Who's got tickets?

GondorGirl

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know where I can get costume ideas from for female lotr characters? I can't go as Arwen because I'm a bit to short lol! And I'd probably look ridiculous as rosy seeing as I've got dark brown hair! Maybe I should go as Frodo's twin sister!

Hello, GondorGirl,

I know what you mean – I am too short and wide (and much too old) for any elvish costume, not quite Nordic enough for Rohan gear and have the wrong face for a hobbit!

I would suggest that whatever you choose, you do not need to copy a character from the film (believe me there will be loads of Arwens and Eowyns).

It is easier to select a Middle Earth community and work from that which gives you a lot more leeway to use shapes and colours that suit you.

The most important thing is to choose a costume you will be comfortable with.

My solution was Gondorian costume which has the advantage of being fairly easy to make and very forgiving. Check out my pic on p.1 of the “Anyone going in costume?†thread.

If you are inspired to follow suit, study the scenes in The Return of the King for ideas.The costume is based on Byzantine styles.

The festive costume basically consists of a flowing robe (with a shawl or mandarin collar) topped with an open-sided long tunic which has shorter sleeves and a tabard-type top layer all sashed just below the bust. You can add a gathered cape or an elaborate cope collar if you want. A jeweled headband with long drops at the side is a must and add necklaces to taste.

Everyday costume is simpler, usually just a robe and over-tabard, bound criss-cross across the chest and back with cord or flat braid. The overgarment or the robe can be hooded.

Fabrics should be fairly rich but in darker or muted shades to look authentic - Gondorians do not seem to do vivid colours. I got all my stuff from local asian fabric shops – very cheap - and my family fabric trunk. All the jewellery I used came from Accessorize sales!

A veil is optional, but hair is swept back and elaborately braided (so a veil can hide a lot if, like me, you can’t do the elaborate bit) NB - most Gondorians have dark hair!

For more ideas, advice, tips, patterns etc head over to www.alleycatscratch.com,

More of my costume is in my photo album (titled Gondorian Lady) on yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Costume

:YAHOO:

Hi, Gondor Girl.

I am not elf sized. I am more dwarf sized. But that is not going to stop me living my dream. I am going to be an elf for the entire week end. I think the emphasis should be on what do you actually want to be? Then you work towards that. That is enjoyable. I find that a lovely release.

I am going to create my own Elf character. I can not be Arwen or Galadriel as Voronwe says there will be lots of them there anyway. It is more kinda believable if you are a member of the Rivendell comunity or the Lothlorien comunity than being the actual Arwen or Galadriel. I can understand the lure though. Have fun.

Any of the communities have possibilities and great costumes.

Yep, I would recommend AlleyScratch too. Head to the Scrap book and have a look there are some original ideas there as well as replicas. There is loads of advice on there. I use it as my primary source.

Head towards the 'is anyone going in costume' topic. We are all talking about that sort of stuff there!

The key is fun. What ever you go as you are sure to have a great week end.

Have fun.

Jo

:D

Wow!

Thank you so much Vorwone and Elwyn!! I didn't even think about going as one of the communities rather than an explicit character!

Fantastic advice guys especially on the AllyScratch! I think going in Gondorian costume will suit me best and at least I can live up to my name!! Then again the jewellery Eowyn wears is seriously tempting!

Good on you Elwyn for going as what you want to be! I'm sure both you guys will look fantastic - just cross your fingers for me too!!

GondorGirl

;)

Thank you.

I am working on an elven dress at the moment. It is not a copy of an actual dress. It is in the Lothlorien style. I am a very short elf though! He he.

Voronwe's Gondor costume is fantastic. It proves that you do not have to be an actual character to look absolutely great.

Eowyn does have some very sweet jewellry though. You could wear jewellery inspired by hers and be a noble Rohan lady. If you have long blond hair it would be great to enhance that for the costume though.

I am not blond. But I still come from Lothlorien! or Rivendell sometimes. I could make my history fit how I look though.

Good luck all.

:unsure:

Wow!

Thank you so much Vorwone and Elwyn!! I didn't even think about going as one of the communities rather than an explicit character!

Fantastic advice guys especially on the AllyScratch! I think going in Gondorian costume will suit me best and at least I can live up to my name!! Then again the jewellery Eowyn wears is seriously tempting!

Good on you Elwyn for going as what you want to be! I'm sure both you guys will look fantastic - just cross your fingers for me too!!

GondorGirl

GG :D - email me if you want any more info. (I will try to get more details into my LOTR cosgroup album soon.)

We must meet up if you go Gondorian! Start our own another show community!

Voronwe

Veronwe,

Sorry, it's only me..

Have you got a link to your cosgroup we could click on?

I love seeing and hearing about everyone's costume experiences.

LOL

Elwyn :D

Edited by Elwyn

Veronwe,

Sorry, it's only me..

Have you got a link to your cosgroup we could click on?

I love seeing and hearing about everyone's costume experiences.

LOL

Elwyn :D

Elwyn,

Can't figure how to link but you could try this:

www.yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Costume/

Or there is a link from the Alleycatscratch LOTR costume homepage under Costume Discussion Groups

Voronwe

CONGRATULATIONS all of you that have posted saying you've got tix!!

