What did you think of Book 7?

rainbowsparkle

I think Neville got the sword the same way Harry did in CoS. Also, Harry's eyes being so like Lily's were the only thing that kept Snape protecting him all those years and the last thing he wanted to see at the end...

I can't believe nobody's mentioned FRED!!!!!! Seriously, the other deaths have nothing on that one! I know it wasn't a particularly outstanding death the way that it happened but I swear I'll never forgive JK for killing off one of the twins!!! It's just wrong! The Weasleys were meant to all live happily ever after - what will George do now? I think I could have coped better if they'd both gone but just the one - totally and unnecessarily cruel in my opinion, to the characters and the readers. I don't think I'll ever be able to read the books again knowing what I know now about the fate of those characters and I don't know if I'll be able to watch it as a movie either :D

Actually, I think a lot of what happened in the book was unnecessary and just put there for reaction's sake, without adding to the story at all.

Favourite quote - McGonagall: " He has, to use the common phrase, done a bunk." :YAHOO:

Someone on here got the thing about Harry being a horcrux after book 6 came out - who was it? Are you still here? You were damn good, to get that!!! I have to say, once you'd mentioned your theories I couldn't help but agree and I'm really pleased you got so close. I never twig stuff like that! :dance:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying for ages that Harry would be a horcrux.

That McGonagall quote was ace!!!

I was gutted about Tonks/Lupin/George though. =[

V sad.

I was so sure Harry was going to cop it too!

But the Snape thing totally shocked me! I was set on him being evil. He turned out to be quite the hero after all!

Someone on here got the thing about Harry being a horcrux after book 6 came out - who was it? Are you still here? You were damn good, to get that!!! I have to say, once you'd mentioned your theories I couldn't help but agree and I'm really pleased you got so close. I never twig stuff like that! :D

I think I did!

Don't know if I was the first here to say it, but I definately felt it had to be true - in almost exactly the right way too :)

Snape was always going to turn out to be good - or Dumbledore was a fool, and I don't think JK would have done that.

I wanted Draco to turn to the light side too though - and I have no idea why.

Did anyone else feel that Draco's henchman biting it may or may not have had anything to do with the young feller what played him in the films get caught being naughty? ;-)

Also... I can't wait to speak to Matt Lewis next time he's at an event, he's got a hell of a lot of preparation to do to nail that "DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY!" line at the end :)

i suggested harry was a horcrux too. i was so sure of it. it was one of the first things i thought after i finished hbp. and people were so dead set against the idea. tut!

i loved the book! was amazing. apart from the epilogue. it was just kind of weak and made me wish that harry had died after all.

the most upsetting bit for me was the whole of "the forest again" chapter. i was so convinced that harry was going to live that when i found out he was a horcrux and that dumblediore had planned it that way all along i was completly gutted.

i cried so much as harry walked to the forest. he was so brave, much braver than i could ever be. the way he walks on even though he doesnt want to die. they way he glances at the people he loves but he doesnt approach them because he fears he will not be able to do what he has set out to do. how his heart is described as beating so fast it was as if it was trying tobeat as much as it coudl before the end, liek it knew what was coming. and of course when he used the resurrection stone and met his parents!

Lilys smile was widest of all. she pushed her long hair back as she drew close to him, and her green eyes, so like his, searched his face hungrily as though she would never be able to look at him enough.

"you have been so brave."

He could not speak. His eyes feasted on her, and he thought that he would like to stand and look at her forever, and that would be enough.

"you're nearly there," said James. "very close. We are... so very proud of you."

"Does it hurt?"

The childish question had fallen from Harry's lips before he could stop it.

"Dying? not at all," Said Sirius. "Quicker and easier than falling asleep."

*bawls* my heart bled!

=x=

Edited by wiccawise21

I agree that Fred was totally unnessecary. I've no idea why she did it. There was just no need. Poor George. If any of the Weasleys were to die it should have been Percy, the twit.

I thought Harry was a horcrux after HBP too. It was sad though that Dumbledore knew and had planned. The poor guy, sending Harry on his way.

I think that Forest Again chapter is amazing as well, and agree with what wiccawise said.

