complaints

Howie

Posed/No Posed Photos.

As a crew member who's job it is to attempt to enforce this rule, I feel it only right that I chip in here.

No matter how much people believe otherwise, no-one has any idea of how many customers will come to see a guest on any one day. It may or may not be fairly obvious that some guests *will* be more popular than others, but as for approximate estimates on how many will arrive to meet the more popular guests - there's *no* way of knowing, untill the day itself.

Let's say that 500 tickets are given out for a guest, that's not a huge number, and can generally be handled by mid afternoon, at which point the queue would open.

Let's say that 800 tickets are given out for a guest - things start to get worse.

By the time the initial rush for tickets has subsided, decisions have to be made on whether or not there is time to allow posed photos or not - and no matter what you may think, my own experiences have shown that for every six people who get a photo, 3 or 4 will not have time to meet the guest, depending on how busy they are.

This puts one (or often more) unfortunate crew member in the position of having to tell people that they can't have that photo - and that's certainly not an enjoyable job.

Most people will understand fully the reasons for this, and appreciate that if the guest's queue opens later on in the day, there may be an opportunity to return for a photo.

On the other end of the scale, there are people who will ignore the crew member and believe that it's their god given right to get that photo - even going as far as being rude to the guest when *they* have to decline. (Yes, I've seen this happen)

Imagine if you will, that the guest of your dreams is attending a convention, and you manage to get ticket number 1000 - would you be happy for everyone else to get a posed photo, and maybe only the first 600 will have chance to meet the guest, or would you prefer the crew to attempt to ask for everyone's understanding on the matter, in order that as many fans as possible are given the chance to meet the guest?

If you had ticket 1000, there is *no* way on this earth or the next that you would meet the guest if posed photos were allowed - this isn't a guess, it's a simple fact, as photos unfortunately don't just take a second for a quick click - there's framing and focussing, fussing over waiting for the camera to process the image, viewing it and deciding that it's fine or not.... you get the idea.

As I said, most people here understand the position that we're placed in - that we have a responsibility as fans ourselves to help as many people as possible meet their heroes, and that isn't always possible if everyone takes a stand up posed photo.

As well as all that, please consider the guests themselves - would you be able to stand up and sit down all weekend long, having had no sleep for 48 hours because of the travelling involved? There are some things that are just not humanly possible.

Troy.

Big Beardy Bloke who was Queue Manager for Elijah on Saturday, and Jorge/Maggie on Sunday.

well said troy!! :(

your the man! :D:(

Edited by william

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and again, not showmasters fault, at least, I dont think it was SM crew, sure it was UK Garrison people (just remember seeing black t-shirts with white writing), but how rude were they majority of the time!! The guys in costume were great, and having a good laugh and playing around, but the non-costumed people walking them around demanding everyone moves out of the way were just being plain rude, no "could you back up please" it was "Get out of the way now!" as they pushed you back and barged past clearing way for the ones in costume! Several friends had this happen to them and were getting quite irate about being pushed around like that..yes I know those helmets are difficult to see out of (ive worn one) and people should move out of the way, but if those guys can be polite still, then im sure the 'walkers' could be too! Perhaps next SM event someone could have a word with them to be a little nicer to people!

Heard/seen this before about UK Garrison. Maybe they should just stop showing up? Or at least being told to stay away, right nasty b-ggers. :(

Posed/No Posed Photos.

As a crew member who's job it is to attempt to enforce this rule, I feel it only right that I chip in here.

No matter how much people believe otherwise, no-one has any idea of how many customers will come to see a guest on any one day. It may or may not be fairly obvious that some guests *will* be more popular than others, but as for approximate estimates on how many will arrive to meet the more popular guests - there's *no* way of knowing, untill the day itself.

Let's say that 500 tickets are given out for a guest, that's not a huge number, and can generally be handled by mid afternoon, at which point the queue would open.

Let's say that 800 tickets are given out for a guest - things start to get worse.

