Anyone going in costume?

Hellion44

:thumbup::o

Oh my GOD! I am in total awe of you two (Wyrdsister & Waldmaid). You make my attempts look pretty lame.

Total GobSmack city!!!!

You will have to wear those Waldmaid! It would be criminal not to.

No matter how hard I work and how much attention to detail I give I could never match those skills.

You should host a costume/dress making session or something. To see work like that it simply inspires.

Yep, I am slow too. I suppose anything worth doing takes time. And I take a lot of time! Mind you I do get distracted easily. Especially by this forum.

Back to my attempts I suppose? ;)

PS How did you get a picture on here? I still can not do it?

Elwyn/Jo

:YAHOO:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Elwyn,

you need a picture witch is saved on a webside. Than it has an URL adress you need. If you click on the picture with the right mouse button you get a window open. There you find the URL. It starts with http://and than the place where it is saved. Than insert this adresse in your text, mark it, an than go to the treepicture in the headline. Ready :P

• 4 weeks later...

Well, still not entirely sure if it's just postponed, or next year...but I'll go as Coronation Arwen...

what's a coronation elf? If I do go as an elf then I gotta order some latex ears lol

It's Arwen in her Coronation gown... :wub:

Sounds great. I've seen a pic of it (if you are who I think you are) and its good. If I go I will be wearing my costume legend that is my Legolas. I don't have any up to date pics at the mo. I do intend to do a photo shoot of my Leggy now that the quiver has been remade. I'll post it in the costume section.

Thank you.

It's this one:

CC1.jpg

But I can only go if they do day tickets...Post a couple here too when you've finished?

Yeap, thats the one I've seen before. I hope to go for the whole thing and get some of Team Savvy to go with. My Leggy up to date (still not finished)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/Leg...e2002/Leggy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/Leg...2002/Leggy2.jpg

There is the white knifes to be added. which will be in wood or foam. I'm also redoing the leather arm gurads and leg wraps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:dance:

Anyone busy with costumes yet?

I'm still planning a cute elf dress. Just got to buy the lining fabric before starting.

I get really nervous before starting a dress and keep putting it off.

I have finished a lilac number. Accented with Swarovski crystal beads. Well sparkly.

Jo ;)

I get really nervous before starting a dress and keep putting it off.

Jo :dance:

Me too! :wub:

Got the pattern, got most of the fabrics, done the drawing, designed the jewellery........

now just need to get started....:YAHOO:

Here's my first dress....

http://www.heathercoleman.co.uk/MISC/dress.jpg

Some of you may remember that it's based on Susan's coronation gown in the Narnia film.

The dress part is complete and this is the first time I've pinned on the sleeves and trimmings on so I'm really excited. :wub:

I've never done any dressmaking on my own before and I'm now completely addicted. The only time I really get to relax is when I'm swimming and I just keep going back and forth in the pool designing elf dresses in my head.

Can't wait.

Heather

;)

Wow,

Heather that's absolutely gorgeous. It looks well dreamy. You'd never tell that's your first dress making venture. You do have a talent for this. It is amazing what passion and enthusiasm can make us do. It's great to add a little more magic to the world. Well done and good luck with finishing it. It looks nearly done. Is it? What else have you planned for it? That fabric is very Elvish. Where did you get it? What is it?

Well here is my most recent attempt.

http://johanneshorter.bravehost.com/2007.html

You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the page. (I do tend to write alot.) All credit to my friend for doing the web site and my husband for the photos.

Yep, still putting off my newest dress. I keep finding other stuff to do. I've done dozens of designs and started draping the fabric, etc, but still not ready to make the first cut. I hope I build up the courage before November, hehe.;)

Good Luck everyone!

:WINCE:

Jo

:huh:

Jo,

I totally agree with Voronwe, that dress is heavenly :blush: and the cloak is wonderful (very original).

In answer to you questions: The fabric I've used is a "spray dyed" crushed velvet in yellow and dark turquoise (that mix to make green). It's from Fabric World in Bristol and they have it in other colours as well.

As a novice it will probably take me another day to finish this one off (I'm a bit scared of sleeves so I've been avoiding it recently).

I have also found a couple of great velvets in a little shop in Bath recently. One is pale yellow and the other is a bluebell colour. I've not quite decided what to do with either of them yet.

It's a good job there's months left, I'd make a right mess if I was in a hurry. :wub:

Heather

Thank you Heather.

I used a mteallic shot viscose fabric. So it creases too easily. But the result is heavenly. The cloak was inspired by Urviel's cloak. But the dress was designed by me. I used no pattern. But made my own completely. It is so satisfying to make dream like gowns.

We all add a little magic to the world.

The fabric your dress is made of reminds me of the fabric I used for my dappled blue cloak. Do you remember it? I did not hem that at all. It was a good lazy type of project. But yours looks like the proper job. How are the sleeves coming? They will be beautiful. You will have a great time wearing such a beautiful creation.

Fabric world, I bought mine in Fabric Land. They sound similar don't they? Perhaps they are part of the same company. I have not seen that fabric any where else at all.

Those velvets sound like they have a lot of potential. Good Luck with them. And have fun!

I am still wimping out of starting my last dress. As the design stands at the moment there will not be a lot of embelishment on it. Only five and a half months to go. I hope I pluck up the courage in time.

Good Luck and have fun everyone!

Jo

:WINCE:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all my dressmaking faerie friends,

I've been meaning to post an update for weeks now but never seem to get round to it.

Fabric world, I bought mine in Fabric Land. They sound similar don't they? Perhaps they are part of the same company. I have not seen that fabric any where else at all.

:jason:

Having re-examined the carrier bag I find that it is indeed Fabric Land and they do have a shop in Southampton. Unfortunately, having looked again at the pictures of your dress, I realise that I've only gone and bought EXACTLY the same fabric. :unsure::D Oops

My plan was to do something like Arwen's "flashback" dress from the Two Towers. Very full & floaty, possibly bias cut, with a draped neck.

Anyway, my current project is Pre-Raphaelite inspired:

http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/paint...inting1365.aspx

The dress is mostly done, so I've got weeks of beading pearls all round the bottom to look forward to.

Anyone else with any news, I'm dying to hear,

Heather

:cylon:

Wow. That is going to be totally dreamy! And all those pearls on the bottom. My God! I can not believe it! It's going to be one to look forward too! OOHHH! I'm getting all over excited already!!!!! :vader:

Don't worry. I will not be wearing that cloak anyway! I have worn it to an event before. Your dress is much nicer than my cloak. You have done more justice to the fabric than I did!:huh:

I have made no progress on any costumes since my last post. :jason:

I will have to get to it. It's only five months away.

I'd better get busy.

Any more news from any one? I am elf dress mad.

Have fun.

Jo

Don't worry. I will not be wearing that cloak anyway! I have worn it to an event before. Your dress is much nicer than my cloak. You have done more justice to the fabric than I did!

Hi Jo,

I actually meant your NEW dress. The lilac shot viscose with the great gathered cloak over the top.

Anyway, mine was going to be very experimental, so there's plenty of time for me to mess it up.

I'm really chuffed with the way the Pre-Rapaelite one is turning out. I wanted to come up with a very simple pattern that used less fabric and not much construction, leaving me to concentrate on decoration and be able to splash out on more expensive fabrics. What I've ended up with only needs 3-4 meters of fabric (depending on sleeve style).

So the question that I've pondering for some time now is...exactly how many frocks is it sensible to have for the whole weekend. I reckon if you intend to stay in costume the whole time it's about 5 (or is that just going over the top). Any thoughts??

Heather

:huh:

Well, I do not plan to wear ordinary 'civvies' all week end!

I have made six or seven in total plus one I have not made... yet. I plan to take maybe five. That is not counting my Elven morning suit that I plan to use at breakfast time!

There is no such thing as over doing it!

I can not get enough of a good thing.

He he

Jo :jason:

• 1 month later...

:WAVE:

C,mon you guys!

About three months left!!! aahhhh.

How are the costumes coming?

I am on my last dress now. It is not going well... Oh well.

It is going to be a simple dress with sumptuous fabric. I hope.

Now there are announcements for the costume parade we will have to get our skates on. Well, I will anyway. Although I will not be competeing or parading on stage. I am too, er um, shy for that.

I would like the opportunity to show my dresses in an alternative format though.

Good luck everyone. I hope you are all having fun with it!!!

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't even started yet! I have been putting it off because of the lack of announcements but I will be making a start asap! I bought a tonne of fabic this week (and spent a tonne too!), and beads, and thread etc etc. I only plan to make two dresses for another show, as that is what I have made and taken in the past, plus I just don't have the time to do more! AND I have to make the boyf's costume as he can't sew!

Both the dresses I have planned are of my own design, although heavily inspired by the film costumes. One will be based on Eowyns Green Gown, and the other on a dress that isn't seen in the film, but is on alleycatscratch. I wanted plain midnight blue velvet for it, but unless I am willing to pay a small fortume, it will have to be crushed velvet!

I have loads of beading and embroidery to get through, but I should have two reasonable dresses by another show. A good thing about it being winter time when the con happens, its that it will be easier to wear a velvet dress! TFF in 2005 was hard work wearing my version of Eowyn's green gown...it was August!!!

Anyone know where I can get some heavily beaded/ebroidered trim from? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Anyone know where I can get some heavily beaded/embroidered trim from? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi, LT

Here are a few sources I have used:

www.calontirtrim.com - (embroidered trim) super selection, good prices, helpful*

www.realmofregalia.com - (embroidered trim) similar selection*

...and from Ebay:

www.ebay.co.uk/celtictrims - (embroidered trim) great selection, very helpful*

www.stores.ebay.com/Penelopes-Garden - (embroidered trim) similar selection*

www.stores.ebay.co.uk/Heritage-Trading - amazing selection of intricately beaded trims*

www.stores.ebay.co.uk/Indian-Textiles - unusual Indian embroidered and beaded trims, reasonable prices, (from India but quick delivery)

* from US - delivery can be around 3 weeks.

(Can't figure how to insert links, sorry, you'll need to copy and paste)

....also check out your local Asian fabric shops - I got some nice bits from a wonderfully chaotic store in the Laines in Brighton - but prices were about twice that of the US suppliers!

Hope this helps. :YAHOO:

Lady T - if you go on Ebay, or any fabric store, look for Sari material. It's always heavily embroidered and you can chop it up as you will to make trims out of it. *nods* What I've always done when I can't manage the beading and can't 'persuade' anybody to do it for me.

edit - okay, that'll teach me to read posts more thoroughly before I answer. lol.

Edited by Ealena

:P

YL. I know what you mean. Before I saw Lord of the Rings I had no sewing skill either. But I had such a passion to re create the beauty I saw it inspired me to teach myself. I wore my first creation to Return of the King. And that was simply an old dress I had modified with flashy fabric.

So you can just start small. And before you know it the bug has caught you!

If you need encouragement we are here. The more the merrier. There will be all sorts of costumes there. It would not be nice if you went and saw lots of people in their costumes and then regret not making one yourself. That may be worse.

If you want to be an elf though I have a cool cloak you can borrow!

With Love.

Jo

:P

Edited by Elwyn

Oh I've given up on my dress. As said further up, I'm having to hand stitch it because I don't own a sewing machine of my own (and my student budget isn't quite extending to buy me one - it's on the Xmas wishlist though *grin*) and my hands are murdered at the minute. Damn health. lol.

So, I'll just be wearing geeky D&D t-shirts instead. *nods*