March Collectormania G-Mex – IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

It’s been an interesting couple of days. As you know, yesterday we discovered that our original dates for Collectormania G-Mex 3 were double booked, and that we would have to move them to 17th and 18th March, the only other dates in March we could run the show. These dates have also caused us some concern, so we have decided to just list the pros and cons and our thoughts of running the event at G-Mex in March.

Pros and Cons for going ahead:

Pros

There are a large number of fans, including many local to Manchester, who were looking forward to attend the event.

Cons

Our new dates do not work out for many of the guests we were closing deals with to attend Manchester.

Our new dates clash with Mothers Day, which will make it difficult for some people to attend, crew and fans alike.

Our new dates clash with St Patrick’s Day, which will make it difficult for some people to attend.

Our new dates clash with a Manchester United home game vs. Bolton. This has a huge knock-on effect on hotels in the town, affecting our guest and crew accommodation, and which will also hit people travelling to Manchester to attend the event.

Our new dates clash with an event run by our friends at Tenth Planet, something we wish to avoid.

Our new dates also clash with a number of other events in other parts of the country; as well as not wanting to clash with them, several of our crew and other people who would otherwise attend will be affected.

We’ve come to the conclusion that this event is just not meant to be for March, so we have decided that it is best to cancel this event. It really saddens us to have to do this, as we really enjoy running this event and we were looking forward to putting on an event to be proud of, but with so much stacked against it, that would be hard to achieve. Sorry to those that have been inconvenienced.

On a positive note, this leaves us free time now to develop some projects that we didn’t feel we had time to run. One of these is another show UK; upon talking to Dirk tonight (the organiser of another show Germany) we both agreed we would have time to run another show at the end of the year. We will be in discussions tomorrow to schedule dates for this year’s another show, and should be announcing dates for it in the next few days.

We would like to reassure everybody that we will be going back to Manchester, and in fact the dates for the next Manchester event will be 17th and 18th November 2007.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gawd you really are lousy, I know other conventions that are better than this one but turns out thats the only one closest and can easily get to.

And also I wasted good money buying a cosplay costume and it turns out that the convention is cancled.

Gawd the only mistake is living near Manchester.

I never thought I'd be standing up for SM, but the double booking wasnt their fault and there's no point them putting on a show when they cant get the guests for the new date and the chances of there being as many visitors as they need are low. You're just being silly now, there's another gmex in November, you can wait to put on your costume till then cant you?

Gawd you really are lousy, I know other conventions that are better than this one but turns out thats the only one closest and can easily get to.

And also I wasted good money buying a cosplay costume and it turns out that the convention is cancled.

I never thought I'd be standing up for SM, but the double booking wasnt their fault and there's no point them putting on a show when they cant get the guests for the new date and the chances of there being as many visitors as they need are low. You're just being silly now, there's another gmex in November, you can wait to put on your costume till then cant you?

I am not being silly, I don't see why it should be canceled for all the wrong reasons, sure it hasn't got enough guests, There are probobly crap anyway like last time except Freddy Kruggar^_^

I am not being silly, I don't see why it should be canceled for all the wrong reasons, sure it hasn't got enough guests, There are probobly crap anyway like last time except Freddy Kruggar^_^

I'm sorry, but I agree with SM for hvaing cancelling, I'm sure this is a last resort for SM, they do there best and more to bring us the most amazing guests and events, which they succeed everytime. There are lot of reasons why they have cancelled, as stated in their post. It was still early days for guest annoucements as a couple of months away. As for they being crap, I think you are wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion. Showmasters have never failed to deliver before! But like I said you are entitled to your opinion.

Edited by Marina

Whilst this news saddens me, and even managed to shock me. Not in a bad way, but it shocks me because I have been a fan of the show since C1 my first ever event. I have never looked back, Showmasters have always worked through many difficult situations and found ways around it.

The cons here really are true and if I were in SM's shoes, I doubt I would have tried to continue with the event just like SM. I believe that this is a sad day for SM, but I know that they have tried their hardest.

Things like this will happen, so ill join with everyone in sitting back, being patient and eagarly awaiting the next big event, which im sure SM will endeavour to make up for the inconvenience to some.

Keep up the good work at towers and good luck with future shows.

Keeping the support from here.

Regards

A

Then it's a good job they cancelled then, looks like they've done you a favour! :D

Do you mean Robert Englund, who played the character of Freddy Kruggar er... Krueger?

• Moderators

It would be so easy to carry on regardless, take peoples money for entrance etc, and put on a sub-par event. I know people would be happy to see friends etc, but undoubtedly the experience wouldn't be up to the standards that Showmasters aspire to.

Cancelling the event is a sensible move, and while it's inconvenient to some people (especially from a financial perspective) it's honestly for the best.

Weren't you one of the first who said she didn't like the new date seeing a certain stall was committed to another show? :thumbup:

I agree with jacksparrowsmistress, looks like Showmasters is doing everyone a favor.

The only sad thing is that this means I can't go now. I will be in the US at that time. :YAHOO:

Ouch!

First the date change due to the gmex idiots, now the whole thing cancelled :YAHOO: And I almost went and booked train tickets again last night!!

Def glad I didnt have to book time off work for it as I only get 4 weeks a year (yeah, and try fitting 13 events into that :thumbup: ) and it is annoying, but can see SM's point.

Means i'll have to wait even longer now though to meet up with friends for a weekend :YAHOO: but upside is, saves me a lot of money lol

Then it's a good job they cancelled then, looks like they've done you a favour! :thumbup:

Do you mean Robert Englund, who played the character of Freddy Kruggar er... Krueger?

Yeah, Thats who I meant^_^