book 7 (spoilers)

wiccawise21

come on guys!! lets get speculating...

i found the definition of hallow...

1. to make holy; sanctify; consecrate.

2. to honor as holy; consider sacred; venerate: to hallow a battlefield.

so if you are to make something holy would you have to speak a blessing? could this be a spell of some kind? in that case maybe deathly hallows are curses??

there is also an athurian legend that talks of hallows as treasures. a bit like the holy grail. they were holy items that were highly sought after and protected by four guards. the founders maybe?

there are 13 hallows in this legend. heres are a few...

'Dyrnwyn, the Sword of Rhydderch the Generous';

Possessing the ability to burst into flame.

(fawkes maybe?)

'The Chariot of Morgan the Wealthy';

Possessing the ability to travel at great speed to any location.

(the firebolt?)

'The Chessboard of Gwenddolau';

Possessing the ability to play by itself.

(seen in COS?)

'The Mantle of Arthur'.

Possessing the ability to make the wearer invisible to any observer.

(invisibility cloak?)

or maybe i am just reading far too much into this. what do you think?

=x=

Taken in relation to "Hallowmass" (ie: Halloween), "Hallows" referred to "saints" (and mass to the gathering of saints), so "Deathly Hallows"...hmmmm..... :firedevil:

I think it will relate to Voldemort and the process by which one creates a Horcrux. I have another theory but it's a spoiler for anyone who hasn't read HBP. ;)

do tell us the theory.

the thread has a spoiler warning and if you spoiler your post too it should be fine. im dying to find out what people think.

=x=

Taken in relation to "Hallowmass" (ie: Halloween), "Hallows" referred to "saints" (and mass to the gathering of saints), so "Deathly Hallows"...hmmmm..... :firedevil:

I think it will relate to Voldemort and the process by which one creates a Horcrux. I have another theory but it's a spoiler for anyone who hasn't read HBP. ;)

i thought halloween was 'all souls' rather than saints? though both definitions seem relevant in the context anyway - dumbledore did say that voldemort was looking special souls for the horcrux process, thus implying more common souls would suffice for other wizards.

spoiler for OOtP (since i know some ppl are reading slowly ;) ) : Department of mysteries room is a possibility, since we know that room with the arch is related to death, and we also know that the location within the ministry is fairly well protected - add in the statue things that protected harry before, and there seems to be a saintly reference (well, it deflected avada kedavara, pretty good going for an apparently inanimate statue don't'cha think??) and add in the part where its the leadership point for all of wizarding britain, possibly the world - that makes it rather sacred ground in its own right. don't ask me what exactly could be related to that room, i dunno, but its a possibility...

Taken in relation to "Hallowmass" (ie: Halloween), "Hallows" referred to "saints" (and mass to the gathering of saints), so "Deathly Hallows"...hmmmm..... :angry:

I think it will relate to Voldemort and the process by which one creates a Horcrux. I have another theory but it's a spoiler for anyone who hasn't read HBP. :smile:

do tell us the theory.

the thread has a spoiler warning and if you spoiler your post too it should be fine. im dying to find out what people think.

=x=

My other theory (in relation to the title) is that "Deathly Hallows" is a reference to "Deathly saints", and since you can't become a saint until you've passed on, the last book in the series will feature Dumbledore returning to help Harry in his final moments. I think it'll all be very much like Gandalf in The Two Towers. Also, since Harry's parents were also "saintly" in life, he'll no doubt have a final moment with them before the end of the story.

Rowling's reference to "two major characters" meeting their end? I'm going for Harry and Voldemort, since their only function in the story thus far seems to have been to kill one another. Both of them dying would seal it up nicely. Of course, what would become of Harry if he survived? He'd still be depressed, as killing Voldemort wouldn't bring his parents back. I suppose he could marry Ginny & get a job at the ministry, just in case Rowling decides to do "Harry Potter: The Ministry Years" in about 10-20 years time. ;)

I wonder where exactly Harry will go in book 7? As he's left school and he's quite famous, he'll be easy to spot if he goes about in public. Thus I'm guessing he'll be all "covert" and be hanging around the more dodgey areas of the wizarding world to try & find Voldemort. As for the major story arc, I'm not sure what it'll be this time. Be honest, all of the previous books have had the Harry/Voldemort storyline as a kind of "background" thread. POA was really about Sirius, GOF was really about the Tri-Wizard tournament, OOTP was really about Umbridge & co. taking control of the school, etc.

What does everyone else think the major storyline will consist of in the 7th book?

And then there's the never-ending debate about Snape. Good? Bad? Can't decide? What does everyone think the final outcome of that will be?

Discuss away people. ;)

Hmm i dont know what to think im still unsure that sirius is really dead, i mean we dont have an actual dead body yet as it fell behind the veil and with all stories and films until you find a body theres always that slight chance to bring them back into the frame. Dumbledore will still be able to help Harry as even though he's dead his painting will be in the Headmasters office so its sort of an Obi-wan Luke thing going on there.

I still think the 2 that will die will be Voldermort and Snape! Im adamant that Snape is good he's had so many chances to kill Harry even though i know he couldnt before goblet of fire because Volvdermort needed his blood to be bought back, he's had plenty of chances since then to do it even in the last book but he didnt so surely if he was just one of the bad guys he wouldve done it by now,why not if Voldermort has tried to kill harry it would be the easiest way to just kill him at school!! And i think its pretty obvious that Dumbledore told Snape to kill him lets face it the last 2 books have been going on about occlumency etc.

Anyway thats just some things ive been thinking about any suggestions!?? :yoda:

i think the format of the 7th book is going to be a lot different to that of the other books. firstly we have no hogwarts so it doesnt have to follow the school year. and secondly we finished the lst book part way through the school year because of DD. the students were sent home early.

so maybe we will have a storyline that runs from where we left off to a finale on all hallows eve?

i keep changing my mind about harry dying. at the minute i think he will survive. but that might be wishful thinking because i really want him to live. but i certainly think voldemort will die. he has to because there will be no ending otherwise, right?

i also agree that snape will die. i think that he is ultimately a good guy. he did what he did because DD told him too. it was all part of the master plan. in DH snape will have to do something huge to prove to harry that he is a good guy or else he will die and harry wont find out until after when it is too late to help him. harry doesnt seem the forgiving type when it comes to snape. not without good cause of course.

what does everyone think to the arthurian legend? could the hallows in the ttitle refer to the horcruxes? or is it a place?

=x=