By the time the initial rush for tickets has subsided, decisions have to be made on whether or not there is time to allow posed photos or not - and no matter what you may think, my own experiences have shown that for every six people who get a photo, 3 or 4 will not have time to meet the guest, depending on how busy they are.

This puts one (or often more) unfortunate crew member in the position of having to tell people that they can't have that photo - and that's certainly not an enjoyable job.

Most people will understand fully the reasons for this, and appreciate that if the guest's queue opens later on in the day, there may be an opportunity to return for a photo.

On the other end of the scale, there are people who will ignore the crew member and believe that it's their god given right to get that photo - even going as far as being rude to the guest when *they* have to decline. (Yes, I've seen this happen)

Imagine if you will, that the guest of your dreams is attending a convention, and you manage to get ticket number 1000 - would you be happy for everyone else to get a posed photo, and maybe only the first 600 will have chance to meet the guest, or would you prefer the crew to attempt to ask for everyone's understanding on the matter, in order that as many fans as possible are given the chance to meet the guest?

If you had ticket 1000, there is *no* way on this earth or the next that you would meet the guest if posed photos were allowed - this isn't a guess, it's a simple fact, as photos unfortunately don't just take a second for a quick click - there's framing and focussing, fussing over waiting for the camera to process the image, viewing it and deciding that it's fine or not.... you get the idea.

As I said, most people here understand the position that we're placed in - that we have a responsibility as fans ourselves to help as many people as possible meet their heroes, and that isn't always possible if everyone takes a stand up posed photo.

As well as all that, please consider the guests themselves - would you be able to stand up and sit down all weekend long, having had no sleep for 48 hours because of the travelling involved? There are some things that are just not humanly possible.

Troy.

Big Beardy Bloke who was Queue Manager for Elijah on Saturday, and Jorge/Maggie on Sunday.

well said troy!! :(

your the man! :D:(

Troy,

First off, I understand what you are saying. I've crewed at larger events in the US. Unfortuantely what I am saying is that there is a lack of communication between the front of the line and the back. It you have a no posed photos rule then you are quite within your rights to have a crew member at the front of the line enforcing it properly. Also, if you have a guest that totally disregards your sign, then that too should be reflected.

What I will say though, is this. You mentioned about a dream guest...and getting ticket 1000 but only the first 600 get through...would I be bothered by it....no!

Maybe that is the way SM should go....rather than have a cattle market, trying to get as many through as possible....have a set number for the busy guests and allow quality time with them.

My days of crewing cons are over, but as I said before, SM and co do a great job. I just think that some crew members are a little too nice to the public (and I understand why!) but sometimes you need someone at the front who won't take any crap and tell the fan to put the camera away etc. I have seen the "I will get a picture at any cost" as you mentioned.........I think it was Dean Stockwell at Collectormania who looked either ill or seriously hung-over and some guy kept on about a picture....eventually they gave in, when really they should have took the guy out back and given him a lightsaber enema....

Johnhuk

Troy

Yep I remember you, I was Jedi-chef girl who tried to enlist Maggie, but you and everyone else there would not take photo for me. Fair enough but I am hoping Showmasters or someone else bring her back as she seemed interested in joining, so next time :D . I had to leave for work at 12 (I have a mean boss) so thanks to the steward who let me sneak in early to ask otherwise I would have missed meeting her, they are not all mean and nasty like Troy :( most of them are still enjoying it. I did miss out on Elijah and Carrie but as there were a lot of people I knew there I managed to get someone to get Carrie`s auto for me after I left cos I am resourceful like that. Jorge broke my heart cos I was hoping he would be my first recruit and he refused so that honour went to Shaun Dingwall who was fantastic :D and John Barrowman was my second recruit so I did okay :( .

I would much rather have posed photos if the guest is okay with it as it is enjoyable even though I missed out on some people it meant those that did meet them have positive things to say about the guest. Rushing them through as if they are on an assembly line is not a good thing as then you have people saying negative comments. It is better to have 600 postive encounters rather than 1000 negative. Not everyone is selfish after all some people got multiple items signed which does not seem to be a problem for some people in the organisation as it is all about the money.

Saturdays queing system was laughable, it was a shambles, if you had someone walking up the line with a sign saying prepaid tickets, no tickets or gold pass just to let people know that they were in the right queue would have been more helpful, they did come up shouting or telling people but that was about 8.30 or so (no good to easily confused or deaf people :D ).

All in all a good show, the stars took their time and made it a great experience for most of the customers.

Very strange, I have not got any complaints and I thoroughly enjoyed the two morning that I had there, wish I could have spent all day there.

Edited by CurlyKirsty

I was really disappointed that Maggie Grace couldn't make Saturday as that was the only day that I could get down to London. :(

And I wish that signs were put up because my group first got into the queue for that Bodies show so perhaps clearer signs to directions.

So that's my complaints.

Maggie Grace for next year!

Don't put a guest on a chair in a photoshoot...well, on Sunday, no idea on saturday if different.

Compare how Nathan interacted and done different stances/poses with people to that of Elijah who was plonked on a chair...and looked like a manniquin in every photo.

There was a big space to the left of the signing area. Maybe plonk a bunch of chairs there to let folk sit down instead of lying on the floor ;-)

Saturdays queing system was laughable, it was a shambles, if you had someone walking up the line with a sign saying prepaid tickets, no tickets or gold pass just to let people know that they were in the right queue would have been more helpful, they did come up shouting or telling people but that was about 8.30 or so (no good to easily confused or deaf people :D ).

I'm sorry but I don't think there should have been that much confusion. There were people there clearly identifiable from the event who you could ask which queue was which. I mean I came from the underground station, saw the first queue, asked which queue it was and then knew where to go. Hardly rocket science.

When I arrived at 7.30 a.m., I joined the correct queue for the pre-paid early bird tickets, it wasn't that hard to do, just ask if you are not sure before you join a queue. I was then shocked to see just after 9.00 a.m. both queues going in at the same time, when those who had pre-bought early bird tickets were advertised as going in first, in the following order, Gold Pass, Pre-Booked early bird, Pay on the day early-bird. What happened ?

Fortunately, I managed to pick up VQ tickets for Elijah, Carrie and Grace and got to meet them all , but if I hadn't the above fiasco would have made me seriously mad. Particularly, having missed out on Elijah at C4 because of the problems with queues etc there.

We were told to come back at mid-day for Elijah after his signing session, bit had to wait another additonal hour and a half in the queue due to a probably over run on photo ops and then which is fair enough the guy had to go for his lunch, but better guidance on timings would have been helpful.

Also , what I thought was strange was that despite have someone like Carrie, other Star Wars guest like Mayhew didn't have VQ tickets, yet first thing on Saturday, Peter's queue stretched well outside the lines of the queue.

Finally, after a number of people suggesting they started handing out VQ tickets for Peter, one of the stewards final took the common sense approach.

The organisation and ticketing has improved a lot over the years at the events, but sometimes the decisions are still mind boggling, and it really needs one or two people in more senior roles to make some quick common sense decisions.

Complaint 1 - Forum crash on Weds / Thurs and my travelling early on Friday morning meant I didn't know about Christopher Lee until I got to the door (gutted)

Complaint 2 - Saw the no posed photos sign at Carrie's Q so gave my VT away (number 86!) (gutted)

Complaint 3 - Maggie being there sunday and me not being (gutted)

None of which are anyones fault!!

Complaint 4?? - Found there to be a lack of guests on Saturday seemed not to be much to choose from

Complaint 5 - Kenny and Peter being so mad for the money that they didn't do the talk

Complaint 6 - How about some entertainment outside as we q up (it was hot and boring) Maybe some fireeaters, jugglers, lightsaber fights etc etc.

cheers, Darren

Just realised that none of these are "proper" complaints!!!!

Troy

Yep I remember you, I was Jedi-chef girl who tried to enlist Maggie, but you and everyone else there would not take photo for me.

Kirsty,

I'm really sorry about that, I felt like a real heel, as I know how much it means to you - but I was only trying to enforce what I'd been told, and the problem is that if someone see's me allowing one person to do it, then everyone else wants it as well, and the battle is lost.

I really hope Maggie can get back, for your sake,

T.

The Garrisons should stay away from the autograph queues.

Carrie was having posed photos taken on Saturday by the crew member and suddenly when me and a few others get to the front he says no posed photos. His excuse was if you have one everyone's going to demand one. Well I'm sorry but you should have worked that out in the first place and not taken any from the start.

Other than that, great event!!!

Carrie was having posed photos taken on Saturday by the crew member and suddenly when me and a few others get to the front he says no posed photos. His excuse was if you have one everyone's going to demand one. Well I'm sorry but you should have worked that out in the first place and not taken any from the start.

Was lucky enough to get a posed piccy early on Saturday, sorry you missed out dude!

I would agree that the queuing system left a little to be desired. We joined the correct queue on the Saturday but I think that instead of "Early Entry" they should have indicated that the other queue was for people with no tickets. Plain English signs would have been helpful.

THe UK garrison were hugely entertaining manning the queue on the Sunday morning but the guy yelling at everyone to get out of the way inside the hall was rude and arrogant. I don't know if he was method acting but he was perilously close to being beaten senseless by other attendees on a couple of occasions.

For everyone who wasn't happy that Elijah did his photosession sitting down I think you need to be realistic. He works in a business where image is everything and he is a really petite guy. His management would have known that scans of the photosessions would appear on the net after the event and they probably didn't want photo after photo of the majority of the blokes and a fair number of the girls towering over him. Plus sitting down stopped him from being exhausted and prevented any of the more excitable girls being able to grab at him in the same way they would have been able to do if he'd been stood next to them.

My only complaint was the VIP guest liason who showed up to take care of Maggie Grace when I was in front of her. Obviously he was there to take care of her and that's great but he should have introduced himself before she sat down to sign or when she had a break for a moment. Instead he interrupted her whilst I was talking to her which was exceptionally rude and made her look bad as I wasn't thrilled that she just ignored me to speak to him for 5 minutes. A little thing admittedly but one that could have been easily avoided.

Yeah showmasters what a mess up of the doors I was in a group that got there first. Told by one set of people we were at the right set of doors and another that we were at the wrong ones.

We thought you guys had solved the problem by moving us over to a different set off doors and let us in before the people who had not booked tickets then you unlocked the door and then relocked them and then could not unlock them again.

I can't tell you how damn upset I was with you guys I'm very very sorry to the people with the gold tickets when I went though your door instead but I was very upset when I had been there from 4am for showmasters to mess up yet again!

I though your meant to learn by mistakes.

Elijah wood photo op it was like being stood next to a cardboard cut out.

The 2 people in front of us had 10 items each to be signed and so by the time they managed to pick they stuff up my friends 1 pic was signed without her even being in front of elijah or him being able to look at her.

I thought they was a limit !

The decision to stop posed photos can and does usually come form the guest themselves or their agents. Either because they are becoming tired or that they simply do not wish to wish to allow posed phtos.

Was lucky enough to get a posed piccy early on Saturday, sorry you missed out dude!

I didnt even ask for a posed piccy she just stood up and shoved her cheek on mine and the steward took the pic for me. Its one of the benefits of being one of the first in the queue. She didnt arrive till late on the Saturday. She was chatty, personalised my photo and as you can see on the pictures thread posed too.

I think its nice that she did this regardless of the no posed photo's sign as she obviously had no problem with doing it. It therefore leads me into thinking that the communication between guest and organisers is a bit poor and I believe the guest should dictate depending on how they feel and the mood they are in, not have people trying to rush them in order to make as much money as possible. Obviously more people get to see her this way but its not much of an experience for those that do. Get there early as possible, gold pass or no gold pass, and the guests usually are fresh and in better moods. :clap:

The decision to stop posed photos can and does usually come form the guest themselves or their agents. Either because they are becoming tired or that they simply do not wish to wish to allow posed phtos.

and thats the way it should be. from the guest not the organiers, but then again the no posed photos sign went up from the very start, not after Carrie had requested it. Its a bit weird and I can see why people are upset with it. Im not complaining though, she was great. :wub:

Edited by rich5wolves

I didnt even ask for a posed piccy she just stood up and shoved her cheek on mine and the steward took the pic for me. Its one of the benefits of being one of the first in the queue. She didnt arrive till late on the Saturday. She was chatty, personalised my photo and as you can see on the pictures thread posed too.

I think its nice that she did this regardless of the no posed photo's sign as she obviously had no problem with doing it. It therefore leads me into thinking that the communication between guest and organisers is a bit poor and I believe the guest should dictate depending on how they feel and the mood they are in, not have people trying to rush them in order to make as much money as possible. Obviously more people get to see her this way but its not much of an experience for those that do. Get there early as possible, gold pass or no gold pass, and the guests usually are fresh and in better moods. :wub:

I'm not saying it's guaranteed as I am not an authority on this matter but I am wondering if the guests are made aware of who the gold pass holders are? Of course if you do met them earlier in the day then they will be in a lighter mood.

I was one of the first arriving on Saturday and yes, the signs were confusing.

A simple "Pre-paid early bird ticket" sign instead of pre-paid would have done the trick.

I asked several crew members and basically got a different answer every time. (Although my problem was slightly different as I was one of those unlucky ones who didn't get their tickets in the mail.) Luckily I found a group of people in the end and decided we split up on both lines, so we were not off really bad, but I have seen others being less lucky.

• Showmasters Admin

I'm going to suggest that the signs simply say.

Pre-Paid Queue

Paying today Queue

All the early-bird people will be gone by 11am for the normal ticket people to use the same queues. There's no need to put early-bird on the signs.

Posed/No Posed Photos.

Troy.

Hi Troy

Think I met you Saturday afternoon - you commented on my bluuuue contact lenses! You were actually very nice, and non pushy, unlike some security people at another event featuring Elijah, so thanks for that. Out of curiousity - how many people did he get through on Saturday?

Pre-Paid Queue

Paying today Queue

All the early-bird people will be gone by 11am for the normal ticket people to use the same queues. There's no need to put early-bird on the signs.

Sounds like a very good idea, oh mighty moderator. ^_^

Oh and Troy, I found you were perfectly nice. You did get the point across without being rude or anything.

Pre-Paid Queue

Paying today Queue

Sounds like a very good idea, oh mighty moderator. ^_^

Oh and Troy, I found you were perfectly nice. You did get the point across without being rude or anything.

the only person I thought was patronising and rude was the camera guy who at 2pm on the Saturday (the time we were told to come to get photos) told us all to politely bugger off and come back at 3pm.

Edited by rich5wolves

Hi Troy

Think I met you Saturday afternoon - you commented on my bluuuue contact lenses! You were actually very nice, and non pushy, unlike some security people at another event featuring Elijah, so thanks for that. Out of curiousity - how many people did he get through on Saturday?

Yes you did meet me (and I still haven't got over your eyes! :gorgeous::thumbup:

Thanks for your kind comments, and although I can't remember the exact count, I'm 99.9% certain that Elijah saw over 1000 people on the Saturday...

Troy.

I have only one complaint. Why no Buffy photos for Nathan Fillion?

Buffy has a huge following and I know Serenity is his more recent work, but I was most interested in meeting him as a Buffy guest. I feel very dissapointed there was not even one Buffy photo on sale.

Other than that LFCC was top.

Pity about the football though :gorgeous: