Announcement Reactions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if this is both the first and last Music Mania there will ever be...or perhaps I just underestimate the demand for it (and I'll eat my words) but I wish SM the best in it.

Edited by nicky

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if this is both the first and last Music Mania there will ever be...or perhaps I just underestimate the demand for it (and I'll eat my words) but I wish SM the best in it.

Like any event of this nature, it will live and die based on the guest list. And at the moment, I don't think it's looking too healthy. There's a certain market out there for 80s nostalgia, sure, but to be honest, by and large those people aren't going to come to an event like this. And that's the problem - at the moment it's an 80s nostalgia event. The thing about the 80s nostalgia circuit is that it doesn't inspire any real loyalty - as the performers found out to their cost. People will go to the Here and Now concert to see all the acts they remember from school, and reminisce - but that will be that. I can't see a huge turnout of people just to see Howard Jones.

I truly believe this event would be far more viable with a rock theme - get one or two decent rock guests, and people will queue for miles to get their Collectables signed. As it is, I think this event is going to struggle. But we'll see. There's still a way to go until the event. I will say if this is the final guest list I won't be going - just not my musical cup of tea.

Perhaps its worth looking at this in the same way as Collectormania got started,. From what I've been told the guests at the first CM shows weren't anything to shout about but look how that turned out.

Still have to say on the current guest list I don't think I'll be attending this show

Collectormania 1 :

Colin Baker: Dr Who (1984 - 1986)

David Barclay: Yoda puppeteer - Star Wars

Doug Bradley: Pinhead

Craig Charles: Dave Lister - Red Dwarf

Paul Darrow: Avon - Blake's 7

Uri Geller: Celebrity Paranormalist

Louise Jameson: Leela - Dr Who

Caroline Munro: Naomi - The Spy Who Loved Me

Jacqueline Pearce: Servalan - Blake's 7

Shane Rimmer: Scott Tracey - Thunderbirds

Collectormania 11 :

Zach Galligan: Gremlins

William Sanderson: Blade Runner

Terry Jones: Monty Python

James Marsters Buffy, Angel

Charisma Carpenter: Buffy, Angel

Brandon Routh: Superman Returns

OK, it took a few years, but you can't get to C11 from a standing start ! Obviously you have to strike a balance in the meantime where people don't want to come to earlier shows in massive numbers, but what's the point of just slagging the show off ?

Considering the potential of this kind of event, I agree that the lineup is disappointing at the moment. Lets hope they can pull some great stars out of the bag soon to get people really talking about this event.

• Moderators

A lot of the guests are very well known, and that helps I think. Obviously nostalgia is going to be the name of the game mainly with an event like this, as with any other similar one.

I see no harm at all in getting a lot of 'pop' guests - not sure why some people think 'rock' would be more popular? Surely by name alone, 'pop' = popular? I guess it's all down to personal opinion, but I guess we'll see :thumbup:

A lot of the guests are very well known, and that helps I think. Obviously nostalgia is going to be the name of the game mainly with an event like this, as with any other similar one.

I see no harm at all in getting a lot of 'pop' guests - not sure why some people think 'rock' would be more popular? Surely by name alone, 'pop' = popular? I guess it's all down to personal opinion, but I guess we'll see :smile:

I can see where you're coming from, but when it comes to nostalgia I think you might find the rock bands are a tad longer lasting and whilst I would love to see a load of rock guests I guess the main thing is to attract the most people through the doors (of the centre before anyone starts mentioning Jim Morrison).

Isn't pop also the sound of a bubble bursting....... :whistling:

Idris

• Moderators

I suppose we don't really know the type of people that'll turn up to this event, whether pop fans will or rock ones would or not .. do rock fans even want to collect autographs? :smile: I dunno, I suppose I always saw pop fans as more likely to be interested in this kind of event .. maybe I'm wrong there :whistling:

Collectormania 1 :

Colin Baker: Dr Who (1984 - 1986)

David Barclay: Yoda puppeteer - Star Wars

Doug Bradley: Pinhead

Craig Charles: Dave Lister - Red Dwarf

Paul Darrow: Avon - Blake's 7

Uri Geller: Celebrity Paranormalist

Louise Jameson: Leela - Dr Who

Caroline Munro: Naomi - The Spy Who Loved Me

Jacqueline Pearce: Servalan - Blake's 7

Shane Rimmer: Scott Tracey - Thunderbirds

Collectormania 11 :

Zach Galligan: Gremlins

William Sanderson: Blade Runner

Terry Jones: Monty Python

James Marsters Buffy, Angel

Charisma Carpenter: Buffy, Angel

Brandon Routh: Superman Returns

OK, it took a few years, but you can't get to C11 from a standing start ! Obviously you have to strike a balance in the meantime where people don't want to come to earlier shows in massive numbers, but what's the point of just slagging the show off ?

Considering when C1 was I would have wanted autos from 50% of the line up, but then again Showmasters has always been bad for my bank balance (well since I was introduced to the shows which was C4)

I agree - the main reason for me not attending the first couple of Collectormanias was that I had met many of the guests previously. With Musicmania there isn't anyone announced so far who I would travel to the event to meet. I do hope it's a success though, that way maybe the people I would like to meet will turn up at a future event.

I'm not slagging the event off at all, I said I wish it well for the future but really, the event couldn't be further from my personal tastes.

It really does have potential though and I hope we can see the kind of growth that collectormania has had that you used as an example.

I'm not slagging the event off at all, I said I wish it well for the future but really, the event couldn't be further from my personal tastes.

It really does have potential though and I hope we can see the kind of growth that collectormania has had that you used as an example.

Like Chris, for me it's a bit of a dilemma to be honest. I would really like this event to succeed, and there's a long list of potential guests that I'd love to see / meet. So I want to support it. The trouble is, at the moment the guests that are announced are 1 million miles away from my musical tastes :wub: