Too many Star Wars guests?

zebredy

• Moderators

I know this post is going to be unpopular, but here goes....

I'm aware that some Star Wars fans are going to be delighted by the line-up of extras and walk-on artistes, but does anyone else think that this whole business is exploitative. In some cases there are no actual proof that these performers ever appeared in the films (much to the annoyance of those actors who were credited). There are claims of documents or inside knowledge about making the films - but how easy could it be to fabricate an involvement in a film that you worked on 30 years ago. I also think that Star Wars fans' desire to obtain autographs from every single walk-on artiste associated with the films is verging on an obsessive compulsion for completion. An completion that will never be achieved - as so many people who worked on the films passed away before fandom had been launched. I was also wondering if the performers were aware that they are feeding into this compulsion. An actor chum of mine (with 30 years experience in TV, film, Theatre) was horrified by the fact that these walk-on artistes were charging £10/15 per time for their autograph and felt it was pure exploitation.

I certainly understand what you're saying - but in a way, I think it can often be true of other fandoms as well, though evidently Star Wars is at the forefront at LFACC - and probably is the most extreme case out there. I've never really had interest in paying that money for background 'stars' or 'someone who was in a deleted scene on a DVD' etc no matter what they're from. However, as long as there are hardcore fans/autograph collectors out there aka 'completists' then I can't see it stopping.

If the demand is there, and it doesn't cost much to get the guests to these events, then it will continue. As for documents and fabrications etc, I think the one thing we can be sure Jason Joiner knows about is Star Wars - whether his own knowledge, or many contacts etc, I'm sure he does check these all out to the best of his abilities. That'll be enough for some, and not for others.

As for whether the £10-15 is justified - well, there are some that wouldn't pay for any autograph from ANYONE, so that's a debate that goes on and on without any real ending. It all comes down to personal preference.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope its someone from the originals, please James Earl or john williams. Come on someone must know something. stu
SM already said in that post on the first page that they had a "yes" from the guest but were waiting to get a promoter...just relax - I'd rather they were confirmed rather than get excited and then disappointed for nothing cos they couldnt make it after all.

I think it could be Christopher Lee seeing as he had to cancel last time. I dont think there's a chance of James Earl Jones or John Williams - I'm sure neither of them wanna be tied to just Star Wars.

You could say the same for Lee though - and I'm pretty sure that he's not purely associated to SW - he'd be popular for fans of Horror, Bond, LOTR, and general movies.

Despite his extensive resume, JEJ is probably more known for Darth Vader than his other work - I don't think people necessarily think of Count Dooku when they think of Christopher Lee.

So, who could this biggy be then? A list of possibilities:

Christopher Lee

James Earl Jones

Liam Neeson (friends with Bill Nighy)

Hayden Christensen

Frank Oz

John Williams

Mark Hamill

Rick McCallum

Iain McDiarmid

I can't think of any other big SW names that would possibly do this kind of thing. I'm pretty sure Lucas, Ford, Portman, McGregor and Jackson are off limits to this kind of event....

You could say the same for Lee though - and I'm pretty sure that he's not purely associated to SW - he'd be popular for fans of Horror, Bond, LOTR, and general movies.

Despite his extensive resume, JEJ is probably more known for Darth Vader than his other work - I don't think people necessarily think of Count Dooku when they think of Christopher Lee.

So, who could this biggy be then? A list of possibilities:

Christopher Lee

James Earl Jones

Liam Neeson (friends with Bill Nighy)

Hayden Christensen

Frank Oz

John Williams

Mark Hamill

Rick McCallum

Iain McDiarmid

Yes, I know what you mean about Christopher Lee, I just said that cos: he'd previously cancelled, isn't working so much now and lives in England.

JEJ to me is King Joffy Joffer, Ruler of Zamunda in Coming To America (1988) first and foremost!!

From your list of possibilities I'd say McDiarmid is most likely and McCallum too though I for one have no interest in the producer of the prequels, Gary Kurtz had appeal cos he did the originals and whereas the prequels are just s*** in comparison.

Edited by nicky

I'm just thinking along the lines of 30th anniversary of ANH though - and it would make sense to have someone from that film, so I do hope it is JEJ or Williams - hell, even Hamill would be good again following CE - would quite happily queue and pay to meet him again.

Do we think Ford is totally out of the equasion?- he did that Topps thing recently and I know that Derek Maki now has him on his books. How cool would it be if they could manage to get Ford over - even just for a few hours - no posed photos, no dedications type thing!?!

Edited by Darth_Owl

Do we think Ford is totally out of the equasion?- he did that Topps thing recently and I know that Derek Maki now has him on his books.
He IS out of the question. Those signed Topps, Millenium Falcon and posters thing he did for Derek Maki was a mail order thing only, nobody actually got to meet him and it was very expensive and available to limited numbers and some of it went to charity.

Do we think Ford is totally out of the equasion?- he did that Topps thing recently and I know that Derek Maki now has him on his books.
He IS out of the question. Those signed Topps, Millenium Falcon and posters thing he did for Derek Maki was a mail order thing only, nobody actually got to meet him and it was very expensive and available to limited numbers and some of it went to charity.

But surely there's a first time for everything!

That said, he's probably busy filming right now.

But surely there's a first time for everything!

That said, he's probably busy filming right now.

Ford is definatly out of the question, and for that matter so is mcdairmid , portman thinks star wars fans are nuts . So for me JEJ or john Williams and sir Lee have got to be favourite, but didnt hayden do a signing somewhere in the states of recent. stu

I'm pretty certain it will be someone who is only known mostly for SW and not an "across the board" actor as they dont like to be tied to the one franchise.

So, on the back of that comment - presuming it's a correct inkling, I'd say it's got to be Hamill.

I'm pretty certain it will be someone who is only known mostly for SW and not an "across the board" actor as they dont like to be tied to the one franchise.

So, on the back of that comment - presuming it's a correct inkling, I'd say it's got to be Hamill.

Lets not go down thst road again , Now Mark Hamill is a lovely geezer but whats the point in bringing someone who did a show a month ago. Do you see any of the other guests of CE at this event . The whole point is to bring in people others havent. stu

Well, I'm speculating that it would make sense for a big SW guest to be from ANH seeing that it is the 30th anniversary. Carrie can't do anything this year because of her tour, Lucas is involved with shooting for Indiana Jones, and the general concensus is that Williams and Jones wouldn't want to appear as "Star Wars guests". So, who else is there from the "headliners" from ANH that would be feasable? I can't think of any other than Hamill.

That said, if it is just a SW guest of no fixed episode, then my list of suggestions is in one of the posts above.

And as for the point in bringing Hamill back - well there were probably a number of fans who didn't attend CE for one reason or another that will attend LFACC. There will also be those who did attend, but couldn't afford the £85 - or chose not to pay the £85. Then there are the others who did shell out the £85 but would happily get more things signed (remember we were limited to two sigs at CE).

The demand for Mark Hamill would still be high.

That said, he wouldn't be top of my list if it were up to me to choose a Star Wars guest for LFACC - just think it'd be more appropriate to have a guest associated with ANH than any of the other films in relation to the anniversary.

How about frank oz , i know its the 30 year thing but maybe were reading to much into it . I will say it again John Williams would be great . He could be getting a day off from abbey rd doing the new score for the indi film. Who knows , stu

Well, I'm speculating that it would make sense for a big SW guest to be from ANH seeing that it is the 30th anniversary.
Dude, I really dont think SM are thinking about it that way. The way things go this is being marketed as "30 yrs of Star Wars in general", not "ANH is 30". SM will get whatever big guest they can find, they wont limit themselves to ANH as that's just too hard on them and rather anal or perectionist even.

If its a big SW guest then its likely a major/significant player from one of the 6 films. It might even be Billy Dee Williams again or Anthony Daniels or like I said Christopher Lee as he cancelled last time (plus he lives in England and is pretty much retired).

Edited by nicky

I tend to concentrate on A New Hope guests because I have a New Hope poster I like to get signed when i can.

To be honest aside from the impossibles i.e. Cushing and Guinness, the highly unlikelies, i.e. Lucas and Ford to the pretty unlikelies John Williams, James Earl Jones, there's not that many specific New Hope guests left. I think Maki has already said Fisher isn't coming back to the UK this side of Christmas, Hamill from what I'm told isn't a great fan of signings and lets be fair for whatever way you look at it, CE probably didn't do a lot to change his opinion.

From that point of view it would seem reasonable to say that if it is going to be what most would consider a "big guest" it unlikely to be someone specifically from a New Hope.

