any more guests soon?

veasse

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey SM,

I know its a long way off but i'm slavering here for some more guests...

Any idea when you will know when you are able to annouce more guests?

Thanks

Andrea xx

Hi Andrea

I was hoping for an answer on that question myself...or at least a little progress update on what they are doing at the moment in which to find guests. Andy Serkis is a top bloke though, you will have great fun with him I can guarantee :).

Shadowfaxrider

We are working on further guests, but we also have several other shows happening, so sometimes we get a little preoccupied. However we haven't forgotten another show.

sorry, but we've heard that old excuse too many times now. If you've got too many shows to put any effort into this one, then something needs to be dropped, or get more staff in. Lots of us have paid out a lot of money for this show, and right now, it seems like no-one at SM cares enough to give us proper updates (and guests). I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my ticket.

• Moderators

But they can't just make up guests to keep you happy surely?

They've been honest and said they're working on them, I'm not sure what else they can actually say.

The hotel code was given out, that's a step in the right direction and further confirmation that the event is currently taking place (and yes, I say currently because nothing's 100% certain until you're there!).

And they obviously care because they replied. People worry when there aren't any replies, yet when there's one it's not good enough ..

We are working on further guests, but we also have several other shows happening, so sometimes we get a little preoccupied. However we haven't forgotten another show.

sorry, but we've heard that old excuse too many times now. If you've got too many shows to put any effort into this one, then something needs to be dropped, or get more staff in.

So those who aren't interested in RC and who have also paid out in advance for tickets for other events which you are suggesting should be dropped should lose out because of Ring Con? Nice. Just remember that RC is occupying the weekend that was originally booked for another show, meaning that a lot of people have already been disappointed. Good luck with cancelling the ticket - I suggest you read the T&Cs which state that a refund won't be given due to changes in/lack of guests.

sorry, but we've heard that old excuse too many times now. If you've got too many shows to put any effort into this one, then something needs to be dropped, or get more staff in.

So those who aren't interested in RC and who have also paid out in advance for tickets for other events which you are suggesting should be dropped should lose out because of Ring Con? Nice. Just remember that RC is occupying the weekend that was originally booked for another show, meaning that a lot of people have already been disappointed. Good luck with cancelling the ticket - I suggest you read the T&Cs which state that a refund won't be given due to changes in/lack of guests.

actually no, I think they should just admit that this event is a bust and cancel THIS one. They keep making excuses as to why we havent had updates for MONTHS for this event and I'm tired of it. A lot of people may have been disappointed by another show (which I know nothing about since it has zero interest for me) but had they already bought tickets for it? SM have £150 of my money which they're earning interest on, and I have nothing to show me that this even is honestly even going to go ahead. They have no experience of this kind of event and the people who do, Dirk etc, have heard nothing from SM about it either, so it doesnt look like anything IS actually being done, despite their above comment.

They've been honest and said they're working on them, I'm not sure what else they can actually say.

The hotel code was given out, that's a step in the right direction and further confirmation that the event is currently taking place (and yes, I say currently because nothing's 100% certain until you're there!).

And they obviously care because they replied. People worry when there aren't any replies, yet when there's one it's not good enough ..

of course they're going to SAY they're working on it (after months and months of us asking) because they're not likely to admit they're not, but the guy from another show Germany said he'd been trying to get something out of them and was being put off himself, so I'm sorry if I dont actuallly believe them. Unless they announce in the next few days that they've got us a decent guest, I am going to ask for my money back.

There is a lot of work that goes into organising these events. Although SM have not ran a 'convention' event before, I belive they are more than capable of pulling it off, I have confidence in them. As for the guests, they will announce guests when they have signed on the dotted line!

I understand that people want to see guests announced for another show, but you also want to see guests announced for the other events. They can't announce them until the contract is complete, which is easier said than done. There are 6 months to go yet, a lot can happen in 6 months.

People are mentioning G:Mex, I believe that was cancelled due to circumstances out of SM's control, there for, I wouldn't hold it against them.

SM always bring you excellent guests and fantastic events.

*I'm adding this here, as I have made an error, in the above post* Stuart has ran convention before, which have been fantastic, infact my very first convention I attended was one of Stuarts. It was brilliant, had the time of my life, to point where I went to several more of them, and have continued for the last 7 years.

Stuart has lots of experience in running conventions, his knowledge and experience is very valuable, which will make another show a success.

Sorry Stuart, how I forgot that I do not know. Please forgive me

Edited by Marina

For goodness sake jacksparrowsmistress - I think we get the idea that the world revolves around you!!

YOU may have "zero interest" in other SM events but to be honest I doubt anyone cares whether your interested or not. Look at it this way, if SM did not run lots of different events they would not have the finances or the reputation to attract big names to their events or maybe even run them at all! So then where would you be?

Personally, I'm over the moon that LOTR fans have the OPPORTUNITY to go to a convention in the UK rather than having to travel miles. Without SM running this event where would we be now? I think that's what some people forget. I support anyone who wants to run an event dedicated to LOTR fans. And as for the fact that "they have no experience"... sorry, I don't see anyone else offering to do it?

You say there is no evidence that the event will go ahead? Put it this way, they would not sign a deal with a major worldwide hotel group to accomadate guests if they thought it was not going to run! Andy Serkis as a PROFESSIONAL actor would not have signed up to the event without evidence from SM that the event is going to run.

I agree with Sazzra that it quite clearly states in the T&C's you won't get a refund for your reason that 1/2 A YEAR away enough guests haven't been announced! But give it a shot, because I'd rather hear from people looking forward to a fun amazing event than your pessimism!

:D

OMG what a can of worms i opened!

Right... heres my say!!

Ring con will have guests when they can confirm...

We have a while till Nov.

I was mearly asking if there was any news...

I'm quite happy to wait as long as we get a regular nod in our direction to say they are working on it..

Now quit being so grumpy all of ya or i'll bang your heads together... tut (can you tell i'm getting old... sound like my mother lol)

now all of you hug and make up... go on!!

shake hands then??

no...??

*sigh*

well dont say i didnt warn you it would turn into tears....

(please note this is a post to lighten the mood!)

Andrea xx

Veasse,

I don't think anyone had a problem with what you said, you like most of us are just exited and patiently waiting for news! I'm coming from the same angle as you! I'm just frustrated with people making unreasonable demands and biting comments about SM (anything I said wasn't aimed at you!)

I can see why you don't want people arguing but its pretty hard not too when someone who doesn't work for SM says the event is 'bust' and should be cancelled!

I think we all know that another show is gonna be great and that SM will come through for us, like they've done before!!

Personally I can't wait!

Edited by GondorGirl

Veasse,

I don't think anyone had a problem with what you said, you like most of us are just exited and patiently waiting for news! I'm coming from the same angle as you! I'm just frustrated with people making unreasonable demands and biting comments about SM (anything I said wasn't aimed at you!)

I can see why you don't want people arguing but its pretty hard not too when someone who doesn't work for SM says the event is 'bust' and should be cancelled!

I think we all know that another show is gonna be great and that SM will come through for us, like they've done before!!

Personally I can't wait!

Word!!!!!

I just bought 2 Gold Tickets last week, I honestly can't wait till the event and I know whoever goes I will enjoy myself as I know I will meet many great fellow ringers.

Thanks SM for making this event feasible

I think jacksparrowsmistress has some very good points.

I personnally have not booked a ticket because I don't believe this event will go ahead and I was also going to get a silver ticket but if it goes ahead I'll be going as standard.

The updates on this event have got the stage of being a total joke.

It took about 2 months before we got the hotel code and most of the time they didn't even bother to reply to comments on this section.

It is almost as if they don't care.

I had such high hopes for this event but showmasters are now seem to be chasing them away.

Yes and the guys who run another show in Germany are not being given information either.

That tells you a hell of a lot.

• Showmasters Admin

sorry, but we've heard that old excuse too many times now. If you've got too many shows to put any effort into this one, then something needs to be dropped, or get more staff in. Lots of us have paid out a lot of money for this show, and right now, it seems like no-one at SM cares enough to give us proper updates (and guests). I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my ticket.

I'm sorry you feel what I said to be an excuse. It wasn't. We've been busy with other things. Sometimes that happens. As for not caring enough to give proper updates, that is what I am doing now.

• Showmasters Admin

actually no, I think they should just admit that this event is a bust and cancel THIS one.

This event is not a bust. It's going ahead, and we are working on additional guests, who we will announce as and when we are in a position to do so.

They keep making excuses as to why we havent had updates for MONTHS for this event and I'm tired of it.

They've not been excuses. We've been busy.

A lot of people may have been disappointed by another show (which I know nothing about since it has zero interest for me) but had they already bought tickets for it? SM have £150 of my money which they're earning interest on, and I have nothing to show me that this even is honestly even going to go ahead.

It's going ahead. If our word on this and our track record for running events isn't good enough for you, then I'm sorry, because nothing else I say is going to convince you if you are determined to think the worst of us.

They have no experience of this kind of event

And this proves you don't know what you are talking about, because not only have I experience of this kind of event, but you've attended some of the ones I ran. I was running conventions long before I started working for Showmasters.

and the people who do, Dirk etc, have heard nothing from SM about it either, so it doesnt look like anything IS actually being done, despite their above comment.

Thanks again for not only your total lack of confidance in us, but the implication that we are liers. Again, if you are determined to think the worst, nothing I can say will convince you otherwise. Yes, the lines of communication with Dirk fell down a little for a while, but we have spoken to him in the last few days and rectified that.

of course they're going to SAY they're working on it (after months and months of us asking) because they're not likely to admit they're not,

Of course we are going to say we are working on it, because WE ARE working on it.

There is a lot of work that goes into organising these events. Although SM have not ran a 'convention' event before, I belive they are more than capable of pulling it off, I have confidence in them.

Thanks for the vote of confidance Marina. One correction though - while you are correct that SM has not run a "convention" before, I have, before I started working for them.

Stuart

OMG what a can of worms i opened!

Right... heres my say!!

Ring con will have guests when they can confirm...

We have a while till Nov.

I was mearly asking if there was any news...

I'm quite happy to wait as long as we get a regular nod in our direction to say they are working on it..

Andrea xx

That's okay Andrea. I appreciate and recognise that you were simply asking for an update, which isn't at all unreasonable. We have been somewhat remiss with communications of late, a combination of other, more imminent events demanding our time, and personal reasons I don't particularly want to have to go over on this forum. However, just because we are not posting on the forum does not mean we aren't working on the event, and hopefully we'll soon be in a position to provide everyone with a few more concrete developments.

I think jacksparrowsmistress has some very good points.

I personnally have not booked a ticket because I don't believe this event will go ahead and I was also going to get a silver ticket but if it goes ahead I'll be going as standard.

The updates on this event have got the stage of being a total joke.

It took about 2 months before we got the hotel code and most of the time they didn't even bother to reply to comments on this section.

It is almost as if they don't care.

I had such high hopes for this event but showmasters are now seem to be chasing them away.

Yes and the guys who run another show in Germany are not being given information either.

That tells you a hell of a lot.

It tells you that we have been extremely busy, and sometimes other things in life take priority. I'm sorry you feel let down by the lack of announcements and updates, but we do care about the event and about making it the best possible experience we can for any fans who attend.

I have always been happy with Showmasters' work and commitment.

They will do well with another show as well. I know there are great expectations but give time and be patient.

I see their last reply has been posted at around 3 a.m.!

I can't certainly say that they don't care...

:YAHOO: ooops that was me typing in a hurry, sorry, please forgive me for that one Stuart :YAHOO::YAHOO:

Stuart has lots of experience of running many conventions over the years, which I have attend, that have been very successful, everything went smoothly, no one was disappointed. The guests were fantastic, the atmosphere relaxed and a lot of fun.

Showmasters have a proven track record of running events, the fans are never disappointed. I honestly can't remember how long SM have running events for, but its a long time, and they keep getting better and better, they evolve for what the fan and customer wants.

SM DO care what the fan wants and work very hard to do this. Which anyone who has been to the events before, know just how much hard work and dedication is put into each show, for it run smoothly and that everyone is happy.

