PHOTO SHOOT AT LONDON FILM

How can I pay on the online shop if I don't have a credit card? May I pay with IMO, or Western Union?

Please, can you answer my mail and let me know?

Thanks a lot, that would be great! :P

unfortunately, SM are probably with autographica this week,so it might be difficult for them to get much else done.

however, if you've a debit card (i assume the western union thing is but i don't know) they might be able to accept it. i'm not sure of that, so don't quote it as fact.

as for a money order, that might not work. i think the way the tickets for the first collectormania party were sold was 'first paid up, first served' - and while i believe that not all tickets were sold at that event, i doubt if the same would occur for elijah, so credit/debit card orders might be reccomended ;)

as i say, i've no idea of the current payment methods available - but if necessary, you could consider borrowing a friend's credit card, if there is someone willing to do that for you.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an advantage of development over printing is hardware costs - without checking quality, PC World start their colour laser printers at approx. £150.

add on the fact that the provided cartridges won't be anywhere near enough to cover the total needed, and you start to add on costs.

now, consider the possibility of technical malfunction. how many service people are really going to be willing to come out on the day to check ANY peice of equipment, especially on the weekend, unless they're paid overtime?

yes, the device may be under warranty, but will that warranty cover a malfunction due to excessive use - or, potentially, mis-handling by the user? if not, then automatically you add on callout and fixing fees. add on a wait of several days if a part is needed, and you realise that its u;timately cheaper and more convinent to have a camera, rather than a fully-stocked maintenance bay ;)

summary - printing is the greater evil, since more can go wrong :P

Depends whether you are expecting to collect a PHOTOGRAPH...or some cruddy INKJET/LASER print. Sure some are quite good and last a couple of years, but they are NOT A photograph.

I know some guys who do these Event photos and the fact they own a camera, take photos and get paid, does not mean they are a Professional Photographer. We call them 'weekend warriors'. Can be adequate sometimes, but from what I've heard and seen of standards of 'event photography' at other shows, well you get what you pay for. But the absolute MUST, is that the photo you get is a PHOTOGRAPH, Developed/printed in a lab, be it Boots, Costco, Jessops or wherever. That will last for as long as you want to keep the photo for. And if you get it signed, the signature will not disapear into the paper as happens with a lot of sub par psuedo 'photo paper'.

A lot of on-the-spot event printing is done with 'Dye Sublimation' machines which are better than inkjet and laser, look almost like a photo. Those machines normally run out at £5000 plus and each print costs around £2 per sheet. It looks like whoever Showmasters are getting to do the photography intend to get the photos PROPERLY printed at a lab nearby Earls Court, which is a good thing and will guarantee that the quality of your print will be good. I know thats what I'd do.

And speaking as a Professional photographer, YES There is for some reason a big difference between getting a 10" x 8" print done and smaller prints, a SUBSTANTIAL Difference in price. After all, its not like they are being sent away to Bonusprint or somewhere......Just try going into your nearest JESSOPS and asking for a 10" x 8" print, done and ready in an hour, how much ? £4.98, now go ask how much a smaller print is....And the problem you have is not many high street labs do 10"x 8" prints on the premises, but most will do 8" x 6" or 9" x 6"

KEITH

To answer a few of the questions which have arisen:

1. Tickets for the photo shoot will go on sale in advance of the event, through the online shop. If any remain by the weekend itself, they will be on sale at the event.

2. The photo size, 6" by 9", is because that's the largest size you can get without the printing costs becoming ridiculous. If we go bigger than that, then the photo shoot price would have to up, and we don't want that.

go up from £20.00 ?? who do you use for photo printing.......... difference in sizes per photo is not usually dramatically different?.........usually a couple of quid extra makes a big difference for one photo......

consider though that there's a reasonable development time (they're not needin to post them out) as well as needing to either pay a chemist or pay someone with knowledge - for the quantity that they're likely to need, you can bet that pretty much anyone's gonna fleece them.

plus elijah might be getting a cut out of it as well (i don't know, but it hardly seems right that he should sit posing for photos for free, when he might be off having a break :P )

and there's also going to be a PROFESSIONAL photographer - its not gonna be a case of 'right, who's got a camera?' - so they need to be paid as well.

it all adds up ;)

Your developer printer is likely to have a set scale of prices for different sizes, and then multiply by a standard factor for each "extra" that you want. So say it's £2 difference on a standard process and print between 6" x 9" and 8" x 10". Stick on something like a 50% multiplier for nominal one hour turnaround and that differential is £3. Stick on another 50% multiplier for it being weekend work and your difference is £4.50. Chuck in some more for having to do it to order and any collection/delivery charges and it'll be a big difference. (It's worth bearing in mind that by going from 6x9 to 8x10 would be a 48% increase in paper consumed, so the difference between the two will be noticeable even on a 3 day service)

This whole idea seems to be an ok one, £20.00 i think is a bit too much but the way the tickets are going to be sold seems a bit off. I agree with an earlier poster, the fastest server shouldnt determine who gets these tickets.........

only seein this one now - admittedly i agree to an extent.

there should be a realistic minimum of half the tickets held onto for the day - not everyone can even shop online...

exactly my point, a percentage should be held back, not just "if theres any left they will be made available on the day". Its almost saying they dont care how they sell them as long as they do. Thats what every business usually does just thought showmasters might have been a bit more loyal and give as many people as possible a chance by varying the purchase method.

So you hold back a number to be sold on the day. What? 50? 100? At an event where there will be hundreds and hundreds of people. That means either you have to start selling them as soon as the door opens (so that's only fair to the early birds and the people that can run fastest when the doors open), or you delay the sale and have people going to that queue as soon as they get there and not doing anything else. And if you only have a very limited number to sell there, how much unpleasantness and nastiness is that going to engender in the queue. It's just a recipe for ugliness. Far better to sell them all beforehand if you can, and have one less queue to manage. (Let's face it, theoretically they could sell the whole event out online in advance and have to turn everybody at the door away).

So not everybody can shop online. I'm afraid to say that's tough. Maybe not everybody can afford a photo at £20 a pop either. Should they cut that down to a fiver each as well to "show some loyalty to the fans"? Not everybody can make it to London that weekend - perhaps SM should do a tour of non-attending fans' houses the week after to be fair to them as well? (Yes, I know I'm being ridiculous.) To sell them on the day is "fair" only to those who can get there early. It is biased towards those who can get there early by dint of living close, or by getting up early and being able to travel very early (perhaps under their own steam rather than public transport) or by being able to book into a nearby hotel the night beforehand in order to get there early. I really don't see how that is any fairer than selling it on the web at a pre-arranged time; if anything websales tend to be a little more democratic, a little more level playing field than "whoever can get there earliest, run fastest and have the best scrummaging technique".

TommyT, with respect, note that the emphasis is on holding back SOME, and not ALL, of the tickets.

only web-based IS unfair, as is only on the day - but consider that the auto tickets ARE only on the day. not only that, they are ONE PER PERSON.

isn't it 'fair' to you that they should be entirely sold online, by your logic?

after all, then it doesn't count at all who runs fastest.

instead, they're given out on the day at an early time - so, like you say, "thats tough."

personally, i believe your idea is slightly ridiculous that the web is 'democratic' - i'm running broadband, but i KNOW for a fact that some of my friends have only got library access, and others have dial-up. libraries usually closes before SM make guest announcements, isn't particularly secure for e-commerce, and certainly is by no means guaranteed to get a seat. dial-up is so slow sometimes (particularly when there's a lot of people on :P ) that there's almost no chance that someone using it can get their details in quick enough.

at least getting there on the day, if you're at the door, things are slightly more equal - everyone's hoping to be the first, and speed is a personal - rather than service - attribute.

Edited by Keeper

TommyT, with respect, note that the emphasis is on holding back SOME, and not ALL, of the tickets.

Which was also one of my points; you then have a very limited number of tickets available for distribution to a seething mass of people. All the more chance of nastiness in the rush to get a ticket.

only web-based IS unfair, as is only on the day - but consider that the auto tickets ARE only on the day. not only that, they are ONE PER PERSON.

One would hope that the online photo ticket sales will also be limited to one per person

instead, they're given out on the day at an early time - so, like you say, "thats tough."

Speaking entirely without inside knowledge, I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen eventually. However, there are certain things which militate against it.

Firstly, there probably isn't the demand to sell out the whole show in advance online.

Secondly, since the linep varies so frequently, there are likely to be people that are added late that couldn't sell out online (wasn't JCB added the night before at CM9?) plus the admin incurred by having to refund people where guests end up cancelling beforehand.

Thirdly, the element of impulse and walk-up sales is no doubt a noticeable source of income to SM.

And anyway, I wasn't saying they should only be sold on line - if it doesn't sell out online, then sure, sell them at the show, but don't hold out a potential carrot to people by deliberately holding back tickets. (It makes sense to SM to sell as many as possible in advance, both from an income guarantee/predictability/visinility point of view, as well as the crowd control and extra queuing aspect

personally, i believe your idea is slightly ridiculous that the web is 'democratic' - i'm running broadband, but i KNOW for a fact that some of my friends have only got library access, and others have dial-up. libraries usually closes before SM make guest announcements, isn't particularly secure for e-commerce, and certainly is by no means guaranteed to get a seat. dial-up is so slow sometimes (particularly when there's a lot of people on :P ) that there's almost no chance that someone using it can get their details in quick enough.

at least getting there on the day, if you're at the door, things are slightly more equal - everyone's hoping to be the first, and speed is a personal - rather than service - attribute.

Firstly I didn't say that the web was entirely democratic - I said that it was "a little more democratic, a little more level playing field" - please don't put words in my mouth.

Secondly, just because they make announcements at 6pm or 7pm doesn't mean that would be the onsale start time. Could be 9am or 10am. Indeed, more likely to be so, because if the websales fall over because of demand, they are more likely to be in the office, and more likely to be able to get tech support to do something about it.

Thirdly, isn't the security of websales dependant primarily on the selling website, rather than where you're buying from (assuming it's a reputable establishment with security that prevents keylogging software)?

Fourthly, if you've got a bad contention ratio, broadband can be less than stellar, especially if you're already downloading something

Fifthly, from experience of buying stuff like Robbie Williams tickest online, even sitting on a whacking great T1 line is no guarantee you'll get through quicker than somebody on dialup.

Finally - "if you're at the door, things are slightly more equal - everyone's hoping to be the first, and speed is a personal - rather than service - attribute." Tell that to the injured, the disabled, the heavily pregnant, and anybody who gets hurt in the crush.

Im not sure i agree with you selling the photo tickets online as not everyone who attends the show is a regular visit to the website. People will turn up to the event and want a ticket for this when they know its available but it'll be too late. Seems harsh on someone who turns up at the crack of dawn........ Surely a first come first served basis would have been fairer and better as it is now just a matter of the fastest click gets the ticket without a lot of people knowing about it and even having a chance. I repeat, not everyone visits the forum or website regularly.

If we do it purely on the day, we will end up with a huge queue to buy the tickets, after people have already queued to get in. The fewer queues people have to be in, the better. It will still be done on a first come, first served basis, as the system records the order tickets are sold in.

it is now just a matter of the fastest click gets the ticket

As opposed to the fastest runners coming into the hall and finding where the tickets were being sold physically, which discriminates against the disabled, and runs the risk of people getting hurt in a scrum.

I repeat, not everyone visits the forum or website regularly.

There is no 100% equitable way to do most things, and in most things in life, someone misses out. All we can do is try and make the playing field as level as possible. If you want tickets for a popular musical act or a major sporting event, would you be saying "they shouldn't sell them in advance, they should just sell them on the day, first come, first served"?

Photos would go up from £20.00 ??

Yes.

who do you use for photo printing.......... difference in sizes per photo is not usually dramatically different?.........usually a couple of quid extra makes a big difference for one photo......

We aren't talking about 1 photo. If you want to be a doubter, go and ask somewhere that develops photos how much it would cost to have a hundred 6" by 9"s developed and back in an hour, then ask them for the price of a hundred 10" by 8"s in an hour.

"If we do it purely on the day, we will end up with a huge queue to buy the tickets, after people have already queued to get in. The fewer queues people have to be in, the better. It will still be done on a first come, first served basis, as the system records the order tickets are sold in."

Agreed but if you made it 50% on day and 50% online it would mean a shorter queue and a fairer way of doing it. But its not too big a problem.

"As opposed to the fastest runners coming into the hall and finding where the tickets were being sold physically, which discriminates against the disabled, and runs the risk of people getting hurt in a scrum".

100% web sales discriminates against people who dont have a pc or for some reason cant get online, computer illiterates and indeed people who cant read, the blind and all sorts...................... (its a no win situation granted so i dont think the whole discrimination argument is worth going into, one way is as bad as another)

as for people rushing into a scrum to get tickets...........does this happen with VT's? If so then maybe these should be distributed online also, (if you see my point)

"We aren't talking about 1 photo. If you want to be a doubter, go and ask somewhere that develops photos how much it would cost to have a hundred 6" by 9"s developed and back in an hour, then ask them for the price of a hundred 10" by 8"s in an hour."

I dont want to be a doubter, no-one is saying anyone is a liar. I undertsand that 100 photos are more expensive than 1 obviously. The price is £20.00 so either pay it or not, just trying to stop you from being ripped off thats all but if you've got the best deal then so be it.

Which was also one of my points; you then have a very limited number of tickets available for distribution to a seething mass of people. All the more chance of nastiness in the rush to get a ticket.

One would hope that the online photo ticket sales will also be limited to one per person

Speaking entirely without inside knowledge, I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen eventually. However, there are certain things which militate against it.

Firstly, there probably isn't the demand to sell out the whole show in advance online.

Secondly, since the linep varies so frequently, there are likely to be people that are added late that couldn't sell out online (wasn't JCB added the night before at CM9?) plus the admin incurred by having to refund people where guests end up cancelling beforehand.

Thirdly, the element of impulse and walk-up sales is no doubt a noticeable source of income to SM.

And anyway, I wasn't saying they should only be sold on line - if it doesn't sell out online, then sure, sell them at the show, but don't hold out a potential carrot to people by deliberately holding back tickets. (It makes sense to SM to sell as many as possible in advance, both from an income guarantee/predictability/visinility point of view, as well as the crowd control and extra queuing aspect

Firstly I didn't say that the web was entirely democratic - I said that it was "a little more democratic, a little more level playing field" - please don't put words in my mouth.

Secondly, just because they make announcements at 6pm or 7pm doesn't mean that would be the onsale start time. Could be 9am or 10am. Indeed, more likely to be so, because if the websales fall over because of demand, they are more likely to be in the office, and more likely to be able to get tech support to do something about it.

Thirdly, isn't the security of websales dependant primarily on the selling website, rather than where you're buying from (assuming it's a reputable establishment with security that prevents keylogging software)?

Fourthly, if you've got a bad contention ratio, broadband can be less than stellar, especially if you're already downloading something

Fifthly, from experience of buying stuff like Robbie Williams tickest online, even sitting on a whacking great T1 line is no guarantee you'll get through quicker than somebody on dialup.

Finally - "if you're at the door, things are slightly more equal - everyone's hoping to be the first, and speed is a personal - rather than service - attribute." Tell that to the injured, the disabled, the heavily pregnant, and anybody who gets hurt in the crush.

This whole discrimintation arguement is stupid as selling 100% online is discriminative against some people and selling on the door is also too. Its not a valid argument and shouldnt really be talked about. The bottom line is as showmasters correctly said, some people will always miss out. It is a no way situation where as far as I see it, 50% web and 50% on the day would be the fairest. Even then people would still miss out. Not too bothered myself as I'd back my chances to get a ticket if its all online........

I do agree with a lot of points people have but if you look at it this way the same thing use to happen with talk tickets.

You had to be very lucky to get though on the phone and you also needed a card.

If they was some tickets left they sold them on the day it would make sense that they do it with these as well.

I think it makes for a lot less queues and it's a lot more sense.

I'm sure showmasters will give us good pics they know if they don't do a good photo shoot this time it will look bad later and people won't want photo shoots again.

They are a business that does things the right way in the end of the day that's the way you get your customers coming back.

How can I pay on the online shop if I don't have a credit card? May I pay with IMO, or Western Union?

Thanks a lot, that would be great! :lol:

unfortunately, SM are probably with autographica this week,so it might be difficult for them to get much else done.

however, if you've a debit card (i assume the western union thing is but i don't know) they might be able to accept it. i'm not sure of that, so don't quote it as fact.

as for a money order, that might not work. i think the way the tickets for the first collectormania party were sold was 'first paid up, first served' - and while i believe that not all tickets were sold at that event, i doubt if the same would occur for elijah, so credit/debit card orders might be reccomended :D

as i say, i've no idea of the current payment methods available - but if necessary, you could consider borrowing a friend's credit card, if there is someone willing to do that for you.

thanks for your suggestions! :o

Thanks a lot, that would be great! :D

as for a money order, that might not work. i think the way the tickets for the first collectormania party were sold was 'first paid up, first served' - and while i believe that not all tickets were sold at that event, i doubt if the same would occur for elijah, so credit/debit card orders might be reccomended :D

thanks for your suggestions! :o

just remember that's all they are - i've no answers as such :P

i'm not affiliated to SM at all, just go along now and then when i've a bit of cash to spend!! :lol:

100% web sales discriminates against people

and I never claimed that it didn't; I argued that it was at best marginally less discriminatory, and from a public order perspective removed the advantage from those prepared to play rough.

who dont have a pc or for some reason cant get online, computer illiterates and indeed people who cant read, the blind and all sorts...................... (its a no win situation granted so i dont think the whole discrimination argument is worth going into, one way is as bad as another)

I'm not going to argue with your list, but I would point out that with all the modern technology, when it comes to the dash for tickets, I'd wager that the "blind person at a specially equipped PC" is considerably less disadvantaged than "blind person in a physical rush of people".

Either way, one might suspect that the number of blind people that wanted a photo was likely to be fairly small anyway...

as for people rushing into a scrum to get tickets...........does this happen with VT's? If so then maybe these should be distributed online also, (if you see my point)

Well, there are some complaints about frenzied rushing for VT queues after every show, so i suppose it's a problem.

The difference here is that distributing VTs online would also incur extra admin for SM. At the moment, all they have to do is give out tickets with numbers on the day. If they did it online they would need to keep a record of who got what number, otherwise large quantities of people would get one and change their number; you'd end up with 100 people all having number 3!

Also VTs are valid for the whole day, so as long as you get one under about 1,000 you'll be OK. SO there's less reason to fight for one. Restrict them to 100 and watch man's inhumanity to man break out...

I do not have a credit card and do not like to use other peoples online. This will be very difficult for me, but am sure I can convince a member of my family to let me risk it!

I can understand both sides of the argument, I do think I would prefer to buy them on the day (coz I know whats been said about fastest runner first, but it also would have something to do with how early you are in the queue surely?) but can see the flip side, as how could anyone physically manage to get a photo op ticket, and a virtual auto queue ticket and a talk ticket. Plus tickets for anyone else you may want to see! That would be a nightmare for anyone I am sure!

I am just pleased about the photo op, there is arguments for both sides.

Is there any chance that showmasters will let us ring up with our card details rather than put them on the net? So put some tickets on the net and have some on the phone line? That way people who are unsure about putting their details online don;t have to?

• Moderators

The website is a secure one, so I don't see a problem? If you're worried about stuff like hacking or whatever, I'd be just as worried about someone tapping your phone :D

I know and I am sure you are right, but its a personal preference. I don't do anything online. Also I mean the forum etc gets hacked sometimes doesn't it? Its just personal, I am sure there is no risk, but I am not too happy about saying to afamily member, can I borrow your credit card to put online? I mean I will do it if I have too, but was just wandering, as I know I am not the only forum member having problems - some of the younger members may not have cards at all?

100% web sales discriminates against people

and I never claimed that it didn't; I argued that it was at best marginally less discriminatory, and from a public order perspective removed the advantage from those prepared to play rough.

who dont have a pc or for some reason cant get online, computer illiterates and indeed people who cant read, the blind and all sorts...................... (its a no win situation granted so i dont think the whole discrimination argument is worth going into, one way is as bad as another)

I'm not going to argue with your list, but I would point out that with all the modern technology, when it comes to the dash for tickets, I'd wager that the "blind person at a specially equipped PC" is considerably less disadvantaged than "blind person in a physical rush of people".

