Too many Star Wars guests?

zebredy

Not being a big Star Wars fan (though don't get me wrong the shows were quite good) I just wanted to know what people thought about the amount of Star Wars guest going to this event, and the fact that they are still announcing even more SW guests.

I suppose I see it that everytime I see a new guests announced I know that if its a SW guest, it means less money I'm going to have to spend at LFACC this time round. But this will be the second SMs event in a row that I'm going to where there are fewer then 4 guests I want to see

But how many SW guest is enough?

I would like to know what you SW fans think - Is there too many going and you feel they should quit while there ahead, or is it the more they get the happier you will be, kinda thing.

And for those that arn't into SW - again is there too many going, or are you happy there are so many guests going you don't wan't to see, because if you did want to see them you don't know how you'd be able to afford them.

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, but that thread's been closed, David, so nobody can add onto it, right? :hathor:

Personally, I don't have the slightest interest in Star Wars, so I'm kind of relieved that there are so many guests I'm not interested in meeting-- means I can get photo sessions with Torri *and* Mary instead of having to save my cash for other autographs. :)

I do like Star Wars myself, but this looks like SM are sticking their tongues out at the other event. And although there will be plenty to point out that it isn't true, I can't help but feel that the bigger names are more expensive this time to pay for the whole load of guests that will have hardly anything to do all day...

I'm a huge fan of Star Wars - and a collector of SW autographs.

I'm happy with the majority of the line-up - especially those rarer one line type guests.

However, I'll never pay for the pleasure of meeting someone who is nothing more than a Cantina Patron/Stormtrooper/Rebel in the background. I just don't see the point. And from that perspective, I'd argue that perhaps SM have too many of those type of guest. However, that is only my opinion and I know that there are collectors out there who are happy to pay for the privellege of meeting that type of guest and add them to their collection.

At present, I'll be meeting:

Christopher Malcolm

Al Lampert

Gary Kurtz

John Forgeham

Bronagh Gallagher

And possibly Kenny Baker and Ray Park again.

I guess it comes down to the same old point, at the end of the day if Daniel Craig, Ian McKellan, The Shatner, Viggo Mortenson etc phoned up Showmasters and said they were desperate to attend then I doubt they would be turned away on the basis that John Forgeham has taken up the last table in the signing area!

As for the prices being pushed up for the other guests, I don't really agree with that. Many of the top end price guests for this show are either fairly rare or first time signers. Maybe there are more £20-£25 guests this time round but personally I think this is the strongest guest line up I have ever seen at a UK event.

The other thing to remember is this is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars so it was bound to be marked in some way, maybe this is a slightly different way then getting one big name in then some smaller ones around it, but the other event has alreadyhad the biggest name in terms of Star Wars actors so I suppose Showmasters had to do something different.

And to be be blunt as others have said, if you don't like them, don't meet them!

• Moderators

... personally I think this is the strongest guest line up I have ever seen at a UK event.

I think that's the key thing for me anyway. It's probably going to be the most I've ever spent at an event.

I don't like Star Wars, and have no interest in meeting all those guests, but I know they're not there at the expense of having loads of other guests. We realistically wouldn't be getting another 15-20 other guests instead of Star Wars ones.

It's just like at Collectormania if we ever have a reunion.

If the 'main' section of guests was lacking because of too many SW guests, I'd be disappointed myself, but lacking is the last word I'd use to describe the lineup.

Spot on DavidB - SM have really delivered a wide range of quality guests this time. With any luck, this is a sign of things to come.

Would be nice if they could branch out and bring a Film and Comic Con to the north - preferably Sheffield (4th largest city in the country) :D

Edited by Darth_Owl

I suspect the guests will be very cheap (possibly paid a parft of the signing revenue and not paid a basic fee) and there's loads of room at the bigger Earls Court site, so even though I'm not interested in them as guests, I don't really care how many there are.

The more star wars guests the better :hathor: I don't want to meet them but someone in the US is going to send me his poster and give me £2.50 profit for everry auto i pick up for him. I must be getting somewhere around £50 so far which will get me a load of free autos :borg:

Any body now anythng about this major guest from star wars at LFCC , I read somewhere they were waiting on confirmation . stu

Where did you read this?

Mate i cant remember where , but i definatly read it , also when they said this is the last of the supporting actors , it sort of insinuating something.

