Steven Berkoff £15

Barbara Carrera £20

Linda Regan £10

Catherine Schell £15

Gavan O'Herlihy £15

Col. Al Worden £ ?

Fred Haise Apollo 13 £45

Captain Jim Lovell £75

Any decision yet on the facility to make one credit/debit card payment to cover all signatures required. I believe this has worked well in previous S/M shows and certainly does away with the problems of a wallet full of cash and difficulties in scrabbling around for the exact money.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I was a little disappointed that Lovell and Haise are charging such a high amount.

I have been to most of the Autographica's and the average price for a moonwalker seemed to be £30 or £35 with Buzz being the exception. Even though I have a number of Buzz autographs (I had met him twice previously) I was happy to part with £80 + £10 for a dedication to get the opportunity of getting a 'quality' autograph along with a good photo (I got this photo dedicated to my 1 year old son...hopefully a real inspiration for him in the future!). Yes, I know that the dedication devalues it as far as resale is concerned but sometimes that is not the priority.

Lovell charging £75, to me at least, seems very high, especially when compared against the Buzz autograph price. I already have a Lovell signed NASA WSS litho so I do question if I want to part with £75 (+ photo) for a second autograph.

I see the moonwalkers as being in the Premier division and other Apollo astronauts as being in the Championship, with most Shuttle astronauts being in League 2 or 3. One exception to this is McCandless, who I have to admit, is the big attraction for me. Had he not been there then I probably would not have bothered with this Autographica.

In the past I have been really pleased to have met Buzz (of course!), Leonov (at the Northampton Autographica), Valentina and the other moonwalkers (Bean, Mitchell and Duke).

I guess I will go this year but feel much less happy to part with big sums of money for (slightly) infeior guests.

Michael

Hi

I was a little disappointed that Lovell and Haise are charging such a high amount.

I have been to most of the Autographica's and the average price for a moonwalker seemed to be £30 or £35 with Buzz being the exception. Even though I have a number of Buzz autographs (I had met him twice previously) I was happy to part with £80 + £10 for a dedication to get the opportunity of getting a 'quality' autograph along with a good photo (I got this photo dedicated to my 1 year old son...hopefully a real inspiration for him in the future!). Yes, I know that the dedication devalues it as far as resale is concerned but sometimes that is not the priority.

Lovell charging £75, to me at least, seems very high, especially when compared against the Buzz autograph price. I already have a Lovell signed NASA WSS litho so I do question if I want to part with £75 (+ photo) for a second autograph.

I see the moonwalkers as being in the Premier division and other Apollo astronauts as being in the Championship, with most Shuttle astronauts being in League 2 or 3. One exception to this is McCandless, who I have to admit, is the big attraction for me. Had he not been there then I probably would not have bothered with this Autographica.

In the past I have been really pleased to have met Buzz (of course!), Leonov (at the Northampton Autographica), Valentina and the other moonwalkers (Bean, Mitchell and Duke).

I guess I will go this year but feel much less happy to part with big sums of money for (slightly) infeior guests.

Michael

I'm sure the astronaut guests will be happy to hear of your grading system :dance: . Seriously... James Lovell was the CMP on the FIRST voyage to the moon (Apollo 8)... if it weren't for him and his crewmates proving that navigation between two celestial bodies was possible I doubt if Aldrin would have got to walk on the moon. As far as I can see... Lovell is the BIGGEST guest Autographica have ever had... certainly he's never done a public signing event like this before... how many has Aldrin done? I dunno... but its at least 10-15 times more than Aldrin. This is also the first public signing by Fred Haise.... that's both the surviving crew members of the Apollo 13 crew in the one place... and both are signing.

You might think Lovell charging £75 is high... but its on a par with what he charged for a mailed-in signing nearly 2 years ago... so as far as I'm concerned the price is fair.

Can't please everyone though I guess.

Hi

Michael

How can you compare Buzz Aldrin and Jim Lovell on a like to like basis. Both are true heroes for different reasons and examples of living history in their own right and to refer to the latter as inferior is, in my opinion, way out of order.

Hi

Michael

How can you compare Buzz Aldrin and Jim Lovell on a like to like basis. Both are true heroes for different reasons and examples of living history in their own right and to refer to the latter as inferior is, in my opinion, way out of order.

You also have to remember that these are private individuals and (may I say) getting on in years and probably find if it difficult been dragged across the Atlantic and shoved in front of some bright lights and a mass of public.

Lets show them some respect.

I won't be asking any questions but thanking them for there work and entertainment/interest over the years.

regards one an' all,

von Dawson's Express

PS the above comment 'How can you compare...' is so true...

I previously wrote...

"I was a little disappointed that Lovell and Haise are charging such a high amount."

and...

"I guess I will go this year but feel much less happy to part with big sums of money for (slightly) infeior guests."

I did go to the show today and found Haise to be very friendly and affable. Although I wanted a few pix of myself, my 2 year old son and him (not easy to organsie with a two year old!!!), he happily obliged saying something like "I know what's it's like, I'm a grandad" whilst I was struggling with my little boy. I came away with a good impression of him...'seemed like a nice guy', I thought.

McCandless was happy to sign with an inscription and to pose for photos...nice guy I thought.

However... even though I was virtually the last person to get to see Lovell (there was literally only one person behind me!) I felt as though I got the bum's rush. For £75, he was quick to sign the photo and said something to the effect of "I have to move onto the next one". My wife, who is not interested in space at all but knew of Lovell and Haise through the Apollo 13 film, thought he could have been more friendly... I agreed. Regardless of the money aspect (he charged a lot more than Haise) I think he could have been more friendly and at least tried to have appeared interested.

Someone wrote on the forum, in response to my original mailing:

"You also have to remember that these are private individuals and (may I say) getting on in years and probably find if it difficult been dragged across the Atlantic and shoved in front of some bright lights and a mass of public. Lets show them some respect".

The truth is they are not 'dragged across the Atlantic'. They CHOOSE to come and are rewarded very well for coming to the show. Do not kid yourself that they are doing it for YOUR benefit. I have met Buzz Aldrin twice at different signing's (Leicester Space Centre and Autographica) and each time he has engaged in conversation with the people who have gone to meet him. Yes, he was an expensive signer at Autographica but I did not begrudge the cost... after all, he is Buzz Aldrin (RESPECT!!!). Lovell only seemed interested in taking the money. There was a sign up saying 'No posed photos' (although he did consent to pose for some with myself and my boy Sam). It was only afterwards that I thought that he probably does not want to pose for photos because he was also doing a photo session (ie you pay extra to have a professional photo taken with him).

I am sure other people will now write in saying that it was probably the end of a very long day for him and that when they met him he was really nice...sadly that was not my experience.

Buzz Aldrin is going to the next show and I have to say that he is a much nicer guy to meet and, even though he will be a little bit more expensive than Lovell, I am sure his autograph represents much better value than Lovell's from an investment point of view.

Lovell

Michael

Haise was excellent - especially with the younger elements. He was positioned close to others he knew like Liebergot and McCandless so there was a buzz about the room

Lovell was plonked on his own away from anyone else...unsure why but that isolation seemed to make him somehow less friendly

Choogle, I totally agree with you, but it wasn’t that you were at the end of the day. My virtual queue ticket number was 73, and I saw Lovell at about 1045 on Saturday. Now, both myself and my wife had gold passes, so technically were able to have two "meets" with him but, except for queuing we were with him for a total of 30 seconds before being ushered out. I was left feeling deflated and slightly sorry for spending the money, don’t get me wrong, I do have a personalised signature of Lovell but its not worth it. I can’t help but get that feeling whenever I look at it! I even asked for the mission to be Apollo 8, and that was written on the card, but went unheeded. I stumped up the extra for a professional photo, but couldn’t help but feel sorry for Haise, getting told to move away all the time for single photos. I think a one price suits all approach would have been better, £25 for one £45 for both, smells distinctly like greed to me! (And I had to leave a description of myself with the photographer so he can post my photo) I did hear that some moneys collected were for charity? Can one of the organisers confirm this?

Best thing of the day for me? McCandless and Worden, excellent photo's and had time for a chat with no pressure.

I do appreciate that to organise a day like this is not easy, and I extend a big thank you to all who made it happen, including the hotel staff.

I know what you are saying about Lovell's signing being rushed but, to do him justice, I'm not sure that was his fault. I spoke to him a couple of times when he wasn't signing and he seemed very nice. His 'minders' did seem a bit officious though and I think it was them who set the tone in the autograph room.

As regards having photos taken with him, again he was very happy to pose at other times during the weekend, so I don't think he was worried about losing out in the professional photoshoot. I was told that my husband could take a photo of Jim Lovell at the signing table with me leaning over it. When I did this, a (professional?) photographer who was in the room said that no posed shots were allowed, but the member of staff overruled him. Jim Lovell certainly didn't complain about the photo being taken.

It is sad that some people didn't get to enjoy meeting him as much as others but, having had a good experience myself, I think it would be a shame for Jim Lovell to get the blame for the problems.