I have upmost respect and confidence in Showmasters, will run this event/convention and will be a huge success!

And this proves you don't know what you are talking about, because not only have I experience of this kind of event, but you've attended some of the ones I ran. I was running conventions long before I started working for Showmasters.

It tells you that we have been extremely busy, and sometimes other things in life take priority. I'm sorry you feel let down by the lack of announcements and updates, but we do care about the event and about making it the best possible experience we can for any fans who attend.

I'm only going to respond to these 2 points, because to be honest, I could care less for your platitudes. Right, as for me attending some of the ones you ran before, I doubt it, since I've only ever been to 2 proper 'conventions' and 1 of them was 2 weeks ago and I know you didnt organise that one, so dont talk like you know me.

As for other things taking priority, well if YOU can't do it, hire in enough staff to do the job, dont make excuses when people have paid out good money.

Now, can I have my money back? I have no interest in this event any longer. Even if you got Viggo Mortensen I'd no longer want to come after the attitude I've been given here. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. I have a number of friends who dont frequent this forum who feel the same way I do and who were going to buy tickets but now dont think they'll bother at all.

• Showmasters Admin

I'm only going to respond to these 2 points, because to be honest, I could care less for your platitudes.

That's fine. You've made it very clear you are determined not to believe us and to think the worst.

Right, as for me attending some of the ones you ran before, I doubt it, since I've only ever been to 2 proper 'conventions' and 1 of them was 2 weeks ago and I know you didnt organise that one, so dont talk like you know me.

If I'm mistaken as to who you are, then I apologise - it's difficult to be certain when someone is using a board alias. But the point remains - you said we had no experience of running events like this, and that's completely incorrect.

As for other things taking priority, well if YOU can't do it, hire in enough staff to do the job, dont make excuses when people have paid out good money.

I didn't want to go into this, but since you keep insisting we've been making excuses... Clearly it was an excuse that my mother was rushed into hospital. It was an excuse for her to be diagnosed with widespread cancer. It was excuse that I rushed to her side and left all the work I normally do to be shared amongst the rest of the people here as best they could on top of the work they already do; what others could do was shared out amongst several people, such as Jola, Too Tall and Andrew Hornby, but there's lots of stuff I do that isn't something anyone else can simply take up doing. It was presumably an excuse that Jason's father was diagnosed with cancer too, though luckily as it turned out a less severe case; however it still meant he had other things to deal with than work. It was an excuse that my mother collapsed in hospital the day she was due to come home and we were told she was never going to wake up. It was an excuse that she proved them wrong, and did wake up, albeit confused and terribly weak. It was an excuse that my family did turns spending time with her 24 hours a day, trying to make sure that the odd occasions when she was conscious there was somewhere there to talk to her and reassure her. It was an excuse that my father got pneumonia after a week of sleeping on a Z-Bed in her room. It was an excuse that while he was rushed into another room in the same hospital, I took over spending the nights at the hospital, making sure the overworked staff there replaced her morphine feed at 3am so she wasn't in agony. It was an excuse after a couple of months of this, she died, having slowly wasted away because she wasn't eating.

I've been busy. That is not an excuse. And this is not the kind of job where you can just hire in temp staff. Other people took up what they could, but thing had to be prioritised, and events at the end of the year were less urgent than those happening in the next month or two.

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear about all your problems, and even more sorry that you've had to post them publicly to stop someone whining about guests that haven't been announced.

Now, can I have my money back? I have no interest in this event any longer. Even if you got Viggo Mortensen I'd no longer want to come after the attitude I've been given here. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. I have a number of friends who dont frequent this forum who feel the same way I do and who were going to buy tickets but now dont think they'll bother at all.

*sigh* Again, read the T&Cs of the tickets. You bought them from the online store, it clearly states the following

All purchases are non refundable unless the event is cancelled by ourselves (or if the guest is no longer attending, in the case of talks or photo sessions). By purchasing items through our online store you agree to our terms & conditions.
(bold is mine)

You bought it/them, tacitly accepted said conditions and so entered into a legal contract. If you only intended on going if a certain number/calibre of guests were appearing, you should have waited to buy tickets. I've been stung with tickets in similar situations but it ends up being a case of it's your own fault for buying early rather than waiting for the full line up.

