Torchwood - LATEST EPISODE

RainbowDisney

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have now re-watched both episodes and like with the first season of the new series of Doctor Who, I have found that for me it seems to improve on the second veiwing.

The first episode on my intial viewing struck me as very pedestrian and to be honest I think it was good that they did episodes one and two back to back. I realise with pilot episodes you have to set the scene, relationships and set ups and that can sometimes weigh down the story.

The familiarity with the character of Jack does to some extent ease you into the series, however there is a recognizable change to the slightly more happy go lucky pre-resurection Jack. I warmed instantly to Toshiko and Ianto, the second of which surprised me I thought he was going to be a more dislikable character, but that honour I'm afraid falls on Owen. Owen I found to be for want of a better word slimy, but they may show more of him over time, personality wise, the second episode took care of the physically showing more of him.

The series is more adult in tone, language and content, the characters are more angst ridden due to their focused lives, which is highlighted by the double life of Gwen, although how long the boyfiend lasts / survives who knows. Gwen's inquisitive side brings her into the action and into Torchwood, and her naive perspective on their work makes her the eqivilent to The Doctor's companion in the parent show. The humour is more sardonic and the show also shows the downside of the work and the way Torchwood can become their own worst enemy' due to the artifacts the team individually get intregued by, this leads to the demise for one of the original team members and a lesson for Gwen, it also is a plot device to show a change in Jack.

The series does show potential and I think there is more layers for not only Jack and Gwen but the rest of the team to be discovered.

I have to say I felt a little disapointed with the first two episodes. I tried to watch with an open mind rather than " its a dr who spin off" and I did enjoy them to an extent but have to say this one was great. I really enjoyed this weeks epiode. The scene with the guns was so suttle but cute, I can see something happening there further down the line. The story was pretty good this week though I agree about owen, as someone else said he just seems...slimy. I am getting a bit bored with seeing cardiff (I know its set there doesn't mean I have to like it) I have to say I don't feel like I actually need to visit the city, feel like I know it so well!

So far its getting better, so long may it continue. I have a sneeky feeling that we may be seeing a brown suit wearing time traveller with a large blue box at some point towards the end of the series....

• Showmasters Admin

Next week is all about Ianto! *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* :o:D :unsure:

I wondered why his profile was offline on the Torchwood site. They must be updating his sections ready for next week.

The scene with the guns was so subtle....

... as a brick!

He can teach me to shoot guns any day!

Andrea

Next week is all about Ianto! *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* :(:D:unsure:

I wondered why his profile was offline on the Torchwood site. They must be updating his sections ready for next week.

... as a brick!

Andrea

oh darn it you spotted my sarcasm!! I second that motion on the gun shooting lesson!!

Next week is all about Ianto! *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* :unsure::D:P

... as a brick!

Andrea

oh darn it you spotted my sarcasm!! I second that motion on the gun shooting lesson!!

i want to third the motion on the shooting lesson!

have never watched torchwood before last night n that was the only bit i saw last night when i was flicking through the channels - but i definitely enjoyed that scene :poki:

This weeks episode revolved around ghosts and echos from the past induced by alien technology, the episode was reminscent of a Sapphire and Steel episode and I must admit I thought it was the P J Hammond contribution to the season, surprisingly I was wrong, his installment is in two weeks time.

The members of Torchwood are still attempting to establish themselves as a team but some how for me they are still not quite geling, although this may for me have been that that it was focusing mainly on one of the characters that I am not overly impressed by. I'm afraid to say even though the episode attempted to show a more caring and vunerable side of Owen it just didn't convince me. Maybe time is what is need for me to grow to like this character.

The other focus was the growing chemistry between Jack and Gwen and the scene in the shooting range to highlight this. Is this a sign of things to come? I suspect Rhys days are numbered, but the relationship between Jack and Gwen seems a bit too forced. There were also the personal ghosts for Gwen with her relationship and the effect her association with Torchwood, how her life has changed in a short space of time.

Gareth Thomas guest staring as Ed Morgan gave a decent performance showing that even though no formal punishment was paid for his crime, he still still paid a price with the argophobia and guilt, and when he lurches towards the knife he finally gives himself a sort of peace and Owen and Bernie a form of justice, and also a ghost to haunt Gwen.

I have heard that next week focus is more on Ianto who seemed to be vertually non existant this week, so I will be looking forward to that.

Have been watching it myself now, and still think it shows promise.

As has been said it's going to take a while for the characters to establish themselves in the series.

But I like the subtle hints and references to Doctor Who.

The 2nd episode with the hand in the jar, for example, surely people know whose hand that is?

If not then go and rewatch The Christmas Invasion...

At least that's my theory anyway!!

I have had a bit o a Dr Who/Torchwood day, first I rewatched Torchwood's 3rd episode, then I went to the Dr Who exhibition in Seacombe (Merseyside). On the way home I picked up a couple of packets of Battles in time cards and got the 9th & 10th Doctor cards and the Dalek Ultra Rare care, so I was quite pleased with myself.

But again I think Torchwood will be a great show! :P

I personally think that this was the best episode by far as it was, for once, not revolved around Gwen. We are getting to learn more about each of the characters now. Ianto was amazing in this weeks episode and, yes, I'll admit it.....I cried hehe!

BRING ON NEXT EPISODE!!

Well episode four of the season, what can i say, it was too early.

Personally I feel this episode should have been later in the season, firstly because of Ianto's role in Torchwood to clean up the mess the other members of the team leave behind. It would have been better to demonstrate this over larger chunk of the season and then bring in the stuation where the team's role is reversed and it is the other members that are cleaning up Iantos mistake. Secondly being a cyberman based story, I think it was too soon to have such a close link, baring the prescence of Jack to the parent show, it seems like a bit of a crutch for the show, as a contigency if the ratings didn't take off as expected.

Ianto's secrecy gives an incite not only into his background, but also the true nature of Torchwood of secrets, lies and mistakes and on how the organisation or those within it can be thier own worst enemy. It also begs the question if there is cybertechnology in the Cardiff basement, who else also has it or possibly something worse?

The team apart from Ianto due to his role in the episode did seem to bond better this week. Due to the tragic outcome for Ianto I can see his with the rest of the team being a theme after his loss. Secrets being the main drive of the episode it looks like Jack's invunerability is a bit more public now and as with Iantos secrecy about cyber Lisa, will be a revelation he will have to learn to live with, both these themes I think will make thier prescence felt as the season continues.

i caught the episode half way throught i think. It seemed quite good, but i havent seen the other episodes as it doesnt seem to be advertised that its on terestrial (bbc1 or 2) but is always advertised as being on bbc3.

darn it. Still i thought it was quite good.