• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

Here is more info on the venue:

Braehead Centre Upper Level:

braeheadupper.gif

Braehead Centre Lower Level

(The Entrance to the Arena will be near the food court on this level)

braeheadlower.gif

The Braehead Centre in relation to Central Glasgow and the airport:

braeheadmap.jpg

The airports hotels are good locations for the venue (looks walkable). Does anyone know how far Glasgows central train station is from the venue/airport? (for anyone, like myself, coming from London Euston). Cheers. :YAHOO:

Last time I went to Glasgow was about 18 months ago; myself and two friends flew BMI from Heathrow for about £50 each, and if I remember correctly the taxi we took from the airport to our hotel (less than half a mile from the central railway station) cost about £17 and took about 15-20 minutes.

I've found on visits to Glasgow that whilst I can sometimes get cheaper fares on the trains if I really shop around, the flight method winds up cheaper as I can usually save on a night or two in a hotel. (Of course, that all depends on how much you would be spending on a hotel, and how much you would be spending eating/drinking out for another night as well).

Anyway, 15-20 minutes in a cab, given that quite a bit was on a motorway is probably an average speed of 30mph, so say 7.5-10 miles.

More precisely, from http://www.glasgowairport.com/portal/contr...000147e120a____

Glasgow airport postcode is PA3 2RS

and from the bottom of http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/855.aspx

Glasgow Central Station is G1 3SL

Stick those into maps.google.co.uk and you get a driver's route distance of 8.6 miles. And that's not a particularly circuitous route - even as the crow flies it looks like 7 miles.

That's the distance from the central rail to the airport. So how about from the rail station to Braehead shopping centre?

From http://www.braehead.co.uk/content.php?page...munity_feedback

the postcode for the Braehead shopping centre is G51 4BN. Stick that and the central railway station postcode into the google maps URL and you get a distance of 6.3 miles by road. It may only be about 4.5 miles as the crow flies, but looking at the map I can't see a walking route that would be much under six miles.

Edited by TommyT

The airports hotels are good locations for the venue (looks walkable). Does anyone know how far Glasgows central train station is from the venue/airport? (for anyone, like myself, coming from London Euston). Cheers. :thumbup:

Anyway, 15-20 minutes in a cab, given that quite a bit was on a motorway is probably an average speed of 30mph, so say 7.5-10 miles.

More precisely, from http://www.glasgowairport.com/portal/contr...000147e120a____

Glasgow airport postcode is PA3 2RS

and from the bottom of http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/855.aspx

Glasgow Central Station is G1 3SL

Stick those into maps.google.co.uk and you get a driver's route distance of 8.6 miles. And that's not a particularly circuitous route - even as the crow flies it looks like 7 miles.

That's the distance from the central rail to the airport. So how about from the rail station to Braehead shopping centre?

From http://www.braehead.co.uk/content.php?page...munity_feedback

the postcode for the Braehead shopping centre is G51 4BN. Stick that and the central railway station postcode into the google maps URL and you get a distance of 6.3 miles by road. It may only be about 4.5 miles as the crow flies, but looking at the map I can't see a walking route that would be much under six miles.

The SMs map is quite deceptive (in terms of scale) and there isn't really any kind of walking route from Glasgow Central Train Station, or from Glasgow Airport, as within Glasgow the M8 motorway is pretty heavily relied upon.

I would still suggest a hotel at the airport and a short taxi (or bus) ride from there. If you're not keen on flying and you're getting a train into Glasgow you could get the train from there to Paisley Gilmour Street, but again there would be significant walking involved. Your best bet would be to get a the number 55 bus from Buchanan Bus Station, which is 5/10 mins walk from Central.

The SMs map is quite deceptive (in terms of scale) and there isn't really any kind of walking route from Glasgow Central Train Station, or from Glasgow Airport, as within Glasgow the M8 motorway is pretty heavily relied upon.

I would still suggest a hotel at the airport and a short taxi (or bus) ride from there. If you're not keen on flying and you're getting a train into Glasgow you could get the train from there to Paisley Gilmour Street, but again there would be significant walking involved. Your best bet would be to get a the number 55 bus from Buchanan Bus Station, which is 5/10 mins walk from Central.

Dude. Walking to Braehead from Gilmour Street? Not doable for someone in my state of health, for sure. I know how far a walk that is. :WINCE:

Dude. Walking to Braehead from Gilmour Street? Not doable for someone in my state of health, for sure. I know how far a walk that is. :P

I don't suggest anyone walk from Braehead to the Glasgow Airport Hotels!! The M8 traffic is very unlikely to stop or slow down for you!!!!!!!!! :o

Edited by Cherrypie23uk

:gorgeous: By Taxi people should allow for 5-10 mins travelling time from Airport Hotels to Braehead Arena. Taxi's should only cost between £5.00 - £7.00 maximum. A good private taxi firm is 'Glasgow Private Hire 01417743000'

If folks are travelling from city centre hotels, there are buses available from Buchanan Street Bus Station or you can again take a taxi. A Taxi from Glasgow City Centre may take up to 20 mins to reach Braehead Arena depending on traffic at specific times of day. Folks should expect to pay £10.00 - £15.00 for a taxi. Again Glasgow Private Hire is an excellent company and at quite times can have a taxi with you before you have left your front door.

I hope this helps as a native Glaswegian any questions can be asked whenever! I'm on here or on yahoo under the same name. :P

The SMs map is quite deceptive (in terms of scale)

or rather, it doesn't have a scale displayed so you can see quite how large an area it is :YAHOO:

If you're not keen on flying and you're getting a train into Glasgow you could get the train from there to Paisley Gilmour Street, but again there would be significant walking involved.

I should say it would be significant. Using the postcodes of several pubs near to Paisley Gilmour Street (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml/tr/951) suggest that even that station is nearly 4 miles from the venue.

Your best bet would be to get a the number 55 bus from Buchanan Bus Station, which is 5/10 mins walk from Central.

Got to be a better bet than walking!

• Showmasters Admin

Braehead Shopping Centre is NOT in glasgow its in renfrew closest town is paisly 15 min on the train from glasgow bus servive is good to get there though 2 or 3 different ones that go out that way there is a escape there also and a ice rink so will be like being at mk center lol

Technically no, it's not in Glasgow city centre, but it is still classed as being in the district of Glasgow (their address is Kings Inch Road, Glasgow, G51 4BN).

And besides, if Luton Airport can be classed as one of the London airports when it is over an hour's drive away then I think a 15 min drive will be ok! :lol:

Andrea

I had no idea where the event was other than "Glasgow" and the fact it has now shimmied still makes no difference to me as it's still, as Andrea says, in "Glasgow" B) I have nothing booked as I don't have a job yet and would feel a bit cheeky asking for 3 bankholidays off :D darn you people for putting this event on a bankholiday noooo! :dance: (or rather darn my chosen profession to treat every day of the year - yes weekend, bankholidays, Christmas etc - as the same, urrrrrg! :D )

surfy sah xx

• 1 month later...

Think you must be crazy moving a sci-fi CONVENTION away from a CONVENTION centre to shopping mall. The venue is the worst thing about the CM:MK events. The queues are sorted and work well now, but you still get lollygaggers getting in the way. If CM:MK was in a proper hall it would be perfect. Seems like madness to move the Glasgow event. Still it's too far for me to go anyway but hope LF&CC doesn't got he same way :-s

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still freaked on this one. I'll probably end up not going to this convention, because as I've said, my ex works at Braehead, and our break-up was extremely acrimonious, and he's really, really scary when he's angry, which he will be if he bumps into me. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, the move is a good one. Braehead Arena is a far easier venue to get to actually than the SECC, which is out in the middle of nowhere. Plus, it shows that more than just Glasgow can hold events like this.

So I say, well done to Braehead for getting this event and we should go there in our droves to make sure this event is a genuine success and becomes a regular part of the calendar.