I'm only going to respond to these 2 points, because to be honest, I could care less for your platitudes.

That's fine. You've made it very clear you are determined not to believe us and to think the worst.

Right, as for me attending some of the ones you ran before, I doubt it, since I've only ever been to 2 proper 'conventions' and 1 of them was 2 weeks ago and I know you didnt organise that one, so dont talk like you know me.

If I'm mistaken as to who you are, then I apologise - it's difficult to be certain when someone is using a board alias. But the point remains - you said we had no experience of running events like this, and that's completely incorrect.

I didn't want to go into this, but since you keep insisting we've been making excuses... Clearly it was an excuse that my mother was rushed into hospital. It was an excuse for her to be diagnosed with widespread cancer. It was excuse that I rushed to her side and left all the work I normally do to be shared amongst the rest of the people here as best they could on top of the work they already do; what others could do was shared out amongst several people, such as Jola, Too Tall and Andrew Hornby, but there's lots of stuff I do that isn't something anyone else can simply take up doing. It was presumably an excuse that Jason's father was diagnosed with cancer too, though luckily as it turned out a less severe case; however it still meant he had other things to deal with than work. It was an excuse that my mother collapsed in hospital the day she was due to come home and we were told she was never going to wake up. It was an excuse that she proved them wrong, and did wake up, albeit confused and terribly weak. It was an excuse that my family did turns spending time with her 24 hours a day, trying to make sure that the odd occasions when she was conscious there was somewhere there to talk to her and reassure her. It was an excuse that my father got pneumonia after a week of sleeping on a Z-Bed in her room. It was an excuse that while he was rushed into another room in the same hospital, I took over spending the nights at the hospital, making sure the overworked staff there replaced her morphine feed at 3am so she wasn't in agony. It was an excuse after a couple of months of this, she died, having slowly wasted away because she wasn't eating.

I've been busy. That is not an excuse. And this is not the kind of job where you can just hire in temp staff. Other people took up what they could, but thing had to be prioritised, and events at the end of the year were less urgent than those happening in the next month or two.

Obviously I'm sorry that you're going through these personal problems and yes, of course that should be your priority, but there is no way for us to know any of this and when we hear nothing at all from anyone involved in Showmasters for months and months and months, then how are we supposed to be reassured? It would only have taken seconds for someone, whether it be yourself, Jola, Too Tall etc, to have left an official message saying just that, that there had been some major personal issues and that it would be dealt with whenever. But, no-one did, we kept asking questions which kept being ignored.

And yes, for you maybe events happening in the next month or two are more urgent, but for those of us who've already paid out money we cant easily afford, in the hope that at some point you may actually get around to doing some work on this event, it's not much consolation to just hear "we've not forgotten about it".

*sigh* Again, read the T&Cs of the tickets. You bought them from the online store, it clearly states the following

All purchases are non refundable unless the event is cancelled by ourselves (or if the guest is no longer attending, in the case of talks or photo sessions). By purchasing items through our online store you agree to our terms & conditions.
(bold is mine)

You bought it/them, tacitly accepted said conditions and so entered into a legal contract. If you only intended on going if a certain number/calibre of guests were appearing, you should have waited to buy tickets. I've been stung with tickets in similar situations but it ends up being a case of it's your own fault for buying early rather than waiting for the full line up.

are you Showmasters? No, you're not, so shut the f**k up! I'm sick of everyone else sticking their oar in where it has nothing to do with you.

I'm only going to respond to these 2 points, because to be honest, I could care less for your platitudes. Right, as for me attending some of the ones you ran before, I doubt it, since I've only ever been to 2 proper 'conventions' and 1 of them was 2 weeks ago and I know you didnt organise that one, so dont talk like you know me.