I also feel the epilogue was a bit meh. It's cool that Harry gets what he's always wanted and the kids are cool and it's a funny little thing; "I can't give a professor love!" But I needed more. As you've all said, what do they do now? What happened straight after.

I've already started my own fanfic about what happens directly after, so you see everyone grieve and where Harry goes, and him choosing his career path. I think they'll be many many many fics from people saying what they think. And I'll choose my favourite and believe that that's what happened.

I just wish we REALLY knew, you know?

I agree that Fred was totally unnessecary. I've no idea why she did it. There was just no need. Poor George. If any of the Weasleys were to die it should have been Percy, the twit.

I have to admit, I did find myself thinking that Percy would have been an easier loss to take. I feel sick every time I think about that bit of the story. It was so utterly pointless and not just in the way Harry would have thought the deaths were pointless.

In fact, IMHO the only deaths which moved the story on were those of Scrimgeour and Snape (and Voldy of course). I know it could be argued that there will always be casualties and fatalities in a war but you know, as the author, you've got to pick 'em carefully if you don't want to alienate people!!!! I think killing Fred was a BIG mistake. Okay, so it seemed to bring home to Harry the seriousness of it but I think the deaths of Lupin, Tonks and Colin Creevey would have done that! Overkill!!!! I'll shut up about it now lol for a while, anyway.

I don't think that JK would allow the actors' behaviour to direct the plot of the book, but it did cross my mind that she chose some characters deliberately because of their popularity, and I'm not really talking about the popularity of the actors. The book characters of Fred and Lupin were extremely popular, as was Sirius and we all know what happened to him! In a way, it makes sense - if you want to hit where it hurts, choose a character who's loved. Just don't make it one of a pair of close and popular twins otherwise it will just feel wrong and unfinished. Well, that's how I feel about it lol.

I liked the forest chapter too, and the showdown at the end. That bit was amazing - by far the best part of the book! But what I would like to know is:

1. What did Lily and James do for a living and where did they get all their money (unless it was an inheritance from the Peverells as someone suggested elsewhere)

2. How did they thrice defy Voldemort?

3. How did the deatheaters know to watch the space between 11 and 13 Grimmauld Place? They've either been told about number 12 or they haven't and if they have, they'll be able to see the house and if they haven't, how do they know there's supposed to be something there? Or does it depend who told them?

4. Is Harry an auror or a quidditch player or something else?

5. What's become of Weasleys Wizard Wheezes?

I could go on...

I also think Fred was unnecessary. As someone else said - I would rather they both died than just one. I couldn't stop crying and then Lupin on top of it! Two characters I completely love.

I think it was *(prepares for backlash!)* lazy writing in some ways towards the end - not telling us what happened to Lupin, Tonks or anyone else. I really wanted Lupin to kill Greyback.

I also think Molly should have killed Bellatrix in protection of Ron rather than Ginny!

I needed something extra between Ron & Hermione, and Harry & Ginny. The 19 years later was not enough. I needed the aftermath, then 2 months later and then the 19 years later. Just the 19 years later, has almost left me with more questions than answers.

Also I understand that Snape was trying to protect harry - that it was all arranged by Dumbledore etc, but that still doesn't excuse the bad things that happened at Hogwarts, letting the Carrow's torture students and being present at deaths including Burbage's.

and I the whole Trace thing really really bugs me. If there was such a thing as a Trace then they would have known it was Dobby doing magic rather than Harry in COS!!:YAHOO:

• Showmasters Admin

Someone on here got the thing about Harry being a horcrux after book 6 came out - who was it? Are you still here? You were damn good, to get that!!! I have to say, once you'd mentioned your theories I couldn't help but agree and I'm really pleased you got so close. I never twig stuff like that! :YAHOO:

That was me!!! Oh, and how self righteous was I when I found out I was right! Such a smug git! :P

Overall I loved the book. It was only the epilogue that really annoyed me (it just felt like a piece of mediocre fan fic and wasn't really necessary), and Harry's arguement with Lupin which seemed a bit out of character. I would also liked to have seen more made of the death of Tonks and Lupin, seen them die like heroes rather than just in some unknown way. Oh, and Jason would have liked to have seen owls sent to Durmstrang and Beaubaton when the siege started and wizards from across the globe coming to their aid. Viktor Krum really wasn't any more than a plot device in this book.

