Order of the Phoenix - Movie

pippinweasley

So saw the movie thursday night - opening night of course :D

I loved it, I was a little unsure at first but it got better and picks up. It's very fast, understandably being the huge book it is, I did wonder whether those who hadn't read it would follow, I'll have to ask when a couple of my friends have seen it.

The death scene I thought was great, I had tears in my eyes!!

Tonks was great.

Kingsley was great.

What was going on with Moody's stick?! Your wands not in there. That bugged me.

There was a fair bit of non-wand magic which bugged me!

Fred and George's escape is super.

Umbridge is deliciously vile.

The detention scene made me squirm, perfect!

It's funny.

The battle between Voldy and Dumbledore is a great movie bit, ace special effects.

The attack on Mr Weasley is goryier than I thought it would be!

I laughed, I cried, I jumped. All round a good night out!

What did you guys think?

x x x

• Showmasters Admin

Saw it on Thursday night and quite enjoyed it. But strangely, the more I think about it the more I like it! I've started listening to the OOP audio book again (You think I've got time to READ!?!) and I've realised that there are so many little touches that they've put in the film when they really didn't have to...

The people at 11 Grimauld Place listening to their stereo

Narguls and the Quibbler (I think she was even reading it upside down when you first see her)

Tonks tripping over the umbrella stand in the hallway

Arthur Weasley and the ticket barrier at the underground station

The fire breathing chicken in the box (in the lift when they get to the ministry)

I really need to see it again, and I'l probably enjoy it much more when I do. I think I'll wait until I finish the book first though...

Andrea

I had my reservations on this film as I'm not a huge fan of the book but it far surpassed all expectations. I thought the acting was better (I don't think dan had a wooden moment this time!!)

A have to say Sirius is one of my favourite characters and Gary played him exactly how I expected in this film, alot more so than in POA. I had a tear in my eye as soon as he said to harry about being a family!!!! I think it was knowing what was to come later on that was never going to happen.

It was overall a fantastic film even though they had to cut so much out, it still flowed well. I was looking forward to seeing Molly finding the boggart and it becoming Percy (who had me pmsl everytime he was on!) I'm gonna have to go see it again in the next week. Wasn't too sure on Tonks, she didn't really have much of a part but did love the scene sat at the dinning table making her hair change colour.

Did anyone see the T4 special about the premier on channel 4 today, saw a few familiar faces in the crowd!

Ellie xx

Saw it on Thursday night and quite enjoyed it. But strangely, the more I think about it the more I like it! I've started listening to the OOP audio book again (You think I've got time to READ!?!) and I've realised that there are so many little touches that they've put in the film when they really didn't have to...

Narguls and the Quibbler (I think she was even reading it upside down when you first see her)

The fire breathing chicken in the box (in the lift when they get to the ministry)

I really need to see it again, and I'l probably enjoy it much more when I do. I think I'll wait until I finish the book first though...

Andrea

I cant find my OOTP or HBP books.. :D

Came back last night and wanted to re-read them.

I'll give it 9/10. im not a fan of David Yates to be honest but he managed this quite well.

Lets see how he does directing Half Blood Prince.

Slightly disappointed no Quidditch scenes in this one.. or the lack of Dobby.

Kreacher gave me the creeps although his role was somewhat dumbed down aswell.

What the hell.. it's worth another £4.60 at the showcase hehe LOL :dance:

Andrea

I cant find my OOTP or HBP books.. :angry:

Came back last night and wanted to re-read them.

I'll give it 9/10. im not a fan of David Yates to be honest but he managed this quite well.

Lets see how he does directing Half Blood Prince.

Slightly disappointed no Quidditch scenes in this one.. or the lack of Dobby.

Kreacher gave me the creeps although his role was somewhat dumbed down aswell.

What the hell.. it's worth another £4.60 at the showcase hehe LOL :angry:

I would have enjoyed it more than i did if a had not read the book as i was sat there looking for the things the were in the book

OMG!!! I loved it, definately the best one so far for me. The acting overall was much better, the special effects were fantastic & I felt the managed to break down the book really well.

Only thing I wasn't so keen on was the fact that they made a lil too much of the Harry/Cho kiss, I know loads of fans were waiting eagerly for it but it went on a tad too long for me. I just kinda felt it was made more important than everything else arond it.

I absolutely loved the big end scene at the ministry. Lucius was great & I loved Bellatrix. I knew HBC would be great in that part but she did even better than I expected, I loved her running away signing like a child lol

I saw it yesterday at the Birmingham IMAX & can I just say if you can get a chance to see it in 3D, do it!!! It's so amazing!!! I'm of to see it at cineworld today to make a comparison between the 3D and normal.

Oh & Legolassie, Lucius is extra fabulous in 3D...very sexy!!! :blink:

• Showmasters Admin

A 3d Sirius! :blink:

Ahem...:blink: anyway, another thing I loved was the production design. The Ministry especially! The banner of Fudge hanging in the entrance was particularly effective, very 1984! And the gloss black corridors... perfect!

Andrea

loved it :blink:

i have to admit i was a bit concerned about this movie as the book is not my favourite, but it was much better than i expected, in fact it has made me want to read the book again in case i didnt give it enough credit, the only trouble i have now is trying to read it all before the 21st eeeek, better get reading! :blink:

i want to go and see it again, right now!!

have to agree about the harry/cho kiss but i guess a bit of romance never hurt anyone and lets face it its probably the only good thing that happened to harry!!

• Showmasters Admin

... and I've realised that there are so many little touches that they've put in the film when they really didn't have to...

I've just realised... Luna was wearing radish earrings in the film!

I agree about her Irish accent though. It did throw me a bit at first!

Andrea

I thought Luna's Irishness helped her whispyness. I loved her, she was Luna to a tee!!

I saw it again last night, Dad wanted to go and he offered to pay so wasn't going to say no! Dan's acting is superb, the bit where he's being possessed at the end - WOW. Who'd have thought it eh?

I loved the little touches. I loved the flashbacks from previous movies. I didn't like Snape's Worst memory bit. The kids were all wrong! Young Snape was perfect, but young James wasn't at all. Looked nothing like Harry!

Oh and Andrea - Those earrings, she made them herself =)

Edited by pippinweasley

im not overly excited about this one, but i still really enjoyed it.

i loved luna!! her accent and all!

i loved tonks

bella was perfect.

umbridge couldnt have been better!

i loved how there was so many little things lifted straight from the books andrea has listed some of them already but there were even lines that are exactly the same. like shacklebolt saying dumbledore has style, or hermiones infamous you have the emotional range of a teaspoon line. so even though they took out dramatic plot points the feel of the book was there.

i loved the climatic ending, espiecially in the veil room. it was simply specactular. and the voldemort/dumbledore duel was good too. even though they didnt use the statues i loved how DD kept pushing harry aside and the fact that he cared enough to do so made him lose concentration.

dan was just amazing in this film. i dont think i can fault him. i loved the part where he was possessed, including all the emotional flashbacks. (awww cuteness) and you could really feel his loneliness, especially when he shouts at ron in the dorm. perfect.

one thing i did notice about this film though was that no one really stood out as leads. i mean obviously there was hary but i didnt think hermione or ron stood out any more than say neville or ginny.

speaking of ginny... i loved how they have including her being a powerful witch. i honestly believe she will be important on the last book. and of course there were a few harry/ginny moments that had me sueeing in my seat. (im such a harry/ginny shipper)

so overall, i think it was a great movie but i will have to see it again before i decide if i like it bettre than the others

=x=

Oh & Legolassie, Lucius is extra fabulous in 3D...very sexy!!! :D

I bet.

I wasn't too sure if I was going to like this film as it was my least fav of the books. I was pleasently surprised. The movie was condensed just right. I agree that there was too mcuh put into the kiss. Quite clearly that was a little bit of fanservice. I loved all the new characters although I would of liked to of seen more of Tonks. I really liked Luna. She worked better than I hoped. The only bit I really didn't where the bits with Gawp. they felt out of place and I feel they didn't need to be there.

I loved the end section in the ministry. Lucius was amazing as always ans sexy as always. Bella was great although part of me would be intriged on how the original actress would of looked in the costume. Vody was brilliant and strangely sexy in his suit. The effects and cinetography were excellent. Very good. GoF is still my fav but this comes close.

What happened to Dudley's voice?

Edited by Legolassie Malfoy

Oh dear, I must be a bit odd cos in my head I've re-named the movie "Harry Potter and the Absolute Travesty"!!!!!

[RANT]

It was terribly, shockingly bad - dire, even - held together only by a fab cast struggling valiantly with a script that, if they'd read the book, they must surely have realised that it bore hardly any resemblance to the story at all!!!

I was horrified and my jaw dropped further and further with every second, every time they unleashed a hideous not-in-the-book speech or event, and believe me, IMHO there were far too many of those to make this anywhere near a credible adaptation of the book. It's by far the worst one they've done.

I know what everyone's going to say - that they can't fit everything from the book into the film and I'm well aware of that. Most of my problem with the movie comes not from what they had to cut out, but what they put in to cover up what they'd cut out! How did that version even get passed by JKR? Don't the movie-makers care any more as long as they've put in enough FX and beloved characters to ensure bums on seats and dollars in pockets?

Don't they realise how they twist characters' personalities every time they make them do or say anything that wasn't in the book? I'm not a huge fan of Cho Chang but she would NEVER have grassed on Harry, and to say Umbridge forced her with Veritaserum was a weak cover-up on behalf of the writers and a step too far from the story for me. Would it really have been too much time and money to introduce Cho's friend and have it happen the way it happened in the book? Likewise, the discovery of the Room of Requirement!!! Also, the twins would NEVER have disrupted the OWL exam like that, or been caught comforting a child like that - more like trying to get him to eat one of their sweets to take his mind off stuff!!! Then there was continuity - one minute Hermione had pinged the bell on the handlebars and the next Grawp was playing with them again. Now, she could have given them back I suppose, but it was just badly edited. And don't even get me started on the location of the playground!!! In this day and age, who the hell puts a kids playground in the middle of deserted countryside like that? What was the problem in using the playground from PoA. I could go on and on, but I'll finish with being sure that the Levicorpus spell, although having been around since James' day, wasn't discovered by Harry and therefore any of the DA until Book 6, yet it was used twice in this movie. Mind you, I could be wrong on that. Oh, and if "reducto" shattered the statue to smithereens, why didn't it have any effect on the deatheaters when Ginny used it on them?

AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

ahem

[/RANT]

Yeah, I'm a bit p*ssed off with it really....

Sorry if I've annoyed anyone with this but I had to get it out of my system :dance:

Edited by rainbowsparkle

I know alot of people think this is the weakest book, but OOTP is actually my 2nd favourite book.

I really enjoyed the film, but felt it should have been at least 30 minutes longer. I would have liked some Ron quidditch stuff and the bit where McGonagall gets stupefied.

I understadn why they change some things - but for the life of me I couldn't get Lupin didn't go with theguard to pick Harry up. There is no way he would of gone with Mad eye after what happened the previous year!! I hate it when they change things that are unnecessary! That wouldn't have taken any extra time to put Lupin in that scene!

I also did not understand why they changed the order of things - Trelawneys sacking for one.

I also really wish they had put Marietta in and don't think it would have lengthened the film so much to put why Harry & Cho really broke up. I also think this is gonna be a problem later because a) Harry can't trust Cho again :dance: they all have scars on their hand, harry uses his to show the minister why he won't comply with him!

I also thought the end was rubbish, I didn't like the battle at all - what was all that smoke? I wanted to see the brains and the Time room etc!

However- apart from that I really did enjoy it. I just wish they had used most of the cast more effectively.

I thought however that Daniel Radcliffe was amazing in this one. Was pleased that Emma (who I love but she can overact sometimes) has reigned it in a little bit and that Rupert was great as ever. Imelda was also perfect deliciously evil in a character that could have become a caricature. Helena Bonham Carter was also fantastic!

However the most perfect casting ever goes to Evanna Lynch, who is a pitch perfect Luna. I only wish she was in the next book more!!

I also thought the end was rubbish, I didn't like the battle at all - what was all that smoke? I wanted to see the brains and the Time room etc!

However- apart from that I really did enjoy it. I just wish they had used most of the cast more effectively.

I thought however that Daniel Radcliffe was amazing in this one. Was pleased that Emma (who I love but she can overact sometimes) has reigned it in a little bit and that Rupert was great as ever. Imelda was also perfect deliciously evil in a character that could have become a caricature. Helena Bonham Carter was also fantastic!

However the most perfect casting ever goes to Evanna Lynch, who is a pitch perfect Luna. I only wish she was in the next book more!!

Overall I thought it was a good movie, although I also think they changed things too much. I wish we'd have seen more of Tonks (or they'd at least have introduced her properly), I would have loved to see the St Mungos scene and you can never have enough Quidditch. But apart from that it was good.

The fight scene should have been longer/bigger. However, I was reading an interview with the actress that plays Tonks and she was saying that they filmed more of the fight but it got cut, so you never know, maybe it'll be included in the DVD *crosses fingers*

I didnt like it at all! My favourite book but the worse film.

I dont like how David yates directed it, and if he's got HBP im not looking forward to that either. Nothing in it made sense! without the book you have no chance of understanding it. It was all too fast and too messy!

I quite enjoyed it, but I do think it was a terrible adaptation. I would imagine that some parts would be quite difficult to understand if you hadn't read the books!

The whole sequence at the Ministry of Magic was VERY disappointing! OOTP is one of my favourite books and this part should have been totally awesome...instead it felt rushed, confusing and a bit of a mess. The wizard duel was cool but nowhere near good enough!

Of course there were some bits that were great (Umbridge, Bellatrix, Weasley twins, Thestrals, Patronuses etc.) but yes, there was something missing...probably about another hour's worth of footage to be honest!

Oh, and I didn't really like Grawp or the Centaurs either. LOL I am fussy!

I need to see it again. Maybe it'll be better second time 'round...