Yes, the communication has been dire, and this combined with the increased number of events has understandably led to concerns about whether SM have the capability to juggle them all effectively. But let's give them some credit; you've finally got somebody from SM who has come here, apologised, and given an explanation as to what has been happening. (At least an explanation in as much detail as could reasonably be expected - I think SM might suffer from the genie being out of the bottle here, because once they start communicating with customers in a place like this, there will always be someone who wants more information, information which sometimes may be commercially confidential or sensitive, or even personally so.) So errors admitted, apologies made, I think the nub of the matter comes down to whether you think that SM have the track record, dedication and resources to make this work. Granted one might question the resources (and yes, letting personal issues affect corporate performance is unprofessional) - guess you have to decide whether their track record and dedication outweigh that.

You'll need to check the ticket conditions about whether a refund is payable in cases of the ticketholder copping a sulk. More seriously, whilst you might have good reasons for not wanting to come now, the one you have given does smack of, well, "nose" "spite" "face" "cut off", you make the sentence...

• Showmasters Admin

Obviously I'm sorry that you're going through these personal problems

Watching my mother slowly starve to death over a couple of months while worrying about whether I might also lose my father is a little more than a "personal problem".

and yes, of course that should be your priority, but there is no way for us to know any of this and when we hear nothing at all from anyone involved in Showmasters for months and months and months, then how are we supposed to be reassured? It would only have taken seconds for someone, whether it be yourself, Jola, Too Tall etc, to have left an official message saying just that, that there had been some major personal issues and that it would be dealt with whenever. But, no-one did, we kept asking questions which kept being ignored.

Given your response to my earlier posts, if you had been given an official message saying that there were major personal issues, you would have been saying those were excuses and platitudes unless it went into the same level of detail I just did. I personally had other things to worry about than what was being said on the boards, and those others who knew why I was absent and why everyone else was working overtime to make up for that absence didn't want to have to explain the details on the board - plus, they had a lot of other work to do, and answering questions on the board was again lower priority than making sure guests had their flights booked for coming to Collectormania, advertising deadlines met, crew and guests had hotels booked to stay in, etc.

And yes, for you maybe events happening in the next month or two are more urgent, but for those of us who've already paid out money we cant easily afford, in the hope that at some point you may actually get around to doing some work on this event, it's not much consolation to just hear "we've not forgotten about it".

See above - you say we should have come and made an official statement to reassure you, but then say that when I did make an official statement to reassure you, it wasn't good enough.

are you Showmasters? No, you're not, so shut the f**k up! I'm sick of everyone else sticking their oar in where it has nothing to do with you.

Swear at another poster again and you will be banned from the board.

More seriously, whilst you might have good reasons for not wanting to come now, the one you have given does smack of, well, "nose" "spite" "face" "cut off", you make the sentence...

maybe, but right now I don't care, I dont want to attend this event anymore, not even for the hugest rarest guest, I've lost all confidence in it and being condecended to by SM is just p**sing me off. What ever happened to the paying customer being right? If I was just someone that was interested in coming that would be one thing, but I've already forked out the money so I think I should have the right to complain.

Swear at another poster again and you will be banned from the board.

Fine, ban me, I could care less, and give me my money back. I will no longer be attending any events run by Showmasters, and I've spent a LOT of money at them over the last few years, including having a Gold Pass at one event. Oh and I know a few other people who'll be boycotting them too. Your loss!

Given your response to my earlier posts, if you had been given an official message saying that there were major personal issues, you would have been saying those were excuses and platitudes unless it went into the same level of detail I just did. I personally had other things to worry about than what was being said on the boards, and those others who knew why I was absent and why everyone else was working overtime to make up for that absence didn't want to have to explain the details on the board - plus, they had a lot of other work to do, and answering questions on the board was again lower priority than making sure guests had their flights booked for coming to Collectormania, advertising deadlines met, crew and guests had hotels booked to stay in, etc.

yet again I will say, if you've got so many events on that you can't devote the proper time and effort to each one, then you need to have less events or get more staff in. It is unprofessional to run a business like this, and yes 'personal problems' come up, but there needs to be backups in place to deal with unexpected events like that so that the paying customers dont lose out or get left hanging.

Obviously I'm sorry that you're going through these personal problems

Watching my mother slowly starve to death over a couple of months while worrying about whether I might also lose my father is a little more than a "personal problem".

as tragic as it is, it has nothing to with me or any other paying customers, you're running a business, not a charity!