LATEST GUEST ANNOUNCEMENT: Christopher Lee

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats SM on getting another top notch A-lister to the event, but £45 is, in my opinion, a joke.

I don't think anyone does themselves any favours on the forum when they say stuff like:-

"£25?? bargain, I would have paid £50"

"cant believe XXX is so cheap"

etc etc

If you think its a good price, great, but i'd keep it to yourself, SM see all these comments, and now ya got yerself a rip off £45 autograph!! It was less than a year ago that SM were justifying £25 for shatner at CM8, an now we're asked to swallow £45??!

Obviously its each to his own, but i don't think things look good for future events if they are unindated with people waving £45 in the air for Mr Lee....

Travel, parking, entrance fee and OTT prices, is pricing me out of the game.

oh and by the way, I would have LOVED to meet him & get his auto, but will not be pandering to that price...

Edited by piley

~A quick scan on ebay this morning, shows Christopher Lee autographs ranging from £29.99 for a printed copy to £169.00. The average price for a signed LOTR or Star Wars piece is around the £60 mark. The cheapest "authentic" auto I could find was £29.99 but not coming from a UACC dealer!

So for the princely sum of £45.00 you get to meet the man himself, perhaps get a handshake, and personalisation and the security of knowing that your autograph is 100% genuine.

Yes he is expensive, but then it all boils down to personal choice. If you've got the money and want to spend it on that autograph then go for it! I'd love a new BMW but can't afford one, doesn't mean that I have a go at anyone else who can or criticise BMW for how much they sell the car for. Market forces dictate what any autograph is worth, Mr Lee will be well aware of the value of his auto, (just as Buzz Aldrin was with his) and he will have set his price for attendance at the event.

There are several actors I'd pay over the standard £20 mark for and if the only way people like SM are going to get these actors here is to charge more for their autographs then so be it. I don't think for one minute that Jason sits and reads the boards and thinks "hey these guys will pay £45 for X's auto so I'm going to charge that and make a bundle!". :unsure:

Edited by madmonster

If you think its a good price, great, but i'd keep it to yourself, SM see all these comments, and now ya got yerself a rip off £45 autograph!! It was less than a year ago that SM were justifying £25 for shatner at CM8, an now we're asked to swallow £45??!

carrie was the first i think - and for a guest of THIS calibre, i'd pay a hundred.

other shows ask for a hundred for some bloke that stood on the moon - so? christopher lee is a legend. no competition.

So for the princely sum of £45.00 you get to meet the man himself, perhaps get a handshake, and personalisation and the security of knowing that your autograph is 100% genuine.

actually, its unlikely that there will be personalisations - not sayin its not possible, but there's no point gettin your hopes up.

agree with the knowledge of authenticity, and meeting him, though! :unsure:

~A quick scan on ebay this morning, shows Christopher Lee autographs ranging from £29.99 for a printed copy to £169.00. The average price for a signed LOTR or Star Wars piece is around the £60 mark. The cheapest "authentic" auto I could find was £29.99 but not coming from a UACC dealer!

Yes he is expensive, but then it all boils down to personal choice. If you've got the money and want to spend it on that autograph then go for it! I'd love a new BMW but can't afford one, doesn't mean that I have a go at anyone else who can or criticise BMW for how much they sell the car for. Market forces dictate what any autograph is worth, Mr Lee will be well aware of the value of his auto, (just as Buzz Aldrin was with his) and he will have set his price for attendance at the event.

There are several actors I'd pay over the standard £20 mark for and if the only way people like SM are going to get these actors here is to charge more for their autographs then so be it. I don't think for one minute that Jason sits and reads the boards and thinks "hey these guys will pay £45 for X's auto so I'm going to charge that and make a bundle!".:unsure:

Exactly ;)

• Showmasters Admin
I don't think for one minute that Jason sits and reads the boards and thinks "hey these guys will pay £45 for X's auto so I'm going to charge that and make a bundle!".:unsure:

Indeed we know it's the complete opposite. At C4 SM could have charged £25 for Elijahs autograph but due to Elijah being so good with his attendance fee they kept it to £20. Again at LFCC4, SM could easily charge £25 for Elijah and they would still sell just as many, but again they have kept in to £20.

SM get guests other show only dream of. This has 2 down sides.

1: The guests can and do cancel because they are still currently very active actors.

2: Because they are currently active actors they charge more for their attendance fee.

But they do bring them and we get the chance to meet them. Personally I'd much rather they continue to try and get these big guests and have a 10-20% cancellation rate and the odd high price rather than have them bring out the usual suspects everytime.

Important guy, but I was hoping someone Stargate... doesn't make up for Torri for me.... :angel:

(I know Torri's not being there is obviously not your fault, though!)

err, yeah, sounds about right... pissed off it's Dracula/Scaramanga/Dooku/Saruman/The Mummy not some bod from some tv spinoff series from a sci-fi movie.. Priorities? taste in films/tv/existence? Wherefore art thou?

If it was Kurt Russell from the orig Stargate, you might scrape a point, but the tv series? you gotta be kidding!

Umm.. Gilgalad70, there's no need to be impolite.

Personally, there are very few movies I care much about. I watch them, but that's it. And even then, I don't usually become a fan of the actors in them. I'm not "pissed off" about Christopher Lee coming. I just hoped that they were going to announce a guest to "replace" Torri, and Mr. Lee obviously isn't a replacement, both for his importance AND for the fact that he appeals to a different fan base (that may or may not overlap with the Stargate one).

I don't see what my tastes in existence have got to do with this.

"Movie" isn't necessarily something better than "tv-show". And there are a lot of tv-show actors out there who are better than some movie actors, but just chose a different career or didn't meet the right people. It may even be harder to keep your character interesting (and it doesn't all have to do with scripts) episode after episode, work so many hours a week over and over, same people, same set, same show. A movie is some months of filming, often not every day, and then it's over, you're off to a completely different character. I don't mean to say that, in general, movie actors are LESS good than tv-show actors. I think that (again, in general) they're equally good. So I find your remark insulting to them too.

Sorry for the OT, everyone else!

I agree with a lot of what you say , who is to say that films are " BETTER " than TV - it is everybody's own opinion and that is fantastic .

Film actors are ALSO usually TV actors , except for a very rare few who have targetted one niche or who have been lucky to aspire to one niche .

But if a guest is not to your fancy , that is just how it is - thanks whatever that we all have different tastes or we would all be queuing for Dave Prowse or Alan Opponheimer or whoever . Is there really ANY need to give an opinion on someone who you are not interested in - just leave the thread to the people who are interested .

I love movies , but I also love Doctor Who , Stargate , Buffy and loads of other programmes . But if I am not bothered about a new announcement , I really don't feel the need to give a negative opinion and to wind up the people who are bothered - each to their own , and more people queuing at people I don't want , so less at ones I do want .

I know forums are about opinions to some degree but they are not about blindly spouting anything just to keep your typing fingers working .

Not the best guest ever to some , but to others what a fantastic guest .

Edited by jesterrace

This could be the only chance I get to meet Mr. Lee considering his age and how rare his appearances are.

£45 is a good price for him and I most certainly won't be letting this opportunity pass me by.

How old is he can't remember off hand

• Showmasters Admin

I've had some updates from SM, here's the results.

1. Will he sign Dracula

Finding out.

2. Will he personalise / add character names or is this an "auto only" situation ?

Finding out.

3. Posed pics ?

No - he's an elderly gentleman, and flash photos plus standing up every minute or two aren't options.

4. If an open queue develops can we get a second, third signature ... ?

One per person, but you can rejoin the line to get another VT if you want.

5. Will gold pass holders just go up and join the queue and get their auto as usual, or will they need to get a VT?

You will need a VT, but SM will hold one back for you to collect when you pick up your packs.

6. can gold pass holders go up more than once?

SM rwill eserve one VT. If you want to go through again, you'll have to collect other VT like everyone else.

7. Can people take children down the queue if they are too young to be left alone?

Yes.

8. Can a child buy an autograph?

Yes if it's genuinely for them. Please don't try and use this to get around the one auto per person rule.

ANYONE can buy an auto, BUT they will need a VT if they want one.

i HATE to question you on something...

but if an open queue DOES develp (and yes i know thats a huge IF) then why would there still be VT's?

or is an open queue definately not gonna happen?

But if a guest is not to your fancy , that is just how it is - thanks whatever that we all have different tastes or we would all be queuing for Dave Prowse or Alan Opponheimer or whoever . Is there really ANY need to give an opinion on someone who you are not interested in - just leave the thread to the people who are interested .

Well, yes, I think there is a need to give an opinion! I'm thinking that the people from Showmasters are watching these threads too. We are their customers. They announced a guest. Then she cancelled. (Not their fault). They get another guest. I was just telling them that, as their customer, I preferred the first guest, or someone from the same show. I was telling them that, while a LOT of people are ENTHUSIASTIC about the latest guest, not all are. I didn't insult them, nor did I insult the people who can't wait to meet Mr. Lee, nor did I insult Mr. Lee! And if I did, I'm sorry, that was not my intention.

I wouldn't have shared my opinion had it been (notice the "if" implied) "who, that old idiot of Mr. Lee?" (I DO NOT THINK Mr. LEE IS AN IDIOT, I'M MAKING AN EXAMPLE).

Another example? If you go to a shop to buy the brand new blue shoes they advertised and that you really wanted 'cause they fitted so well with the blue jeans you have, and you go there and they say that the blue shoes are finished, but there are red shoes, would you buy them? I wouldn't, 'cause I wanted the blue shoes! I'd tell the owner "no, thanks, I preferred the blue ones." If the demand for the blue shoes is high enough, it might lead the man to order them again. If nobody asks for the blue shoes, he might decide they are not wanted.

1. Will he sign Dracula

Finding out.

2. Will he personalise / add character names or is this an "auto only" situation ?

Finding out.

3. Posed pics ?

No - he's an elderly gentleman, and flash photos plus standing up every minute or two aren't options.

5. Will gold pass holders just go up and join the queue and get their auto as usual, or will they need to get a VT?

You will need a VT, but SM will hold one back for you to collect when you pick up your packs.

6. can gold pass holders go up more than once?

SM rwill eserve one VT. If you want to go through again, you'll have to collect other VT like everyone else.

7. Can people take children down the queue if they are too young to be left alone?

Yes.

8. Can a child buy an autograph?

Yes if it's genuinely for them. Please don't try and use this to get around the one auto per person rule.

ANYONE can buy an auto, BUT they will need a VT if they want one.

Met him before a couple of years back and he didnt sign character names and he only personalised.

Very nice gesture to hold one back for us sm. Thank You

its not just nice, its also implementing it in a fair manner to make sure the system's not abused - i likey! :wub:

This gold pass, seems like I should have one now, but cool, thanks for the update

JA

at £175 a time (if i recall correctly), its a bit steep unless its the only way to have a chance... sadly they're not for sale now :D

• Showmasters Admin

but if an open queue DOES develp (and yes i know thats a huge IF) then why would there still be VT's?

OK yes if there is an open queue you can just queue up again with no VT.

Well, yes, I think there is a need to give an opinion! I'm thinking that the people from Showmasters are watching these threads too. We are their customers. They announced a guest. Then she cancelled. (Not their fault). They get another guest. I was just telling them that, as their customer, I preferred the first guest, or someone from the same show. I was telling them that, while a LOT of people are ENTHUSIASTIC about the latest guest, not all are. I didn't insult them, nor did I insult the people who can't wait to meet Mr. Lee, nor did I insult Mr. Lee! And if I did, I'm sorry, that was not my intention.

I wouldn't have shared my opinion had it been (notice the "if" implied) "who, that old idiot of Mr. Lee?" (I DO NOT THINK Mr. LEE IS AN IDIOT, I'M MAKING AN EXAMPLE).

Another example? If you go to a shop to buy the brand new blue shoes they advertised and that you really wanted 'cause they fitted so well with the blue jeans you have, and you go there and they say that the blue shoes are finished, but there are red shoes, would you buy them? I wouldn't, 'cause I wanted the blue shoes! I'd tell the owner "no, thanks, I preferred the blue ones." If the demand for the blue shoes is high enough, it might lead the man to order them again. If nobody asks for the blue shoes, he might decide they are not wanted.

It sounds like you are of the opinion here then that Christopher Lee is a replacment for the Stargate guest - he is a guest in his own right , not a replacement for anybody . I am sure that SM were trying to get him before sadly Torri had to pull out .

I know that time is short , but there is still a LITTLE time for SM to get a guest that appeals to you in the same way as Torri - probably not , but I am sure that even if somebody that you like comes along , even they are still not replacements .

I am still waiting for a replacement for MIRANDA OTTO , and another one for AMANDA TAPPING - both of whom have pulled out , being my most important guest , within the last couple of days before a show . In other words , SM do not get replacemnets - they just get guests - and we either like them or don't .

If SM come out with another guest , fantastic , if they don't , shame - it is not personal to you , or me , or anybody .

I am not having a go at you personally , or at anybody , just the I don't want them , I want ONLY them attitude on here sometimes .

Edited by jesterrace

OK yes if there is an open queue you can just queue up again with no VT.

cheers for the clarification :wub:

3. Posed pics ?

Sorry to ask, but will photos (with no flash) of him signing be allowed?

Edited by Satchel Pooch