Either way, one might suspect that the number of blind people that wanted a photo was likely to be fairly small anyway...

Well, there are some complaints about frenzied rushing for VT queues after every show, so i suppose it's a problem.

The difference here is that distributing VTs online would also incur extra admin for SM. At the moment, all they have to do is give out tickets with numbers on the day. If they did it online they would need to keep a record of who got what number, otherwise large quantities of people would get one and change their number; you'd end up with 100 people all having number 3!

Also VTs are valid for the whole day, so as long as you get one under about 1,000 you'll be OK. SO there's less reason to fight for one. Restrict them to 100 and watch man's inhumanity to man break out...

i think its ridiculous to be talking about discrimination regarding this subject really, to be honest. Its just a bout selling tickets for a photo op .......

• Showmasters Admin

Hi,

sorry i would search through the forum but due to time i cant but my question is

is it like just one big que for this or is it tickets or what???

JA

Read the FAQ it's all in there. At the bottom of section 2 under Photo Shoot FAQ.

i havent read the rest of the thread so this may of been repeated, but i will not be paying this and in turn will not be getting elijahs auto either, we are basically paying £40.00 for what we usually pay £20.00, sure the picture is 'professional' but £20.00??????? I was looking forward to meeting Elijah but unfortunately this will not be the case. I only hope this fails as i can see it being introduced for all guests and that would be a shame and price most people out of the market.

the photoshoot is SEPERATE, if you read carefully.

and hey, with elijah, it NEEDS to be done to ensure he meets as many ppl as possible - both for signing and for photos.

and as for the costs, i'm not reiterating - go back through the thread. SM have said the photos can't be done cheaper, and that a bigger size would be a ridiculous cost.

Thanks tootall,

one problem, the computer I am on, it blocks have of every website, damn blasted moderated internet!!!

if someone could copy and paste it maybe into this thread, I would be able to see it, Im sorry to be such a nusance

JA

copied from the FAQ:

FAQ about the professional photo session!

How it works:

1) Your photo will be taken by a professional photographer.

2) The shot will be taken in front of a backdrop and with lighting to ensure the best possible image.

3) You will be standing beside Elijah, and not leaning over a table.

4) Your picture will be a 6†by 9†colour photo (not an inkjet print) and, all being equal, should be ready for collection a couple of hours after the shoot finishes.

5) It will come with a mount to keep it safe and nice.

6) All of this combined should provide you with something unique and special.

What time will it be?

11am for 1 hour approx both Saturday and Sunday.

Why this time in the morning? Because it allows people time to arrive and get settled, and leaves time afterwards for the photos to be developed and returned to the show in time to be collected on the same day.

Does this mean I can’t take a picture of Elijah during the autograph session?

No, we will have the queue laid out so that it will be possible to take pictures of Elijah while he is signing while you are queuing. However, it will not be possible to take a photo with Elijah during the autographs, something that would be the case whether the photo shoot was happening or not, due to time constraints.

Does this mean Elijah will be signing for less time?

Yes, but allowing the option of photos with Elijah in the queue would take up more time. We felt this was the best compromise to allow the maximum number of people a chance of meeting him.

What happens if it doesn’t come out for some other reason?

Then you will get a full refund.

How much are the tickets?

£20

Where will it be?

Within the hall, specific spot to be confirmed.

Where do you get the tickets?

Pre-sold from the online shop or on the day if any are still avavilable.

Can I order extra prints?

No

What time will the prints be ready?

Barring unforeseen etc, same day.

How many tickets will be sold?

Around 400.

The Small Print:

Showmasters reserves the right to refuse anyone from taking part in the photo shoot; if payment has already been made then we will refund them.

While it is SMs intention to have all photos developed and back within a couple of hours of the photo shoot ending, if for any reason the photos are delayed then SM will distribute them later in the day. Any uncollected on Saturday will also be available the next day, and if someone has to leave before their photo is available because of any such delay, it will be posted out to them so long as they leave their name and address.