Milton Keynes

Ironside

Hi all, first post. Visited the show on Saturday and Sunday, and the signings, photo shoots etc I had no problem with.

Just one thing..

Milton Keynes.

What a horrid, horrid place, totally soul-destroying. And I really didn't like the shopping centre, what a monstrosity.

Please ditch it as a venue !!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the shopping centre is a good shopping centre, but MK as a place is a bit shoddy. Im sure americans think it must be a weird place - esp as they are not familar with roundabouts as much!

however, i think it is situated in a good location in terms of people getting in that there is now a london event, a manchester event, a scottish event and the start of it all middleish england MK.

works well i think.

i have a great affection for the place

Edited by Kookie22

Are you serious????????? I LOVE Milton Keynes .. yeah its not exactly very beautiful compared to other parts of the country but from an entertainment point of view its great ... the shopping centre is fantastic, there's lots to do and the roundabouts are comedy! I do find MK funny, but in an affectionate kind of way - I'm very attached to it!

i think the shopping centre is a good shopping centre, but MK as a place is a bit shoddy. Im sure americans think it must be a weird place - esp as they are not familar with roundabouts as much!

however, i think it is situated in a good location in terms of people getting in that there is now a london event, a manchester event, a scottish event and the start of it all middleish england MK.

works well i think.

Midlands would be better IMHO (from Derby)

Edited by Ironside

Hi all, first post. Visited the show on Saturday and Sunday, and the signings, photo shoots etc I had no problem with.

Just one thing..

Milton Keynes.

What a horrid, horrid place, totally soul-destroying. And I really didn't like the shopping centre, what a monstrosity.

and your from where?

the shopping centre is fine as a venue.....remember its free!

lol, poor Milton Keynes. I don't live there but I agree it's a strange and quirky place but I have to say I like it very much, even more so as a venue. It's great to have so much to do in one place. No shortage of eating and drinking places, if you're with someone who's bored then they can go shopping, it's free entry and even for me living in SE London, it's pretty easy and quick to get to.

The roundabout system does need some getting used to, but if you do get lost it's so easy to turn round and re-trace your movements and because of the grid system you're always bound to reach your destination eventually.

It does need a face lift due to the 60's and 70's facades but there's no place quite like it here in the UK and I always look forward to my bi-annual visits :(

• Moderators

Milton Keynes itself isn't exactly spectacular unless you have a fetish for concrete and roundabouts .. however the shopping centre is an excellent venue for Collectormania, and it provides something unique that other events just don't have.

I'd certainly never move it :(

we have this virtually after every Collectormania, people saying how bad the place/ venue is.

Personally i think its great, well situated, easy to get to. Plenty of things to do when not looking round the stalls plus ideal to take the wife to as she can go shopping while Im looking round the stalls or stood in queues

Just one thing..

Milton Keynes.

Sorry, based on what?

It's clean, convenient, the public transport is ok.

What exactly is soul destroying about it? What parts of it did you see to make this judgement? Why is the centre any worse than any other centre?

Also why ditch it! its been there for c11 for so long now, ive got used to it, It turns out that its always new people to the board that moan, if u dont like it dont go, but i hope showmasters dont move it i love it there.

works well i think.

Midlands would be better IMHO (from Derby)

Except there are already events in the midlands - events that aren't anywhere near as busy as Collectormania

I had never been to Milton Keynes before C11, but when

opps

anyway as I was saying, when I got there I thought it was a really great place to hold Collectormania events...Plus plenty of shops to keep the family busy if the are bored!

I was waiting for this topic to start!

I disliked MK when I first saw it but it grows on you! It is a nice place, I find it clean and safe especially with no road crossing to do!

The shopping thing is nice too, and it has a pasty shop......case closed.

I live in the South, and it's easy to get to from London (despite the frequent rail engineering works!). The good thing is while you are waiting

for your number to come round in the virtual ticket queue, there are plenty of places to eat & drink, shops to look at etc.

Sorry, based on what?

What exactly is soul destroying about it? What parts of it did you see to make this judgement? Why is the centre any worse than any other centre?

Don't get me wrong, the event in itself was great, I enjoyed it. And most of the locals were pretty polite, the organisation was ok and good friendly guests too, no problem in that capacity.

But how anyone can say the place has any character I don't know.

I guess I should say exactly why I found the place depressing.

There just isn't any character to the centre of MK. Its functional, yes, but for me a little too antisceptic. Its concrete, glass and steel, like a giant skate park (and it was being treated like that). I just didn't like it from an architectural or asthetic point of view, thats my opinion. As with the local football team it feels something that has been 'transplanted' from somewhere else.

Want to go somewhere to eat and drink? well, thats ok if you want to visit an overpriced uber-global chain like Costa, Starbucks, Mcd's pizza hut etc.

I looked around, couldn't find anything but theme pubs. I was itching to find somwhere, well a little bit grimy, a bit normal. I can think of a million better towns for a weekend out, Canterbury, York, Durham, Nottingham, somewhere with a bit of history.

Yes, I know it was a shopping centre what did I expect? your right, its like any other centre, but bigger. and being in MK Amplified everything I hate about shopping malls because its so big.

And its fair enough people going 'well its free', but don't tell me Collectormania didn't make an absolute packet out of the autographs and photo shoots, plus the trade through to the shops wouldn't have done the centre any harm. Swings and roundabouts I reckon.

I personally would be prepared to pay to enter somewhere where you can chill out for a couple of minutes in between the madness. The way I felt was when I left the show, you went to an outer layer to a crowded shopping centre, then out of the centre, just concrete and subways. I didn't feel I could 'escape' anywhere.

Screaming kids every five minutes didn't help neither, although I blame the roaming Alien for that :D

Maybe its just because its the first con i've ever done, but after two days I felt drained and I was glad to get home. Next time, i'll probably just do a day.

The other two things that I really hated about the place was that we went to see Spiderman 3 at the Odeon (about 8pm) and the kids in their were the rudest I've ever known in a multiplex - they talked right through the film and used their mobile phones all the way through the film. Total chav Brats.

the second thing that really narked me was down at the Railway Station, i know it was Sunday night on a bank holiday, but there was hardly anything down there in the way of facilities. I thought that having a major event on, they might have had a few places open.

And whats wrong with Newbies to the forum having a good moan, do I have to be registered for five years to have a point of view??? jeez i hate forum snobbery!

Edited by Ironside

Sorry, based on what?

I looked around, couldn't find anything but theme pubs. I was itching to find somwhere, well a little bit grimy, a bit normal. I can think of a million better towns for a weekend out, Canterbury, York, Durham, etc...

The other two things that I really hated about the place was that we went to see Spiderman 3 at the Odeon (about 8pm) and the kids in their were the rudest I've ever known in a multiplex - they talked right through the film and used their mobile phones all the way through the film. Total chav Brats.

Canterbury,York have been around for hundreds of years....of course they have character....they've have that time to build character....Milton Keynes has only been around for less than 35 years!

trust me its not just the kids of Milton Keynes.....that are the rudest at the cinema!

Ironside, I think when you've done a few conventions where you're basically stuck in 1 place all day with the choice of 1 restaurant/cafe and nothing else to do but sit on the floor to wait your turn for an autograph/photo/talk, then you'll come to appreciate how great it is to have Collectormania at Milton Keynes. The hotels/restaurants/shops/shopping centre and clean and well laid out and it makes life so much easier to go there for most fans than anywhere else. I personally prefer it to Earls Court in London, even though I live in London, as it's all there for me in one place once I'm there and I actually like the 'American' feel to the place.