Fiona

Buzz Aldrin is going to the next show and I have to say that he is a much nicer guy to meet and, even though he will be a little bit more expensive than Lovell, I am sure his autograph represents much better value than Lovell's from an investment point of view.

Lovell

Michael

I wonder how many people collect these autographs as Investment's or for pleasure? I wonder how many of thos pictures taken this weekend are already on Ebay?

Hi Ian,

The point I was trying to make is that Buzz can, to a large degree, justify the amount he charges as he knows what is autograph is worth. Using that thinking I guess that is also the justification for Lovell's price (though for some reason I can't see it myself).

It's noticable that Buzz previously and Lovell charged extra to complete a mission set.

People do collect autographs for investments. I guess I do and I don't. It is nice to buy an item which actually appreciates in value (like a work of art, would be a good comparison). There is no shame in this!

At a previous Autographica I paid £80 for a Buzz autograph and a further £10 for a dedication to my son. From an investment point of view that was foolish as the dedication actually brings the value down but I was keen to have a signed photo for my son...hopefully as an inspirational piece for him to have in the future (he was nearly 1 year old at the time we met Buzz!). At this Autographica I got a McCandless signed/dedicated photo for him and a undedicated one for me. I have no intention of selling my copy but I simply didn't feel the need to have it dedicated. The Lovell and Haise photo I have (Apollo 13 at take-off) is undedicated. I already had their autographs on WSS lithos (how I prefer Apollo autographs) but I was keen to meet them.

To my knowledge no autographs have appeared on Ebay as of yet.

It is OK to collect autographs for fun and/or investment. I have no interest in the film celebs and only collect autographs of PEOPLE I am interested in (mainly music/football/space ones and a few historical). The night before going to Autographica I went to a talk given by Niall Quinn (ex Sunderland and Arsenal). I got three autographs from him along with a few photos...because I support Sunderland and he means something to me.

Best wishes

Choogle

• Showmasters Admin

Choogle, I totally agree with you, but it wasn’t that you were at the end of the day. My virtual queue ticket number was 73, and I saw Lovell at about 1045 on Saturday. Now, both myself and my wife had gold passes, so technically were able to have two "meets" with him but, except for queuing we were with him for a total of 30 seconds before being ushered out. I was left feeling deflated and slightly sorry for spending the money, don’t get me wrong, I do have a personalised signature of Lovell but its not worth it. I can’t help but get that feeling whenever I look at it! I even asked for the mission to be Apollo 8, and that was written on the card, but went unheeded. I stumped up the extra for a professional photo, but couldn’t help but feel sorry for Haise, getting told to move away all the time for single photos. I think a one price suits all approach would have been better, £25 for one £45 for both, smells distinctly like greed to me! (And I had to leave a description of myself with the photographer so he can post my photo) I did hear that some moneys collected were for charity? Can one of the organisers confirm this?

Best thing of the day for me? McCandless and Worden, excellent photo's and had time for a chat with no pressure.

I do appreciate that to organise a day like this is not easy, and I extend a big thank you to all who made it happen, including the hotel staff.

ALL money raised by Captain Lovell and Captain Haise was donated to charity.

And to expect a 79 year old man to constantly stand up and pose for every one of the thousand people who wanted to see him is just exceptionally naive and quite frankly selfish! Opportunities were provided with the photo session so that you could have a proper posed photo with the astronauts without them being put under the strain of constantly standing and sitting, and for those who didn't want to pay for the professional photoshoot there were also ample opportunities during the drinks receptions and dinner for you to take the photos yourselves.

As for feeling rushed during the signing sessions, well that is exactly what they were... signing sessions! This was your opportunity to acquire an autograph in person rather than from a third party, and if you are no longer happy with it you can quite easily sell it for considerably more than you paid for it, even with a dedication. And if you were at the back of that queue you would not be happy that people in front of you were taking time to have a quick chat and ask questions. That was why we have the lectures and various evening receptions. Even at the end of the signing session you seriously couldn't expect Capt. Lovell to stop and have a chat. He's an elderly gentleman who has spent all day signing autographs and being in the public eye and I don't blame him one bit for wanting to get to the end of the queue so that he could finally relax.

We do try to provide opportunities for you to interact and socialise with the guests at Autographica with the likes of the drinks receptions, gala dinner, photo sessions, lectures, and even the impromptue gatherings in the bar at night. But you have to understand that we are a business at the end of the day, and we have to at least cover the large costs of bringing such great icons half way across the globe so that you can meet them. Make a list of the people you met this weekend and then work out how much it would have cost you (both financially and in terms of time and effort) to travel around the world meeting them rather than them coming to you!