SG-1 cancelled, SGA renewed

Zimbing

this should be a huge surprise for me, but i must admit it isn't really. 200 was good, but i was much more impressed with the real world.

additionally... i located this by chance earlier today about the second stargate film:

The sequel to the original "Stargate" film may begin production after the TV series' final season wraps filming, bringing SG-1's adventures to the big screen -- or direct to DVD.

at that point i hadn't thought any more of it than a possible speculation, but i see now it was more than that.

btw, for anyone wondering where i got that quote - movies page on gateworld

though it is certainly sad news... it would have been nice to have carried it on much further.

*sniffles*

I wish I could say I didn't see that coming. I agree it's a damn shame, but with the ratings being down so much, this is no real surprise for me either.

And the sequel to the feature film would be with the original actors, or did I get that wrong? That wouldn't be the series' SG-1 cast doing that.

And the sequel to the feature film would be with the original actors, or did I get that wrong? That wouldn't be the series' SG-1 cast doing that.

i seem to have seen both speculations floating - one that its gonna be the original actors, and the other that its gonna be the series actors.

it may be that there's no fixed thought, or it could also be that both directions for a movie are being considered - i.e there might be 2 movies?

just a thought, so if i'm wrong and i probably am, don't shoot :YAHOO:

i seem to have seen both speculations floating - one that its gonna be the original actors, and the other that its gonna be the series actors.

it may be that there's no fixed thought, or it could also be that both directions for a movie are being considered - i.e there might be 2 movies?

just a thought, so if i'm wrong and i probably am, don't shoot :YAHOO:

The rumours about a feature with the TV cast have been floating around for ages.

But the feature with the original feature film cast seemed pretty much confirmed from what I heard and what you found. So maybe there's two versions going, but the original feature one seems more likely.

From the article looks like the TV show might not be over yet. Hey, we've been lucky once already. Maybe they switch channels again.

Cooper: SG-1 will go on

Monday - August 21, 2006

Don't count Stargate SG-1 out just yet. Though SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running series (story), the show's producers are hard at work looking for a new outlet for the story to continue, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

"As far as the future I can't comment yet because nothing has been confirmed," Cooper said. "What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying. SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how."

A formal announcement from the studio and the network is expected later this week.

Cooper also emphasizes that, though emotions are running high among Stargate fans who have just learned the news, it is important to keep the show's ratings strong throughout the remainder of its run on SCI FI. "What's most important is that fans don't take out their frustration with SCI FI by not watching," he said. "In fact, what they need to do is watch both SG-1 and Atlantis LIVE and make sure the ratings stay strong.

"That helps prove to other outlets that might be interested in SG-1 that the show is still as strong as we think it is."

Could Stargate SG-1 find its way to yet another network in 2007? Or might the SG-1 team be headed for a TV movie, mini-series, direct-to-video feature ... or the big screen? Stay with GateWorld for the latest developments.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/coop...ill_go_on.shtml

Edited by Batman

If I'm totally honest, I'm just glad that Atlantis has been renewed...

I haven't been watching SG-1 for a couple of years now, and although Atlantis has been a bit shaky, the last 2 episodes to air in the States (Progeny and The Real World) have been really strong... Here's hoping it doesn't slump back down again...

i like the show - but there's a good point about it goin.

there's not really any more uber-enemy than the Ori. to defeat them is to defeat the ancients, in a way. it is to defeat the next plane of evolution, which ought to be impossible.

after this they'd have to go back to the goa'ould - pathetic in comparison - or have an ancient civil war, or go to the next plane for decent opposition. but if we can beat everything, then... what purpose is there?

humanity doesn't do well without purpose. and if humanity can beat every level of existence, then humanity can't progress - they already feel they're progressed as far as there's any point. and therefore, SG1 would come to an end anyway - there's no more to learn, to do, to see.

so with respect, i'll not sign the petition. i'd rather watch the team go out with a bang, while they're still strong, than watch everything spiral downward. yes, i wish it could go on - hell, i reckon there's still a few years of good stuff left in it before the spiral downward would start - but i'm willing to let the show end on a high note, rather than drag out too far.

I hope it'll continue as SG is still a really strong series. Surely international distribution and dvd sales cover most of the expenses, so the american TV advertising revenue isn't the be all and end all of a show. In addition, should there be the promise of a RDA return I'm sure another network will pick it up.

i like the show - but there's a good point about it goin.

there's not really any more uber-enemy than the Ori. to defeat them is to defeat the ancients, in a way. it is to defeat the next plane of evolution, which ought to be impossible.

after this they'd have to go back to the goa'ould - pathetic in comparison - or have an ancient civil war, or go to the next plane for decent opposition. but if we can beat everything, then... what purpose is there?

humanity doesn't do well without purpose. and if humanity can beat every level of existence, then humanity can't progress - they already feel they're progressed as far as there's any point. and therefore, SG1 would come to an end anyway - there's no more to learn, to do, to see.

so with respect, i'll not sign the petition. i'd rather watch the team go out with a bang, while they're still strong, than watch everything spiral downward. yes, i wish it could go on - hell, i reckon there's still a few years of good stuff left in it before the spiral downward would start - but i'm willing to let the show end on a high note, rather than drag out too far.

Well it took a good 9 seasons for SG1 to defeat the Goa'ould, so why not give them 9 seasons to defeat the Ori, or would you of prefered for SG1 to have defeated the Goa'ould in 1 season as well..?

I for one will be signing the petition to save this great show, I think the 2 shows work well of each other with cross story lines.

Well it took a good 9 seasons for SG1 to defeat the Goa'ould, so why not give them 9 seasons to defeat the Ori, or would you of prefered for SG1 to have defeated the Goa'ould in 1 season as well..?

I for one will be signing the petition to save this great show, I think the 2 shows work well of each other with cross story lines.

actually, if it were to take that long again i reckon that too many storylines would get repeated along the way. i see that problem with atlantis already - they're repeating sg-1 storylines. but at least they've a sufficiently different setting.

9 years of the ori... there's not enough earth troops, even alongside allied troops, to stand a chance. and the supergate explosion ain't gonna work again.

sure, i could watch 5 years of the ori - but they'd need to have variant factions, like the goa'ould - and the ori are too united in their desire to wipe out the ancients.

if it does, eventually, run to season 15, great - but after that, i can't honestly see it staying on a high note. and even as it is, it isn't on the highest of notes - ratings fall because ppl don't like the stories, not because its great at the moment. i don't want to see the series ending when the ratings hit rock-bottom - i'd rather see it go when its still got the potential left, so it can go for a movie or something. even a future re-start - but thats not gonna happen if it goes out at rock-bottom, is it?