LATEST GUEST ANNOUNCEMENT: Captain Jim Lovell

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

We are pleased to announce our first Guest for Autographica 9:

Captain Jim Lovell: Gemini 4, 7, 9 & 12 and Apollo 8, 11 & 13

320px-JimLovell.jpeg

Captain Lovell will also be attending a Meet and Greet on Friday evening for 2 night Diamond pass holders. Plus, will be attending a Q and A session on Sunday, again for Diamond pass holders.

Lovell was one of the group of nine astronauts selected by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in September 1962 for the space program. This followed his extensive expertise as a naval aviator and test pilot. Lovell executed various commands in the Gemini Mission Program, including, backup pilot for the Gemini 4 flight, and pilot on the history making Gemini 7 flight which saw the first rendezvous of tow manned spacecraft in 1965. He was also the backup Commander for the Gemini 9 flight and in 1966 he commanded the Gemini 12 spacecraft to successfully conclude this phase of the space program.

At the close of the Gemini program, Lovell became Command Module Pilot and Navigator for the epic six-day journey on Apollo 8 -- man's maiden voyage to the moon where he and fellow crewmen were the first humans to leave the earth's gravitational influence. He then was backup commander to Neil Armstrong for the Apollo 11 lunar landing mission in 1969.

Lift off, Saturday, April 11, 1970 at 13:13 CST. Lovell's fourth and final flight was on Apollo 13 which became our space program's third lunar attempt. According to NASA, the mission was aborted because of a rupture of the service module oxygen tank. The mission was classified as a "successful failure." Through the strong leadership of Captain Lovell and the never-ending teamwork of mission control and fellow astronauts, John Swigert and Fred Haise, they overcame the impossible.

Lovell and his crew successfully modified their lunar module into an effective lifeboat when the cryogenic oxygen system failed. Their emergency activation and operation of the lunar module conserved both electrical power and water in sufficient supply to assure their survival in space and their safe return. Welcome home. April 17, 1970, 5 days, 22 hours, and 54 minutes later, the Lunar Module Aquarius safely splashed down near Somoa.

• Moderators

Nice one :WAVE: I'd meet him but I've got a feeling he's not exactly gonna be cheap ^_^

He could easily be about £50 or more :P

If you can sapre that, i'd say go for it :WAVE:

I'd GUESS around £80-100 but that is a guess, plus "extras" depending on how they're gonna do it.

• Moderators

Hello everyone

Glad you like the new guest.

It has taken us over 4 years to persuade him to come to Autographica and he truly is an amazing guest.

We expect him to be even more popular than Buzz Aldrin as he has never done a show or public signing.

Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to meet a real space legend.

Best

Dave Phillips

Hello everyone

It has taken us over 4 years to persuade him to come to Autographica and he truly is an amazing guest.

We expect him to be even more popular than Buzz Aldrin as he has never done a show or public signing.

Best

Dave Phillips

Were glad that you have managed to make it work now, and hopefully, he will not regret it...

Alex

What a fantastic guest,i cannot wait to meet a legend of Manned Spaceflight,i don`t want to sound pretentious but well done to everyone involved and thank you for bringing over Capt.Lovell.

So Dave or Garry can you shed any light on who maybe in the pipeline for the rest of the Astronaut and Cosmonaut side of Autographica ?

Cheers,

Alex.:pyth:

Edited by ForAllMankind

Hello everyone

Best

Dave Phillips

Thanks Dave for getting him across here. Love ya too :wub:

Fantastic guest ^_^

By the way, I was reading the main post again and was wondering if the last bit was a mistake?

Welcome home. April 17, 1970, 5 days, 22 hours, and 54 minutes later, the Lunar Module Aquarius safely splashed down near Somoa.

I thought the Lunar Module was jettisoned before re-entry and that they splashed down near Somoa in the Command Module 'Odyssey'?

Edited by Colonel Jack O'Neill

We are pleased to announce our first Guest for Autographica 9:

Captain Jim Lovell: Gemini 4, 7, 9 & 12 and Apollo 8, 11 & 13

Captain Lovell will also be attending a Meet and Greet on Friday evening for 2 night Diamond pass holders. Plus, will be attending a Q and A session on Sunday, again for Diamond pass holders.

Just wondering I have re-read the announcement but is this guest only available to Diamond Pass holders only? I understand that the Q&A is but to meet and obtain his signature is as well??? Or am I just being thick and reading it wrong?