But other than that I really enjoyed the book. It answered all the questions I had and confirmed a few suspicions. The plot was full of twists and turns (unlike OOP and even HBP) and there was plenty to keep me gripped. ALthough it was complicated it was also well explained so you weren't left feeling lost and confused (still not quite sure what the point of the stone was though!). It was nice to see Harry finally grow up and become an adult, take responsibility for his actions and of his own destiny. It was also nice to see the other people taking their places as important characters (yay, Neville and Luna! And Dean!)

Now I want to see what they do with the film! Although OOP was a thick book, there wasn't a huge amount of plot so it was possible (if annoying!) to cut out huge chunks of it to turn it into a 2hr film. But there's not much to cut out of this one!

Andrea

what happened to the dursleys? what happened to the malfoys? rest of the death eaters? neville n sword was not really explained. did Harry get custody of Ted? did george carry on with the shop? who was new head of hogwarts? did they go back and do their NEWTS? what house did James get into in epilouge? they dont mention it do they? was he a seeker like his dad? Snape's death - what happened to his body? And Lupin and Tonk's and Voldy. what happened to Lunas dad? did 'hermy' get her parents back from Oz? why did she kill hedwig :'(

thats the few questions me n sarah (sazzra) came up with on MSN.

The forest/ghost scene almost made me cry...twas the saddest part of it for me. I didnt really like the dumbledore scene yet i can see why it was important. I didnt mind fred dieing...kinda expected it :YAHOO: the deaths should have been more 'epic' though to live upto expectations.

Bring on Book 8 with all our answers! :P

• Showmasters Admin

I get the eyes and Snape, but why would Lupin, Sirius and all the others go on about them?

I think it's all linked to the personalities of James and Lily as much as their looks. Afterall, people went on jusr as much about how he looked like his father but behaved more like his mother.

Just think about how young James and his gang behaved and how angry and upset it made Harry. And then think how Lily and later Harry behaved, not just towards their friends but also towards the weak and helpless and those in need. Just compare how James treated Snape to how Harry treated Draco. They all hated each other, but James picked on Snape while Harry didn't go out of his way to attack Draco.

And in the end it was his personality that brought victory, not his looks.

Andrea

what happened to the dursleys? what happened to the malfoys? rest of the death eaters? neville n sword was not really explained. did Harry get custody of Ted? did george carry on with the shop? who was new head of hogwarts? did they go back and do their NEWTS? what house did James get into in epilouge? they dont mention it do they? was he a seeker like his dad? Snape's death - what happened to his body? And Lupin and Tonk's and Voldy. what happened to Lunas dad? did 'hermy' get her parents back from Oz? why did she kill hedwig :'(

You also didn't find out what Harry had for breakfast the next morning!!! C'mon, you can't be told everything! Especially the stuff that happened after the end of the book! That's the job of the fan fickers...

Andrea

Fred! *cries* :YAHOO:

Lupin! *cries* :P

Colin! *cries* :(

Snape! *cries* :(

*just generally cries a lot*

I was starting to cry about Fred then I read about Lupin and that was me, sobbing for a good ten minutes. All my campers were looking at me funny... *is working at a summer camp*

All I can say is, the 19-years-later bit was like a slash writer's nightmare - proof that Harry, Ron and Draco like girls! Nooooooooo!

Also, NEVILLE KICKS ASS! I want a t-shirt like one of the girls here has, a big picture of Neville with "My Hero" on it!

Overall I loved the book. It was only the epilogue that really annoyed me (it just felt like a piece of mediocre fan fic and wasn't really necessary), and Harry's arguement with Lupin which seemed a bit out of character. I would also liked to have seen more made of the death of Tonks and Lupin, seen them die like heroes rather than just in some unknown way. Oh, and Jason would have liked to have seen owls sent to Durmstrang and Beaubaton when the siege started and wizards from across the globe coming to their aid. Viktor Krum really wasn't any more than a plot device in this book.

But other than that I really enjoyed the book. It answered all the questions I had and confirmed a few suspicions. The plot was full of twists and turns (unlike OOP and even HBP) and there was plenty to keep me gripped. ALthough it was complicated it was also well explained so you weren't left feeling lost and confused (still not quite sure what the point of the stone was though!). It was nice to see Harry finally grow up and become an adult, take responsibility for his actions and of his own destiny. It was also nice to see the other people taking their places as important characters (yay, Neville and Luna! And Dean!)

Now I want to see what they do with the film! Although OOP was a thick book, there wasn't a huge amount of plot so it was possible (if annoying!) to cut out huge chunks of it to turn it into a 2hr film. But there's not much to cut out of this one!

Andrea

The epilogue seems to be everyone's bugbear!

I know what you mean about Tonks and Lupins deaths - they were there, then they werent.

I know that war can be like that, and there's a huge chance it was done purely for the shock - that the first thing you know about them having died is when their bodies are laid next to Fred's, but I feel that a lot more should have been made of it.

I gotta disagree with Jason on the Beaubatons and Durmstrang thing though. I think it was important that the characters that we've invested so much time and emotion in be the ones to fight - it's so much easier to care when we feel we know every single character fighting on behalf of good, and I think that inviting what would essentially be extras in would dilute it too far.

I still say that I really wanted Draco or one of the other Malfoys have to thank Harry for saving him!

B.

i thought she would make more of draco as well. he didnt really play much of a role except show that hes a complete coward and i suppose a bit like wormtail will try to be on the side thats most powerful - i thought he might have saved one of the trio in some way though, but maybe thats too much against his character.

i know people are sad about the deaths of fred lupin etc but im actually not that against them. not that i wanted them to die, but i dont thnik you can say they are unnecessary. you cant pick and choose who dies in a war. fred may ahve been the better out of him and percy (im so glad percy came back in the end and finally apologised) but you cant pick and choose who deserves to live more, it just happened that way. i think one of the weasleys had to die, in fact im surprised more didnt. it just makes it more real.

i wish we had some knowledge of how lupin and tonks died but that doesnt mean it wasnt courageous and heroic. i expect it was lupin being struck down just as tonks got there, was it dolohov he was fighting? i cant remember but i thnik it would then be tonks fighting her way to lupin and either attempting to fight the death eater as well and losing through her anger and grief or else not caring whether she lived or died justw anted to get to lupin. soemthing like that. we can imagien it as heroic as we want to, JK has left that open to us.

but i think when harry saw lupin tonks and fred it made him realise what eh was fighting for. if they had been just acquantances from school he wouldnt have cared so much about saving everyone then he did when it was the people he loved, and seeing that i think gave him more strength to go into that forest.

the sword is not so much an issue to me really its all magic and im sure JK will have a response to how it got back into the sorting hat when griphook had it.

i knew snape would be good, reading between the lines in HBP when harry called him a coward, his pain really showed, that he had killed someone he didnt want to and put his life on the line so many times going back to voldemort undercover.

however i really didnt think snape would lvoe lily. it had been suggested on a couple of sites and i was really against the idea, but now ive read it in context it really makes sense. i think alan rickman will be absolutely brilliant in the next 2 films.

i dont really know how they are going to condense this book into a film, i expect all the camping will be cut down into showing them move around a couple of times every quickly, and then focusing in on the main points only.

I definatly think Fred was overkill. By this time in the book we'd already realised the seriousness of it all, with Hedwig and Dobby and Moody, with Moody she brought down someone really strong so we know just how scary it is out there, I think it was ptenbob that said if someone that strong can die then who can't? And with Dobby it's just showing the harshness of it all. FRED WAS TOTALLY UNNESSECARY!

I guess we can't be told everything, but it would be nice to have a little LOT more :YAHOO: Not neccessarily about what houses the kids were in but like, we should've had a two months later or something before skipping 19 years ahead. We should know more about Lily and James and the Dursleys I think. It does say that the Death Eaters were being rounded up and chucked in jail or else they'd fled. It does say that Kinglsey has taken over as temporary minister. But yes. What do the trio do for a living? And Ginny and Luna?

I don't think the films had anything to do with any of it, JKs just not like that. It must be hard though writing a book and knowing they've got to make a film out of it. I don't think it would affect any of her decisions but would probably be there at the back of her mind.

Harry wouldn't get Ted, I don't think anyway, he's just too young. I think he would've gone to Tonks' mum. Either that or Mrs Weasley :borg:

I'd like to think Harry continued with Quidditch and played famously for England, that's his passion. I'd like to think Ron helped George with WWW for a bit if not indefinately. Hermione is the tricky one because there's just so much she could do. Hmmmmm

I would like Ron to have craved a career out for himself in something extraordinary away from his family and Harry and Hermione. Something he completely shines at all on his own and his exceptionally good at. An area where he excels.

I REALLY need to know about the aftermath of the battle. I wouldn't be adverse to a Book 8 or even a small glossary filled book - Like Voldemort - explanation, died at Hogwarts Battle, was buried etc etc etc!!

I think we could have achieved the same effect as Fred with Percy or Charlie, but I guess JK wanted someone the readers really loved. When you reread it, at the beginning Fred says 'when I get married........' * sob*

i know people are sad about the deaths of fred lupin etc but im actually not that against them.

Ooh, wash your mouth out!!! :P

you cant pick and choose who dies in a war. fred may ahve been the better out of him and percy (im so glad percy came back in the end and finally apologised) but you cant pick and choose who deserves to live more, it just happened that way.

Yes you can, especially if you're the author!

i think one of the weasleys had to die,

Again, wash your mouth out! lol :D

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Personally, as far as the deaths are concerned, I think JK went too far and as far as the epilogue/aftermath is concerned, she didn't go far enough...ho-hum

i know people are sad about the deaths of fred lupin etc but im actually not that against them.

Ooh, wash your mouth out!!! :D

you cant pick and choose who dies in a war. fred may ahve been the better out of him and percy (im so glad percy came back in the end and finally apologised) but you cant pick and choose who deserves to live more, it just happened that way.

Yes you can, especially if you're the author!

i think one of the weasleys had to die,

Again, wash your mouth out! lol :D

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Personally, as far as the deaths are concerned, I think JK went too far and as far as the epilogue/aftermath is concerned, she didn't go far enough...ho-hum

id agree with you if this was just like a novel but its a very real book, so then making it happen just to keep people happy wouldnt tie in with the rest of the books. i dont like the fact they died (obviously i wasnt rooting for a weasley death) but it kept the books real. JK said soem people wouldnt like the ending, and perhaps she anticipated people not liking the deaths, but she obviously felt them necessary

id agree with you if this was just like a novel but its a very real book,

I don't understand?

B.

i mean its fictional yes so in theory the author can do what she wants, but in terms of the characters and the emotions, politics etc its very realistic, despite the magical factors. thats why loads of people love the books. its true to life much more so than a lot of childrens books are, which have very 2D characters.

so what i mean is if JK picks and chooses to keep the readers happy its taking away the realistic side of things.

its like for example in a war soldiers die, but because one soldier has more people at home who love him than say another guy who only has a dog, the guy who has a dog should die over the other, but in the reality of war it doesnt matter whether you have a loving family or just a dog you just get killed and thats that.

so in relation to the books a lot of people have said its overkill and percy should have died because we love fred more, but in the war it doesnt matter who is loved more, its just the way it is.

i dont think many would have cared if percy had died to be honest where as a lot do about fred and it just emphasises why harry had to do what he did, because the people he loved were dying - percy's death wouldnt have had the same effect on him since hes spent a most of the series disliking him.

we may not like freds death but it had more of an effect on harry and is what was required i think

in fact thinking about it if percy had died some people would even say he somewhat deserved it because he had spent so long being an idiot and choosing the ministry over his family

Edited by Cazzie15

I ditto what everyone has said about the 19 years later bit. Very weak in my opinion.

Am I the only one who has never realised that James and Lily were only 21 when they died?! I imagined them to be a little older than that certainly.

I loved all the stuff about Dumbledore, how the character that seemed so perfect for so long was gradually picked apart showing that, like everyone, he was flawed.

I also got bored with the whole camping bit, was far too long winded. Especially after Ron had left.

Think it was Gemma said that the Forest Again chapter was her favourite. I have to agree. It was so moving, so emotional. He finally realised and came to terms with what he had to do and the moments with his dead family were so sad but so good.

Few things left unanswered that I would like answers for at some point. Even if its only brief I'd like to know what happened to everyone afterwards. Leaving out the aftermath of the battle was a big mistake in my opinion.

Naming their kids after their dead family and friends, pure cheese. Didn't like that chapter at all. Pure cop out to be honest.

i mean its fictional yes so in theory the author can do what she wants, but in terms of the characters and the emotions, politics etc its very realistic, despite the magical factors. thats why loads of people love the books. its true to life much more so than a lot of childrens books are, which have very 2D characters.

so what i mean is if JK picks and chooses to keep the readers happy its taking away the realistic side of things.

its like for example in a war soldiers die, but because one soldier has more people at home who love him than say another guy who only has a dog, the guy who has a dog should die over the other, but in the reality of war it doesnt matter whether you have a loving family or just a dog you just get killed and thats that.

so in relation to the books a lot of people have said its overkill and percy should have died because we love fred more, but in the war it doesnt matter who is loved more, its just the way it is.

i dont think many would have cared if percy had died to be honest where as a lot do about fred and it just emphasises why harry had to do what he did, because the people he loved were dying - percy's death wouldnt have had the same effect on him since hes spent a most of the series disliking him.

we may not like freds death but it had more of an effect on harry and is what was required i think

in fact thinking about it if percy had died some people would even say he somewhat deserved it because he had spent so long being an idiot and choosing the ministry over his family

But, see, the thing about these books is that they are fiction and more than that, they're fantasy. I'm not knocking the books cos I love them but there's very little in them that's actually realistic, apart from the characters - which is as it should be in a fantasy. I get your point about war - I said the same thing myself earlier, I just feel that JKR was forcing herself to kill off certain characters (and a certain number of characters) to make that point, even though the story didn't need that much death. I can't help it, that's just the impression I had. You don't have to set out to leave people griefstricken if you don't want to - the story would have worked just as well with less or even different deaths. But then, I've always felt there's something wrong with a book that doesn't have a happy ending and this one isn't all that happy...

Anyhoo... :WINCE:

. But then, I've always felt there's something wrong with a book that doesn't have a happy ending and this one isn't all that happy...

Anyhoo... :hathor:

lol well you cant say these books dont spark debates and discussions :borg: i think the ending would have been happier had we known more at the end, if there had been more time to see the characters moving on and how everything developed post voldemort, but because it was so sudden i guess it is a little depressing.

I can't believe JK said that she would kill a main character "and maybe even Harry so no-one would continue the story after her"...

Then why that crappy/cheezy ending leaving everything open like that???

That's stupid!

It just gives the urge to people to start writing "Harry Potter, the lost years" (IE all that happened between the end of the book and the epilogue)..

Nonsense!

On jonathan ross JK said the books would come to a very definite end - I was very confused when I finished the book, coz I think its screaming out for the 19 years to be filled in, and other people have mentioned that stories with their children etc (which I would hate, any furthur books have to be about Ron, Hermione and of course Harry. I don't want stories about their children!!).

Also apparently JK wrote the epilogue years and years ago, maybe thats why it doesn't fit in that great with the rest of the book, she has obviously become a much better writer as times goes on?

I have read it again and I think my favourite chapters are 'The Silver doe' and 'The Forest again'.

What 2 charcaters do we all think JK was upset about killing off? I am sure Fred was one of them and possibly Dobby the other?

Another thought I had was that Percy was supposed to have changed, and everything but in the epilogue he is still boring and Harry still doesn't wanna talk to him.

One more thing (do they ever end LOL!) How much of a childrens book do people think this is? If I had children I wouldn't be that keen on letting them read this or the half blood prince!!