bit of a problem

flinty

i bought an autograph from autographica a couple of times back and on recently showing it to a trusted source i have been told it is definately a forgery and am quiet upset about this as it cost me £50 while i understand the people in charge of the event are not really responsible for this i thought all of these dealers where the cream of the autograph dealers and it was the most reliable place to buy from as all of the dealers were a trusted source this is why i shelled out without thinking i don't really know what to do i don't want to start slagging this dealer off incase it was a geniune mistake but cannot seem to find the dealer in question has anybody got any ideas?

Learn about punctuation?:crying:

thats great if you get the chance to meet them as i prefer this also but certain people are to big to do a con yet unfortuanately i very rarely buy them in but there are certain people that aren't going to be doing cons(well certainly not for a while if at all)and what do you do about people that are deceased never get their auto???

Good point, but i dont think you can ever be 100% sure that what you are buying is genuine!

That said if i were to buy one, i would only consider MSPG.

Edited by A007

thats great if you get the chance to meet them as i prefer this also but certain people are to big to do a con yet unfortuanately i very rarely buy them in but there are certain people that aren't going to be doing cons(well certainly not for a while if at all)and what do you do about people that are deceased never get their auto???

Good point, but i dont think you can ever be 100% sure that what you are buying is genuine!

That said if i were to buy one, i would only consider MSPG.

You could of course argue the same about anything:

How do you know the da vinci painting you are buying is real if you weren't there to see him painting it?

It all comes down to educating yourself about autographs and finding out about the dealer you are buying from.

i bought an autograph from autographica a couple of times back and on recently showing it to a trusted source i have been told it is definately a forgery and am quiet upset about this as it cost me £50 while i understand the people in charge of the event are not really responsible for this i thought all of these dealers where the cream of the autograph dealers and it was the most reliable place to buy from as all of the dealers were a trusted source this is why i shelled out without thinking i don't really know what to do i don't want to start slagging this dealer off incase it was a geniune mistake but cannot seem to find the dealer in question has anybody got any ideas?

Learn about punctuation?:firedevil:

why?i just put things down as i feel didn't realise i was back at school i was just trying to make a point

Hi Flinty

if you wish to email me details maybe I can find the dealer for you.

As well as owning MSPG I am a director of the UACC and they should be all UACC dealers at the show, that said, it should make it easier to deal with the situation.

mick@mspgs.com

hi mick i sent the details and you said you'd look into it and get back to me within a day or two i have emailed but haven't heard anything have you had any luck? thanks

• 1 month later...

Do you have a scan of the autograph you can post ?

If so, there may be others on the site that have in the person got this auto in person, that could compare it to yours which may help.

As someone said in the thread further up though, just because it doesn't look identical to an auto an other dealer had, doesn't mean it will be a fake.

I get my autos in person, at Premieres, Theatres etc, as well as organised shows, and I have seen celebs sign differently just from one person to the next .

Particularly if the auto was signed at a Premiere, you may get a shortened version, or a rushed version, which may look different to one that was done at an organised signing for example.

All though there should be still some similarities , particularly in letter shape.

Is you trusted source ok ? I have a picture signed by all four Beatles, it was got in person by my brother in law in the 60's, I have had the signatures confirmed by Benham's and I have them insured, I took it into a shop that opened up once and was selling signatures that did not look too brilliant, he told me my Beatle autographs were fake but he would take it off my hands for £40, what a cheek, you should of seen his face when I produced all the paperwork, no wonder the guy did not last too long !

the trusted source is one of the biggest so i take his word for it and when i approached mick at mspg he said he had investigated problems from the dealer i got it from before and that he had been slung out of the uacc mick was going to look into it and get back to me but as yet nothing <_<

Oh how I love "the trusted source"! I have bought from a UACC registered dealer in the past (some Star Wars autographs) which turned out to be fakes 100% (I even 3 of the actors concerned who vouched this). The dealer, who I'd met several times and would like to state is a legitimate dealer, got them from his trusted contact. A guy who apparently writes for the Autograph magazine at times and supplies to other UACC dealers. I know he also supplies to another big UK dealer (again, totally legitimate dealers and lovely people) because I asked them and even told them of my concern. So consequently I almost never buy from anyone unless they have got the item themselves.

Obviously I won't mention the dealers here and the one I bought fakes from did refund me. I totally believe these are "good guys" and legitimate dealers. But I guess not every "trusted" contact can be trusted. OF course to a genuine hobby collector like me who sometimes sells stuff on eBay, it makes life very frustrating when people bid on items from high profile people with COAs (worth nothing) and trusted contacts and ignore my genuine stuff because I don't have the "official" credentials. That's my rant over!

As always - buyer beware!

when i first started i used to buy from a few people but now(in this country)i will only buy from mspg and special signings i believe these to be the most reliable of course if i have a chance of obtaining an auto for myself i will but there are some people i am highly unlikely to meet or are dead so this is my only way around this :blush:

FON

Precisely why would he want to buy, he was trying to con an old dog and failed. But some people are vunerable to fall for such tricks and end up losing out !

Lodsy

Good point, but really deep down the only way you will have peace of mind to get the autograph yourself from the stars concerned, that way you know it is a 100% genuine. I know you have dealers that come with high recommendations and even though they could be the top of the tree, you can only be 99% sure that the item is genuine, even if it comes with all the relevant paperwork, no one really knows if it was really signed by the star in question, You just have to trust them. Some come with pictures of people signing or pictures of a celeb standing with the guy who is selling the picture, what is to stop me walking up to a table at an SM event and taking a picture from the side of a star signing a picture. There is also a lot of fraud about anyway, thats why the chip and pin came for credit cards, a crook can practice and practice until near perfect.

I was once told by a copper a few years ago, so this might of changed now a days, but when they used to investigate cheque/credit card fraud, they would ask the fraudster to sign the name several times, with both hands, because normally a person's signature differs slightly each time, but a fraudsters apparently doesm't beacuse of the amount of time they have spent practising it, don't know whether that is true, but that is what I got told.

Events like SM are great for the reason you know when you meet the star it is genuine, I know it's hard cause some starshave passed away and I never buy those signatures of dead people and I never buy from dealers anyway , because there are many fakes around.

I collected autographs for over 35 years now, that includes many stage doors, premieres, other events and chance meetings, so at least I know in my mind they are genuine 100%.

What is the autograph?Chances are unless they died years ago I have it.

nope its orlando bloom just thought as he is so popular at the moment i'm not likely to meet him(at least not at the moment)as i don't do the premieres thing and as i have most of the others i wanted to get him it doesn't look too bad compared to the topps cards etc but the dealers who have seen it agree its not right

Oh how I love "the trusted source"! I have bought from a UACC registered dealer in the past (some Star Wars autographs) which turned out to be fakes 100% (I even 3 of the actors concerned who vouched this). The dealer, who I'd met several times and would like to state is a legitimate dealer, got them from his trusted contact. A guy who apparently writes for the Autograph magazine at times and supplies to other UACC dealers. I know he also supplies to another big UK dealer (again, totally legitimate dealers and lovely people) because I asked them and even told them of my concern. So consequently I almost never buy from anyone unless they have got the item themselves.

Obviously I won't mention the dealers here and the one I bought fakes from did refund me. I totally believe these are "good guys" and legitimate dealers. But I guess not every "trusted" contact can be trusted. OF course to a genuine hobby collector like me who sometimes sells stuff on eBay, it makes life very frustrating when people bid on items from high profile people with COAs (worth nothing) and trusted contacts and ignore my genuine stuff because I don't have the "official" credentials. That's my rant over!

Do you have a link to the items you have for sale on ebay , or if not could you send me a list of any items you have for sale please.

Do you have a link to the items you have for sale on ebay , or if not could you send me a list of any items you have for sale please.

Hi there

I recently sold most of my autographs to a private collector (NOT dealer!). I do have stuff I won't sell like cast sets of Star Wars, LOTR, Bladerunner, etc and I do have some more items my recent buyer may be interested in. But right now I've only a couple on eBay. Later this year I will hopefully be listing more as I am raising money for a Charity trek I am doing next year. IF you want to contact me please do at ooberlamb@aol.com - whether you are interested in anything or just want to ask about autographs.

Cheers!