Any body now anythng about this major guest from star wars at LFCC , I read somewhere they were waiting on confirmation . stu

yeah i was hoping for some enlightenment on that front! Didn't they say something on the lines that they'd practically sorted it but were waiting for the go ahead from their people to announce it? Well that's what i remember anyway

yeah i was hoping for some enlightenment on that front! Didn't they say something on the lines that they'd practically sorted it but were waiting for the go ahead from their people to announce it? Well that's what i remember anyway

Who said it?

• Moderators

From the Marolyn Turk topic:

yes we are working on one :(

we will see, we just have a yes from the guest that they will do it but not a go a head to promote yet

so we will have to see

sorry i want to get it up on the site as well asap :wub:

jason

That's all I can find ..

From the Marolyn Turk topic:

yes we are working on one :D

we will see, we just have a yes from the guest that they will do it but not a go a head to promote yet

so we will have to see

sorry i want to get it up on the site as well asap :hathor:

jason

That's all I can find ..

oooh im all excited now :borg:

wonder who it could be? cast your guesses now...!

natalie portman? i can dream cant i :poki:

There's no such thing as being too many Star Wars guests :borg:

I look forward to finding out who the big guest is :hathor:

I hope its someone from the origionals , please James Earl or john williams . Come on someone must know something . stu

I am a big Star Wars fan, but not so big collector of autographs. If it were the case that having SW actors meant that actors from other series didn't attend, then I'd agree it's not great for you. Is there any proof that is the case?

However, this year is the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars: A New Hope, it's great to see so many actors attending this event, because not all of them got the chance at other events in the UK this year, and it's their year as much as Heroes and other great TV shows.

I personally don't attend these shows for the autographs, I come along with the fan group I am part of (and on ocassion where we are allowed help promote that fan group). It's about meeting fans of the same stuff that I am into. And maybe chat with some of the actors that I know a little from my time with the New York City Fan Force, and UK based one. Last LFCC I attended was a great experience, hope this one will be too.

I know this post is going to be unpopular, but here goes....

I'm aware that some Star Wars fans are going to be delighted by the line-up of extras and walk-on artistes, but does anyone else think that this whole business is exploitative. In some cases there are no actual proof that these performers ever appeared in the films (much to the annoyance of those actors who were credited). There are claims of documents or inside knowledge about making the films - but how easy could it be to fabricate an involvement in a film that you worked on 30 years ago. I also think that Star Wars fans' desire to obtain autographs from every single walk-on artiste associated with the films is verging on an obsessive compulsion for completion. An completion that will never be achieved - as so many people who worked on the films passed away before fandom had been launched. I was also wondering if the performers were aware that they are feeding into this compulsion. An actor chum of mine (with 30 years experience in TV, film, Theatre) was horrified by the fact that these walk-on artistes were charging £10/15 per time for their autograph and felt it was pure exploitation.

I know this post is going to be unpopular, but here goes....

I'm aware that some Star Wars fans are going to be delighted by the line-up of extras and walk-on artistes, but does anyone else think that this whole business is exploitative. In some cases there are no actual proof that these performers ever appeared in the films (much to the annoyance of those actors who were credited). There are claims of documents or inside knowledge about making the films - but how easy could it be to fabricate an involvement in a film that you worked on 30 years ago. I also think that Star Wars fans' desire to obtain autographs from every single walk-on artiste associated with the films is verging on an obsessive compulsion for completion. An completion that will never be achieved - as so many people who worked on the films passed away before fandom had been launched. I was also wondering if the performers were aware that they are feeding into this compulsion. An actor chum of mine (with 30 years experience in TV, film, Theatre) was horrified by the fact that these walk-on artistes were charging £10/15 per time for their autograph and felt it was pure exploitation.

I agree with pretty much all of that - and it's the reason that I don't bother with Stormtrooper/Biker Scout/Rebel Soldier/Cantina Patron types. And your actor chum is 100% correct - but you'll notice that the majority of the walk on guys just aren't all that busy at events. I don't think I saw one person at "Lightning Bear's" table throughout the 3 days spend at CE (and I spent a fair bit of time in the autograph hall there). Likewise, at other recent events there have been people who played an alien in the cantina, or a Naboo solider or a senator that I've seen looking very, very bored.

I hope its someone from the originals, please James Earl or john williams. Come on someone must know something. stu
SM already said in that post on the first page that they had a "yes" from the guest but were waiting to get a promoter...just relax - I'd rather they were confirmed rather than get excited and then disappointed for nothing cos they couldnt make it after all.

I think it could be Christopher Lee seeing as he had to cancel last time. I dont think there's a chance of James Earl Jones or John Williams - I'm sure neither of them wanna be tied to just Star Wars.