Heather, I totally know what your saying about the price of gold tix me & my boyf had to sacrifice our holiday to New York to go - still I have no doubt it will be worth it (I hope!) and if not then it was all on his credit card! He he!!

Keep buying people & keep letting us all know!!

:thumbup:

Are you crazy??

New Yoirk is great!! I am off to Cuba in May and no way am I sacrificing something like that for anything.

You must really love Lord of the Rings and Showmasters events. Nothing wrong with that but gees your committed.

Hello!!

rich5wolves - I can see what you mean but NY isn't going anywhere & this is the 1st time another show's coming to England!!

Personally I think NY is the best place in the world but I can just go in Jan when there's the January sales at Macys - and trust me that's not a problem!!

Vorwone - I agree we should totally meet up especially if we are going in Gondorian costume!!

GondorGirl

Oh anyone else starting to get pi**ed off about the lack of hotel details? It's really starting to bug me now! SM HURRY UP!! :thumbup:

Hello everyone!

Can I just say, although I may be a runner on this forum - I'd like to wish any other newbies a warm welcome!

This is a thread for like-minded LOTR fans to post messages and have a great time chatting about another show et cetera.

Although, this thread is predominantly to let us know who's got tickets - it would be really nice for people to just let us all know what you are looking forward to!

In terms of members who have joined before myself, I'd like to say thank you for the really nice welcome - one of the most recurring notions in Tolkien's LOTR is the importance of community and coming together to share experiences - I hope I will see many of you at another show & that we will all have a fantastic time!!!

Me, I am looking forward to meeting Old friends and making plenty of new ones! The costumes too. I love seeing the things people have made. Whether they are original or copies from the movies.

The feeling of community here is welcoming. Thank you every one. The feeling of being amoung friends is un-matched.

I am already having a great time! This has cheered me up sooo much.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this board too, but just to add to the list - I just bought one of the standard tickets! :YAHOO:

Oh, by the way - who else is travelling a long way to be there? 3500 miles as the crow flies, (more like 5500 as the jet flies) for me...

:( I hate flying...no, we likes flying - we hates it! The pilot is my friend! The pilot will hurt usss! Water landing! Engine failure! Terrorism! Not listening...

• 3 weeks later...

It's not the guest thing that's getting me it's more the fact that showmasters aren't talking about this event at all that has me worried.

I was going to get a silver ticket now that's going to be out of the window.

If the event goes ahead it will be standard for me.

It's not the guest thing that's getting me it's more the fact that showmasters aren't talking about this event at all that has me worried.

I was going to get a silver ticket now that's going to be out of the window.

If the event goes ahead it will be standard for me.

The same thing is bothering me, too. I know that as usual people will probably tell us not to worry, that it's still 7 months away, and that we should chill, and they may be right - and the fact that the guy who's in charge of organising RingConUK is experienced and has a good reputation is reassuring. However, it would be nice to have some new information to be tiding us along with! :poki:

• Moderators

It's unlikely you'll be getting anything substantial this close to C11, as all their time will be on sorting everything out for that, so all the other events will be on the backburner so to speak. And even a week or two after the event too.

After that though, I'd expect the focus to shift, and hopefully everything will get moving - not just for this but the other events too :vader:

It's unlikely you'll be getting anything substantial this close to C11, as all their time will be on sorting everything out for that, so all the other events will be on the backburner so to speak. And even a week or two after the event too.

After that though, I'd expect the focus to shift, and hopefully everything will get moving - not just for this but the other events too :pyth:

:pyth: You do realise that you've made some of us feel a lot better by this post, don't you? :sleep::pyth:

• Moderators

I just want to see you calm down a bit :angel:

I know how busy they are dealing with C11 stuff, let alone anything else right now, so I'm not surprised there's not been anything major in recent weeks, and I don't expect that to change.

Sportsmania/Musicmania have been updated because I think a different guy is mostly working on those.

There's not been any major updates for any other events bar maybe one or two for LFACC, but nothing for Glasgow etc so this isn't the only quiet one :thumbup:

I just want to see you calm down a bit :P

You also realise that now I can't get the image of Harry Enfield in a shell-suit, a black curly wig and with a black moustache out of my head, don't you? :lol::lol::lol:

I know how busy they are dealing with C11 stuff, let alone anything else right now, so I'm not surprised there's not been anything major in recent weeks, and I don't expect that to change.

Sportsmania/Musicmania have been updated because I think a different guy is mostly working on those.

There's not been any major updates for any other events bar maybe one or two for LFACC, but nothing for Glasgow etc so this isn't the only quiet one :smile:

^_^ I know you're right, honest I do - I just tend to panic every so often... :eek::eek::lol:

I just want to see you calm down a bit :smile:

Yes, but you have to realise that SM posted "another show will have a special rate at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel where the event in being held. The rates and a codenumber which will need to be used to access this special rate will be announced here in the next couple of days."

back on 20th February, and have apparently steadfastly failed to answer queries about it since, or even to say "aaah, bit of a hitch, please bear with us."

so you can see why people might be a bit nervous/worried.

"Recent weeks", yes, but over nine weeks?

And yes, I know you don't work for SM...

(my use of bold, btw).