their contributions. It was just one job (a day in some cases) amongst 1000s of TV & film productions. I overheard one walk-on artiste at a show talking about Star Wars and he was corrected by a fan who told him that it was a completely different film with a very different cast! What hope have we got?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair he never said anything about meeting actors before they die, more like a lot of these guys have now retired from acting and appearing at shows and so there is not as many chances to meet them now.

I think the point that was being made about Michael Sheard was that at one time if he or similar level guests were being announced there was often a "not him again" type response whereas now there seems to be a demand for actors like him again.

As for the point about the smaller actors having better stories to tell, its not always the case, just as its not always the case that bigger name actors are all miserable so and so's who wont even look at you when they're signing. It's just that sometimes the actors who were less busy with filming etc will have had a differnet perspective to what was going on on the set as opposed to those who were more taken up with performing a larger role.

The example I often think of is Richard LeParmentier, he probably was on screen for no more than 5 minutes but is always a good one to talk to and has some quite entertaining insights into the film he worked on from his own perspective.

To be fair he never said anything about meeting actors before they die, more like a lot of these guys have now retired from acting and appearing at shows and so there is not as many chances to meet them now.

I think the point that was being made about Michael Sheard was that at one time if he or similar level guests were being announced there was often a "not him again" type response whereas now there seems to be a demand for actors like him again.

As for the point about the smaller actors having better stories to tell, its not always the case, just as its not always the case that bigger name actors are all miserable so and so's who wont even look at you when they're signing. It's just that sometimes the actors who were less busy with filming etc will have had a differnet perspective to what was going on on the set as opposed to those who were more taken up with performing a larger role.

The example I often think of is Richard LeParmentier, he probably was on screen for no more than 5 minutes but is always a good one to talk to and has some quite entertaining insights into the film he worked on from his own perspective.

The George Lucas car on the driveway story is an example of LeParmentier's storytelling ability. I'm sure we've all heard that - at least twice :)

Some of you may think "oh no, not another one",Remember, once upon a time people said this about Michael Sheard and John Hollis,
At least they had some decent screen time and actually acted and werent just extras or in the background. Sheard was Adml Ozzell!

So hes not dead. That narrows it down abit ,
That's not what Jason meant. He meant, "the big guest: we are still working on it, it's not dead". He means the issue is not dead. But can see why you thought that given the punctuation.

you know what i dont care if the guest is dead , having a ghost turn up would be a right laugh, cant wait to see him pick up a pen.

Pretty much retired?! He's ALWAYS working :D
Oops, my bad. I just thought I heard it somewhere and he was doing less work but a lot of that stuff like Golden Compass and Stone of Destiny arent even listed on his imdb page.

Y

Well in terms of your point about fraud/going to the police, this rather assumes that you would have enough evidence to prove that they were not in one of the Star Wars films. The reality is that there are in some cases no actual documented proof publicly available to give a water-tight guarantee of their involvement in the films. There are even disputes between the extras/walk-on artistes about who actual played who in the various background scenes, which further adds complication to the debate.

As I understand it, Jason has access to documents that are not publicly available. The Joiner/Kurtz archive is reportedly very extensive.

Christopher Lee at another convention a few months back announced on stage (I was there) where he was singing (that's singing not signing :D ) that he wasn't interested in film any more and was looking forward to a career in music - not sure if that goes on to not doing signings for films either, but he seemed adamant that his film/tv side of his life was over and didn't want any film related questions. That made it hard because the singing bit before he he did his Q&A had a few "technical" faults and people didn't really know what to ask regarding his singing. Since it was also in French.

He's a great actor and I love what he has been in, but I think that con didn't make me feel I could approach him for a signature any time soon.

It won't be Ford - Talking to Maki at CE he said that he'd never do a signing event and would charge £200+ just to make sure he prices himself out!!

Likewise as said before - Portman won't do it (she's scared). McDiarmid won't do it (he literally legged it away from CE with a massive group follwing him - he was like the pied piper)

Ahmed Best doesn't and won't do shows (yet)

Apparently Anthony Daniels has an issue with SM

Hamill doesn't like signing he actually said this at CE saying he would rather do talks and photos and chat with fans hence why he made a surprise appearance in the fan club lounge.

Lucas - no way

McCallum - wouldn't like to charge for an autograph

Frank Oz - has never (to my knowledge) done a show but does sign through the post

likewise with John Williams and James Earl Jones.

Carrie on Tour

Billy Dee ?? - not the friendliest guest ever!

Hayden Christensen - a possibility is doing / has just done a signing in Canada but I think was quite pricey.

I believe Ewan Mcgregor was once listed as a guest at a London Show which got cancelled (remember seeing an ad many years ago) although this was really before he was famous.

Liam Neeson - doesn't sign Star Wars items anymore

Doesn't leave much does it??

Hayden Christensen has had to cancel the Canadian show due to filming, which may also rule him out for September too.

Ewan has just finished his bike tour and is currently on holiday, so a slight possibility but I doubt he'd do a show.

Of cause, maybe we shouldn't over-look the Ralph Brown announcement, lol.

From the Sequals i think it would be Hamill. I know he was at CE but maybe it gave showmasters an idea of the demand at such a high price?

From the Prequals i'm going to say Jake Lloyd as he's a rare signer now and has only done 1 signing over here

is billy dee williams or anthony daniels still not knocking around after CE?

Read dazzlerjames' long post of possible guests on the previous page.

How about Perninla August (would we even consider her a big SW guest?) or even Terence Stamp?

Edited by nicky

Pernilla August would be cool and probably not that expensive to fly over from Sweden. tem Morrison would be good but has done a couple of events before.

Maybe Jake Lloyd as I know he cancelled last time.

Who Knows?? (well apart from Jason I guess!)

he's not exactly a big name, he'd be very popular none the less.
Hmm SM said it was a big guest so do they mean a big guest in general or one that would only be big to SW fans?

I suppose he'd kind of fit in the with direction SM have gone in with the SW guests for this show, ie he is a rare guest, playing a significant character but at the same time doesn't have much in the way of screen time. Also I believe Showmasters said something in an earlier post about one of the sticking points being how they could promote his attendance, seems that could be an area of contention from someone whose never seemed very keen to do conventions in the past.

the longer they leave it quite possibly less and less people will know im guessing...imagine checking the forums the night before having harrison ford announced :dance:

You wish...

Actually even though he doesn't have any SW autos, my fiance would certainly be up for meeting him.

Stranger things have happend, you never now (oh who am I trying to kid)

:YAHOO:

LLAP :YAHOO: