save stargate sg1

majorkennedy

I've just put this in the other thread, but i may as well put it here too for those who might not read the other thread, or might not read all of it:

i like the show - but there's a good point about it goin.

there's not really any more uber-enemy than the Ori. to defeat them is to defeat the ancients, in a way. it is to defeat the next plane of evolution, which ought to be impossible.

after this they'd have to go back to the goa'ould - pathetic in comparison - or have an ancient civil war, or go to the next plane for decent opposition. but if we can beat everything, then... what purpose is there?

humanity doesn't do well without purpose. and if humanity can beat every level of existence, then humanity can't progress - they already feel they're progressed as far as there's any point. and therefore, SG1 would come to an end anyway - there's no more to learn, to do, to see.

so with respect, i'll not sign the petition. i'd rather watch the team go out with a bang, while they're still strong, than watch everything spiral downward. yes, i wish it could go on - hell, i reckon there's still a few years of good stuff left in it before the spiral downward would start - but i'm willing to let the show end on a high note, rather than drag out too far.

• Moderators

The problem with long-standing shows is that no matter how long they go on, and the fan base is still there, they do run out of good ideas and for places to go with the story and the characters ... just look at something like X-Files which dragged out the mythology etc because the ratings were still great, the quality declined unfortunately, and I doubt people would want that to happen with Stargate.

Obviously there's no guarantee that it WOULD happen, but I think fans would rather it went out at the top. It's already achieved so much.

I think the show is still strong, and has maintained a certain freshness whilst also involving you as a viewer in a rich narrative world created over 10 years. Had RDA hinted at returning a little earlier, I don't think it would have been cancelled, but still hold out hope for its continuation. Theres also the argument that the show could hold up without television broadcast, be it in advertising substidised internet streaming (what better show to test that distribution method?) boosted by dvd sales.

SG-1 deserves to have a legacy. I'm ok with it going out with a bang (not happy, but not sad either). I don't want to see it hit a downward spiral like so many other shows have done in the past for continuing too long.

We have Atlantis which is still pretty fresh.

I think the show is still strong, and has maintained a certain freshness whilst also involving you as a viewer in a rich narrative world created over 10 years. Had RDA hinted at returning a little earlier, I don't think it would have been cancelled, but still hold out hope for its continuation. Theres also the argument that the show could hold up without television broadcast, be it in advertising substidised internet streaming (what better show to test that distribution method?) boosted by dvd sales.

Yeah, I agree with you here.

The thing that annoys me most is that less the finale all episodes have been pitched and written as it seems. You can't possibly wrap up the whole story up in one episode.

One last season where the crew knows it all will end or maybe a series of TV movies or something to give it a real ending would be great.

Think Farscape. They did great with "Peacekeeper Wars", but even with the mini series things looked kind of rushed.

It is a shame that they have decided to end SG-1 but maybe it will be a way for them to tie in the third spin off if they go though with the idea. Or may be a film to end SG-1 would be good! Lets hope SGA will keep the legacy going.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with long-standing shows is that no matter how long they go on, and the fan base is still there, they do run out of good ideas and for places to go with the story and the characters ... just look at something like X-Files which dragged out the mythology etc because the ratings were still great, the quality declined unfortunately, and I doubt people would want that to happen with Stargate.

Obviously there's no guarantee that it WOULD happen, but I think fans would rather it went out at the top. It's already achieved so much.

totaly corect .

as much as i love the show it has to end 1 day and i'd rather it'l end at the top.