"BOND REUNION" - your thoughts on the range of guests

nicky

Is the Bond reunion a good one?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Bond reunion a good one?

• Yes, it's an acceptable reunion, it looks good
    • No, there's enough going for it. I wanted more

Even if you have no interest in Bond guests please vote if you think it's good or not.

We have just one James Bond thus far and a few other guests from the series...I think at this stage its safe to say there won't be any more big announcements...so are you impressed with the Bond reunion??

Lazenby ought to be a big draw, Yaphet Kotto would have been but cancelled and Burt Kwok will probably be but only cos of his extensive range of films. I think right from the start SM were taking a risk of having a Bond reunion unlesss they were able to get significantley/iconic famous Bond girls and villains and recycled characters like M or Felix Leiter.

So are you impressed/pleased with the Bond reunion??

The Bond re-union is very disappointing compared to other similar re-unions that Showmasters have done.

Of the eight guests listed, all are regular signers at events, inculding Lazenby.

However, for those that haven't had the opportunity to meet these guests before, as I must remember not everyone has been going to events as long as me, most of these celebs are excellent in terms of their fan friendliness and I am sure people will enjoy meeting them.

• Moderators

Unfortunately you can have a good idea for a reunion and then over time it doesn't work out with guests appearing elsewhere or whatever.

This one certainly isn't very big or special but I'm sure there'll still be people meeting them with the new DVDs etc.

i also thought there may be more from the more recent films which would have been a good draw
...I think many were hoping to see the likes Famke Janssen, Sean Bean, Tanya Roberts, Grace Jones, Colin Salmon and Joe don Baker etc...cos they're well known for other stuff too. Edited by nicky

i also thought there may be more from the more recent films which would have been a good draw
...I think many were hoping to see the likes Famke Janssen, Sean Bean, Tanya Roberts, Grace Jones, Colin Salmon and Joe don Baker etc...cos they're well known for other stuff too.

Tanya would have been good, I only recall seeing her once before at an Autographica show, and boy she is still a hottie !

Mind you, I got her to sign Bond, Charlie's Angels, Sheena - Queen of the Jungle etc then so wouldn't have had anything else for her to sign.

Autographica I think tried to get Sean Bean, but I don't think he was interested in doing an event like this from what I heard.

It's hugely disappointing as a reunion really. I would have liked to have seen at least two or three who appeared in the same film, but this is just a splattering of some of the lesser characters from a number of different films, plus Lazenby.

I think SM should have ditched the idea of dressing this up as a reunion a few weeks ago and just had them as usual guests. There's nothing re-uniting about these guests.....

I have met all of the reunion guests (apart from Mollie Peters) as will a lot of Bond fans who have been collecting for a few years. I was hoping for 1 major name and maybe a couple of rarer signers like Samantha Bond and David Hedison. I think maybe SM put pressure on themselves by announcing the reunion so early, so peoples expectations were built up over a period of months. So when the final line-up is revealed to be the regulars on the circuit there is bound to be a bit of disapointment. Disapointment only because of SM's track record of getting rare Bond guests like Ursula Andress and Alan Cumming, in short i suppose they are victims of their own success.

However for the Bond fan just starting off their collection they are great, defo fan friendly with good stories to tell. I reccomend you pay them a visit, enjoy! :WAVE:

Edited by A007

Although I had hoped for a lot more I have voted that it is an acceptable reunion. It's not great and I don't think this is Showmasters fault, they probably tried to get lots more people but for various reasons couldn't get them. I'm happy with all the guests as I'm a relative newcomer to such events (this is my fourth) and haven't met any of them. I'm especially pleased to be meeting George Lazenby and Maryam D'Abo who, let it not be forgotten, was the main Bond Girl in her film, not some lesser character. It should also be remembered that although Shirley Eaton's character in Goldfinger had only a few minutes of screen time, her screen death is the source of the most iconic (together with Ursula Andress in the bikini) image of all the Bond films.

I'm not really a bond fan but there doesn't seem to be many good range of guests especially if they haven't even been in many other films TV shows etc. This doesn't really look like a rememberable reunion, whereas the Aliens and Lost Boys reunions were classic.

I suppose if you are a big fan of the Bond films then it will be great so I hope all the people meeting the guests have a good experience.

With over 20 Bond Films. I would have expected a bigger line up for a Reunion, and was hoping for 1 or 2 first signings & maybe a director or behind the scene person.

the only one i want is Burt Kwouk and that would be on a Pink Panther shot.

so over all very disappionted.

But the non bond guests im very happy with :lol:

Even though i\\\'m not a Bond fan per say, I certainly thought Showmasters would bringus either Timothy Dalton or Roger Moore

Why is there always one? :lol:

Of course it\'s a wretched quality lineup, but what did you all expect? Maud Adams and a few others would\'ve been nice, but they would be as much the usual suspects as the guests who HAVE been announced.

Although I had hoped for a lot more I have voted that it is an acceptable reunion. It's not great and I don't think this is Showmasters fault, they probably tried to get lots more people but for various reasons couldn't get them. I'm happy with all the guests as I'm a relative newcomer to such events (this is my fourth) and haven't met any of them. I'm especially pleased to be meeting George Lazenby and Maryam D'Abo who, let it not be forgotten, was the main Bond Girl in her film, not some lesser character. It should also be remembered that although Shirley Eaton's character in Goldfinger had only a few minutes of screen time, her screen death is the source of the most iconic (together with Ursula Andress in the bikini) image of all the Bond films.

Ursula's role as an icon is vastly superior in every way.

Also if its not Showmasters fault then ............. who's? Im not saying they have done anything bad or wrong but just interested to know who elses fault it may be if a reunion is announced without confirmed guests of a higher level?

Personally i think the line-up is ok. Nothing great but only because they have done so many events across the country previously.

Any chance of adding Roger in a last minute scramble? (as long as he doesnt hurt his leg lol)

Also if its not Showmasters fault then ............. who's? Im not saying they have done anything bad or wrong but just interested to know who elses fault it may be if a reunion is announced without confirmed guests of a higher level?

Personally i think the line-up is ok. Nothing great but only because they have done so many events across the country previously.

Any chance of adding Roger in a last minute scramble? (as long as he doesnt hurt his leg lol)

I never said Shirley was more of an icon, I said she was featured in the most iconic image from the Bond movies, there is a difference.

I'm not saying it's anyyone's fault that the reunion isn't as good as everybody hoped, why does blame need to be credited to anyone. Showmasters advertised a Bond reunion, this they have delivered, nowhere did they say it would be a super-duper mega reunion with loads of rare guests.

Why does a reunion have to have guest of a higher level? Sure we'd all love all the Bond Actors all the living villains and all the Bond Girls but it isn't going to happen, was the Lost Boys reunion inferior because it didn't have the stars of the movie (Keifer Sutherland, Jason Patric)? How many of the big stars were at C7's Star Wars reunion?

I never said Shirley was more of an icon, I said she was featured in the most iconic image from the Bond movies, there is a difference.

I'm not saying it's anyyone's fault that the reunion isn't as good as everybody hoped, why does blame need to be credited to anyone. Showmasters advertised a Bond reunion, this they have delivered, nowhere did they say it would be a super-duper mega reunion with loads of rare guests.

Why does a reunion have to have guest of a higher level? Sure we'd all love all the Bond Actors all the living villains and all the Bond Girls but it isn't going to happen, was the Lost Boys reunion inferior because it didn't have the stars of the movie (Keifer Sutherland, Jason Patric)? How many of the big stars were at C7's Star Wars reunion?

Firstly without doubt the most iconic image from any bond film is Ursula in the white bakini.

Secondly your right in saying that a reunion does not have to have higher level guests but at the same time there is a reason why the NO's easily out weigh the Yes's in the poll on this thread. Its because people are disappointed with the bond line up.

And as for the Lost Boys........its one film, bond spans 20......far more cast far bigger scope, besides the Coreys certainly played a big part in that movie .........didnt they?

I'm pretty dissapinted with this reunion but I don't think you can balme SM for it. The only way you could is if SM had put no effort into finding guests but I think we all now that this would not be the case.

I suppose part of the problem with something like a Bond reunion is people will naturally want the big first time names to appear. Lets be realistic though, would the likes of Sean Bean, Robbie Coltrane, Timothy Dalton, Roger Moore etc really agree to appear at something like this? Thats not to do the events down or anything but I just don't think it would be their sort of thing.

Maybe SM could have waited a little while to confirm a few significant guests before formally announcing it as a reunuion and maybe with hindsight they would have done that. After all with CM they do not have to make bold announcements to push early ticket sales.

Still as we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing

I think that you are right about the likes of Sean Bean, Robbie Coltrane etc... not doing an event. You have to remember that the thought of sitting all day in a shopping centre meeting the 'general public' is probably the worst possible thing to do for many actors.

Firstly without doubt the most iconic image from any bond film is Ursula in the white bakini.

Secondly your right in saying that a reunion does not have to have higher level guests but at the same time there is a reason why the NO's easily out weigh the Yes's in the poll on this thread. Its because people are disappointed with the bond line up.

And as for the Lost Boys........its one film, bond spans 20......far more cast far bigger scope, besides the Coreys certainly played a big part in that movie .........didnt they?

I still say that the "Golden Girl" image of Shirley Eaton is as iconic as Ursula, let it not be forgotten that for many people Goldfinger is the definitive Bond film and if you were to ask most people to name a Bond film it would be the first one they said.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that many people are disappointed because the Bond guests aren't of a higher level, I'm not personally and in my opinion it isn't any less a reunion because of it, sure it would be great to have all the rare guests but the guests who are coming all played significant roles in their respective films (with the exception of Burt Kwouk, but he deserves to be there for other reasons).

Yes, the Coreys had big parts in The Lost Boys but they weren't the stars. Corey Feldman wasn't even on the poster!

Anyway I'll be leaving soon for MK and am looking forward to a great weekend. It's been fun discussing this with you!

I still say that the "Golden Girl" image of Shirley Eaton is as iconic as Ursula, let it not be forgotten that for many people Goldfinger is the definitive Bond film and if you were to ask most people to name a Bond film it would be the first one they said.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that many people are disappointed because the Bond guests aren't of a higher level, I'm not personally and in my opinion it isn't any less a reunion because of it, sure it would be great to have all the rare guests but the guests who are coming all played significant roles in their respective films (with the exception of Burt Kwouk, but he deserves to be there for other reasons).

Yes, the Coreys had big parts in The Lost Boys but they weren't the stars. Corey Feldman wasn't even on the poster!

Anyway I'll be leaving soon for MK and am looking forward to a great weekend. It's been fun discussing this with you!

Maybe the disappointment for a lot of people is that these are regular signers and seen around before. For some they are great if you are new to the event but others who have been around a bit wou;d find nothing new.

Personalkly i dont care and im gonna have a great time! WOOHOO

For many of us that have been to a lot of Showmasters Events, and other Bond related events, I suspect this re-union was always going to be a little disappointing. On the other hand you can only judge Showmasters on who they have brought over before and they have set their previous yardsticks high for re-unions.

Did we not have Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams, plus stacks of other Star Wars guests for that Re-union ?

In the past we have had some excellent Bond guests at the events as well, Ursuala Andress, Yaphet Kotto, Robert Davi, Honor Blackman etc

So we can only really judge on what has come before.

As someone said I am sure they have been working hard to get some good Bond guests and perhaps based on timings it just didn't come together on this occassion.

Overall though, still a disappointing line-up for the re-union which is reflected in the poll.

To be honest - and the poll reflects this.. pretty poor list considering it's been hailed as a reunion since the last CM event.

Quantity wise - 2/10 - SM could really have pushed the boat out and gone hell for leather in securing as many Bond guests as possible. Having had Ursula Andress, Honor Blackman, Alan Cumming come along to these events before - I would have almost certainly have expected there to be (at least) one NEW signer who we've not seen at a con before.

Quality wise - i'd rate this Bond reunion as 5/10. And its only getting the 5 because of George Lazenby.

If his name wasn't on the guest list - I wouldn't be turning up - PERIOD ! Yaphett would have been a great guest - but he's dropped out...

Anyway I'm happy - I met Maud Adams, Shirley Eaton, Martine Beswick, Maryam d'Abo, Britt Ekland, Lana Wood, Caroline Munro, Valerie Leon, Mary Stavin, Carole Ashby, Caroline Bliss, Eunice Gayson, Tania Mallett and the twits ... I mean twins :wub: from Octopussy last week which was great - a quality R-E-U-N-I-O-N !