I'm going to say Anthony Daniels though hoping for James Earl Jones!

it would seem reasonable to say that if it is going to be what most would consider a "big guest" it unlikely to be someone specifically from a New Hope.
I agree it wont be someone from ANH, it'll just be whoever SM can get. How about Ahmed Best?

it would seem reasonable to say that if it is going to be what most would consider a "big guest" it unlikely to be someone specifically from a New Hope.
I agree it wont be someone from ANH, it'll just be whoever SM can get. How about Ahmed Best?

Don't even joke about it, someone might think your serious and end up getting him to come along!

• Showmasters Admin

hi guys,

I just want to say that I am a collector too, and if I thought that a guest was not who he said he was in the film I would go to the police as this would be fraud. Anybody trying this on is well out of order, and apart from the deceiving fans they would also be destroying any multi-signed items they autographed. So be assured that I would take very strong action against anybody trying this on at one of my shows.

I decided this year to go out and track down the Star Wars actors that people have been unable to find, and thanks to Graham, Mike and Dean we have been very succesful. Some of you may think "oh no, not another one", but I just want to say that most of these guests are getting older and most of them will only do one event. Remember, once upon a time people said this about Michael Sheard and John Hollis, and now sadly thay have pased on. Now there are many people out there who wished they could have see them. It's all a matter of time and opportunity.

So if you are ever going to care about meeting them then this is the time and the opportunity. Of course, if you do not care that's fine, but let those who do care be allowed to have these opportunities. The show is for everyone.

This year is a special year for Star Wars, and to spend it remembering the unknown and unacknowledged

people that helped make it happen is the right thing to do. And they enjoy themselves so much for one day talking to fans who appreciate the old stories thay have to tell and the contributions they made.

Well that's just my thoughts. I hope all of you have a good time.

Jason Joiner

Star Wars fan ;)

ps and the big guest we are still working on it its not dead :D

so we will see

jason

like I said Christopher Lee as he cancelled last time (plus he lives in England and is pretty much retired).

Pretty much retired?! He's ALWAYS working :hathor:

The Golden Compass

23 Jul 2007 - 19:10

Mr. Lee is starring in 'The Golden Compass' with Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Kevin Bacon, John Hurt, Eric Bana and Sam Elliott.

The movie is to be released in December 2007.

Stone of Destiny

23 Jul 2007 - 19:00

Mr. Lee is staring in the movie 'Stone of Destiny' with Robert Carlyle and Brenda Fricker.

The Colour of Magic

18 Jul 2007 - 19:01

Mr. Lee has completed working on a 2 part TV movie written by Terry Pratchett titled 'The Colour of Magic'. He plays the character "Death". More information to follow...

The Children of Hurin

18 Jul 2007 - 18:54

Mr. Lee has just finished his work on 'The Children of Hurin'. The book was started by JJR Tolkien in the 1920's and completed recently by hs granson Christopher Tolkien. Mr. Lee spent 5 days narrating this audio book for Harper Collins.

Yep, that's the news on an official website of someone who's pretty much retired! lol

Some of you may think "oh no, not another one",Remember, once upon a time people said this about Michael Sheard and John Hollis,
At least they had some decent screen time and actually acted and werent just extras or in the background. Sheard was Adml Ozzell!

So hes not dead. That narrows it down abit ,
That's not what Jason meant. He meant, "the big guest: we are still working on it, it's not dead". He means the issue is not dead. But can see why you thought that given the punctuation.

Pretty much retired?! He's ALWAYS working :hathor:
Oops, my bad. I just thought I heard it somewhere and he was doing less work but a lot of that stuff like Golden Compass and Stone of Destiny arent even listed on his imdb page.

Some of you may think "oh no, not another one",Remember, once upon a time people said this about Michael Sheard and John Hollis,
At least they had some decent screen time and actually acted and werent just extras or in the background. Sheard was Adml Ozzell!

Thats why there are completists collectors. Not every guest is for every fan. And beyond that, those "small" guests can have great or interesting stories to tell, sometimes more than a bigger character.

Just thinking about Christopher Lee and I reckon another show may be more suitable for him - in terms of venue and the comfort that may bring in comparison to a big busy exhibition centre. Plus he's just done that Children of Hurin thingy as well.